Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm looking for a tactical strategy game like X-Com and Jagged Alliance that I haven't played yet.
I've played X-Com, UFO Series, Jagged Alliance, Silent Storm Series, UFO:AI.

I don't think there are any other similar game left that I haven't played yet but I'll be really glad to be proven wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If you enjoyed the original Neverwinter Nights 2 campaign, you will love Dragon Age. It's basically Neverwinter Nights 3 in everything except setting.

In that case I'm some kind of freak of nature because Neverwinter Night 1-2 are one of my favorite games while I didn't really like Dragon Age.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Me and my friend are looking for something akin to the old BattleForge that was killed off by EA.
It's a mix between a TCG and an RTS so probably anything with coop/pvp play that involves cards and RTS or TBS combat would interest us as long as it's not lane based, ala Clash Royale.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Me and my friend had a total blast playing Clandestine, an asymmetric co-op stealth game, where one player plays the operative and another plays a hacker.
We're looking for any other asymmetric co-op, of any kind really. Even boardgames that can be played via Tabletop Simulator are fine, we have a really hard time finding any kind of asymmetric coop games.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Have you tried Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes? It's a bomb defusal simulator: one player has the bomb, the other player has the book detailing how the bomb works.

Yeah, that was a great game too.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Same with literally any Anno game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I've been wanting to play a mecha action game on PC but like, not the slow Battletech-style tanks-on-legs mechs but rather the fast and agile style the japanese mecha games usually go for.
The only game like that on PC I've ever seen was Front Mission Evolved and the game itself was not that great.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Me and my friend were interesting in playing some kind of 2v2 competitive game, of basically any genre, with enough of a player base to comfortable find matches, preferably not an RTS.
I tried looking around myself but I couldn't find anything except for Bloodline Champions which seems to be 100% dead.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Splicer posted:

The open world isn't massive but maybe prototype?

Prototype is great.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I've been playing a lot of Heat Signature and Cryptark lately, both are great games, and now I'm really feeling like playing more games based around the idea of infiltrating randomly generated compounds full of complex interlocking systems.
Anyone can recommend anything like that?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Gunpoint is great.

Thanks for suggestions but unfortunately I already played most of them a shitton.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I want to play some sort of "kill hordes of enemies with increasingly more and more ridiculous methods" game that ISN'T inspired by Diablo 2.

Like, Grim Dawn for example mostly fits the bill of what I am looking for but because it's based on Diablo 2 the progression in that game is just stacking numbers and the methods of murder stay the same. Path of Exile was slightly better but quickly reaches the same point as well.

Diablo 3 was exactly what I am looking for but it ran out of content ages ago.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

signalnoise posted:

I have played Pillars of Eternity, Life is Strange, and Tyranny. To be clear, I'm not talking about the choices having an effect on the game world, I'm talking about the deliberate exploration of concept. In the case of these three, I like them all in terms of the meaningfulness of their choices if that's what I am going for, relative to stuff like Dishonored or Deus Ex. They are good examples of player agency. However, in this request I think Tyranny is probably the best candidate as something that explores different ways of being a bad person.

Anyways I am a turbonerd please dig deep

Synthetik is a game that explores such deep and captivating concepts as "How many ways is there for a high speed lead projectile to pierce a synthetic cranium." and "Can you really trust your fellow man when he's got a high powered sniper rifle and you're currently between him and his enemies."

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Has nobody made OpenAlphaCentauri or something? Seems like the kind of game that would.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Heat Signature is absolutely stellar.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Magnetic North posted:

Are there any arcade-y racers and/or vehicular combat games on Steam that goons recommend? (besides Mad Max, which I tried and it was pretty okay) None of the classic series got on there except the lovely Burnout.

I've played:
Flatout 1
Mad Max
Crossout

Distance
Redout
Lightfield

In that order

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

UltraShame posted:

Any recommendations for games like Nioh 1/2?

Specifically - I'm in the mood for something (preferably an Adventure/RPG) with absurd systems on systems on systems.

Things like this that I enjoyed:
  • Nioh 1/2
  • Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  • Infinity Engine RPGs and their modern -alikes (although I'm pretty sure I've played all of these)
  • Good Immersive Sims (I'm pretty sure I've played all of these)
Things like this I didn't enjoy:
  • Path of Exile
  • Crusader Kings/Stellaris/Grand Strategy in general
  • Thigs that are complicated because they aren't explained (looking at you, Deadly Premonition, Hellpoint, etc)

Complex system games I've liked but don't really fit the bill as actiony/rpg: Dwarf Fortress, Qud, Eve online.

Heat Signature is a great systemic immersive sim.

As someone mentioned before, Resonance of Fate is great too.

Siralim is a party building SMT-like that goes absolutely bonkers with its systems.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

I would like some game recommendations. I don't really play multiplayer games, so something with a strong single player component or exclusively single player is preferred.

Things I like in games:

Action games with swordsmanship that's more indepth than just clicking on the bad guy until it dies (Sekiro, Kingdom Come Deliverance)

Metal Gear Rising

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

War had them, but it wasn’t bad because of that. It was just far too grindy in general and the micro transactions had no bearing upon that, even if you paid up it’d take just as long.

The what grind? There was no grind in Shadow of War. It had an extended post-game in case you wanted a small "true ending" cutscene but there was no grind in that, it was just 20 fortress defense missions.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There's a lot of time you have to spend during the game just to repeatedly take territory and build up your army over and over in each region, and if you wouldn't describe 20 repeated missions as a grind, then I'm not sure what would count. Especially considering 20 missions is the shortened form of the Shadow War.

20 missions is the original length of the Shadow Wars, they shortened it to 5 missions now, and a fortress defense mission is like 10 minutes long. If that.

I don't know what you mean by "repeatedly take territory" because that's not a thing you do in the last act.
Similarly building an army is not something that you have to think about either because level appropriate captains are literally brought to you during the defense missions.

There's no grind there, it's just pure gameplay.

deep dish peat moss posted:

It was pretty grindy before the microtransactions were removed, but when they took them out they reduced the grind since "buy MTX gambling or exp boosts" was their intended way for players to get the rare stuff or to get to high levels or whatever.

Can you elaborate on what you're allegedly grinding in the game or do you get all your video game critiques from Jim Sterling?

Cause I've beaten the game on highest difficulty once at launch and once after they removed MTX bullshit and there was frankly not much difference other that Shadow Wars becoming way too short.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 30, 2021

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm talking about the whole course of the game. It's repetitive grindy open world tripe.

Tell me you haven't played it without saying that you haven't played it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Azuth0667 posted:

Is there anything modern that's like dynasty warriors but not anime?

E: For PC.

Western version of Musou would be like...Diablo?

EDIT: Now that I'm thinking about it, it's strange how literally nobody else is doing the same "hack'n'slash in a middle of an open battlefield with mooks and control points and poo poo" style of game. I wonder if Koei has a patent on that or something.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 31, 2021

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Musou games have a very particular combat flow that I really don't see anywhere else. Games like Starsector and Mount & Blade are very similar on the surface but those games' combat takes place in more or less an open field and even if there is terrain there's always only one objective (usually, kill other guys) meanwhile Musou games' combat flow is about territory control and managing being in the right locations to support your troops while the battle naturally unfolds around the map.

Different way to put it would be that battles in games like Mount & Blade are about one fight where both armies meet each other and then the winner of that fight wins the whole battle, meanwhile Musou games are usually about winning a lot of smaller fights in a more prolonged fashion instead.

Unfortunately I can't think of anything else that quite scratches that itch.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

In Gothic you buy a scroll that turns you into a raptor and kill everything on the map at the start of the game to skip all the combat.
Does that count?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Are there any card games that have 2v2 gamemodes?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

MonHun isn't Souls. The combat is much more complex and interesting.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Xun posted:

Can anyone reccomend some good co-op rpgs for me and my wife? We really enjoyed Divinity OS 1/2, Magicka, and Saints Row 3/4. Bounced off MH:W due to how annoying it was to setup a coop game on PC and also neither of us really clicked with the gameplay. Stuff with multiplayer like dark souls and code vein also didn't really feel like we were progressing together. If it's not obvious we also exclusively play on PC :v:

Wasteland 3

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Streets of Rage 4 is absolutely fantastic, as long as you don't try to coop it online. The netcode is miserable.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

tildes posted:

Wasteland 3 is probably the best recommendation I can think of. It is very similar in vibe to DOS - ie RTWP, control a little group, decent story. I thought it was definitely solid to play through in coop.

DOS Isn't RTWP and neither is Wasteland?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dragon's Dogma is fantastic but the giant monsters aren't that frequent in that game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Asura's Wrath is loving amazing but I'm not sure it falls under "not much challenge" because the combat can be a bit wonky and bosses can be a challenge.
There might be an easy mode though, I don't remember.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

NMS is like 30% inventory management, 30% base building and 30% lovely buggy combat, and the rest is exploration.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Okay, here's a random request - are there any games out there where the point of the game is exploration?

I'm asking for my wife. She loves exploration games. She played Subnautica and love the exploration aspects of it, but unfortunately the game gave her headaches for some reason - an issue she's never had with games before. Also, the underwater nature of everything often got her very turned around and lost.

We've been playing Satisfactory together - she goes and explores while I design and build the factory. This is the same way we used to play Minecraft together. I would build/design while she explored.

Are there any good games out there where exploration is the main point of the game?

(And and a preemptive no to No Man's Sky)

Outer Wilds?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

She prefers stuff with some combat and not so much a puzzle focus. And story-lite, if any at all.

A perfect game for her would have the exploration elements of something like Satisfactory or Minecraft or Subnautica, but then much much more simplified base building.

Like an "above ground" Subnautica would be incredible.

Astroneer has very simple base building and a fair bit of exploration.

Starbound is kind of like 2d Minecraft but you explore planets and your base is a starship that's always accesabble.

Slime Rancher does a lot of exploration interspersed with some base management/racial segregation simulator. Also very cute.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone have Turn-Based RPG recommendations for a person that strongly dislikes D&D combat system for having too much dice-rolling and too little interesting decision making?

Divinity: Original Sin 1/2 were the only ones that I could get into because the combat system actually had you do something interesting every turn and it was complex enough that it was really difficult to play optimally, which I thought was very fun.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SkeletonHero posted:

Good non-RPG wizard games. Action RPGs are okay. I just want to be a wizard going around doing wizard poo poo. I didn't like Magicka very much but the vibe was right.

Arx Fatalis (with the Arx Libertalis mod, so it works on modern machines) is the game that nails being a wizard best, IMO.
ALL spells consist out of runes that you need to draw to cast a spell and those runes can be translated to actual words, which you can switch out to cast a different spell.
For example you might learn that Create-Missile casts a Magic Missile but if you were to do a Create-Fire-Missile then you cast a Fireball instead.
Or if you learned that the Heal spell was Increase-Life, then you could via some experimentation draw the Increase rune upside-down and find a secret Harm spell by drawing Decrease-Life instead.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

External Organs posted:

So I find that I weirdly enjoy stealth kills in Elden Ring...are there any notable third person games where stealth can be a viable strategy? For some reason it just feels great.

Xbox games please. Tia!

Shadow of Mordor/Shadow of War has extremely satisfying stealth kills.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

pofcorn posted:

So I got a 3070 and it's pretty baller, but I'm actually looking for some chill games that look great and feature ray tracing. Something like an RPG or adventure game that I can max out and play at 60 fps on the couch.

I'm not sure you're going to be able to notice raytracing from the couch but...Control fits the bill.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

poisonpill posted:

What is ray tracing and how does it make games look better?
:frogbon:

Long story short, ray tracing is very performance heavy technique that makes everything related to lighting (lights, shadows, reflections) look much better AND makes everything related to lighting easier for developers to implement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I don't think there's many games of this type so I probably already played them all but I might as well ask.

I really like the idea of games where you infiltrate a procedurally generated complex full of security systems.
I've already played the poo poo out of Heat Signature, Void Bastards, Cryptark and, I guess, Warframe.
Heat Signature and Cryptark in particular are loving phenomenal. I wish that either had a sequel.
Anything I missed?