Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

^ Dusty's elbows are bionic, not metal :colbert:

Veg posted:

Did Lex Luger have metal elbows?

I do believe he actually does have a steel plate in one of his forearms from a motorcycle accident he was in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Pretty sure Corino had a few matches with DQs and count outs during his "I'M OLD SCHOOL" heel run in ECW. Also might have outlawed throwing someone over the top rope for his matches.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

As a matter of fact, here's the match:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xnfkb_team-bischoff-vs-team-austin_sport

EDIT: It was the Dudleys, Booker T, Rob Van Dam, and Michaels vs. Christian, Jericho, Mark Henry, Scott Steiner, and Randy Orton.

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 16, 2009

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

Does anybody have pictures of this?

Not pictures, but gifs of the last shows I remember them doing from MSG:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=339018079
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=368619393
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=368619996

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

Thanks for this, but I meant from the minimalist RAW set from last year with no Titan-Tron.

No, that's pretty much it (those are from Rumble 2008 (duh) and the Piper RAW last year, which was the last Garden RAW, I think). There's usually a very tiny Tron or none at all at MSG. They do the videoscreen door instead nowadays. The exact reason, I assume, is that the setup they have that way allows for maximum seating, because WWE knows they can sell out MSG 9 times out of 10 for major events, so you might as well maximize the attendance. The arena doesn't really need the giant tron, anyway, since the whole point of MSG shows is atmosphere, and lots of it.

Hell, I just realized that one of the only big shows to not have the entrance directly across from hard camera the way they do these days is Wrestlemania XX. Even X was set up that way. Hell, I think Wrestlemania I has roughly that entrance placement, just without the camera setup across from it. :psyduck:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

If you honestly don't think that Vince McMahon relished the chance to bring Bischoff into the WWE and bury him then you're a loving moron, nothing more nothing less. This isn't going by anything written on the dirt sheets either, all you had to do was watch Raw and see how obvious it was.

He was playing a heel authority figure. I wouldn't call being made to look like an rear end every couple of weeks as burial when, well, the real boss of the company has a character to do the same drat thing every chance he gets, even now.

I mean, you're forgetting that Bischoff was over as gently caress as the RAW GM. People seriously hated him and wanted the superstar of the moment to run him over with something slow and heavy. They reached the end of his contract and ended his character in a way to best please the audience. It was like the most professional you could get.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Save Russian Jews posted:

This thread is going places.

Anyway, when was the last time a "secret person/manipulator" angle was not completely disappointing in its reveal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHnY0q3stf8

Technically a "secret person" since they inserted the "Shane and Stephanie sold their WWF stock to a consortium" thing a couple weeks before SS. Wasn't played up very much beyond "if THE ALLIANCE loses, Shane and Steph are gone forever" sort of stuff, but it's still, technically, a reveal.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

LordPants posted:

I thought the Cage match came later? When Bret wrestled Sid for the title and Austin was interfering trying to help so he could beat Bret for the title, then Bret cut the "Goddamn Bullshit" promo.

Or were there two cages matches and I am confused in thinking there was only one?

There was only one. For whatever reason, people seem to have compressed a few weeks of booking into a couple of nights.

What happened was that Bret defended the title against Sid on Raw the night after the Final Four PPV, and they had Austin come out and hit Bret with a chair while he had the Sharpshooter on Sid, kicking off the Wrestlemania storyline proper for Hart/Austin. A week or so later, they set up Taker/Sid for the title at WM, and then like a week or two before WM they had the Hart/Sid rematch in a cage that had Austin helping Bret and Taker helping Sid because both wanted to go for the title.

Which led to the profanity-laden Bret promo and the start of his heel turn. Which takes us into Mania and we know what happened there.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Onmi posted:

I dunno, but when they got backstage he almost fired Arn Anderson on the spot and was going ballistic until Cena stepped up and said he called for the Piledriver in the ring. Now he could have just been taking the wrap or he could have legit called for it, but he basically saved Arn's job. But the moral of the story is Vince was furious, probably because it was a Piledriver on Cena and in his mind he's going "What if he botched, then our top draw on the rode to mania has a broken neck!"

The funniest part is I'm pretty sure the last piledriver like that in WWE was also done to Cena, during the Michaels Wrestlemania match (23?). On the ring steps, at that.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

RealFoxy posted:

It was apparently because Sandman had a bad concussion and kept kicking out instinctively of his pins, but drugs/alcohol could have also been involved.

The exact story is they were doing a "Fans Bring The Weapons" match, and Mick was grabbing things from the front row of fans and whacking Sandman with them. He reaches out and grabs a frying pan, thinking it's a cheap aluminum one from the store next door where most people buy the stuff they hand wrestlers during this match, only to discover with the sound of it hitting Sandman's head that he had grabbed a cast-iron one. Knowing he had just scrambled Sandman's brains, Mick decides to go home early on the match to prevent making anything worse. So he gets Sandman in the ring, double-arm DDTs him, covers him --

-- but this wasn't the planned finish, so Sandman instinctively kicks out. So Mick covers him again and he kicks out again. Eventually Mick just rolls him up so he can't kick out, and gets the hell out of there the moment the ref counts three.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Rude was on all three promotions’ shows that week; RAW was taped so he was on that, he had been working freelance and quit after the Screwjob, where he walked out on Nitro, clean-shaven; and because he was working freelance he was also doing commentary with Styles on ECW Hardcore TV that week.

So for a single week Rick Rude was seemingly everywhere.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

[quote="“dromal phrenia”" post="“476397662”"]
What are some of Hiroshi Tanahashi’s very best matches? I only started watching NJPW relatively recently (The G1 Climax, and some AXS TV before that) and I understand that he was their biggest star for a while, but I’m not very impressed so far from what I’ve seen. I know he was injured for the G1 and probably before it too, and despite a bicep tear he was still good but he’s clearly nigh-legendary and I want to see why.
[/quote]

There’s a pretty great Shibata/Tanahashi match from Destruction in Kobe in 2014, which has my favorite “almost counted out” spot ever. There’s also his title defense against Suzuki at Wrestle Kingdom VI, there’s a pair of really good Nakamura matches in 2011 - I want to say at Dontaku and the G1 Climax - and anything with him versus Okada turned out really, really good, except maybe arguably their first one, the New Beginning match that came out of the challenge following the above-mentioned Suzuki match.

And while watching all of this, remember: this motherfucker came back to wrestling from being stabbed to become the “Once in A Century Ace”.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Venomous posted:

I now see Omega winning the 2018 New Japan Cup (against Shibata??? lmao) and beating Naito at Sakura Genesis. He needs a run of his own, and I now see why this wasn't his year. He can lose the title back to Okada or whoever at Dominion.

e: gently caress it, give Ishii a run after Omega

They're going to give Naito the title for minimum six months, this is his crowning as a real deal "carry the company" top guy (he'll even be the first briefcase holder to actually beat the champ at WK) and also a reason to give Okada a drat rest for a couple of months so he can go and get married and recuperate. I can't imagine the title's going off Naito until Dominion, if not even later than that and he carries it to King of Pro Wrestling.

He'll probably drop it to Omega, though, when he does.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

To hear Michael Cole one day say "he calls that the Nico Nico Knee" is to dream an impossible dream.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

"Listen here, dawg, you ever play Halo 2?" would be the opening salvo of some of the most ridiculous words to come out of anyone's mouth in wrestling since Michael Cole tried to pretend he knew anything about Final Fantasy.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

That Andre died shortly after passing him the torch at WM 3.

I mean, he's The Immortal Hulk Hogan, six years is like a snap of the fingers to him.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The WWF Junior Heavyweight title was also essentially just a New Japan title after 1978, when Fujinami won it. It was eventually abandoned in 1986 for the IWGP Junior title that's around today. I'm not even sure if Vince remembers it exists.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

VJeff posted:

Can I get a bit of context to this moment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvn1sxyf9Fw

I only started really paying attention to NJPW after Shibata went down earlier this year. I know the details of his injury and kinda vaguely know his story (left during the dark ages, pissed everybody off, came back, slowly redeemed himself and climbed his way up the card). I guess what I'm asking is what led to this crazy reaction for him showing up at the G1 Climax? It's not just a big pop for a beloved guy returning, people are audibly completely stunned when his music hits and visibly emotional throughout the entire thing. Is it just that people never thought they'd see him in the ring again?

The New Japan fanbase took incredibly hard to Shibata and the redemption story that his run had been up to that moment at Sakura Genesis. He was legit one of the most popular guys in the company, and the idea of this guy who went from completing the story and being the last of the Three New Musketeers to gain that main event spotlight to wiping out the entire possibility of wrestling ever again in an instant is the most tragic thing.

So hearing his music, in the same arena that his career ended in - with a lot of people who probably had witnessed that career-ending moment in attendance - was a very emotional moment. If anyone ever expected to see him showing up at a show again, they had to have been thinking in terms of years, not months.

Edit: a somewhat equivalent thing would be when Kobashi came back to NOAH after beating cancer.

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 27, 2017

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Has anyone kicked out of the Rainmaker AFTER the tombstone? I know the Rainmaker gets kicked out of all the time now, but what about the one-two of those two moves?

Yes to the normal tombstone to Rainmaker, no to the jumping spinning one.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

Savage also tried to pin Yokozuna in the 93 Rumble and got bellyflopped over the top rope for it, so his grasp on the rules was always questionable

I still want to know what the gently caress Patterson was thinking with that finish, because that was the final elimination. I'm guessing Randy didn't want to seem like he was straight overpowered in a standoff with Yoko, so Pat was like "well, we've established you're a crazy guy, just go for a pin or something after you hit the elbow and he'll kick out so hard you go over the top rope" and nobody stopped and went "that's loving stupid, just get obliterated by the guy like five times your size that we're putting the strap on in three months"

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Generally not, it isn't a particularly prestigious thing on its own to win and since the start has been basically "decide a #1 contender to the IWGP title for the spring Ryogoku show", adding the secondary titles (IC, NEVER, and now they'll probably mention the US title as a potential choice) as they were invented. Literally one person has challenged for a different title, which was Nakamura wanting his IC belt back from Tanahashi.

If they do put Okada in it this year, there's gotta be some angle they're gonna pull in like the semi-finals or something, since the champ winning the Cup doesn't really do anything for anyone.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Japan actually doesn't offer dual citizenship, you have to abandon previous citizenship to naturalize in. He most likely is just considered a permanent resident. He probably won't make a decision about whether to pursue naturalization until after he retires.

Which, no one could blame him, the actual process of becoming a Japanese citizen is one of the most goddamn ridiculous things in the world.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

You don't necessarily have to if you're Korean or Chinese - as there will likely be kanji that matches up to your name (as after all, kanji is derived from hanzi - Han Chinese - as is hanja, a Korean term/take-off of it, so there's a "swappable" nature at hand). The guy who owns SoftBank, the richest guy in Japan, used this sort of linguistic loophole (which Japan only made legally acceptable in 1983) to basically retain his name in 1990 when he abandoned his Korean citizenship - having been the grandchild of immigrants to Japan who evidently never abandoned their natural citizenship.

But if you have a Latin-derived name like most of the rest of the world, you have to either decide to have your name be phonetically done in katakana (タイソン = TAISON, スミス = SUMISU) or decide on a new name/a name that closely resembles the meaning of the one your parents and bloodline gave to you, at least as far as I understand it (which I believe Akebono did). I imagine like harperdc or someone might be more aware of the peculiarities.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Akebono was his shikona (ring name) from the time he entered sumo. He adopted it as his legal name when he naturalized. I'm not sure why he chose Taro as his given name; does Chad convert to Taro in that system?

Chad means battle, and Taro with the kanji he chose can be taken as saying strong or heroic or masculine, so on some very vague level, maybe? It might also be something also related to sumo somehow. I couldn't tell you if that was the case, though, I've never gotten deep into sumo.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Show will always be over, he's an Attitude Era guy, and the WWE audience at this point is like 90% people who have been watching at least since then.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

His match with Bret at the '93 Rumble is pretty good

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

The inherent goodness and love of the Staypuft Marshmallow-Man as filtered through Ray's memories was able to contain and imprison Gozer's evil, until the Ghostbusters' unwarranted attack gave it the opening it needed to take control :colbert:

This is the face of something not corrupted by evil, sure

(now that I actually look at this thing for an extended period of time, how the gently caress did we all buy that it could climb the side of a skyscraper without scraping half of its body off going up)

Also, he stepped on a church, and nobody steps on a church in my town.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

In Japanese words and names, a lot of the time i's and u's are whispered. The way you don't actually say "day-sue" when saying "desu", you just say "des" with the silent u making the s more of a hard stop.

Once you know this, it makes a ring announcer going "KAZ-U-CHI-KA O-KA-DA" really loving annoying to hear because the I in Kazuchika is silent. Ka-zu-chka.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

shiksa posted:

or simply, "little kazu"

"REPRESENTING CHAOS... THE IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION... LITTLE KAZU!"

"Chuck, get out of the ring"

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

VJeff posted:

I've heard the term King's Road a few times, can anybody tell me what it means?

I guess it's the difference between the storylines and the roster being absolutely dire and being like "wow this is poo poo" and the roster being so good and the storylines not being there and being like "wow this is so close to being good, it's really frustrating"

King's Road is the All Japan wrestling style. Whereas Strong Style is strikes and submissions and MMA influences, King's Road is throws and brawling and suplexes and NWA style storytelling, derived from the fact that All Japan was in the NWA up until 1989.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

bessantj posted:

Watching the Taker/Mankind HiaC match and the Mankind bump that dislocated his shoulder, what in you opinions are the top 2 or 3 sickest looking bumps that the person walked away from?

Okay, so the bump was technically Marty's, but the fact that Ospreay worked like ten more minutes and the two worked in psychology targeting the neck after that...

Yeah, this looks bad, but by the end, it looked... well, worse. Still one of the best frames WWE has ever managed to catch:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

In honesty though it’s probably new jack getting his skull crushed, new jack stabbing a dude, New jack trying to kill gypsy joe or new jack throwing vic grimes off a huge scaffold trying to kill him

I recant my suggestions in light of remembering New Jack exists and that I once paid $24.95 or whatever it was and witnessed an attempted murder

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

That’s exactly what it’s for, Lance explained it on one of his F4D episodes. It’s not supposed to cover family or home injuries/sickness; it’s just a card you hand over if you’re, like, rushed to the hospital or something during a show, and you never hear a word about the bill ever again.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Von Linus posted:

Suzuki is a big fan of the singer, got her music as his entrance, and everyone likes it because 1: It's Suzuki, 2: It's pretty catchy, 3: it builds to that cathartic moment where she sings Kaze Ni Nare and everyone else can.

Specifically she was his favorite idol growing up (she started in the early 80s when Suzuki was a teenager), and one of his dreams was that he would have one of her songs be his entrance song.

And in 2004, he got better than he dreamed for when she wrote a song for him. These days, she’s leaning on the song and the association with Suzuki pretty hard, I want to say she helped write the Suzuki-Gun faction theme too in addition to making the anniversary remix of Kaze.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Bigass Moth posted:

It was Brad Maddox and Xavier Woods in her videos.

Yeah, weirdly for a cokehead, Del Rio hasn't done something that particular sort of scumfuck yet.

Just everything else. But I guess he draws the line at uploading revenge porn, or he had coke dick every time he tried to shoot (take that phrasing as you will), who the gently caress knows

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

davidbix posted:

I never even got the impression Maddox uploaded revenge porn, though. I thought his iCloud got hacked.

I mean, that was what happened, yeah

I’m just saying Del Rio would probably upload it himself because Del Rio’s a massive rear end in a top hat

He just somehow hasn’t, even though if he’s like any of the other abusive boyfriends I experienced my friends dating, he probably had some recording of sex they had that he would threaten to expose to the world during big arguments

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

TriffTshngo posted:

I think that match was like 3 minutes

It was somewhere in the 3-5 minute zone, yeah. It was also like the smartest idea because sure Kane with Daniel Bryan and Ryback could deal with the shield in a ladder match, but him with the New Age Outlaws? Yeah, you can only really book “dominant trio who are intricately skilled at attacking from all angles beat the everloving poo poo out of three guys whose ages combined are like close a century and a half old”

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I've never actually seen this one, just reading about it made me extremely uncomfortable. And the booking makes no sense.

It is the most awkward match, with way too much storyline when it probably should have been “Vince struts to the center of the ring, talks poo poo, Bret punches him like he did in Montreal, slaps on the Sharpshooter and Vince taps and Bret holds on for an extra long time before releasing, out comes Tyson/DBS/Natalya, celebration, onto the next match”.

I guess Bret wanted to get all his family who kept begging for jobs in the company to get a Mania payday.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

They went from vampire adjacent wrestlers to just wrestlers after the TIT ladder match (:russo:), and then over the next couple years slowly got goofier with the biggest switch coming out of backstage stuff with Kurt Angle, which led to them cutting pre-match promos and the "for the benefit of those with flash photography..." before eventually Christian betrayed Edge and Edge turned face for a while.

If I'm not mistaken, Christian calling the crowd his "peeps" was supposed to be a heel move but the crowd dug it and started cheering him, and then Christian ran into the JAAAAAAAAWN CEEEEEEEENA train and got trapped in mid-card hell before eventually bouncing when his contract was up and being the Biggest Signing In NWA TNA History Until Kurt Angle Arrived

So to answer your question: yes

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Probably the Benoit match in Kansas City. I think it was in Kansas City, either way WCW told Bret "you can pick anyone to work with and go have like a twenty, thirty minute match" and he picked Benoit as, well, Canadian, Dungeon-trained, worked with Owen in New Japan, and the obvious "we can go out and tear the house down without even having to think about it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

At the very least, the crowd booing the Rock led to one of the greatest gifs ever:

Roman's dead-eyed stare direct into hard camera makes it