Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Sarion posted:

This site is like dozens of these emails all put together: http://the53.tumblr.com/

quote:

[things that never happened]

This guy blows my mind. His entire life could have been a thousand times better under more liberal policies. There is no reason for anyone to owe $230,000 in medical bills, ever. The people who benefit from his hard work sit on top of trillions of dollars, and he thinks its totally reasonable to pay several years of his salary just for chemotherapy. Chemotherapy that was not created by private drug companies, but by government research.

Also, over 33% of his income taken by taxes? There's no reason for a married couple making $90K to pay more than 9% of their income in Federal Income Taxes. That assumes only standard exemptions and deductions. Even with FICA and State Income taxes it wouldn't come close to exceeding 33%. I can understand people being confused by various political issues. But people should at least have a good handle of their own personal situation.
See the explanation above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Boondock Saint posted:

Billy Graham's daughter was interviewed on the Early Show and Jane Clayson asked her 'How could God let something like this happen?' (regarding Hurricane Katrina).. Anne Graham gave an extremely profound and insightful response. She said, 'I believe God is deeply saddened by this, just as we are, but for years we've been telling God to get out of our schools, to get out of our government and to get out of our lives. And being the gentleman He is, I believe He has calmly backed out. How can we expect God to give us His blessing and His protection if we demand He leave us alone?'

In light of recent events... terrorists attack, school shootings, etc. I think it started when Madeleine Murray O'Hare (she was murdered, her body found a few years ago) complained she didn't want prayer in our schools, and we said OK. Then someone said you better not read the Bible in school. The Bible says thou shalt not kill; thou shalt not steal, and love your neighbor as yourself. And we said OK.

Then Dr. Benjamin Spock said we shouldn't spank our children when they misbehave, because their little personalities would be warped and we might damage their self-esteem (Dr. Spock's son committed suicide). We said an expert should know what he's talking about. And we said okay.

Now we're asking ourselves why our children have no conscience, why they don't know right from wrong, and why it doesn't bother them to kill strangers, their classmates, and themselves.

Probably, if we think about it long and hard enough, we can figure it out. I think it has a great deal to do with 'WE REAP WHAT WE SOW.'

I thought this looked familiar. Thanks a lot, America.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Coelacanthian posted:

Got roped into a global warming debate on FB and my friend posted a link to this;

http://www.middlebury.net/op-ed/global-warming-01.html

This site came up in another D&D thread a while back and seems to contain reasonably accurate and easy-to-digest rebuttals of the most common denialist claims.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Defenestration posted:

On the other hand he was being ridiculously dishonest by saying that knowing 5 people extrapolates to thousands nationwide
No, that is how random sampling works. If he "knows" 5000 people, say, and 5 of them are welfare abusers, that does extrapolate to a few hundred thousand nationwide. Of course that would not be a real unbiased random sample in any statistically meaningful sense, but hey.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Herman Merman posted:

No, that is how random sampling works. If he "knows" 5000 people, say, and 5 of them are welfare abusers, that does extrapolate to a few hundred thousand nationwide. Of course that would not be a real unbiased random sample in any statistically meaningful sense, but hey.

Gus Hobbleton posted:

So in other words, that's not how random sampling works at all?
Yes, but since most people are almost completely ignorant of the basic principles of statistics, he doesn't know that. From his perspective his reasoning seems completely honest and accurate. So the solution is not to call him a liar, but to patiently explain why the world does not work that way.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Armyman25 posted:

Cutting soda out of your diet isn't a bad plan either way.
Replacing diet soda with the real thing is if you're a fatty or a diabetic.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Sarion posted:

You are right however, that they use it to intentionally lead people to believe that half the country pays absolutely no tax. Which is crazy, but I still see people say it all the time. You also get the whole "flat tax is great because everyone should have skin in the game". Apparently FICA, sales, State income, and property taxes isn't enough skin.
I find all these arguments doubly infuriating because what should matter is not just taxes but the total effect of taxes paid and transfer payments received. Yeah, there is a (rather small) segment of the population that receives more than they are paying into the system (or will ever pay over their entire lives). You know, the poorest of the poor, the seriously disabled and chronically ill etc. Real lucky duckies. And that is the loving idea, taxes are there partially to even out the income distribution. Some people are supposed to get more than they give. Whether they are "paying taxes" is irrelevant.

When you point this out to a typical person moaning about taxes and ask if they would like to eliminate these transfers altogether the answer is always "No, of course not, bbbbutyousee there are these welfare cheats..." followed by a lame unverifiable personal anecdote they probably heard from a friend of a friend.

I sometimes wonder if these people are just mislead by political propaganda designed to exploit their sense of justice and fairness, or if they simply pretend to care about the less fortunate because that's what you do in polite company.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

Just a few minutes ago, I bought what I initially thought was a king size Milky Way (made by Mars), and it turned out to actually be two bars, advertised as "2 To Go" on the package. The health info on the side calls each bar a single serving, and each is noticeably smaller than a regular Milky Way.
This is why "per serving" nutritional info should be banned. The manufacturer apparently gets to make a single serving as big or as small as they like, usually intentionally misleading the customer. The only pieces of information that can't be easily tampered with are the nutritional contents of the entire item, and that of a fixed amount, say 100g, of the stuff so it's easy to see its nutritional composition.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

CCrew posted:

He told me he'd have a conversation with his brother (Who has a masters in economics), and let me know how he sees the situation. This was the response:
Your friend's brother is a pretty bad economist.

Also just to make sure you know what you're talking about, Austrian economics is a tiny fringe movement within the field of economics, whereas Keynesianism is squarely in the mainstream. There's really no comparing the two. The only reason you've even heard about Austrians is because they have a weird cult-like following amongst internet neckbeards and other libertarians.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

babies havin rabies posted:

A flat tax means eliminating progressive taxation in favor of one income tax rate, for example everybody would be taxed 10% of their income. This appeals to people because it seems "more fair", but in reality it is a regressive tax due to the marginal utility of money.
This is not given btw, it all depends on whether the tax system also includes transfer payments. It's quite possible to make the effective tax rate progressive even with a flat tax. (Of course then you'll run into trouble because the marginal tax rate will be pretty steep for low income earners, so in practice you're better off with a progressive system anyway.)

This sales tax would have to be a ridiculous amount to be effective, something like 25-30%.
:ssh: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_value_added_tax#VAT_rates

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Isn't there quite a bit of difference between a point-of-sales tax and a value-added tax from the consumer's perspective? On second though, maybe there isn't when you consider most of those costs would be pushed directly onto the consumer in either case.
That's the idea. As far as I can tell the only real difference between sales tax and VAT is the taxation mechanism. VAT taxes every piece of "value added" during the production chain separately, and each stage passes the costs forward. It's harder to evade than a sales tax but requires more rigorous bookkeeping from the businesses and the taxman.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

Thirteen percent of respondents think the Star of David is associated with Islam. :psyduck:
Well, it is. Of course in the context of the question it's the wrong answer, but the hexagram is a pretty common symbol and there are few religions it is not associated with.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexagram#Usage_by_Muslims

Also, turns out the Star of David has been used as a symbol for Judaism only since the 17th century or so.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

miscellaneous14 posted:

His response was something to the likes of "most recordings of temperatures rising in the US, Russia, and Western Europe are made in heat sinks like parking lots or behind buildings. My point of linking this was to illustrate how global climate changed is often erroneously based on local results".
Except it isn't. Try this.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Guilty Spork posted:

I have relatives who are into old timey values.

"Why didn't we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?"

You did, and the number one problem drug was alcohol, same as now.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Rodnik's friend posted:

his Fuel-less generator isn't made up. Nor the fact that he DID in fact pull energy out of the Ionosphere WITHOUT using power. Like I said, provide proof his fuel-less generator was "made up" as well as him not pulling energy out of the ionosphere. You seem so sure without any proof of what you say. Especially when history, the American Energy Association and his own documented information proves you to be in the wrong. This make you the "Conspiracy theorist".
Improper, unnecessary capitalization of "scientific" terms is a great way to spot a person who's not exactly confident in his subject matter.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Sword of Chomsky posted:

I agree with this, but the biggest counter example happens to be a pretty big one. Steam power was discovered in Roman times, and was never realized as a source of work. it was just a novelty. it wasn't until the 1700's that it was re-discovered as a way to do work.
This might just be a result of improved metalworking techniques. Would the Romans have been capable of building a usable cylinder (durable, airtight, with valves and all)? Also wider availability of slaves and all that.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

quote:

7) Only in America could you need to present a driver's license to
cash a check or buy alcohol, but not to vote.

XyloJW posted:

America and every other country in the world.
Huh? I think in most developed nations you need to present some form of ID before voting.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

It's a proper noun
just like Troops

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

It's hard to afford enough ammo to keep my two guns loaded while continuously firing them in the air, whooping and yeehawing like a demented Yosemite Sam

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

In that scene Peter notices his magic spider powers have fixed his nearsightedness and he sees more clearly without the glasses, so they can't even do the one joke right

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
Stop obsessing about the AI 3D printed bridge, it's an obvious joke.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
ok Gerald

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

an industrial byproduct that arguably isn't even food at all since it just wrecks your arteries and provides no energy or nutrition.
Trans fats provide about as much nutrition per gram to humans as any other type of edible fat. They're food, just not very healthy food.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Do they?

I thought the whole issue with trans fats was that we can't metabolize those fatty acids so they accumulate in our arteries and cause problems.

Sure they're found in foods but I'm not sure they're actually food themselves.
E:
https://medlineplus.gov/ency/patientinstructions/000786.htm
Trying to keep the message simple I guess, it's saying there is no benefit in eating them over other types of fats, and several downsides.

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/trans-fat posted:

WHO’s recommendation for adults is to limit consumption of trans fat to less than 1% of total energy intake, which is less than 2.2 g per day for a 2000-calorie diet.
Trans fats are counted in the energy intake because human metabolism can extract energy from them. About 9 kcal/g, roughly the same as other edible fats.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

quote:

Credit for any accuracies above to my Professors who continue to educate me:

Dilbert Guy (
@ScottAdamsSays
)
Robert Barnes (
@barnes_law
)
Mike Benz (
@MikeBenzCyber
)
CC:
@elonmusk
> thanks for buying X
cursed as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

That's probably more energy efficient than trying to recycle most of those small plastic items, but it's still bad.
Incinerating waste that cannot be efficiently recycled, in a modern cogeneration facility, is the best way to get rid of it since it allows you to recover most of the energy content. The only real downside are the CO2 emissions, and they are not worse than in a coal-fired plant.

e: But yeah, it should not happen in small Romanian villages which do not have such facilities

Herman Merman fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 25, 2024