Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

aliencowboy posted:

What the heck is that thing?

Dude those are trees, you should get out more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

This owns, by the way.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

You can make great photos in any light anywhere. To make the photo you are imagining you need an "open enough" forest and "very specific light," that doesn't mean there are other options out there.

If it's taken you literally years and you haven't made the photo you want maybe you need to change something.

Yeah, he could make a photo, but not the photo. I don't even leave the house if the light isn't right.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

FISHMANPET posted:

So I'm going to be going to Chicago next week and then later in Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver, and I want to take some pictures of buildings and such. Are there any "tips" or should I just head downtown in my city and look like a bufoon while I point my camera up at the sky practicing?

Compared to east coast "big" cities, Seattle isn't very impressive building wise. I mean don't get me wrong there are tall buildings downtown (and the Space Needle) but it's nothing like NYC or Chicago. If you are just looking for a skyline photo here your best bet is to make your way to Kerry Park and grab the official tourist shot http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerry_Park_. Seattle is photogenic in many ways but a teeming metropolis of skyscrapers it ain't. Oh and it's Nov so it will be raining.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

20121111-01web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

scottch posted:

Hellllll yes. Those are some sexy clouds.

DSC_7391.jpg by scottch, on Flickr
This is cool.

This is almost cool but the crooked line in the center is upsetting me.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

scottch posted:

The vertical line? This is a pretty old building, much of it isn't straight.

I would just like it more if the edge of the building was parallel with the frame. You don't have to change anything you are happy with on my suggestion, I am weird about geometry in photos.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

dukeku posted:

Took a neighborhood walk, decided to do some "urban" landscapes.

Nikon D800E, Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 AF-S, 1/1000 at f/1.2. Processed in VSCO with LR adjustments for contrast.

Please reshoot it at sunset with the house silhouetted against the setting sun. Otherwise you will never be a published photographer.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I plan on adding a decent penlight to my camera bag to replace the keychain sized maglight that's in there now. Between that and a green laser pointer I should be all good low light focusing.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Metalslug posted:

Laser pointer? Have to try that out.

I'm shooting LF so the ground glass is dark as gently caress at night.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Rubber Slug posted:

My only problem is that doing that sort of HDR thing really emphasizes the chromatic aberration.

Buy better lenses scrub. :smugdog:

Seriouspost: LR also has a CA correction slider, works well.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 28, 2012

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Also Wunderground will give you a %cloud cover in their hourly forcast. I find that incredibly useful when planning shoots.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

BobTheCow posted:

Ooh good tip, thanks. Do you look for anything more specific than lower=better?

My general rule of thumb is anything <10% or >90% cloud coverage is a waste of film unless the light is amazing. This is highly subject though as I tend to photograph scenes with a large amount of sky in them. Even with weather reports I still spend a lot of time looking out my windows on days off hemming and hawing over whether it's worth it to pack up and go shoot.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Whitezombi posted:

This. Many of my images are 75% or more sky (see above 95% sky). But I'm weird. I've been pretty freaking lucky with cloud cover. I never really pay attention to weather reports. I just show up and I win the cloud lottery.

Yeah, it's hard top judge based on a number alone. Here in Seattle I just know that 90% cloud coverage will probably make me unhappy. I used to take more chances with skies when I shot digitally but with film bad skies cost money.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

vote_no posted:

Here's a photographic representation:

Winter on the Puget Sound

High noon in winter.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

xzzy posted:

I like that look. :colbert:

Just need the right setting for it. And a tripod obviously.

Setting? Use Velvia and underexpose it by a stop you scrub.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

xzzy posted:

I meant setting as in scene, subject, or locale. You scrub. :colbert:

Oh well in that case go to Mukilteo (a place for scrubs).

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Whitezombi posted:

I so want to go to Mt Hood.

If there is one thing the PNW does well (there are many things) it's mountains. On a clear day (never) my commute has an amazing view.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

20130117-012-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Whitezombi posted:

Where is this?

Everett Washington, just off I5 on the south side.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
The color one is the best one.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
It has been a little foggy out up here lately. I like it.

20130213-002-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Whitezombi posted:

God. drat.

This owns.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Just wanna say, those test shots are baller as gently caress. Do more like that.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

voodoorootbeer posted:

pennsylvania - unedited by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

I found it really hard to brighten the snow without screwing up the sky, basically.

This is better than the one you posted earlier. just bump the midtones a bit and it'll be good.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

20130218-002-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

20130218-005-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

20130218-003-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

Shot some B&W the other day. Not sure how I feel about the last one.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Whitezombi posted:

The first one is excellent. The third doesn't do much for me.

I'm really happy with the first one and can't wait to get the color shots back from the lab. I don't know what it is about the third, I was all excited to set my camera up specifically to get that shot and then it's just so mediocre.

Dude, you are loving killing it lately with these.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
That third one owns.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Drewski posted:

When I'm on a plane, I like to pretend I'm going into space.

Going into space? by sulakkalus, on Flickr

No one is going to space, mate.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Platystemon posted:

Don’t stop down to f/22 with any lens if you can help it. Diffraction ruins everything at f/22 no matter the lens.

Yeah on miniature formats. :smuggo:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Whelp color 4x5 owns. I'm gonna go broke.

20130301-009-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

20130301-003-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

20130301-001-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

This is rad.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

This is probably the best photo you have posted on here. I would crop or clone out that bit of road on the bottom as it's too noncommittal to add any tension to the composition.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Owns.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Reichstag posted:

This is old but I like it more now than I did then.

You should like it, because it's very good.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Saint Fu posted:

This owns but god I wish the reflection in the top of the windshield weren't there.

Crazy talk, that's one of the best parts.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

David Pratt posted:

Anyone visiting: hit me up if you're coming over, we can go for a beer and talk about how terrible SoundMonkey is without him hearing.

:frogsiren:SOUNDMONKEY IS A BAD POSTER.:frogsiren:
Takes all the fun out of mod sass if he can't hear you.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

This one would own if it wasn't tilted to the left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Doing it in one shot also lessens the chance of anything moving in the frame and you having to do more post just to get it to match up right.