Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Chiming in to say that the only Ghostbusters toy I had when I was little was the firehouse, and let me tell you....it was loving cool. I used it as the base for all my other action figures. Ninja Turles, GI Joes, and even Aliens & Predator toys all used the firehouse as an HQ. It really was one of the best toys I ever had.

Haha I was exactly the same. It really was the best toy, even better than Castle Grayskull. Man those were the days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

This is my favourite film ever. Watched it at the IMAX in London on Friday (biggest screen in Britain! Hell yeah).

I had a smile on my face the whole time. The picture and sound were both great, about 75% full, lots of laughs, and you're drat right I started a round of applause at the end. I'll never forget that experience, it was wonderful.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Ghostbusters is my absolute favourite film. That said, I'm totally on board with a third one helmed by the guys who did 21 Jump Street.

I can totally see it working with the right talent like Jonah Hill, if they keep to the same mood of the first, like a sort of throwback to 80s film aesthetics. Everyone will treat Ghostbusters really respectfully I'm sure. They wouldn't even need the original guys in it to work, but obviously I'd love to see them back.

And if it all goes wrong and sucks horribly? Well Ghostbusters will still be the best film ever made. I love this plan, I'm excited to be a part of it!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The thing is it's Ghostbusters, they don't need to explain anything or set anything up. Have the main character answer a job advert or just stumble into a job as a Ghostbuster. Establish relationships then set up your big bad boss. We don't need to see 3/4 friends come up with the Ghostbuster idea. That would be the fastest, best way to do it I think.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

You cannot do a GB film without proton packs, the firehouse or the car. You just can't. It would be like Star Trek without the Enterprise. For that reason it should be a sequel, or set it in the 80s why not.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

computer parts posted:

So, Deep Space 9?

The Enterprise was in the first episode of DS9! Because it was an important bridge between the two series...

Why even call it Ghostbusters without the car or firehouse, the most iconic things from the movies? Because it has ghosts in it?

EDIT: that's a good cast above!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That truly is a wonderful article, and makes you appreciate the talent behind by the film even more.

Just watched this again, if you ever wanted to know what Murray would have looked like in GB3... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1U6FaoCGUo

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Two lines that I always felt were weird, and I've never known why they were included:

1: (after Ray says not to look directly at the trap) Egon: "I looked at the trap, Ray!"

2: Walter Peck: "You can have it your way, Dr. Venkman."

The first makes no sense because Egon is the cautious type. I mean, he even warns them about not crossing the streams less than 5 minutes previous.

The second line comes right after Peter threatens Peck with a court order. I would have rather Peck say something like "This doesn't have to go badly" or "You don't know who you're messing with", but as it stands, it's almost like Peck is saying "Ok, you could sue me and win, for me doing my job".

1) It's a joke. C'mon man...

2) No, he's saying "You can have it your way, because I'm coming back here with a court order and the cops to wipe that smile off your face." Then he does. He's a smarmy, power hungry rear end in a top hat after all.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

He's dressed as a nanny because it's the kinda dumb thing that he'd come up with AND it's loving creepy.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

OK sure, I'll post some words.

Ghostbusters is my favourite film. It is flawless. A masterpiece. Perfect. I will fight you if you say otherwise.

I knew I was going to watch this, so I avoided all trailers, news and stupid political BS going in (people judging films on trailers really don't know how the industry works and all trailers are awful).

So, in my opinion... I enjoyed it. I mean I wanted to enjoy it, it made me laugh, I had fun. Though weirdly enough I do agree with everything RLM said in their review. Feig is a pretty talentless director if this was his best shot. Very bland.

What's super interesting to me is to compare 1984 (aka the best year) to 2016, and nothing encapsulates this more than the opening scene, which is of course, and really had to be, the same as in the original. The set up. The reveal of the ghost. Now, the original is understated, it's haunting, it's quick, it's SUBTLE. The 2016 version is a loving episode of Goosebumps in comparison. There's chairs being thrown, stairs collapsing, slime everywhere, muttering to oneself, it goes on and on...

What was all the slime there for? What was it doing? Did it all disappear? How did that guy get out? Didn't he die in the slime? WHAT IS HAPPENING

Another major complaint is how they treat the ghosts. The first time we see the librarian ghost in the original is a great moment. It's spooky, it's a big deal, and it reveals a lot about their characters. Egon is scared and tries to deal with it with science. Peter, the motor mouth, is stunned into silence. Ray is in awe. In this movie they eat loving Pringles and talk talk TALK. The ghosts are not a big deal. They are not scary (apart from to Patty, who is the only one that I can say hands down that has a character).

I mean yes, it's badly edited (seriously, the way the song just fades out at the beginning is like a university student's first year film), and the jokes rely on talking over the punchlines about the punchlines, improv city, but I had a pretty good time and think they could do really well next time with a better director.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

GB84 is a super good movie but are you sure you aren't just remembering it as more serious and scary because you were a little kid when you first saw it?

Look at the actual scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kj2bF8dDNs

It's a super goofy ghost and the music and sound effects is straight out of a cartoon.

It is a super good movie, but that scene is not the the first scene...

But compare that scene to when they see their first ghost in 2016. In the original the movie just kinda stops. The music is otherworldly. The movie treats the ghost with absolute seriousness. Not only that, the Ghostbusters RUN AWAY in terror (and lots of kids looked away from the screen at THAT moment, I can tell you).

*cuts to everyone eating pringles, then getting slimed "Oh god this is soooo gross! Gross! Just like so gross!" *

PS I thought that lady ghost design in 2016 was cool and unnerving and they do nothing with it

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

Most of the responses and even professional reviews try to compare this directly to the original- like, regretting that Holtzmann isn't more like Venkman instead of being her own thing.

I learned about formalism in my first year of college but apparently it's not widely taught.

I mean on the one hand Yeah, it's its own thing. On the other hand, it follows the very same story beat for beat with similar characters, so of course comparisons are valid and expected.

That's why it's so interesting to compare how filmmaking and humour has changed in the last 30 years.

Edit: drat I'd love to see a Ghostbusters movie by John Carpenter

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

I've only seen the original in bits here and there but I believe Jane, the secretary or whatever, was a huge ditz/bimbo who was really stupid. That's why Feig and Dippold are such geniuses, they flipped the script and made her character a dumb himbo instead.

That is absolutely not true at all.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I think that's the biggest problem, and it might be symptomatic of comedies these days: there are no characters in GB 2016, only caricatures.

I watched it again last night, and you know what, it is enjoyable, and I'm excited for the sequel. The audience here in Hong Kong loving loved it, sold out, laughing loudly and clapping at a lot of the jokes.

One thing I really noticed this time was how bad Bill Murray's segment was. Noticeable greenscreen, he's not interacting with the GBs at all. So obviously filmed separately. Not one drat joke from him at all. It's like why even bother?

But anyway, caricatures. The lot of them. Kevin is literally so retarded he might as well be called Peter Griffin. Holztmann, who I do like, exists only to create gear and cut away to so she can do a funny face. Her interactions with the other GBs are nearly non existent. I'd have a very hard time describing Abby or Erin to you as people.

Actually the most believable character is the villain. I was kinda hoping he was serving some evil deity or what not, but what we got was fine.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

WAR FOOT posted:

to not get sued

Why? Bill looks like he'd rather be anywhere else.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ah ha ha ha ha, I'd never heard of it myself so I looked it up and someone literally invented it because Pacific Rim failed the Bechdel test (it's three named female characters never talk to each other at all) but they thought it had some merit as a feminist text so they had to think up a new test it could pass. :v:

http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Mako_Mori_test

Haha, that is WONDERFUL

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The onion had a great article about how media all peaked at the point the reader was 15 and comedies these days are just so silly and not like they used to be. It's how you get people talking about the nuanced physical comedy of adam sandler movies.

Haha well point made, but I love recent comedies like 21 Jump Street. In fact, that's a great comedy that has characters, not caricatures. The dynamic and relationship between Hill and Taintyum is wonderful and elevates an already hilarious movie. Someone brought up Hangover earlier, and the first one is funny and even Alan mostly avoids being a crazy character that Holtzmann ends up being.

And once again, this is just a badly directed movie. Boring shots, bad editing, even the score is completely forgettable. The original GB score is phenomenal! So weird and ethereal and un-Hollywood, really drives the point home that this movie you're watching is about some goddamn ghosts!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

It's not really shocking to say that most things are awful and you only remember the good stuff. Like of course you don't remember the awful 80s comedies, in the same way we (hopefully) won't remember Meet the Spartans or Jack and Jill.

We will remember Happy Gilmore though, that movie must have some miracle enchantment on it because I can watch it again and again.

Anyway how dare you even joke about GB 2 being a bad comedy. Everything you are doing is bad, I vant you to know this.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

This film will do just fine financially and a sequel is guaranteed, mark my words. No matter how badly people want this to fail.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Oh no, it only brought in TWO BILLION DOLLLARS

Jesus CHRIST what a dumb thing to write.

Still, I agree with its premise: that Sony has relaunched Ghostbusters, the film isn't a flop will be profitable eventually, and the future is bright for the franchise. Toys, cartoons, future sequels and other teams.

The film could have been much better, and it's really exposed Feig's limitations as a director, but it also could have been waaay worse, and I had fun with it anyway.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Junior Jr. posted:

Okay, checking Box Office Mojo, the movie's now dipping into the $1-3 million intake, and that's thanks to Star Trek and Jason Bourne. By the time it's out of theaters and in stores, I'd have completely forgot it existed. Actually I went out to the country 3 days ago and it was out of my mind before someone brought it back up in conversation. That's how much it's impacted on me...I've been busy thinking about how good Suicide Squad might turn out.

So this was a thing...I guess.

Well Suicide Squad is getting much much MUCH worse reviews than Ghostbusters, so... I'm so sorry

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I mean Suicide Squad might impact you in the way that an awful, lovely film can make legitimately angry and question everything?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

I loved it and think it's a shame it hasn't done well.

Agreed (well liked, not loved), but it's definitely getting a sequel, hopefully sans Feig, so all is not lost!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The guy made the greatest film of all time, if anything he needs more lionizing!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I liked Dave, but I wouldn't call it the greatest.

Your mother!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I rediscovered The Addams Family movie a few years ago, and it's now legit one of my favourite movies. The script is amazing, Morticia and Gomez have the best relationship, the tone is perfect and the cast are incredible. It's also hilarious.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

One of the neat things I always appreciated about the first Addams Family movie is the Fester plot. Like... The bad guys have this guy who looks JUST like him that they try and scam the family, and then it turns out that it's just actually Fester who lost his memory.

Well in the script it's left ambiguous as to if he's Fester or not. But the cast really wanted him to be the real Fester, so they sent Christina Ricci to convince the director that they should change the ending. Christopher Lloyd didn't care. I'm glad they changed it though, and the whole thing is just this amazing coincidence.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The sequel is way, way better somehow.

The sequel is great, no question: "Wow, what a ladykiller!" "Acquitted!"

I would say the ending with the baby goes too far, and it's a blemish on an otherwise great film. But it's a rare film that has an equally awesome sequel.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Gomez is one of my favourite characters, ever.

*sings Swing Low, Sweet Chariot mournfully*

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

Nothing in the sequel can beat a depressed Gomez calling Sally Jesse Raphael

"And miss Gilligan!?"

OK I'll stop now.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The fact that they've cut so much out (Erin's bf, I mean there wasn't even a hint of that in the movie! And Erin and I don't even remember the other one's name falling out) proves that the script must have been an absolute shambles OR Feig just didn't give a gently caress about the script and everything is all his fault and it was all IMPROV IMPROV IMPROV.

I don't know which one.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Watched Ghostbusters last night and it was pretty funny. I enjoyed it. Despite all of the nerds that pooped in their diapers over a female cast, this fact ended up meaning absolutely nothing for the film. They were just characters and they were funny and good. Ghostbusters 2016 wasn't some crazy feminist propaganda it turns out.

Agreed. It wasn't perfect by a long shot but it had some good laughs and it's pretty unique in terms of high budget comedies (that have a majority female cast). I don't hate it but I am annoyed because it obviously could have been much better.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Holtzman kind of exists outside everyone else. Her function is as a cutaway to say something funny or make an odd face. She has very few meaningful interactions with anyone. She's usually annoying but McKinnon does her best.

Hemsworth does a great job and actually interacts with people! He's a much better character. He's a character. Holtzman is a caricature.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

esperterra posted:

I can agree with that, for sure. How stupid they made him just killed the jokes for me. Everyone but Leslie Jones was far too goofy in their own ways, and it's just not the comedy I'm looking for in a Ghostbusters movie. Hemsworth did do really well with what he had. I would like to see him in more comedy roles.

Just didn't jive with me.

I've said it before but you're right: the original Ghostbusters were people. These Ghostbusters are cartoons.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm not even sure this film was "written". Felt like they were given a general direction of the scene then improv'd the hell out of it

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

This film has been pretty huge in Hong Kong. Packed in the cinemas when it was out, toys everywhere, I see people with the GB logo every day, and the theme park has a huge Ghostbusters event for Halloween.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Well the point was that Ghostbusters as a brand isn't only popular in America, and seems to be quite popular in other parts of the world! I made no statement of the quality of the movie!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Timby posted:

Long story short is that Sony is desperate for a film franchise with international appeal because the Bond rights are still up in the air and the MIB / Jump Street crossover idea collapsed, and after that it really has nothing to speak of outside of one-shot movies like Bad Boys.

Aw no, it did? I was really looking forward to that! Do we know what happened?

Also Hong Kong is NOT China (not yet anyway). We get all the movies. I was surprised to see that Ghostbusters was so low on that list.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I am not taking sides in your culture war. I am criticizing the 'revenge of the nerds' genre in general, of which this film is a part. In Real Genius, they blow up a man's house with a military-grade laser and so-on. It's simply part of the genre that the nerds use #fuckyeahscience and trickery to do grievous harm to the stuffy dean, rape the jock's girlfriend, etc. It's the basic power fantasy. Tully gets a chunk of his brain removed, Dana gets "300 cc's of thorazine", and Peck gets doused in molten sugar - without consequences.

Ghostbusters 2016 is not different.

Asking for a sample of your brain tissue after being possessed = grievous harm power fantasy.

Drugging a possessed malevolent entity = grievous harm power fantasy.

Saving the city, bystander gets some marshmallow on him = grievous harm power fantasy.

This disingenuous reading gave me a good laugh, thanks!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Squashing Machine posted:

I'm still reeling from the testosterone-fueled power fantasy that is Home Alone. You think you can get hit by paint cans and fall down the stairs without dying? Puh-loving-lease

That kid should have been imprisoned! You can't set someone's head on fire without repercussions! I'm so loving mad! POWER TRIPS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Likewise, the 'joke' with the thorazine is the not-really-subtext sexual innuendo, the implication that Venkman hosed the demon to sleep, etc.

You're pretty hosed up!

• Locked thread