Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I pulled for the No Limit Soldiers just because I wanted Brad Armstrong to get a push so badly. Even if it was some weird response to Road Dogg getting over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Jacques says he's on the poo poo list with Vince, but I can't find if he's ever said why (or if he knows. It is Vince after all.)

Edit: Apparently it's because he's just a massive douche. Nothing fancy, just nobody can stand the guy.

Pierre Ouellette says (granted, this is hearsay) that he's not even on speaking terms with his brother Raymond.

Another great forgotten line from That Bret Hart Promo is when he called Psychosis "a high flyer of the highest magnitude".

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STAC Goat posted:

I pulled for the No Limit Soldiers just because I wanted Brad Armstrong to get a push so badly. Even if it was some weird response to Road Dogg getting over.

Hell, same.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Supposedly a few people in the locker room pushed for him to get that spot because he'd always been a good guy who made people look like a million bucks, and I appreciated Brad's work, so you ain't alone

Also no joke I'd watch the poo poo out of a competitive Hart vs Psychosis match

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Jason Sextro posted:

Pierre Ouellette says (granted, this is hearsay) that he's not even on speaking terms with his brother Raymond.

Another great forgotten line from That Bret Hart Promo is when he called Psychosis "a high flyer of the highest magnitude".

Pop Pop!

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
I watched it for the first time in years after reading this thread yesterday. Bret calling Psychosis 'Hypnosis' and his eye roll were hilarious too.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

surf rock posted:

I'm watching a couple of the past Hall of Fame ceremonies, and with Trish's induction of Lita, I'm really struck by how much she sounds like Alexa Bliss. Her voice is really similar, but beyond that, they also both have a really natural manner of public speaking. Was Trish good on the mic when she was wrestling, or did this skill come about later?

She was always pretty comfortable on the mic. It took a while for her to really get good on it (and admittedly it's been a while since I've watched her promos), but from what I'm remembering she was always pretty natural at it. She was by far the best female speaker they had in the years that she was in the company.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Stupid Pro Wrestling minutia question. When Brock was about to debut originally, there were dark match reports of him winning matches with the TKO, which at the time I took to mean the Marc Mero finish fireman carry cutter. So is that TKO just a miscalling of the yet to be named F5, was he actually using the TKO, or was it a reference to winning by TKO, which he did regularly with his multiple powerbombs finish he used for a while after his tv debut?

Making this much harder to answer is the fact that Brock Lesnar TKO now only really shows that Randy Orton finish and UFC results.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Gaz-L posted:

Do I have a cruiserweight for you, then!

I somehow completely forgot about the existence of Roderick Strong, been a while since I've watched WWE

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Spuckuk posted:

I somehow completely forgot about the existence of Roderick Strong, been a while since I've watched WWE

Wouldn’t have made a difference.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Web Jew.0 posted:

Wouldn’t have made a difference.

He's been buried along with Gran Metalik and Hideo Itami?

Because I'd REALLY like to see 'Hideo' back in Japan

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

Feels Villeneuve posted:

El Dandy v. Satanico had a hair match that was like considered a top ten all time CMLL match back in 1990 iirc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMpe0N7GRvg

spoilers for a 28 year old match: Hot start setting up Satanico as the rudo, will el Dandy even make it to the ring to start the match? oh gross, Satanico just bites el Dandy's face to get some blood started. Neat commercial break bumpers. The Gorry special into pin gets like a dozen replays. Awesome workouts from Pentagon and I want to say Blue Panther in picture in picture while the match starts the third fall. El Dandy gets bitty and Satanico gets a crimson mask. Return biting gets el Dandy even more color. Satanico hits an awesome jumping DDT and el Dandy has a perfect suicide dive through the ropes. I agree with the announcers that we have some excellent lucha going on here. They start trading near falls, then big whips to the corners, el Dandy ends up outside and Satanico hits a big dive on him from over the top ropes. Satanico his lots of planchas but can't put Dandy away. Ref bump and Dandy fakes a low blow and gets the third fall. Is this cmll, seems more like a Triple A finish. El Dandy gets a flower lei which is nice.

good lucha, good heat, weak finish: three and a half stars would recommend a watch if you got 30 minutes

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It’s a loving shame that Jacques Rougeau is an rear end in a top hat, because he had amazing charisma and rescued a lovely gimmick by going all in, like Barry Darsow with the Repo Man. His reaction to Ray Combs’ insults at that one Survivor Series are magical.

EDIT: Also his entire routine during the early 90s Summerslam when he had to spend a night in an NYC jail because he lost to Bossman.

Also, please point me to more stories about Ray Traylor, because I’ve heard nothing but good things about the guy, especially his charity work.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 6, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It’s a loving shame that Jacques Rougeau is an rear end in a top hat, because he had amazing charisma and rescued a lovely gimmick by going all in, like Barry Darsow with the Repo Man. His reaction to Ray Combs’ insults at that one Survivor Series are magical.

EDIT: Also his entire routine during the early 90s Summerslam when he had to spend a night in an NYC jail because he lost to Bossman.

Also, please point me to more stories about Ray Traylor, because I’ve heard nothing but good things about the guy, especially his charity work.

He gave away Terri at her 2nd wedding in 2002 because her dad had passed away.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

No Luck Needed posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMpe0N7GRvg

spoilers for a 28 year old match: Hot start setting up Satanico as the rudo, will el Dandy even make it to the ring to start the match? oh gross, Satanico just bites el Dandy's face to get some blood started. Neat commercial break bumpers. The Gorry special into pin gets like a dozen replays. Awesome workouts from Pentagon and I want to say Blue Panther in picture in picture while the match starts the third fall. El Dandy gets bitty and Satanico gets a crimson mask. Return biting gets el Dandy even more color. Satanico hits an awesome jumping DDT and el Dandy has a perfect suicide dive through the ropes. I agree with the announcers that we have some excellent lucha going on here. They start trading near falls, then big whips to the corners, el Dandy ends up outside and Satanico hits a big dive on him from over the top ropes. Satanico his lots of planchas but can't put Dandy away. Ref bump and Dandy fakes a low blow and gets the third fall. Is this cmll, seems more like a Triple A finish. El Dandy gets a flower lei which is nice.

good lucha, good heat, weak finish: three and a half stars would recommend a watch if you got 30 minutes

i went 4.5 but it's a great match either way even if the finish is weird. they actually had a whole feud that year and all the matches were worth watching. Dandy owned

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
this is also a great Dandy '90 match that's in a completely different style to the Satanico matches. some people who know a shitload more about Lucha than I do called this one of the best mat wrestling lucha matches ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0fLKAa3QFU

that's an all-time great lucha brawl and an all-time great lucha technical match in the same year, you can absolutely make a case for Dandy as the best wrestler on the planet in 1990

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 6, 2018

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Spuckuk posted:

He's been buried along with Gran Metalik and Hideo Itami?

Because I'd REALLY like to see 'Hideo' back in Japan

No, he's had some decent wins recently, and he's in the mix for the cruiserweight title

edit: including a win over itami

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

remusclaw posted:

Stupid Pro Wrestling minutia question. When Brock was about to debut originally, there were dark match reports of him winning matches with the TKO, which at the time I took to mean the Marc Mero finish fireman carry cutter. So is that TKO just a miscalling of the yet to be named F5, was he actually using the TKO, or was it a reference to winning by TKO, which he did regularly with his multiple powerbombs finish he used for a while after his tv debut?

Making this much harder to answer is the fact that Brock Lesnar TKO now only really shows that Randy Orton finish and UFC results.

Someone answer this good question.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Baron Corbyn posted:

Don't you have to take a Japanese name? I think I remember reading Akebono had to change his name when he became Japanese.

The Cameo posted:

But if you have a Latin-derived name like most of the rest of the world, you have to either decide to have your name be phonetically done in katakana (タイソン = TAISON, スミス = SUMISU) or decide on a new name/a name that closely resembles the meaning of the one your parents and bloodline gave to you, at least as far as I understand it (which I believe Akebono did). I imagine like harperdc or someone might be more aware of the peculiarities.
Akebono was his shikona (ring name) from the time he entered sumo. He adopted it as his legal name when he naturalized. I'm not sure why he chose Taro as his given name; does Chad convert to Taro in that system?

Suplex Liberace posted:

I like when my homie Kevin Sullivan does them and lands knees locked straight.
two feetsy-weetsys to the belly-welly

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

Are there any really good Hurricane matches that I should watch? I checked out of wrestling before he got big in WWE but I'm finding him really entertaining. I just don't know anything about him. I've watched these and found them to be fun matches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfAXFGP8H7o (Kane vs. The Hurricane)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO7q1HxqFxM (Kane and The Hurricane vs Lance Storm and Christian) Kane's music was so bad with the singing.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Versus the Rock, but go out of your way to find the promos they did during the feud first.

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

Versus the Rock, but go out of your way to find the promos they did during the feud first.

Those promos are great haha, thanks. I never realized The Hurricane was that big to feud with The Rock.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He really wasn't, which was the amazing thing. He just kind of crossed Rock out of the blue, then shut him down in promos when no one ever really did that. It was like if Jack Gallagher turned up on Raw and randomly clowned all over Cena.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Austin was injured and they needed a placeholder feud in between PPVs. Rock went with Hurricane because he's the least selfish main eventer ever.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !
My favorite memory of the Hurricane is the Royal Rumble where he came in and tried to double chokeslam HHH and Austin. The look on their faces really made this.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I wish The Hurricane could have been a bigger deal than he was.
But comedy gimmicks have a ceiling.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

He really wasn't, which was the amazing thing. He just kind of crossed Rock out of the blue, then shut him down in promos when no one ever really did that. It was like if Jack Gallagher turned up on Raw and randomly clowned all over Cena.

Then the day after The Rock left, Triple H squashed him in a under-5 minute TV match with no buildup because

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I have Jim Cornette's book and he has a story about when he was starting out in Mid South, they were getting such volcanic heat that Ray Traylor (who was a complete novice) was put with him and the Express, to learn and also to provide him with security because people kept trying punch Cornette in the back of the head or attack them in some way. Anyway he was Big Bubba, I think, and One of their opponents (Dusty, I think?) smashed a wooden chair over Bubba's head, it broke into pieces, and after, Jim said 'wow you really gimmicked that chair' and the guy responsible said he forgot.

Another time there was a car door slammed on Ray's hand while they were trying to get away from fans and he just no sold it till they got into the car, away from the fans, then he started swearing like a motherfucker. Kayfabe baby.

Of course, they're Cornette stories, so take them for what they're worth.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love Bossman. That man brought being a heel to unseen heights.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
His feuds in '99-'00 when he just went insane were incredible.

YER A BIG NASTY BASTARD! AND YER MOMMA SAID SO!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Randaconda posted:

We've seen it before in Wacky Races.
Bossman needed a Muttley.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

ChrisBTY posted:

We've seen it before in Wacky Races.
Bossman needed a Muttley.

Could have worked.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Randaconda posted:

bossman was the heel i truly hated as a kid. he had two main gears, huge rear end in a top hat, and "hey man, look, i know i've been a huge rear end in a top hat but i've gotta be real here with ya for a second" before revealing the latest rear end in a top hat thing he did. fundamentals.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Akebono was his shikona (ring name) from the time he entered sumo. He adopted it as his legal name when he naturalized. I'm not sure why he chose Taro as his given name; does Chad convert to Taro in that system?

Chad means battle, and Taro with the kanji he chose can be taken as saying strong or heroic or masculine, so on some very vague level, maybe? It might also be something also related to sumo somehow. I couldn't tell you if that was the case, though, I've never gotten deep into sumo.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

The Cameo posted:

Chad means battle, and Taro with the kanji he chose can be taken as saying strong or heroic or masculine, so on some very vague level, maybe? It might also be something also related to sumo somehow. I couldn't tell you if that was the case, though, I've never gotten deep into sumo.

It's just a common Japanese name, but yeah it's very masculine in meaning, so it fits pretty well with Chad.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

DeathChicken posted:

Yes, it was basically a dumb comedy segment that WWE would do and Hurricane was a really over comedy gimmick at the time. You know, the kind of thing Vince will do with his big main eventers where they run into the goof of the locker room for a cheap laugh. Hurricane and Rock played off each other so drat well and as you mentioned Hurricane was able to shut-up Rock when nobody (not even Austin or HHH) could do the way he did. WWE ran for it for a little bit even though Rock was part-time in 2003.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I forget, did Rock take the chokeslam for Helms when they did the match?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I forget, did Rock take the chokeslam for Helms when they did the match?

Yep.

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

Justin Godscock posted:

Yes, it was basically a dumb comedy segment that WWE would do and Hurricane was a really over comedy gimmick at the time. You know, the kind of thing Vince will do with his big main eventers where they run into the goof of the locker room for a cheap laugh. Hurricane and Rock played off each other so drat well and as you mentioned Hurricane was able to shut-up Rock when nobody (not even Austin or HHH) could do the way he did. WWE ran for it for a little bit even though Rock was part-time in 2003.

His gimmick and the way he sells it kills me for some reason. Him flying on the titantron cracks me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Sold it like he'd been shot, too.

The thing that pissed me off about HHH beating Hurricane right afterwards was they didn't have a ton of over faces at the time, so they could have built him up without rocketing him to the main event. He couldn't even give the kid the courtesy of beating him with the Pedigree, he put 'em away with a loving sleeper. A move he never won with before or since, it very much felt like he was flipping the Rock off in a sense; "Oh you wanna do business, do you? Swell, here's what I think of that."

Like I'd love to hear the explanation for it. I was never a huge fan of the gimmick (although "Stand back there's an rear end whooping comin' through!" will never not be funny) but it was wildly over and sold merch, so even if you think it's stupid, loving RUN with it!

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 8, 2018