Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Poppa
Aug 21, 2003
Big Poppa is fine.

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Scott Stiner supposedly said that the WWE wanted to give him a drug test when he was there around 2003-2004ish. He said he'd gladly take a drug test if Triple H took one with him.

The issue was dropped.

You see, in a normal drug test - you have a 50/50 chance of failing. But since its Scott Steiner, that percentage goes up to 75%. And then Triple H knows he will fail, so he won't even try.. so we have a 50/50 chance, plus 66 and 2/3, plus....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Poppa
Aug 21, 2003
Big Poppa is fine.

Zanael posted:

What's a "go home show" ?

A go home show is the show preceding a pay per view.

So this week's RAW, ECW and Smackdown are "Go Home" shows to Summerslam. They are supposed to be designed to get last minute buys into the PPV.

Big Poppa
Aug 21, 2003
Big Poppa is fine.

Nothing To See Here posted:

Don't ever change Mr. Steiner :smug:

Huh?!

As for content, I was at the Syracuse Thunder show. It was just a gigantic cluster. DDP was out multiple times, and the end saw Benoit win a title I think. It was pretty sloppy.

Big Poppa
Aug 21, 2003
Big Poppa is fine.

Karmine posted:

How big a draw was Bob Backlund if they kept the title on him for five years? Bruno and Hogan are the only other people with reigns of comparable length and they were both obviously huge draws but they also had way more personality than Backlund.

Backlund was your typical squeaky clean, all american babyface during his title run. It played really well against the heels of that time.

I think especially in the territory days, the heels were the ones that really needed to draw the money. You didn't want to see Backlund win per se as much as you wanted to see Superstay Billy Graham get his rear end kicked.

Big Poppa
Aug 21, 2003
Big Poppa is fine.

MassRayPer posted:

That's not really true. New York had a history of babyfaces who were incredible draws, as did Memphis and the AWA, while other cities like Detroit were more based on heels. Backlund was an OK draw who needed some propping up elsewhere on the card. He was a Vince Sr. guy and the crowds at MSG starting turning on him near the end but he did pretty well.

I guess your pretty much right. I was thinking more of reading how heels tended to travel more to take on the babyfaces of that territory.

So my thinking was more the new heel coming in drew the cash. I probably have it backwards.

Big Poppa
Aug 21, 2003
Big Poppa is fine.

Corzaa posted:

The Royal Rumble is coming up ;)

If I charge for air you better keep the bill paid!

This is still the greatest in ring Mark Henry line.

Big Poppa
Aug 21, 2003
Big Poppa is fine.
I was just thinking for some reason that while in Japan, Hulk Hogan used the Axe Bomber (Lariat) as a finisher instead of his legdrop, even after he was a megastar.

I was wondering if there was anyone else who used different finishers in different parts of the world.

Foley used the Double Arm DDT while in Japan but I think that was more of a Cactus Jack thing. Jericho might have used something different before he started using the Lion Tamer.

Big Poppa
Aug 21, 2003
Big Poppa is fine.

Halloween Jack posted:

Confession time: I invented the "inverted figure four" on purpose before Michaels invented it by botching. I called it "the Machine."

Cool confession time: In high school, I had this stoner sorta-friend who liked to act tough by patting and slapping other guys on his face, like something he'd seen in a mobster movie. One day after a pep rally I was standing around daydreaming when he walked op and slapped me across the face, hard. I had been studying karate for a few years at that point, and without even looking to see who it was I Flair chopped him right below the throat, high on the sternum. He was a bigger guy, but he went to the floor hacking and wheezing.

Speaking of FIIST can we use it now for Brock Lesnar? We could name it gently caress It, Its Shuffle Time.

Big Poppa
Aug 21, 2003
Big Poppa is fine.
I want to know why people are forgetting the Goldust / Rowdy Roddy Piper Hollywood Back Lot Brawl Match. That match was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Poppa
Aug 21, 2003
Big Poppa is fine.

Halloween Jack posted:

Yes, you are very wrong. One, boxing gloves protect the puncher's hands and allow him to hit harder. Two, they make it difficult to get takedowns.

They didn't expect Williams to win because they had ingeniously rigged the rules in his favour. Nothing involving the Brawl-for-All was done with any measure of genius. Williams wasn't even the most decorated amateur wrestler going into the tournament; that would be Severn. They expected him to win because they were seriously marks for his badass reputation. They didn't get that there's a world of difference between a guy with a reputation as a barroom brawler, who was a good athlete years ago, and a guy with serious full-contact martial arts experience who is in shape for competition.

Williams was legit tough and expected to win. But according to JR (who I know is a Dr. Death mark), Williams tore his ACL during the first match and that helped in the defeat. This was all meant to get Dr. Death over and it failed spectacularly.