Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

chesh posted:

I first saw this several weeks ago on 4chan (of all places) but it's been making the rounds, and I thought we could all use a mental health break from Pungent Mammy's dad.
Originated in LF, courtesy of randomnoise.

Thats so Brad! posted:

America, Canada , all Europe ...... needs a President like
this..............NOW!!!!

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd - Australia

Muslims who want to live under Islamic Sharia law were told on
Wednesday to get out of Australia , as the government targeted
radicals in a bid to head off potential terror attacks.

Separately, Howard angered some Australian Muslims on Wednesday by
saying he supported spy agencies monitoring the nation's mosques.
:cawg:

IIRC, this one started as an anonymous American forward ca. 2004 and morphed a few years back to add "even those FOREIGNERS get it!" cred. edit: here we go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Keshik posted:

3. What if I told you "czar" is a media buzzword for high-level appointed positions, and that George Bush had the most czars ever?

4. What if I told you the economy collapsed at the end of Bush's presidency, just before Obama took office, and that his last federal budget was $3.1 trillion?

5. “There has been no policy change and nor blanket instruction issued for FBI agents to Mirandize detainees overseas. While there have been specific cases in which FBI agents have Mirandized suspects overseas, at both Bagram and in other situations, in order to preserve the quality of evidence obtained, there has been no overall policy change with respect to detainees.”

8. [citation needed]

9. [citation needed]

10-11. Not that I believe this can't happen, but welcome to America. Usurpation of power for the President, Congress, or corporations has been happening for decades.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

downout's friend's friend posted:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2007-05-28-federal-budget_N.htm USA Today article. Google “Medicare and Social Security unfunded liability”. Over $100,000,000,000,000.
I've seen this "$100 trillion unfunded liability" number flying around lately. Where is it coming from? FreeRepublic cites the 2009 Social Security/Medicare report, which doesn't have any such numbers, although it does call for higher payroll taxes or lower benefits in the future to balance their budget. Of course, medical costs are what we're debating right now, right?

quote:

The Democrats made the same claims as George Bush about weapons of mass destruction until they decided it was politically advantageous to change their tunes as noted in their own words above. Saddam had WMDs and the ability to make them and hid and destroyed them prior to our invasion.
I'm pretty sure people started to question the common suggestion that there were nuclear weapons when the weapons inspectors completely failed to find any new WMDs beyond decade-old chemical weapons they had destroyed or buried. I notice that the quotes end in March 2003.

Also notable was Edwards' comment in one of those videos that they were receiving daily briefings stating that Saddam had WMDs and plans to use them. I wonder where they were getting that information....

quote:

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac caused this financial meltdown and these organizations were created by, and wholly owned subsidiaries of the Democrat party.
First, the bit about being subsidiaries of "the Democrat party" is just dumb.

Second, we could also blame Greenspan for keeping interest rates low, which encouraged investors to seek more profitable returns, like the housing market. Or we could blame the banks, insurers, ratings agencies, and investors who pumped up the derivatives markets and housing loans to ridiculous levels on the assumption houses never lose value and everyone pays their loans. Or we could blame federal regulators like the Office of Thrift Supervision for being too eager to bring in business, which paid their bills, by turning a blind eye to market problems.

There were a lot of people getting greedy during the housing bubble and the financial derivatives bubble, and to say that nobody else is to blame because Fannie and Freddie... did... something... is extremely short-sighted. Yes, Democrats encouraged loans to lower-income families. No, Democrats did not force banks to hand out million-dollar loans like candy.

quote:

Don’t get your news from CNN/MSNBC/NYT etc. and all the other liberal rags. The main stream media is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Democrat party and have a vested interest in Obama.
And that's why Fox News, which has a 50% share in all cable news for all time slots of the day, is a liberal mouthpiece. Wait, what?

(I agree that Fox, CNN, and MSNBC are all awful these days, though.

But if the guy is linking "How Obama Got Elected" and throwing out all these talking points, he's a lost cause. He wants to believe, and I doubt any amount of fact-checking will help.

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 14, 2009

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Gripen5 posted:

In the late 1970's, a billed was passed that made it illegal for banks to deny loans based on the address of who they were loaning the money to. This was to prevent banks from denying loans to applicants purely based on the fact that they lived in a poor black neighborhood.
The practice the CRA was written to stop was called "redlining." Check out some of the zoning maps on Wikipedia -- they actually divided cities like Philadelphia into rich (white) and poor (minority) areas on the presumption that the former would repay loans and the latter wouldn't. Result: Nobody in "black" neighborhoods could get funding to start businesses or build homes. With no banking support, the poor parts of major cities rotted away.

The argument that the CRA forced banks to lend money to those unreliable blacks is simply another way to create a conversational hedge against blaming banks, the government, investors, and greedy house-flippers for a market bubble everyone had a hand in creating.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

nsaP posted:

I think many just believe that people using it are committing outright fraud every day. Maybe it's not that the conservative is missing the second part, but they just think the welfare queen has enough money to get by anyway.
It's nothing new; Reagan invented the "welfare queen driving a Cadillac" meme, and people had suspicions about that happening even before.

There are 45 million Americans on food stamps, which is about 1 in 7. It's scary to think that the majority of them need that handout just to feed themselves. It's much more attractive to believe that America is still great, but there are millions of leeches who are just too lazy to work.

Cases like the lottery winner who manages to keep claiming food stamps make some people assume that that's the norm because they don't want to believe that America could fail normal working people that badly, or that they should have to pay one red cent to help support the nation. It's the same argument with EBT, Medicaid, unemployment insurance, or any program that benefits the unfortunate -- if they had just been better people, like me, they wouldn't need the help.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

TheBoyBlunder posted:

I've got one from my dad today. It's a list of programs the teabaggers want to cut that, mysteriously, looks a lot like a list of programs that Republicans don't like. It also continues the mantra of "it's not a revenue problem, it's a spending problem!"
I didn't check to see if the numbers had been updated, but the last time I saw this e-mail going around, all of it added up to about $32 billion a year / $320 billion a decade / $2.5 trillion in about 75 years.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
It probably won't win anyone over to point out that the Obama quote they base the video on was from July 3, 2008, several months before the economy really exploded (and, for that matter, when gas prices were over $4 a gallon).

Perhaps it would be better to ask how, if both Bush and Obama added trillions to the deficit, we are supposed to fix it by cutting taxes. Republicans fought tooth and nail to protect the Bush tax cuts, but the CBO has been yelling for years about how disastrous continuing those tax cuts will be for the federal budget.

Obama has clearly spent a lot of money while in office, in the name of blunting the impact of the recession. Romney has proposed plenty of tax cuts, but it's not clear how he would make up the difference in revenues vs. spending. There are very few programs to cut that would balance the ledger, and they're all untouchables like Medicare and the military.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

vyelkin posted:

Are you sure about this? That was my first instinct too but I googled the quote and all I got were sources saying it was from a month or so after he took office.
Double-checked, and naturally, it's spliced together from several different speeches. The part about Bush adding to the debt being irresponsible is the one I looked for, and it's from July 2008:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUPZJDBJI84

The initial part saying, "We are five days away from fundamentally transforming the United States of America" is from an October 2008 rally.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are other out-of-context bits from other random speeches as well.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Pilkington posted:

I have one rather unique friend on Facebook that is currently making posts about how everyone should not vote. He goes on about how it hurts him and by voting you're condoning violence. This is the same guy that I see post about weird anarchy stuff and various other questionable subjects.

His latest post/rant (note: that is not me replying to him):

Once again, The Onion accidentally reports real news.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Sarion posted:

Actually a quick google search strongly suggests that Chicago does in fact have some of the strictest gun control laws in the country. By which I mean, you're allowed to own guns in Chicago.
Also, keep in mind that Chicago had the 2010 Supreme Court case that incorporated the Second Amendment -- extending its protection to state laws, not just federal laws. So Chicago had a handgun ban since 1982 (we're not supposed to ban rifles because handguns cause more deaths, right?), but it was struck down as a Second Amendment violation, which previously had not been possible.

Summit posted:

Tonight my dad claimed that the government, as part of Obamacare, can seize, tax or somehow extract money from people's 401k's. I didn't really know if that was true and couldn't Google so I tried to extract exactly by what mechanism he thought that would happen and of course he really didn't know, ultimately settling on that they might take out a loan against your private investment account... which makes no sense at all. Anyway, after our call I tried to verify the basis of this 401k change in Obamacare and I haven't found a drat thing. Anyone know anything about this? Sorry about the lack of details, this is all I could get out of him.
Are congressional Democrats talking about confiscating IRA and 401(k) investment accounts?

quote:

What has been discussed is changing 401(k) and Individual Retirement Accounts in the future by limiting the deductibility of donations, and offering as an alternative a $600 tax credit and a new type of account with an annual return guaranteed by the government.
This was spun as, "Democrats want to close your 401k and steal the money!" :supaburn:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

thefncrow posted:

My guess is that those 2 maps are probably both Bush maps, maybe even the same year, just that the one on the right is using multiple shades of red/blue for how strong the win was and the one on the left is just using red and blue.
Looks like the left one is this 2004 results map (can't find the original), while the right one is the NYT's 2012 election map by county.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

CellBlock posted:

There's also the fact that, even if they were getting $144k a year, that's to support a family of 10 (8 kids, mom, and grandma).
And just so we're absolutely clear, they wouldn't. From that FactCheck post:

quote:

The bottom line: The most a foster family could possibly receive directly from the state for eight foster children is $45,216 for the year — not $144,000. And that’s true only if the state allows so many children to be living in one house.
$45K/year to raise eight kids? Whatta deal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Zephyrine posted:

Personally I hope Trump wins because for all his faults. As a polititian he is at least not boring. I'm saying that as someone living in Sweden mind you. I would never want him to be in charge of anything concerning me. But I wouldn't mind watching the spectacle from afar.

Wikipedia posted:

81,300 applied for asylum in 2014, which was an increase of 50% compared to 2013, and the most since 1992. 47% of them come from Syria, followed by 21% from the horn of Africa (mostly Eritrea and Somalia). 77% (63,000) requests were approved but it differs greatly between different groups. Nearly two weeks into October 2015, a record figure of 86,223 asylum applications was reached.
Enjoy becoming America's Enemy #1 a year from now, Ms. 46-Natives-per-Refugee. :bahgawd: