Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

Stupid Question:

What's the best Lunar Lander game out there? iOS, Android, PC, Console .... whatever.

And yes, I know about the Kerbal Space Program.

I'm thinking of just a simple lunar lander game.

(I'm not trying to build one, just doing a survey).

http://store.steampowered.com/app/208600/Lunar_Flight/

Good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

McFrugal posted:

The Witness was pretty good, despite only being a little bit less pretentious than I expected. I didn't wind up taking many real notes, mostly just worked out puzzles on paper for the most part. That was satisfying too though.

Anyone got a recommendation for a game where I need to take notes or otherwise use a notepad? I wouldn't mind playing an old game for this, even.

I'll say the obvious and say Myst. Though I recommend RealMyst as the original interface is a chore.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/704640/Evolution_of_Ages_Settlements/

Settlements is what you're looking for. It's got a weird antique UI but it's very absorbing.

That might be the ugliest game I have ever seen.

Speaking of ugly games

https://store.steampowered.com/app/573060/LOGistICAL/

You deliver raw materials to processing plants to make other materials to deliver them elsewhere to make other prodcuts to deliver them to towns for cheevos. The UI is bad and clunky, the game is ugly, but you can't lose and the projects to build roads and complete cities gets bigger and more complex. I wouldn't call it hard, but you'll have to (clunkily) recall your fleet of trucks and give it a few minutes of thought on how to complete some of your objectives.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Nuclear War posted:

Is there anything out there like the old Escape Velocity games? I used to love them but apparently you can't buy them anymore - their payment processor takes payment but the company is shuttered or something so you dont receive a download.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/404410/Endless_Sky/

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Are you set on the sci-fi theme? If you're not, Battle Brothers is really great. The main problem is that you need the Warriors of the North DLC for different starts.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Looking for a Switch game that’s mindless but engaging - something like Binding of Isaac but less actiony. Basically something I can get stoned and zone out while playing.

Any good roguelikes/lites?

I've been really digging Monster Hunter GU on the Switch. I often get stoned and do the Monster Hunter grind, the combat is slow enough that being a little slow yourself usually isn't the end of times.

On the roguelike side of things, I've only got a PC recommendation. CogMind is great. You play as a robot murdering other robots for their robot parts so you can be a better robot. https://store.steampowered.com/app/722730/Cogmind/

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Check out Cogmind. You're a robot wandering around murdering other robots for parts to make yourself a better robot. It also has the most beautiful UI I've ever seen in a roguelike.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Are there any games (probably in the survival genre, but not necessarily) where you play a wild or feral animal, scavenging for food, etc?

Rain World is almost the perfect example but I'm looking for something with even less pressure to "progress" forwards, and maybe a little easier.

Tokyo Jungle on PS3.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

iSurrender posted:

Punch Club would have been a much better game if you could turn the grindiness down.

IIRC they patched in an easy/story mode where your stats don't decay or decay much slower. It's probably really poorly done, but the option is there.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

kyh is definitely a hamster IRL.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Teeter posted:

I've been playing Star Renegades on gamepass and it's scratched and itch that I want more of. Looking for a turn-based rpg that has a strong focus on character progression and loot. I have minimal interest in exploring or overworld gameplay and would prefer something that maximizes times in encounters.

Probably leaning more towards JRPG than CRPG, mostly because I've exhausted most of my options in the latter and have barely scratched the former.

Disgaea. You have a lot of flexability in how you build your party (or just make one badass murderer) and you can you can make your loot better too. It's all a giant grind but it's great.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Teeter posted:

Gamepass just added Disgaea 4 Complete+. Is it cool to jump in here or is there any reason to seek out an earlier one?

I haven't played 4, but there's no reason to go find earlier ones. They might make callbacks to the other games in the DLCs or a reference here or they're not related, aside from Disgaea D2 (not to be confused with Disgaea 2) which is a sequel to the first Disgaea.

I really like 5, there's a farm for your weapon enhancements, so it's much easier to grind out +300% Experience for all your party members.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Fairly sure you want Burnout Paradise.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Can someone recommend me the best paid idle/clicker game on steam? I can't decide between EF: Reclaiming the World or Idle Evolution and want to know if there's something better. I want it to be paid so I can just buy it and then work on finishing it.

Potentially https://store.steampowered.com/app/893850/THE_LONGING/

The General
Mar 4, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It’s terrible. Great story, but the combat isn’t tactical. It’s random, and it’s slow as heck.

My experience was slowly advance. Slowly advance. Enemy tank pops out of nowhere and destroys my poo poo for destroying tanks. I have no idea how I'm supposed to keep my atgms safe because no matter what I do, a tank pops up and destroys it instantly. Keep it back somewhere safe, find a tank, bring my atgm up, set it up and it dies instantly.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Lock N Load Tactical Digital is pretty great. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1149940/Lock_n_Load_Tactical_Digital_Core_Game/

Though you definitely need to read the rulebook as it's a boardgame turned digital.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Disgaea. You can skip the story if you want, and it's basically a grinding simulator.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Spiderweb Software makes some good isometrics.

https://store.steampowered.com/developer/spiderwebsoftware

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

I LOVE Mobius Front 88 and was looking at other Zachtronics games but it looks like they all require some sort of coding background and I've never written a line of code in my life. Where would be a good place to start?

I've no programming background other than a class I took in highschool 20 years ago (and did terrible in). If you're interested in maybe checking out programming games I'd say Exapunks is an excellent place to start. I think I got about halfway through the game before I had to call it quits for being too hard.

Opus Magnum is probably better if you've no interest at all in typing some code, though I dunno what my problem is I bounced off of it. But honestly, they'll good places to start aside from TIS-100. That one was definitely too much for me, and I'd probably wait for after playing Exapunks to checkout Shenzen IO. I think I also got to about the halfway point with Shenzen before it got too hard for me :negative: Thoroughly enjoyed my time with them though.

Edit: Also want to give a shoutout to Molek-Syntez. It's no slouch either. Though honestly, just buy them all for all those sweet sweet solitaire variants.

The General fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 20, 2022

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

if I can manage to beat the game.

Good fuckin' luck :v:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

PQ2 wasn't nearly as good as PQ. Sucks to see it go though.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Do any of those mods fix the initiative issue I have with Battletech? The rigid initiative order just bothers me so much. In the boardgame it was fun to be a light mech and get in and do some behind damage, then zoom out of there before the heavy/assault turned around and smoked you, but sometimes you didn't get away in time...

The General
Mar 4, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I don't know if this is exactly the thread for it, but it's worth a try anyway:

I'm looking for a game from maybe the 90s or early 2000s, which is sort-of like Scorched Earth in that you have tanks that shoot other tanks, but instead of being 2D it's using an 3D isometric camera view that can be moved all around the map that also exists in 3D space.
It's very possible it was an RTS game, but I'm not completely sure about that.

Does anyone have a clue what it could be?

Blast Doors by Freds Friends?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

StoryTime posted:

LOGistICAL is a game where you figure out logistical transport routes. Quite chill, you can't really fail.

I've got a few hundred hours in Logistical Earth. And yeah you can't really fail, but it sure is easy to miss things. I'm way past the point where I should have airplanes, but I just can't find any pilots ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I think the first game starts with 2 or 3 unwinnable setpieces. They drove me away. I might try again now that I've read the source material.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The only optional one is Crucible IMHO. The other two have classes.

Edit: They're not required by any means, but more classes.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

If it's Through The Ages as suggested above, you can come to the Board Game thread if you want goons to play with (who will stomp you around like they did me).

IMHO it only takes 20~ games of being crushed before you're up to speed.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Through the Ages that was it ty everyone!! idk why i thought it was hex based

If you start playing online, feel free to add The_General to any async games.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

That is some straight up bullshit.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

The game also kinda falls apart about 10-15 hours in, it’s tragic.

Failed concept from the start IMHO. Not sure who pitched the idea "It's a base builder, but you go to other planets, so there's no reason to build a base. And also you can't build your base in your starship."

The General
Mar 4, 2007

EclecticTastes posted:

-Shadowrun Returns/Dragonfall/Hong Kong

I wanted to like these so much. And I did with my tanky street sam build. I tried to do a squishy conjuring build and every encounter starts with opening a door and getting shot three times before you can do anything about it. And knowledge that it's going to happen doesn't help as you can't change who is going to open the door.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Wilmont's Warehouse is pretty good for moving around cubes.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

An Actual Princess posted:

why would you want this. What is wrong with you.

At least they've gotten past their Wonder Bread fetish.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

grate deceiver posted:

Crystal Project maybe?

Crystal Project is so goddamn good. The only bad part is the chocobo quintar racing and breeding.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I wanted to like Wildermyth, but I found the pacing to be weird. Felt like I was being rushed to constantly go forwards, and then punished for doing so.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

An Actual Princess posted:

this just makes me wish there was a modern version of gazillionaire

God yes please. Lavamind went weird directions, and for whatever reason the version they have on Steam isn't even the Deluxe version???

The General
Mar 4, 2007

No Dignity posted:

Are there any high quality classical platformers I could pick up in the Steam Sale? Not a metroidvania, not an extreme suffering & systems mastery game, not storygame just using platforming as its medium or a puzzle platformer, just like a Mario style game with good running and jumping and enough difficulty to stimulating?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/792710/Levelhead_Platformer_Maker/

The General
Mar 4, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Shovel Knight is very good, go for the Treasure Trove to have fun with Plague Knight, Specter Knight, and King Knight as well.

For 3D platformers, there's A Hat in Time that is doing its best to be Mario 64. Or Spyro, that's a classic.

I sold my switch the other year, and Shovel Knight is what I miss most. I could get it again on PC, but I'm cheap ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Perfectly excusable to play Grim Fandango following a walkthrough. The story is worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I think The Bouncer?