Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Hagetaka posted:

Oil e-mail

Wait. If he actually clicked the link at the bottom of the e-mail he sent you, he would have seen that the story about the Bakken formation from USGS says the exact same thing that Snopes does (3 to 4 bbl, averaging around 3.65 bbl). I'm starting to think that e-mails like this are originally written as social experiments to troll people who don't even bother reading the links in the e-mails they forward.

Thankfully, I don't get political fwd:fwd:fwd: e-mails that often, but I used to get religious ones all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

csammis posted:

Now just step back a second, what's wrong with oreilly.com? :v:

Chesh, you should buy your dad MAKE volume 18 off the O'Reilly website. The one with "REMAKE AMERICA" on the cover. This one. With all sorts of green projects and environmentally-friendly ideas.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

BullitNutz posted:

Ask him when it was that a white person was ever 3/5 of a vote
Three-fifths of a person. They still couldn't vote. :eng101:

This is actually worse because it means that Southern states had around four seats for every three they would have had if only the free population were counted, and yet only the free population had any chance of voting (subject to possession of penis, of course). So each voting citizen in slave states essentially had 33% more representation in the House than a citizen in free states. In other words, the slave population was about a quarter of someone else's vote!

Of course, my Cherokee-and-proud-of-it grandfather liked to ask when the last time anyone told all the white men that they had to pack up and move was.

quote:

Ask him why people can be proud to be openly Christian, Catholic, etc; but the second someone's openly Muslim, it's RED ALERT RED ALERT KEEP AN EYE ON THAT MUSLIM AT ALL TIMES HE MIGHT BLOW SOMETHING UP
I wish I were lying when I say that I've heard someone argue that Christian values have been squashed by liberals so badly that there's no chance of a theonomy (hahahahaha), but that the liberals would love nothing more than to force the U.S. into a Muslim theocracy in the name of being "progressive".

Speaking of which...like I said before, I don't actually get a whole lot of e-mail, so I don't get forwards all that often (and usually the ones I get are "cute puppy dog picture" ones that aren't crazy), but I keep getting linked to or invited to things on Facebook that are about on par. I normally delete them, but if it would be okay, the next time I get one of these I'll post the message, video, or group statement here for laughter's sake.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

That Article posted:

FactCheck reviewed a sample of Snopes' responses to political rumors regarding George W. Bush, Sarah Palin and Barack Obama, and found them to be free from bias in all cases.
Yet another case of "if they'd clicked the link; they'd realize that the site doesn't agree with the e-mail".

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Grifter posted:

Is it really a surprise that everyone mentioned in the email has a (D) next to their name?
Of course not. What's surprising is that anyone hasn't already heard that entire "things heard at a travel agency" - I first saw it in '98 and I'm sure it goes back years before that.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/t/travelagent.htm

They have an older version from years ago without any names.
Wow. Everything old is new again - the version I first read didn't even claim it had anything to do with U.S. Government employees!

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Keshik posted:

Tax e-mail
And, of course, another e-mail forward that wasn't written by who the e-mail claims. The oldest known version was apparently a letter sent to the Chicago Tribune (and the submitter didn't even claim to be the author).

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Vilerat posted:

fuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkk
Christ, I almost wish I could just emptyquote this. The number of myths and lies in there are mind-boggling, including the number of interesting revisions of history that Nonie Darwish has propagated about her own life. No worries about the ACLU speaking against Darwish, though - they've been on the record protecting hate groups before.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

I'll admit, my eyes glossed over the P&G e-mail at some point, and I missed this the first time around and feel ashamed that I did (thank you dphrag for mentioning geese):

Lou Pritchett posted:

You scare me because you want to kill the American capitalist goose that lays the golden egg which provides the highest standard of living in the world.
I wonder by which cherry-picked standard he's claiming that the US has the highest standard of living in the world. I was going to guess GDP, but the "size of the claimant's house" index is probably more accurate. (By that index, I can feasibly claim that our standard of living is okay, but a little cramped and the hallways are a little narrow.)

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

zeroprime posted:

Money is a system of exchange, it is a storage unit and can be traded for other things of value. Grades are a system of measurement, they describe the status of a specific part of a system.
This is pretty much a perfect explanation of why the analogy is completely devoid of intellectual merit. About the only people it won't sway are the "more money = better than" crowd, and there really is no helping them because you can't argue away that degree of quasi-religious belief with any amount of logic, no matter how sound.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

zeroprime posted:

I like how they say ABC "altered the evidence" to make Zimmerman look uninjured and base that revelation on the digitally enhanced (i.e. altered) video that shows what might be an injury.

They aired unedited video, that's altering the evidence!
Part of the problem comes in the way the "enhanced" footage has been identified on news sources. Some honestly refer to it as enhanced, while others stated that the police had "released high-definition footage", implying (whether intentionally or not) that the altered footage was the original. poo poo, the fact that they refer to it as "high-definition" is infuriating enough (The YouTube release is in 480p, which is enhanced definition at best).

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Sarion posted:

I guess "making out", but beyond that you get into things like oral sex which I don't think counts as "gateway", its sex. But maybe that is what they meant since its not "baby makin' sex"?
Nah, the bill directly defines what sexual intercourse is, too.

quote:

(12) “Sexual intercourse” means that a penis is inserted into a vagina,
mouth or anus[...]
So oral and anal are definitely sex under the bill. So I guess we're talking about making out, dry humping, petting, stuff like that, which seems to be supported by:

quote:

(7) “Gateway sexual activity” means sexual contact encouraging an individual to engage in a non-abstinent behavior. A person promotes a gateway sexual activity by encouraging, advocating, urging or condoning gateway sexual activities;

And at least one definition of "sexual contact" exists in the law already, so I'm assuming that applies in lieu of a new definition:

"Tennesee 39-13-501 posted:

(6) “Sexual contact” includes the intentional touching of the victim's, the defendant's, or any other person's intimate parts, or the intentional touching of the clothing covering the immediate area of the victim's, the defendant's, or any other person's intimate parts, if that intentional touching can be reasonably construed as being for the purpose of sexual arousal or gratification
So the "hand-holding and kissing are going to become illegal" is WAY over the top, complete fabrication, and not supported by the law.

EDIT: Still a lovely law, since it conflates "condoning" with "promoting".

Kugyou no Tenshi fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 19, 2012

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Bruce Leroy posted:

Very, very good points. One that you didn't touch on is that it's literally impossible for everyone to "work their way up the ladder." There are simply not enough higher level or managerial positions for everyone to hold one, most people are always going to be on one of the lowest rungs of the ladder and not rise much further.
And, of course, some companies have hard limits on how high an employee can rise, no matter how long they work for the company. If you didn't get hired into the supervisory/managerial/executive "tier", you might never actually become a supervisor/manager/executive, no matter your qualifications or experience. Add in the occasional salary cap or an "up or out" philosophy, and you come to realize that "hard work and loyalty" just means you might get spared the first round of layoffs. Or, for that matter, that you might be guaranteed to be the first person laid off, or to have their hours reduced, etc.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Guilty Spork posted:

I think I've gotten some of my relatives to stop posting that kind of thing on Facebook just by constantly commenting with Snopes.com links.

The second result I got by searching for "Starbucks":

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/starbucks.asp
The thing I always love about using Snopes links to respond to poo poo like this is getting to point to the date when Snopes first reported on it. So not only do you get to point out that what was said was utterly false, you get to point out that (in this case) the bullshit is eight years old.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Bruce Leroy posted:

I'd be willing to bet :10bux: that this bullshit stuff about Starbucks and US soldiers was made up to pit people against the company for its pro-gay marriage stance. The bigots realized that many people either support gay marriage or just don't give a gently caress because it doesn't affect their lives, so they made up stuff about "ARE TROOPS" to get people to join their anti-gay boycott and make it look larger than it really is.
Didn't Starbucks just recently come out in support of gay marriage? The email in question dates back to 2004.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Goatman Sacks posted:

Half of all people on food stmaps work. Only 15% are able-bodied unemployed. The rest is old people and disability.
You say that as if people don't pull Lucky Ducky-style comments regarding disability. "You can't be disabled; just look at Stephen Hawking!"

I have heard this more than once. Even some variant of it from the government.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Idran posted:

I once had someone respond to that line of argument by saying it was federal law that if a server makes below federal minimum wage over a pay period due to lack of tips, that the employer had to make up the difference. While I'm sure there's plenty of chances for employers to cheat their employees if this is the law, does anyone know for sure if this definitely is or is not the case?
Yes, tipped employees must be paid at least minimum wage between tips and wages, and their direct wage may not be below $2.13/hour. However, there is nothing stopping the employer from then firing the server for not making $5.12/hr in tips. Or just ignoring the law, since so many people aren't aware of what their rights are under the FLSA.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

TotalLossBrain posted:

I've been responding to quite a few of those Chick-Fil-A posts on fb recently. No emails. It is astounding that these people, without exception, do not realize:

1. Dan Cathy's right to free speech was not infringed upon by the government

2. Dan Cathy does not have a constitutional right to conduct business anywhere he pleases.

3. The 1st amendment doesn't guarantee you speech without any consequences whatsoever.

Where were these dumbasses when the Dixie Chicks were boycotted, when Starbucks got hit, or when JC Penny got into hot water?

4. The boycott is not just about what Dan Cathy said, it's also about the millions of dollars that have been funneled through WinShape into anti-SSM and anti-gay groups like Exodus International, the Family Research Council, and the Marriage & Family Foundation. The last one's a big one, because they've gotten some of the highest donations from WinShape (over $1M in 2010) and were founded in part by Donald Cathy, Senior VP of Chick-Fil-A.

And if anyone tries to claim that M&FF or its parent organization, Marriage CoMission, aren't anti-SSM, you can point out the fact that they list Marriage Under Fire, an anti-SSM book from Focus on the Family, as a resource.

I just had to unfriend someone last night who went on a tirade about how activism and boycotts are evil things (phrased something like "hurting people's business for their cause", also claiming that somehow the boycott was taking away others' right to eat there) and ineffective, how gay rights activists are militant people trying to strip away people's freedom to be themselves (her exact words), and how she thinks that gays should be allowed to be together, just not married (separate but equal?). She's black.

:psyboom:

I understand that a lot of people don't think that the Civil Rights Movement of the 60's and the current LGBTQ movement are the same/similar/equally legitimate, but how can the tactics that were legitimate for one movement not be legitimate for the other?

Oh, also, had someone in a different CFA cluterfuck thread ask why liberals weren't boycotting Starbucks for not supporting our troops. I mean, gently caress me running, that bullshit's eight years old.

Kugyou no Tenshi fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 3, 2012

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The food banks and homeless shelter one bugs me. Less so than the fucks that actually think the buycott was a good idea, but it still does.
I think they're going for Matthew 25:
"For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.' They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?' He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least among you, you did not do for me.'"
With the interpretation that the teaching is about actually doing those things, not giving money to someone else to do them for you.

Not saying I necessarily agree with the interpretation, but I think that's the context they're coming from.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

red19fire posted:

:psyduck: What the gently caress does this have to do with Reagan? Iran-Contra actually happened, while Fast & Furious has been thoroughly debunked as a Conservative hit piece.
Or not? I mean, you can make all the arguments you like against this source, but seriously, claiming that Fortune "debunked" the issue surrounding Fast & Furious is taking the trust game a little far, wouldn't you say?

Do note that this is only Appendix III to the full report, and is only written in rebuttal to your article.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

Then he started telling me that being a homosexual is dangerous due to higher rates of suicide and drug abuse. I responded "Because attitudes like this stigmatize being gay, leading to depression." He denied the connection and then quit the debate before he told me whether or not he thought homosexuality was a choice. Though I assume he thinks it is.
Gotta love people who don't understand cause and effect. Had someone on Chick-Fil-A's wall try to tell us that gays were only ever closeted because they knew it was wrong and unnatural, and Christians are not only right but obligated to take a stand and say "no" to it. Of course, being a poo poo-and-run poster, it's no great victory or anything that she didn't respond when I used her entire argument (more or less word-for-word) to justify the Roman persecution of Christians. Felt good, though.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

This probably isn't news to anyone else in this thread, but I just saw it because a friend of a friend was bitching out the people who posted it:

Which led me to this article, with a longer list full of even more lies. Why is this poo poo not slander, again?

:psypop:

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

The Rokstar posted:

Because when it's written it's libel, not slander. :q:
Point taken!

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

In regards to the "Obama's sealed records" thing, there was an article in that same post that explains a lot of the claims and exactly why they're either false or misleading, including the "client list" one. Specifically, that Obama did disclose everything he had to when he was in the Illinois State Senate.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Imperialist Dog posted:

is there any point in continuing this argument at all with her?

Usually once someone says they are unwilling to believe facts, the argument has gone so far downhill it is now looking wistfully up the scale of useful arguments at drunken brawls and debating entirely using movie quotes.

So...get drunk and spout lines from Clerks or something?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Sarion posted:

Maybe this is unfair, but I can't help but think people like this are suffering from mental problems. Its just so far beyond normal even for people that hate Obama and gays. Its like the ramblings of a madman in bumper sticker form.
Yeah, that wall of stuff seems more like the "word salad" you expect out of someone with full-blown untreated schizophrenia than just a bunch of horrendous opinions. I honestly feel sorry for this guy.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Imperialist Dog posted:

Yay, I got a response! We've got dodging the question, argument from authority, triumph of experience over facts, and argument as personal attack.
Ipsos Reid is primarily a market research / polling group. She just equated actual statistics with market polling in order to justify her "my anecdotes trump your data". It's like she doesn't understand that the data you're talking about doesn't come from a bunch of welfare recipients being called up and asked if they're cheating the system. Forget about her poor debate skills and dishonest tactics and forget about her inability to even quantify what she means by "skewed" - she literally doesn't understand the fundamental basis of your argument, but has convinced herself she is more knowledgeable than you.

Funny thing is that she's right about one thing - it's easy to skew the data when you're asking the wrong questions...like she did with her acquaintance at Ipsos.

:ironicat:

(Also, I'm still rooting for "construct your counterargument entirely from movie quotes" at this point, because it's fun.)

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Bruce Leroy posted:

Wouldn't you just have to show your original social security card? Those aren't valid IDs under voter ID laws because they don't have photos attached, so it kind of doesn't matter.
It is, in fact, entirely possible to file for Social Security benefits and have them mailed/direct deposited without ever showing a single piece of identification to a human being.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

jojoinnit posted:

This is really long but I'm curious if anyone else has received it. Basically it's an op-ed from a guy who bought Mitt Romneys house, how they bought it with everything inside (!) and Mitt himself helped them move and did the lifting and driving, and how the Romneys lived simply and thriftily.
It's insane to think that someone can talk about living "simply" or "thriftily" in a nearly ten thousand square foot, seven bed/eight and two half bath home on eleven acres that was listed at five and a quarter million dollars. "No gold faucets" is a loving dodge when you're talking about a house that costs more than most people will earn in their lifetimes - or, for that matter, some entire neighborhoods (seriously, you could buy over half of my neighborhood for that price). Oh, and the bit about it being located "in" a public neighborhood is a loving laugh (zoom out to see how "close" it is to another house, let alone the remainder of the neighborhood).

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

xwonderboyx posted:

So Obama released someone from Guantanamo and then put them in charge of the Libyan embassy? And its their fault people died? Someone please help me with where this poo poo originates because this is so far off the deep end.
The GITMO detainee they're referring to is probably Sufyan bin Qumu, who was transferred from GITMO to Libya in 2007 and released in 2008 (so, entirely under G.W. Bush), and I have absolutely no idea where they got the idea that he was the "main security contact" for the "embassy" (consulate). This is just reading like yet another "inside job" conspiracy theory designed to cast the President as an Islamist who's trying to convert the nation by...polarizing the country against Islamist groups? :confused:

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

CitizenKain posted:

I know there is a huge and immense line of bullshit in there, but something really stands out with Romney renting a truck and driving it himself. Of all the people that would have a CDL to drive a 3 axel vehicle, I have a feeling Romney isn't one of them.
Wouldn't have to be a three-axle truck. U-Haul trucks (for example) are six wheels once you pass 14', all two axle. Two wheels on the front axle, four on the rear.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

wormil posted:

"50 people each employed and paying 15% tax each, gets more revenue than 1 person working paying 35% tax."
Little quick back of the napkin math using a web tax calculator. The numbers are very loose, but this points out how bad the underlying concept of that statement is. Let's say we have someone making $400K a year, filing single, no deductions, personal exemption only. Their tax burden is $113,349. Divide that by 50 and we get $2,266.98 per person. If we assume that 15% is the minimum tax bracket and that it applies no matter how low your income is, then they have to be making at least $15,113.20 a year. Divide by 2080 hours/year, that's...about $7.25 an hour. So, in order to make the same tax revenue as one person in the current 35% bracket, you have to have fifty people making right around minimum loving wage. Not more. The same amount of tax revenue requires the current federal minimum wage.

e:f;b. But seriously, mathematical refutations of idiotic arguments are fun. Would have done it anyway.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

Why do people think taxing the rich removes individual incentive? Even if your income is taxed you are still making more money :psyduck:.
At least for some people, it stems from not understanding marginal tax rates, and thinking that they can wind up losing significant amounts of money by going up to the next bracket. And some of it is just flat-out spite - they'd rather make less money if it means giving less to the government. The rest is probably just platitudes and Just So Stories.

At least, that's what I've been able to gather.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

From the owner of a pizza shop near me. Normally cool dudes, but the Free Market Fellatio here is astounding.

quote:

It sounds to me as though you are asking me if I am endorsing sweat shop type labor... The answer is no... Me and my business survive at the very end of the economic chain and survive by keeping costs low and quality high... Quality high, means we already pay above minimum wage, but not until the employee has shown they deserve more by hard work and quality pizza production, not because the government tells me I have to pay more... In a truly free market economy, prices and wages fall where they will be by the normal economic pressures... Inflation has always been the result of inflated wages that the economy can not support... Think about it for a minute... Lower costs mean lower prices... The natural balance of our economy is messed up because of the laws and practices of the generations of law makers and manufacturers that preceded our own... Sure its nice to be guaranteed a wage, but what if that wage is being paid for a low performing employee??? Corporate greed has shown that all manufacturing will go to the areas of the globe that will produce the items at the lowest cost hence no manufacturing jobs in the US... and an entire piece of the economic food chain of the country has become extinct as wage earners/spenders... While the companies enjoy a temporary high level of profits until they start to run out of customers because the jobs are no longer here... Our parents generation skipped the pain that their children are now feeling so that they could earn high wages and have cheap products... That can only go on so long before the balance of economic power changes to the country with the most complete, balanced economy. Manufacturing is the key... The countries economic problems are a result of poor structure and can't be permanently fixed by taxing or not taxing... The problem is a real economic solution is not overnight and our country has become spoiled and impatient and not willing to sacrifice... We live in a society of entitlement... I think entitlement sucks! My two cents...
Yeah, those drat workers demanding a wage that's less than half of the living wage in the area where you do business! So entitled! How dare they think that they have the right to be able to house, feed, and clothe themselves without needing five incomes!

EDIT: Holy poo poo somehow I'd missed the phrase "natural balance of our economy". I wasn't aware that economies were naturally-occurring entities!

Kugyou no Tenshi fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 7, 2012

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Mo_Steel posted:

"Lower costs mean lower prices" is literally laughably untrue in so many circumstances, not least of which including lower costs often result in just more profit. This guy owns and operates a business?
Yup. For some reason, he seems to believe that the price/wage spiral is the only underlying cause of inflation, and that inflation alone is the cause of economic crisis.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

ZappDash posted:

So much dumb poo poo in there. Dog whistles:siren:s, blatant lies, and some pretty decent hypocrisy. All to show :mitt: > :obama:, and all of it is :stare:-worthy
Oh jeez.
1. I could go two ways on this. Either "you're literally saying we should elect our President on looks", or "you mean he's white".

4. Are they referring to Biden here? The "put y'all back in chains" thing? People adopt accents when speaking sometimes. It happens. It's not always pandering. But drat if they didn't have to mention "black", huh? Because no white person ever talks like that!

5. Jesus Christ the "sealed academic records" thing again. ALL academic records are sealed by FEDERAL loving LAW. The only reason we would know Romney's academic records is if he told us or if he signed a FERPA waiver for, uh, the entire country.

6. I really don't want to do the whole "he's a Mormon" thing, but, well, that's the reason he doesn't smoke or drink or do drugs. Because it's against his religious beliefs. The religious beliefs his family raised him in. This is not some testament to the man's willpower - it can be very easy to decide to not violate the religion you've been raised with your whole life.

7. Yes, exactly. We don't want "yesterday". We want "tomorrow", where American Protestantism isn't the only acceptable religion for our leaders, where people are considered equals regardless of literally loving anything you could use to make them "different", and where we no longer believe in the lie of "bootstraps" being proliferated by people whose "hard work" was helped along by personal connections that most of the country doesn't have.

8. That entire last sentence is missing the loving point. Ann Romney does not know what it is like to be a working mother in this country because she never had a job, and she shouldn't have said that she does. That was the only context in which the "scorn" involved exists - Ann Romney claimed to understand an experience she has never lived herself.

9. More a question of my own memory on this one...didn't Mitt admit that he asked church leaders for advice on the campaign trail, as to whether or not it was OK for him to say he supported certain positions? If not, mea culpa, I remembered wrong. If so, I AM NOT ELECTING A CHURCH TO THE OFFICE OF PRESIDENT.

10. Yes, let's ignore the entirety of Mitt's upbringing to pretend that he built himself up from absolutely nothing. Or that his time at Bain Capital was at literally zero risk to himself, a position that an overwhelming majority of people in this country will never be remotely capable of leveraging through no fault of their own other than losing at, as Warren Buffett so eloquently phrased it, the "ovarian lottery".

Also, draft notice? You mean the draft he didn't have to deal with, right?

Update on the minimum wage rant I posted earlier: The guy who posted it listened to my fiancee and I talk about the problems with eliminating the minimum wage (like how MW is currently less than half the living wage, how corporate greed isn't going anywhere, and how reduced wages will usually not lead to reduced prices) and decided that perhaps he needed to think about the situation a little more next time. However, one person in the comment thread decided that 1) anyone who thinks that a living wage should be guaranteed must be 18-25 years old (he literally used "18-25" multiple times), because he's 44 and anyone who disagrees with him must be a child, and that if my fiancee really is in a situation where she can't just "go to college and make something better of herself", she should marry a rich man.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Anubis posted:

The problem is he didn't say the exact words, "This was a terrorist attack." He said, "No acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation, alter that character, or eclipse the light of the values that we stand for. Today we mourn four more Americans who represent the very best of the United States of America. We will not waver in our commitment to see that justice is done for this terrible act. And make no mistake, justice will be done."

Somehow people are ignoring the actual context of a statement. It's the equivalent of a rape occurring and me saying, "Rape is a horrible tragedy" during a conversation about the event but someone claiming that I never said that this exact attack was horrible. It's idiotic but they can manage to claim to be factually correct but in reality they are lying.
Of course, the bold bit is all many places critical of Obama will quote. I've seen some articles where they have straight-up lied about that speech and said that Obama didn't even reference the Benghazi attack at all.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Pththya-lyi posted:

I found my dad watching this video, laughing up a storm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dDSmKbwiR0
Wrong link? 'Cause I'm getting Spongebob.

e:f;b

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Lady Gaza posted:

What if the child's parents were a lesbian couple? Surely he would have *twice* the amount of nuturing!
Ah, but he would not have a ~STRONG MALE ROLE MODEL~ to teach him how to be a man! Boys need a daddy to teach them how to play sports and be emotionally crippled, and mommies to teach them how to expect women to support them unconditionally and unquestioningly. Girls need a mommy to teach them how to apply makeup and be emotionally unstable, and daddies to protect them as property and teach them that they're not allowed to make decisions unless a man tells them it's OK.

Of course, they can't always admit that their opposition to gay marriage is partially rooted in the idea that it would break down the tradition of forcing "traditional" gender roles on children from birth, so that they will grow up to force those roles on their own children, or that they'd rather have boys and girls growing up in abusive households that lead them to being completely unstable individuals for large swaths of their life than risk the chance that the kids might grow up to do the "wrong" gender's stuff.

Also, your typo is nearly perfect - it's right between "nurturing" (what anti-SSM types think a woman's only purpose in life should be) and "neutering" (what they think growing up without a father does to a boy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Dr Christmas posted:

Not to mention that none of the drugs covered by he mandate are abortifacients.
You say that as if they care about the legal, ethical, or medical definition of abortion. This is literally "we believe that they are, so we shouldn't have to provide insurance that covers them".