Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

When your indy/UWF(i)/spin off needs Yakuza money to stay afloat you ain't gonna make fun of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

We'll always have the New Japan hidden bosses in Yakuza 0 at least, and the old guys appearing as hidden bosses in the next Yakuza game

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/939563356377067520

Was Raw actually close to getting cancelled by USA in 98?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Spuckuk posted:

Other than Steve Austin, has anyone come back to regular wrestling from a really rough injury like that?

Give me hope for Shibata, basically.

Chono came back from the same kind of injury Austin had which he got from Austin himself botching a Piledriver

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Akira Hokuto not only came back from a broken neck but also kept wrestling in the match where she got the injury :stonk:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Also the fact that Pritchard is a known liar

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hell La Parka was getting over as much as he could just WCW held him down

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Seams posted:

He was pretty bland character and look wise as the Ringmaster as well. He and Pillman were getting over pretty well as the Hollywood Blondes, I thought though?

Hollywood Blondes were getting really over and most people at the time were upset that he got jobbed out when Hogan got brought in.He had a brief ECW run that was good and most thought he was a good signing with great potential for Vince but welp he got the Ringmaster gimmick which was bland as all heck.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

American Wrestling may be fake but the Japanese Wrestling is real as real can be according to Tiger Mask W!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'd make it so all World Title Holders have to wear long boys and when you lose the title you lose the long boys. Thus the new champions gets the belt and the long boys

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Probably been asked before but is there an actual difference between a Lariat, Axe Bomber and Western Lariat?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

They learned from when Cena had part of the crowd turn on him not to listen to crowd reaction alone as he was doing super great business. So while Roman is pretty hated he's not gonna get depushed unless numbers drop. And considering they are on their way to the best quarter they've ever had in profits I doubt the Roman push will be ending anytime soon

And welp, I was wrong to be worried about TV rights fees cause it looks like they'll get the same or more. So get ready for the next 4 or 5 Roman coronations over they next 4 years

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Callis runs from Minoru Suzuki in fear all the time which is cool and good

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

WWE just had it's most profitable quarter ever and Roman main evented the last 3 biggest gate Mania's. He is not the guy but he is not losing money for the WWE

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Thing is until actual numbers go down there is no need for the Roman push to stop. House show numbers seemed to have recovered and while the product doesn't have any heat it's recovered slowly.

The dip last summer really was do unhindered Jinder it seems and that got mostly stopped. So unless Roman tanks that bad or worse which hasn't really happened WWE is gonna keep pushing him as the guy.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

9's wrestling is no worse than most of the earlier mania's but it's the first Mania where you get the feeling the booking is spiteful. Plus the crowd is super dead too

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Always wondered...if Tenryu didn't leave All Japan was Misawa going to unmask anyway or was Baba going to have him be Tiger Mask for a few more years.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Going back to ring size how does the modern New Japan ring compare to the WWE/WCW ring?

Also around when did the WWF tighten it's rope up? Watching the Madison Square garden Tiger Mask matches are always a trip for how loose the WWF ropes were at the time

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dump Matsumoto got insane heat cause she dared attack the Crush Gals and even had to fend off long sewing needle attacks at shows so she has to be up there

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Aj vs Nakamura gimmick match really should be a Toru Yano on a pole match

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hennig's peak WWF run came during Hogan's peak and the WWE didn't do heel champions than. Plus Hogan used politics to get out of working a program with Hennig too. And really as good as Curt was the DiBase was just a bit better and was more over and even he didn't get a run with the title.

Than Hennig's back issues forced him to retire and while he came back it probably killed any chance for him to get a world title run

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I wish Dibiase had been champion at some point (Andre gifting him the belt was never counted, right?) but there was no denying that Hogan was absolutely THE guy and WWF probably would have been nuts not to continue running with him as champ for as long as they did.

In retrospect I think Dibiase should of been the one to win the dirty match with Hogan and they should of kept him as Champion until Mania 4 and built around Savaga/Dibiase. You could do a #1 challengers tournament on TV before hand to get the same result (Dibiase pays someone off to get Hogan/Andre in the first round and they eliminate each other) and Mania 4 wouldn't have been such a dire mess.

But a long run? No, WWF was always a face champion territory until the late 90's. It made no sense to not have the babyface as a long term champion (Though they should of turned Superstar face and ran with him as champion).

Also Warrior wasn't done in by Hogan politics he was just a bad top guy that somehow Vince kept wanting to bring back for reasons

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Gavok posted:

A while back I wrote a listicle on the 100 worst WrestleMania moments. I'm thinking of doing the 40-50 worst Summerslam moments. I don't really have the time to sit through every Summerslam, so refreshing my memory with Wikipedia is good enough.

That said, are there any non-match dumb moments of Summerslam worth recalling? Interviews, backstage segments, etc?

The LOD/Road Warrior entrance with Rocco at Summerslam 92

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Old puro/NOAH question but what did NOAH see in Takeshi Rikio that they had him end Kobashi's streak. Also why did they turn on him so quickly having him lose his second defense? (His only successful defense being against pre Ace of the Universe Tanahashi)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hulk Hogan pushed the Giant off the top of a building in the Monster Truck match as well, which was either attempted murder or murder if you think the Dungeon of Doom brought The Giant back to life

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

VJeff posted:

What promotions are primed for big leaps in the next 5 years? What promotions are looking at big downswings?

That's a hard question to answer right now cause the answer could fully change depending on what happens with the Bucks/Cody/Omega contracts. But as of right now I'd say All Japan and CMLL are probably looking for big leaps forward, especially if CMLL decides to grow globally. Downswings will probably be Revolution Pro and wXw as they get starved out thanks to WWE UK.

WWE should be okay unless they cause Friday night local news ratings to crater for local Fox stations. If that happens than they could be in real trouble.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The whole week of New Years is a major Japanese holiday so the date doesn't matter like it would other times of the year

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Speaking of promotions that should have a down swing

https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/1037972004484182016

Dragons Gate having a rough year yup.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I wonder if he got it cause his contract was one of the few WWE bought from WCW

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Minoru Suzuki is pushed as a shooter and is over cause his image as a tough monster is protected something WWE never does as they have to prove their way is the correct way ( see Ric Flair's first WWE run)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Shelton being a member of Suzuki-gun still seems very odd

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

He 100% keeps getting pushed cause he left and made money elsewhere and it drives Vince crazy. He also probably is there only draw remaining now as they've downplayed Cena

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Pro gamers sure are doing there part to be as awful as pro wresere can be so good job

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

La Park has lost a step but his charisma makes up for it and he also knows how to work around his weaknesses

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Randaconda posted:

God, Ric Flair might have been the best wrestler I've ever seen, overall, that whole year.

It's a toss up between Flair's run in 89, Okada's 17/18 IWGP run and Kobashi's GHC run as best overall title run in terms of in ring quality

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Flair did more All Japan in the early 80's since it was an NWA member. You can find some of his All Japan matches on Youtube IIRC

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

We could of always gotten the Dark timeline where New Japan didn't get English Commentary and kept us with Matt Striker and Yoshi Tatsu

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Did Hogan ever get heavily booed in his face WWF days?

Besides the Undertaker title switch and the Rumble there are reports he got booed when doing a house show feud with Jake Roberts which reportedly why he nixed the feud.

Even during Prime Hogan drawing years Hogan had a shelf life in places and according to Meltzer always tended to draw less each time if they ran Hogan too much in a town.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

New Japan World had a Rev Pro ZSJ vs Kushida match before he joined Suzuki Gun that is pretty great as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Not Tom Magee vs Bret Hart but have Tom Magee vs Riki Choshu in All Japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI9-gF9xbHg

Watch as Tom looks green as hell but does one or two spots that make you go "Maybe he could of been big"