Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Snaily posted:

I find it weird that all the street photographer kids running around haven't adopted the selective colouring fad yet.

This is one of the funniest posts I've seen in awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
From yesterday:

Not exactly how I visualized it before releasing the shutter, so I don't know if I like it or not.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Kaerf posted:

I was inspired by Severin Koller and Chris Weeks

Same. Reading Chris's blog a few years back inspired me a lot, though these days I find myself doing less and less street. Maybe it'll be rekindled a bit when he releases the new version of his Street manifesto that he's been working on.

Some of my favorite street shots from the last few months:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

I HATE CARS posted:

I still read Chris's blog, and though he updates pretty rarely these days, it's always really good.

I still subscribe to it (APhotographer these days, but I miss bbq iguana), but the updates are infrequent, and more often than not he seems to post a batch of photos of his dog.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Good New Yorker article on The Americans: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/09/14/090914fa_fact_lane

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Chris Weeks posted:

Back in 2006 I wrote a .pdf about purism and street photography and posted it on deviantart.com. I featured not only my own work but many of my street-shooting friends from all over the world.

Having wrote that it was always in the back of my mind that I wanted to update it. Yes, I could have written something yet I really wanted to do it with video. Until the Canon EOS 5D Mark 2 came about -- and with the most recent firmware update -- i couldn't have achieved "the look" i wanted.

Over the course of two months this summer I enlisted the help of some friends to shoot ... I dunno ... the next volume or whatever this is.

In this video you'll see my work and that of photographers Severin Koller, Frank Jackson and Mario Anzuoni, all with different perspectives for shooting street photography.

There are too many people to thank; please read the credits at the end of part three.

I hope you enjoy it. I know that I had an amazing time shooting and editing it.

Street Photography: Documenting the Human Condition - Part One
Part 2
Part 3

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 10, 2009

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

The Finn posted:

I'm pretty sure I read his .pdf and it's really way over the top, it treats the Leica like Jesus Christ and it's filled with tons of anti-dSLR poo poo. It's totally contradictory, it's all platitudes like "Street is whatever, just take your picture, there's no rules" followed immediately by "If you aren't shooting on film in b&w with a rangefinder YOU ARE NOT SHOOTING STREET."

I remember reading the pdf a few years ago when I was first starting out and had never used anything but a dSLR and thinking exactly the same sort of things. Some time, a lot of photos, and a rangefinder later, I can read the pdf and watch the video and appreciate what he's saying.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Haven't been shooting much street lately, but I liked these.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Just have a smile on your face and be generally courteous, if someone looks at you and ruins your photo or something, don't look frustrated and immediately turn away, smile and nod or something.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Speaking of controversial covert photography...
:nsfw: http://www.radio.cz/en/article/81346 http://www.tichyfotograf.cz/miroslavtichy-dilo.html

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

thpook posted:

Documenting the human condition is a huge pet peeve of mine, as is "YOU HAVE TO TELL A STORY".

It expects too much from the people who will be viewing the photo.

How is expecting people to read and analyze a text too much?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
The problem is not the bokeh at all, it's that the photo has extremely shallow depth of field for no apparent reason.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Tri-x in Rodinal 1+25.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
From the 4th.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Two shots I liked from whistler, taken with my first generation Nikon F. For such a heavy old camera you might expect it to have a loud mirror slap or shutter, but it is quieter than any other camera I have save my N80 and Yashica tlr.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
"Are these interesting at all? Please be honest."

No, they aren't. Hope that helps.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I found a very striking, engaging man on the street and decided to document his human condition.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
From St. Patrick's Day:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Arob1000 posted:

I'm new to this forum/been shooting with my Canon 60D for about a month. Here is an image I really liked/decided would look cool with an HDR effect. It is a single RAW file which I edited in HDR EFEX Pro. I took this at the "How Weird" Festival in San Francisco a couple weeks back.

What do you guys think?

I think this is almost adorable.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
This is still the worst thread.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

That's paper.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

I think I need to crop this one differently.

The good life by Gripnsip, on Flickr

I think you need to post differently (less/not on sa).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

XyloJW posted:

please post your best ETHICAL street photography. :)

I'm sorry, but that is not possible.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Not a single element of the scene is directly linked to the image so it's null actually. Photons reflecting and being translated by a lens before activating an entirely separate entity, silver halide (or silicon sensor), which is then further processed and distanced before ever being re-composed as a viewable entity which is then reinterpreted by a person and transferred via multiple other systems to a physical object.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Mr. Wynand posted:

So sho sho, I mean, photography - it ish not a real shing, it is not the real thing, it ish the reality, made, virtual. My god, how elshe can we experiensh the world if not through the daemon behind our eyes that tells us what to shee! The camera liesh to ush yesh, but not any more than our eyesh do already! I mean, my god people, it ish the obvioush, prototypical Lacan Mirror-Stage!

Phalus!

This is easily the worst Zizek parody I have ever seen.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

emfive posted:

economic success

Now why would you handicap your own argument like that? Starting to think no one else itt is arguing in good faith.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
You guys know this isnt a joke thread anymore, right? (well, not intentionally)

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

The desat just compounds the problem of the guitarist blending into the tree behind him, although there really isn't much to see of him even once you make him out.
You're posting a lot of pictures without any obvious lead to them, I think you should probably tighten your edit criteria and hold off on even processing photos that don't have compelling action in them.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Shellman posted:

And you're supporting a photographer (or in this case Magnum I guess). It's always worth supporting a photographer that you think is loving awesome.

gently caress it, I'll post this here.

Untitled by Stabby McKnife, on Flickr

Croppin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Geektox posted:

e: gently caress this shite internet

Amen.