Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Nomex posted:

Click here for the full 1024x487 image.

Behold the world's best keyboard. It's an IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad keyboard only it's USB and for desktops. You can type at warp speed on these with a little practice.

I use one of these, very happy with it in general.

I just wish they'd offer one with either no touch-pad or a multitouch-pad. That, and some revised media keys like the T400s keyboard shown a while back - the current [X] [-] [+] volume layout is bad after the button icon paint wears away, and a [X] [-|+] rocker switch setup is better.

Maybe a fingerprint scanner and some toggleable backlighting, while I'm wishing.
e: maybe a wireless numpad-free version for HPTC use, too

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 25, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
I guess I hadn't checked press releases when I posted earlier, there is a redesigned USB Ultranav out now. Sorry for the weird picture perspective, can't find any head-on shots of the standalone keyboard right now and it's not quite the same as the T400s.

http://lenovoblogs.com/designmatters/?p=2364

Lenovo USB Ultranav redesign released:
Trackpoint-only, spill resistant, +Winkey
Priced $60, based on T400s board

Click for full 894x682 image.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

such a nice boy posted:

I wish more keyboard manufacturers would include the trackpoint, but I guess IBM has the patent. It's the perfect input device for people who hate taking their hands off the keyboard.

After the redesign and permanent price cut to $60, there isn't much reason for me to consider anything but the USB Ultranav.

That said, Samsung has a similar one with a smaller footprint for $80:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Ultra-External-USB-Keyboard/dp/B000GR3XFQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1252149727&sr=8-1

And there's a Unicomp board for $100, if scissor-switch keys bother you:
http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/en104wh.html

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

nmg posted:

Has anyone used those keyboards that have integrated trackballs or touchpoints? I like the idea, since I generally hate using mice for anything except games. The main problem I've seen is lack of a scroll wheel.

The Thinkpad-style external keyboard(s) will behave like a normal three-button mouse sans wheel until you install a driver and/or management program. Once it's installed, holding the middle button will count as a scroll button rather than mouse3.

For a sense of how it works, imagine instead of rolling a wheel slowly or quickly to vary scroll speed, holding a button and having the amount of directional force applied to the trackpoint as a stand-in for the wheel's roll speed (works both up/down and left/right).

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
Ran Ctrl+F on the last dozen or so pages for "bluetooth" and "android" separately, found nothing :shobon:

I've been looking lately for a portable Android-optimized keyboard with integrated mousing. The ideal would be a bluetooth trackpoint keyboard, about netbook size. But any good board with an included mouse would do, whether touchpad, optical, or mechanical stick.

The goal is to allow for using a Galaxy Nexus as a non-painful basic travel computer. MHL adapter allows any HDMI screen to serve as monitor, so the keyboard is our missing ingredient. There are solid options without a mouse, and sketchy-looking options with mouse features. Also, weird gimmick options with no reviews.

Right now, it looks like the Logitech Android keyboard coupled with the Apple Magic Trackpad would provide the best experience, but I'm hoping you guys know of something simpler?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Amber Alert posted:

What is it that you're running on Android that would be easier to have a mouse for rather than just using the actual touch screen, maybe with a stylus?

General purpose light computing. Web browsing, email/text, videos etc, but not while relying on the phone's main display. Wouldn't want to reach over to play with the phone every time I need to move the cursor on a TV or monitor, especially since the phone may be across the room depending on the particular setup.

That's what I meant by the MHL to HDMI adapter comment - the point is to recreate a basic desktop experience from time to time, using a full-size display with bluetooth keyboard+mouse for distance.

I know just about any bluetooth keyboard will have basic compatibility with ICS, but I'm just hoping there's an overlooked option out there with optimized features and an integrated mouse.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 23, 2012

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
figured might as well update, in case of another edge-case user out there:

swarthmeister posted:

I've been looking lately for a portable Android-optimized keyboard with integrated mousing. The ideal would be a bluetooth trackpoint keyboard, about netbook size. But any good board with an included mouse would do, whether touchpad, optical, or mechanical stick.

The goal is to allow for using a Galaxy Nexus as a non-painful basic travel computer. MHL adapter allows any HDMI screen to serve as monitor, so the keyboard is our missing ingredient.

I ended up getting a little-reviewed Motorola pointing-stick keyboard. It's a small keyboard with scissor-switches, just what I was looking for. Some key layout compromises to fit the small frame, but it's well-built and rechargeable.

They also make a full-size board with retractable trackpad, but that one isn't rechargeable for some reason (maybe next version?)

The MSRP for either is $100, but they go for $50 if you look around.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 15, 2012

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

mlnhd posted:

I switched to a Kinesis. Does that count?
e: Kinesis is mechanical, but not clicky

Which model do you use? I always enjoyed the MS 4000 Ergo Keyboard, aside from the crappy rubber switches.

The Cherry Brown Kinesis ergo boards (either Maxim or Contoured) always looked like the top-tier version of the same idea. Pricey though.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
I was surprised to see a small lot of new-in-box old-timey IBM PS/2 Ultranav keyboards (tenkeyless) up for sale, $35+shipping per. Just wanted to post for anyone running weird systems or short on USB ports. Even have a workaround for drivers, post-XP.

evensevenone posted:

This seems like it would be asked more often, but I guess not: if I just want a flat keyboard with scissor switches, i.e basically as close to a modern Apple keyboard as possible, are there any good options? I find a flat keyboard with minimal key travel is just a lot more comfortable for me. I've got an Apple keyboard right now but I'm tired of dealing with the non-standard layout (all the software to fix it is really poorly written and unreliable).

There seem to be a lot of low-end ones of unknown quality. As well as high-end ones of also unknown quality.
It sounds like you're using an Apple keyboard with Windows (maybe Linux?). If Windows, look at Logitech (USB Illuminated) or Lenovo (USB Trackpoint), depending on your needs. For a cheaper option, the Cherry Stream XT is from the same brand which makes the Brown and Blue switches beloved by mechanical board fans. I'm assuming you want wired, since you didn't mention wireless. There used to be more options around for quality scissor-switch boards (Enermax and Rosewill to name a couple), but I haven't actively been keeping up with developments for a couple of years.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Miaou posted:

So, my cats like to sit on my keyboard. Are there any keyboards that can withstand catbutt exposure? I'd rather not have to pack away my keyboard when I'm not in my room. My cats are not at all fat, about 5-6lbs.
Oh yeah, I also like backlit keys but whatever really, I just want a keyboard that won't die after 2 months.

Maybe try wedging the keyboard vertically between something, or a flat wide cardboard box you can slip over the keyboard? I'd at least put some kind of keyboard condom on to avoid the need to remove cat dander quarterly.

If it's a recurring problem resulting in multiple dead keyboards, could you just keep the faulty broken keyboards and leave them around your room as cat seats? Even if the user I/O factor is screwed up, I'd imagine a glitchy keyboard feels as good as a fresh one for lazy cats.

Alternatively, I remember Pawsense from the early 2000s. Give that a shot if you can't close your room door or cover/re-position your keyboard?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
As someone who periodically saunters through the desolate world of pointer-stick keyboard options, I'm happy to announce a new find: Lenovo is finally making a damned wireless trackpoint keyboard! It'll sell with models for $55ish corded or $75ish bluetooth, full-size layout with a minimal footprint and chiclet keys (no touchpad). Available sometime in June.

Just in case I've missed any options, are there still no ergonomic trackpoint models out there? You can find some discontinued and outdated stuff like Eagle-Touch etc. So far, no luck finding split/ergo/natural boards with trackpoint (mechanical or otherwise). I know a few companies have made ergo touchpad and trackball keyboards and a few still do (I'm averse to buying Adesso based on never hearing feedback better than "it isn't horrible" from users, averse to Maltron because $500+, and stuff like Kinesis Evolution just doesn't exist anymore).

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 30, 2013

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

sports posted:

It's a pretty nice keyboard in terms of ergonomics.

Yeah, I actually own and use that one as my all-purpose keyboard. I'm looking around for something more like the Microsoft "wave" or "natural" layouts (though not opposed to more extreme ones like splits or scoops). Saw one guy mod an MS Natural 4000 to use a rollerball, that'd be appealing if the switches weren't so mushy.

Not looking to alleviate any existing RSI, just to lower the chance of future problems. The TECK looks really interesting but the lack of mousing is a turnoff.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 31, 2013

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

KaneTW posted:

Habit, probably.

Yeah, it's a combination of outdated habits developed around old tech (typewriters and ancient all-in-ones) and the fact that a surprising number of people still can't type without looking at the keys. There are still people out there who balance the books without numpad proficiency and people who type code while visually confirming character locations.

Imagine you can't touch-type competently, then imagine typing with all the keycaps tilted away from you. Labels become squat and nearly illegible. For good typists, the front-lift ought to be an industry-standard option instead of the dumb relic of rear-lift. Ergonomic declines would probably be more common if manufacturers used larger and taller letters along with consistently including popular OS shortcuts on key-fronts like the MS 4000.
:sigh:

edit: In the event that you're focused on ergonomics for some weird use-case where the keyboard is above sternum level, the rear-lift can actually make typing less awkward. Desktop computer for a poor dwarf? Rackmount keyboard placed too-high out of poor planning or spite? It's hard to think of anything common enough to justify the dumb incline as a universal feature.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 20, 2013

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Peanut3141 posted:

This may be mechanical keyboard heresy, but does anybody make one with a trackpoint as well? I've gotten far too used to my Thinkpad and when I'm on my desktop lately, I hate to leave the keys to reach for the mouse only to come right back to the keyboard. Obviously I'd still use a proper mouse for gaming, but for quickly changing window focus before typing again, I love the trackpoint.

Yeah, Lenovo makes a couple of boards like that, they're essentially clones of the Thinkpad keyboards. Check the accessories section of their site. Nothing current has an integrated numpad, but legacy models are still available if you poke around on Amazon etc.

Now, if you meant you're hunting for a trackpoint trackpoint keyboard with mechanical switches, that's mostly a desperate and hopeless quest unless your motherboard is ancient or has multiple PS/2 ports. There was an interesting product concept called "guru board" a couple of years back, but it's vaporware as far as I know. Unicomp still sells buckling-spring trackpoint keyboards, but those come with their own unique noise and feel (separate from Cherry/Alps/etc).

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

ZShakespeare posted:

Do they make something like the Microsoft ergonomic 4000 with mechanical key switches (negative rise, tented, split layout) that doesn't have some wacky non-standard layout?

Just posted a bit earlier in the thread, but there's a recent 4000-shaped board from Microsoft with scissor-switches, still no perfect 4000 clone with regular mechanical switches. I might get one eventually, same shape with crisper key action and a space in the middle to put some mousing implement.

eXXon posted:

Anyone tried the Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic keyboard yet? It looks pretty promising - a split design like the previous MS natural keyboards, a separate numpad, and chiclet-style keys. If the keys are anything like a ThinkPad keyboard, that's all I could really want in a keyboard.

So far I only see one Canadian retailer with stock (nowhere near me), and they're only selling the bundle with the weird lumpy mouse that I have no interest in.
Try Amazon, their USA site has the non-retail Keyboard and numpad sans mouse go for $70 and this review seems pretty comprehensive.

Looks like the expensive desktop bundle is coded L5V-00001 and the cheaper mouseless keyboard/numpad package is coded 5KV-00001

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Captain Postal posted:

Apologies for not reading all of this thread, but it's long.

My MX5500 keyboard is about to die. The rubberized palm rest is deteriorating after years sitting on my desk in the sun and is now a sticky gross mess. The mouse died a long time ago and was replaced with a Performance MX which I love to death (because it has a USB cable charger and charges while being useful). I will never go back to anything that has a charging terminal, like the original MX5500 mouse.

Features of the keyboard that I want in a replacement are: numpad, wireless, OSD with clock (it's the only clock on my desk), media keys, full size depression or whatever that's called (i.e not laptop style). I'm not too fussed about mechanical. The built in calculator is neat and does get used too. Beyond that I'm flexible.

What are my options? A quick look at logitech website and newegg says they don't have anything at all like that. Are there any other products to look at?

Late to reply, but you can attack this from a different angle. I know there's a wired keyboard or two with the same options available, but same as the rest of your responses, nothing matching exactly your checklist. To be fair, wireless keyboards and inbuilt peripheral displays are opposing forces. Even if someone made one, you'd either have a disappointing display or disappointing battery life.

I'm going to suggest looking into replacing your computer speakers, unless your current ones are great. The Z-10 speakers do basic clock/media/CPU/etc stuff (I don't think there's any provision for keystroke/temp settings), and they're going new in box on eBay for $75. Good sound quality, subwoofers firing out the back with higher frequencies from the front. I've had mine since 2007 and they're still working well. I don't often game anymore, but they're handy for checking the time or whatever during any fullscreen activity. Definitely served their clock purpose when I was playing online shooters several nights a week in years past.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Tunga posted:

A friend has one at work, it's pretty nice as long as you like short distance keys. He doesn't use it for gaming, he has a Natural at home but he has been happy with this thing for office use.

The Esc key is tiny, and the function switch is dumb, but other than that it's a nice design.

I'd like to know more about it, too. Could you get your buddy to do some basic ghosting+rollover tests or something? Next time I replace a keyboard, that model's pretty tempting for the option to mount a touchpad/trackpoint in the gap.

I don't care about elite gaming stuff, just general WASD-area functionality and fast/lazy typing concerns. ≥3 key rollover should be good enough. There just aren't many professional reviews out there.

e: reminder from last time the MS Sculpt Ergo came up in this thread: if you already have a good mouse, they sell a cheaper set with just the board+numpad

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 14, 2013

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Internet Friend posted:

Speaking of ergo keyboards, Massdrop just started a group buy for Truly Ergonomic Keyboard. If the ErgoDox or Kinesis are too extreme for you this is another option. Columnar, splayed, and fully programmable. Support from the company has been really slow to respond in the past though, so buyer beware.
Do you remember the asking price? I don't check this thread often, and after clicking the link and giving them my email address, it seems the deal is over. It's dumb that they don't warn of expired deals prior to signup, but oh well.

TECK's always intrigued me, looks like a good combo of browns/layout/tweakable. Looks like they're halfway to another ≥50 group buy based on user requests.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

The Entire Universe posted:

Just spilled a glass of Bulleit rye onto my Logitech G110. Goodnight sweet prince :rubshands:

Same here, but my USB Thinkpad board.

Getting the MS Sculpt Ergo board tomorrow, I'll answer questions if anyone has them. First answer: no, nobody charges MSRP for any permutation of that set.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Skiant posted:

How's gaming with that keyboard?
I used to enjoy my old Natural 4000 layout, but the build quality was sub-par to say the least.

http://blog.controlspace.org/2010/08/n-key-rollover-what-it-is-and-how-to.html
http://www.microsoft.com/appliedsciences/content/projects/KeyboardGhostingDemo.aspx

In terms of ghosting/null-presses, it won't happen unless you're basically mashing palms on the board. W+A+S+D+Shift+Ctrl is fine, but add more keys in the immediate area and they aren't recognized. Should be fine in terms of rollover, it reliably does ≥4KRO. I can get >6 keys simultaneously lit in the MS demo linked. The keys feel so much better than the 4000, but they are scissor switches if that's an issue (feels a little less crisp than the Thinkpad board it's replacing).

For latency, it worked perfectly well in a quick CS:CZ botmatch (I don't play games much anymore, and that one's old enough so lag could only come from the inputs). There was a nagging feeling of slight input lag, but no worse than the MX Revolution mouse being used alongside it. Loaded up some random flash rhythm game out of curiosity and didn't feel hampered by the keyboard. It shouldn't be a problem unless gaming is pretty high on your list of priorities.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Skiant posted:

Gaming is pretty high on my list of priorities since it's the main usage of my home rig.
Note that if I buy a Sculpt I'll probably use it both at work (I'm a code monkey) and at home.

Now, I don't play that much to games where input lag is THAT crucial. The two most sensitive game I play right now are Guild Wars 2 (WvW battles) and Payday 2 with friends. I think it would probably be okay, I'll keep using my wired Roccat mouse anyway.

Thanks a lot for the review.

Just make sure to notice they offer a cheaper combo pack "for business" - just the main board and the numpad. I didn't need a new mouse, either:
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Erg...rds=sculpt+ergo

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
Hey, I'd posted about buying the MS Ergo Sculpt keyboard and was pretty jazzed about it. Great form factor, keys beat the pants off the MS4000. Just posting now to say that when typing quickly (75+ WPM), it sometimes retains or duplicates keypresses. I'll contact tech support about it tomorrow, but it'd be good for any prospective buyers here to know. It seems to be tied to fast typing within a local cluster, particularly -ING words. Some examples:

outstandinng outstandining outstanding outstandinng outstandining
feelinggs feelinings feelings feelinngs feelinings
dealinngs dealinngs dealinings dealinngs dealinings dealinngs
clowning clownining clowning
sharinng sharinng sharinng sharinng
sometmmes sometmimes sometimes sometiems sometmmies sometimimes
having havinng having having having havinng havinng

Pretty nasty bug if this isn't a weird fluke. I didn't run across this when searchinng(sic) reviews, and it's weird havining(sic) to artificially slow my typing. Makes it tough to get in the groove for prolonged typing.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
MS Ergo Sculpt false alarm:

sweart gliwere posted:

Hey, I'd posted about buying the MS Ergo Sculpt keyboard and was pretty jazzed about it. Great form factor, keys beat the pants off the MS4000. Just posting now to say that when typing quickly (75+ WPM), it sometimes retains or duplicates keypresses.
...(snip)

Turns out it's only supported officially in software for 7.0 and higher. It was apparently due to me running it on Vista (I literally couldn't install the packed-in MS stuff), or through my monitor's USB ports, or both. Now that I'm using 8.1, it's safe to type >90WPM again!

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
I've been using the Sculpt Ergo on Win8.1 for a while and don't notice any lag - there certainly must be some, but it doesn't get in the way of typing or navigation or games. Try changing the USB receiver's location, especially if it's being routed through a hub or monitor. I place the numpad almost a foot away and rotated ~30 degrees, so the angle disparity is a non-factor.

There were issues on a much older computer running Vista, but that was because the software wasn't compatible.

edit: Windows just had a little system alert that my software wasn't the newest version. Apparently you have to toggle the software updates to 'dynamic'
edit2: When my batteries started dying, it did make typing difficult until popping in new AAAs. There should be an indicator light for that, though.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 16, 2014

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Josh Lyman posted:

The Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 is on sale at a number of retailers for $25 right now, so I picked one up at Best Buy. I always thought an elevated palm rest area made more sense seeing as your fingers hang downward if your wrists are completely relaxed.

I've had less than 12 hours with it, and the spacebar is a piece of poo poo. If you press it in the middle, it goes down normally, but if you press it off-center with your hands in typing position, it's extremely stiff.

They make a wireless scissor-switch version, try it out at Staples or something. The discrete numpad is nice when angled, and they include the removable front lift to encourage natural posture like the MS4000. I got one months ago, it's great if you're OK with the switch type.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

BearJazz posted:

Normally I would just search the thread for this type of thing, but search is still down. My Apple keyboard is dying, and I was hoping to get a recommendation for a decent replacement. It doesn't HAVE to be OS X compatible, as I'm just using my old Apple keyboard with a newer Windows PC I built a couple months ago.

I'm looking for a chiclet keyboard that isn't going to run me more than $50. I'm willing to go over that price point if it's REALLY worth it. Has anybody had any particularly good experiences with any keyboards that meet that criteria?

I was looking at the Rosewill Slim and the AmazonBasics keyboard, but I can't find too much info on the former.
(assuming you enjoyed your Apple keyboard and cost is the only thing stopping you from buying another)

The key to getting a satisfying chiclet keyboard is making sure it doesn't have mushy (membrane) switches. Both of those keyboards use membrane switches, so they aren't going to fully replace your old keyboard.

Your Apple keyboard uses scissor switches, same as chiclet Logitech/MS/Lenovo/etc keyboards. I can't personally vouch for budget scissor-switch keyboards (big-name ones cost more but have better warranties), but there are options. If you're OK with a wired connection and standard layout rather than more ergonomic options, you can find ones under $50 easily.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

RC Cola posted:

What is a good keyboard with some sort of build in wrist support. I just need it to be comfortable enough to play games or to type for a few hours at a time. I'm currently using an old hp keyboard and my wrists just start hurting if I use if for any length of time.

The simplest rule is follow basic keyboard ergonomics. Are your forearms angled horizontally or lower when viewed from the side? Are your hands angled downward or neutrally relative to your forearms, when viewed from the side? Are your hands following the line from your elbow to wrist when viewed from above, or are they bent outwards? It could be as simple as using a taller chair, mounting your existing keyboard lower, or pushing it farther away on the desk. The ergonomic ideal would be a curved or split keyboard so your arms are angled naturally instead of at awkward t-rex angles, with a decline so the rear is lower than the front to take strain off your wrists. Backlit stuff tends to be standard layout instead of curved or split, so you're boxing yourself out of more ergonomic options if you insist on it.

MS makes a couple of boards with integrated wrist wrests and declines (Sculpt Ergo @$65 and Natural 4000 @$35), but you'll want to check reviews to make sure they don't have a feature that makes it a no-go for you. I'm a huge fan of the MS Sculpt Ergo but it uses scissor switches, it's wireless, and it's not the most affordable. Great for me, but maybe you hate laptop keys or wireless boards or something. The Natural Ergo 4000 has mushy rubber dome switches, I hate them but you're probably used to them coming from an old HP board. They're both fine for games, assuming you're fine with their specifications. There are plenty of other companies, but I haven't personally used those boards.

By the time you're experiencing pain from typing on a regular basis, you should start looking at ergonomic layouts as a standard feature rather than a bonus feature. What's your price range?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Malderi posted:

Oh, I know. But that's kind of my point - both that I really want one and there's none available, and partly because I'd rather beat that dead horse than another discussion of the One True Switch.

What's your budget, where do you live, and which designs are too deviant for you?

I know there are definitely ergonomic mechanicals out there, even though I'm happy with the MS sculpt ergo, personally.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Jack Forge posted:

I specifically avoided blues and their clicky ilk because I'm not deaf and I'd like to stay married. (Wife would murderer me with it if it was a clicky board.)

This got me wondering, are there any boards deliberately built for straight-up assholes?

Like styrofoam noisy O-rings, membranes with suction enough (or mechs with a wind-up return) to take a second to prime after pressing, or keys made of that faulty ammonia plastic?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Gort posted:

I'm generally not a fan of wireless devices - I don't like faffing with batteries.

Have you considered something wireless but with rechargeable batteries? That would let you plug in to charge without having a room-spanning cable, and include freedom not to sit in the one keyboard spot, etc

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Why the hell are people obsessed with having a USB hub on their keyboard?

It's nice if your mouse is a USB-to-charge or just plain corded type. Some monitors still don't have hubs built in, and not every desktop setup is fit for reasonably plugging the mouse into the front or rear IO areas :shrug:

I'd want a hub keyboard if I didn't have a hub monitor for my wireless-optional mouse and the USB-powered bias lighting​ strip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

any other suggestions?

I'm also thinking of adding a section after switches, and before "Should I Buy This Keyboard?" that takes a more indepth look at keyboard sizes, thoughts?

My other suggestion is either rename the thread to "mechanical keyboard megathread" or save some room for ergonomic layouts and good scissor switches

• Locked thread