Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

World Famous W posted:

tip me cash, i don't have to pay taxes on that

* For certain definitions of "don't have to" :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Long ago, I remember hearing about someone famous getting a haircut basically weekly. I used to think "That seems excessive" but now I'm like, "Oh, that would be the life."

That person? Barack Obama. And the thread's back on track folks, we did it *applause at ground control*

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

happyhippy posted:

Professor Dave and SciMan Dan has some great videos dunking on them.

Specifically I liked Professor Dave's "Destroying Flat Earth Without Using Science - Part 4: The Conspiracy. It relies on no other understanding except the very broadest ways that the world actually works. The specific line that stuck with me is (spoiled just inn case you want to be surprised) "With Flat Earth, there are no Edward Snowdens." I feel like I'd made that same inference independently but it's a real crystallization of it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I've seen the same thing said about old cars surviving crashes like, "Man, look at how this car is just a wreck after an accident, but a tough old car would have survived." They don't seem to understand that if the car withstood that destructive energy, that means it went into the occupants.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

DTurtle posted:

The most astounding thing is that none of this was found out by Democrats before his election. He completely flew under the radar.

Is his seat super safe or something? Do you do opposition research on super safe seats?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Killer robot posted:

It's the same reason why believing we're in some kind of end times is popular no matter who stands to benefit from it or doesn't. It's scary to think that one day you'll be gone and everyone who knew you will be gone, and yet the world will be going along in blissful ignorance of all you ever did and were. Even if it's not the literal end of the world, at least you can be from one of those big important periods everyone thinks about. It's like being one of those dinosaurs that died in a bog a thousand years before the asteroid, no one's going to even romanticize the anonymous idea of you.

These people who want to be important and remembered for eternity clearly never said "You too" when a waitron said "Enjoy your meal".

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yes, if you have a small local election then maybe that will swing things. But for anything else it's very common knowledge that it is a complete waste of time.

When I talked to a right-curious friend who was wondering about voter ID, I explained it by saying that in-person voter fraud is essentially fictional, but the people with the right to vote who end up disenfranchised by instituting voter ID are not.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Scholtz posted:

That's not even recycling, it's reusing. "Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle" are all separate terms and placed in order of effectiveness.

Thank you! I've been saying this for years. First, try to do without. Second, try to find a way to reuse what you couldn't avoid using. Finally, when it's at its end of life, dispose of it responsibly.

Everyone gets so hopped up on Recycle because it's the new fancy word. Or it was new, I guess, when Al Gore invented the internet and he said "what hath god recycled" on that dragon ball BBS or whatever.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Okuteru posted:

Yeah, gun owners get robbed.

A truck or SUV with Molon Labe or Come and take it decals might as well be advertising for a free gun.
I can't find it now but I saw a meme (probably on TFR) with a car with a Molon Labe back window sticker and then a photo of what appeared to be the same car with that window broken in. It was :discourse:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

There is zero chance the person spreading that meme knows who Irving is. There is a reasonable probability that the person who made the meme didn't know. Someone probably just Googled (let's be real here) Binged for "Quotes about Soldiers" and found some listicle.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Seems like 'your' is the wrong word here, rather than 'their' perhaps?

With 'your' it reads like "Yes, it's true. This man has no dick."

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Nah, it's transphobia.

Sorry, forgive me, I'm not trying to minimize the transphobia. That's obviously the main thrust. What I meant is they're so bad at memes, the way they talk about "your dick" makes it sound like they're talking about the reader's dick or the author's dick instead of the fictional subject's dick. So in this meme's presented world, bands of roving teenagers are running around :guillotine:ing dicks.

edit: goddamn, I cannot type today. Missed an important not.

Magnetic North fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 6, 2024

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Pretty much yeah, except I'm guessing the Babylon Bee approves

I keep seeing seemingly innocuous memes from them, and I think they are trying to put out non-offensive memes as a trojan horse for their fascist bigotry. I guess it's one step to ironic memes.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

If I recall correctly, an aluminum-mercury amalgum does grow into interesting tower-like structures, but it's also incredibly fragile. The mercury weakens the aluminum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrdYueB9pY4

:staredog: That's loving wild.

Like, we don't need to invent magic to look at the world and see cool poo poo. The world is already loving amazing, and some of it, we even know how it works!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

loving christ regressives have such a disconnect with like everything

Wait a sec... is being regressive shitheel and being disconnected with reality somehow related? We might be on to something here, folks.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I know my software engineer friends get really annoyed when mechanical/electrical engineers say that software is not 'real' engineering. But then you get this loving poo poo. As David Gerard would call it: the fallacy of transferable expertise. "Oh yeah I totally understand this thing I've never loving read about. It's so simple. Why didn't anyone thing about this before?"

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

God this reminds me of something that I post in search of every 5 years or so. It's a screenshot of a (IIRC) Reddit post about Women in Yu-Gi-Oh, suggesting that the reason no women attended the Yu-Gi-Oh night at the game store was because they lacked the mental capacity for the game. It was the stupidest poo poo.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

It's funny because in casual parlance, I would have considered 'calories' to be separate from 'nutrition' but that's obviously quite silly thinking about it now. That's probably the lingering effects of learning about 'empty calories' and that stuff. Like, at least when talking about adults in modern wealthy nations not personally faced with food insecurity, it makes some sense that the caloric value is not the 'nutritive' part you typically need to worry about. But of course, carbohydrates, fats and protiens are caloric and are macronutrients, so clearly they're nutrition. Just sort of odd thing about the way we use words without examining them. Or maybe just me.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Let's do some light Googling and some shaky math.

Average Student Loan Balance in the US: $38,290
Average Student Loan Interest Rate: 4.67% (2006-Today)
Average Student Loan Payment: $503
Average Cost of a smartphone in the US: $790
How often do people buy a smart phone: most people do it every 2-3 years, but 12% do it annually and 5% do it every 6 months.

Using this calculator: https://www.creditkarma.com/calculators/credit-cards/debt-repayment, let's see the difference:

Using numbers above:
91 months (7 years, 7 months) and $7,253.08 interest paid.

Let's forgo an annual phone upgrade and instead upgrade every 3 years. So, the savings of $1580 (for the two unbought phones) over each 36 month period adds $44 (rounded up) monthly for have payments of $547:
82 months (6 years, 10 months) and $6,507.71 in interest. A difference of interest paid $745.37 or 1.9% of the original sum. Yes, it's an improvement, but small. What are you gonna do with your additional $107-125 annually ? Buy property?

Let's say we instead knock that $3160 off the principle. Because Americans famously have three grand knocking around, especially recent grads, right? Payments of $503 against $35,130:
82 months (6 years, 10 months) and $5,970.64 in interest. A difference of interest paid $1,282.44, or 3.3% of the original sum or $183-214 annually.

Yes, yes, Lump Sum Investing is superior to Dollar Cost Averaging. More importantly, this tiny savings opportunity is only available only to the 12% of people who are already engaging in this unusually spendthrift behavior.

Wait a second, I'm starting to think the people sharing these memes might be stupid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Two of them openly admitted that it was a good question and they;d never really thought about it.

The level of incuriousness in people never fails to amaze me. "I've never really thought about this thing that angers me quite a lot. I can't say why it makes me mad, and I refuse to interrogate what that says about where I get my information or why I elect to share these abrasive opinions with others unprompted. To be fair, I could pretend I don't examine these feelings because it's a frustrating thing to deal with emotionally, but emotions are for liberals (except rage). Still, if I were honest about it, I avoid introspection because it would causes my vanity and my impotence to clash. What I'm really not afraid of is cancel culture or teenagers, but rather anything that will question my self perception lest another part fall off the jalopy of my terrible terrible life."