Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Shrouded Isle is a game where you manage a cult to some manner of horrifying lovecraftian gods, and to that end you must balance the town's politics with the gods' will. Eye-searing and full of all kinds of uncomfortable oppression.

If you're more interested in the managing a bunch of people side of things, there's town management games that have a bunch of religious flavor, like Frostpunk. There's also King of Dragon Pass, where you're managing a little viking settlement, but half of what they do is all religious rites and trying to figure out legends so they can do the rituals better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Primordia is the most thematically similar to Machinarium, although maybe a different tone. Sam & Max is also very good, although the first season from Telltale is a little rough.

After a point Telltale stopped making puzzle-type adventure games and put all their resources into more dramatic games, but what they made before the shift is mostly good.

Evilreaver posted:

I need a multiplayer base builder game, a la Factorio. Anything like that?

If it's the making big automated machines to get tasks done or collect resources, then maybe you'd like something like the Sky Factory mod for Minecraft? That one is all combining a bunch of different mods so you can create a whole world from a tree on a block of dirt floating in a void. There's other modpacks for if you want similar building experiences but an environment to explore as well, like Galacticraft. Just beware that Minecraft, especially after modders have had their way with it, can be a bit of a resource hog and can make your machine really chug.

Alternatively, maybe Astroneer?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Since you didn't elaborate, it just kinda looks like you're calling Confetti sexist for recommending it.

Basically the main character of that series is the biggest loving piece of poo poo. The game kinda tries to call him out on his poo poo, punish him for it, teach him a lesson, and what have you, but he may cross a line in there.

Other than that, the world is fun and the art's nice, just beware. There's a free demo that you can play to see if you're be okay with it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My favorite clicker is A Dark Room. Also has an ending.

Knights of Pen and Paper is the only grindy RPG I've played recently, it's pretty fun. Personally, big sandbox games like Assassin's Creed are what I do for when I want to be doing something but not use my brain. You can noodle around for hours in those.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Fruits of the sea posted:

Any recommendations for card-based games that don't put a ton of emphasis on deck-building? Preferably with a narrative and/or roguelike structure.

I enjoy card games, I just always end up wanting to skip to the fun part (for me) which is figuring out how to best use the cards together on the fly.

Personally, I managed to make it through most of Megaman Battle Network games without ever really getting into the aspect of designing a deck. I just took the premade decks and replaced the chips with linear upgrades of themselves to keep relevant against new enemies.

I would encourage you to either attempt deckbuilding games or just steal strategies from the internet. I had a great time with the pokemon card game video game when I finally started deckbuilding and stole most of my central strategies from magazines I read back in the day. Thanks Beckett and Pojo. It's pretty simple to figure out balance after you have a base strategy, and that's half the fun of the game once you start.

Splicer posted:

Guild of Dungeoneering and Card Hunter. The latter is freemium so you can try it out to see if you like it.

Guild of Dungeoneering is great, but isn't Card Hunter dead? I had a whole lot of fun with Loot & Legends, the sequel to the game on android, but then it and any trace of it disappeared one day.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You can also sidestep Steam entirely by getting your games on GoG. Then you download the whole things and can play them DRM free. Also gog puts more effort into making sure games will work for your computer so there'll be less tech issues.

You only really lose out on a couple of Steam's big sales and some games that only put their digital release on Steam.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Riatsala posted:

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak is a worthy Homeworld prequel and a great RTS. I personally think it has the most compelling story of the series, but that's just my opinion.

I thought Homeworld: Cataclysm (now known as Homeworld: Emergence because of legal reasons) was the most compelling one. It has a more sci-fi premise too.

Somtaaw 4 lyfe.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

What's the best game to play when you're angry?

Something wild and crazy but not actually very hard might be nice. This conversation's making me think of Super Time Force Ultra.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you liked Don't Starve a lot, but now want a game like that, but with more basebuilding, you might want to check out another game by Klei, Oxygen Not Included. It gets into more elaborate construction like with plumbing, electricity, and clone management.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Assassin's Creed series used to be real good for forgetting about the plot and just dicking around, but the new ones are built all around a leveling system that will seriously punish you for drifting out of your level zone, which may not be your thing. For some reason they decided that the series needed to be even more of a drawn out grind than it already was.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well, I don't think there's any games that will give you local multiplayer for an open-world type of game, especially since most modern games have fallen away from splitscreens. Maybe any of the Lego games could fill that itch for you, they're the last splitscreen holdouts I know of. Come to think of it, Lego City Undercover is open-world, that may be what you're angling towards.

Other than that, I can just tell you local co-op games I've had fun with, Brothers is one of the big ones, and then there's Octodad, Crypt of the Necrodancer, and Party Hard. You could even play Awesomenauts with local multiplayer.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Assassin's Creed 2. You slowly pump money into restoring a whole Italian villa and it's pretty rad.

It's weird, that was a great part of AC2, and the only game later in the series that really followed up on it was AC3, where you built a homestead into a bit of a town with full quests and cutscenes for building up your relationship with your citizenry. Otherwise, maybe the worst game in the series.

Bastion has an element of this, building up the Bastion in a couple ways towards the end of the game. Breath of the Wild has a sidequest for building up a town, and Dragon Quest Builders is all about building up your central village.

There's the Logical Journey of the Zoombinis, which doesn't have a story of any real kind, but every time you finish your journey with a pack of Zoombinis, they build up the long-fabled Zoombiniville up a little more. Kinda like if Oregon Trail had a campaign where you could see everyone who made it to Oregon. It was a real interesting premise to the game.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

double nine posted:

are there any games similar to the yawgh? That is: local multiplayer with each player their own character, story-focused choose your own adventure-esque.

The only one I know of in particular is Monster Prom, if you feel like doing a co-op dating sim.

I feel like the videogame industry is really not that keen on local multiplayer, so if you really want something with that format, you might want to check out tabletop games. The big one is Tales of the Arabian Nights, although there's also Near and Far, which has slower story progression, but has more of a game attached to it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

One of the best city builder games out there is Tropico, which is also a tyrannical dictatorship like Frostpunk, but instead of rubbing your nose in it, it's goofy and fun. Tropico 4 is the one I'd recommend. In that one they've finally worked out the details of their commodity system where the prices of your island's exports are influenced by your country's relationship with the rest of the world. The Middle East wants one thing, Europe wants another, the US and USSR don't like it if you're getting too close to the other. Tropico 3 only had the US and USSR. You also get a mission system to keep things interesting.

Tropico 5 was mainly devoted to the gimmick of doing a long-running campaign with a dynasty of dictators, starting in colonial times, which I wasn't fond of. Of course, Tropico 6 is right around the corner in March if you're the type of person who likes playing games when they're new.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The only DLC that really changes things for Tropico 4 is Modern Times. It adds a whole thing with being able to upgrade buildings over time as technology develops, along with an entirely new campaign and a bunch of new edicts. All the other DLCs are very shallow and just add a building and a scenario. The Quick-Dry Cement DLC is the only real priority out of those, since the cement factory speeds up all construction, which is a real quality of life improvement.

Of course, the fun thing about buying games long after release is that by this point all those DLCs have been bundled together to be cheaper.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Super Paper Mario has some good moments, but it technically isn't an RPG. I think quality-wise, Thousand Year Door is the pinnacle of the series. It's just a hard act to follow because it's so good. It may also technically be the darkest Mario game.

Trying to think of games outside of the Mario series that use that sort of mechanic, there's Costume Quest and Steven Universe: Save the Light. You might also be interested in something like the hybrid turn-based action RPG Megaman Battle Network.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

From personal experience, I had a great time playing Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, so I'd recommend that and it's successor games, Prototype and Prototype 2. Real sprawling sandboxes where it's fun to just move around and get lost between missions, and light story because your words brain should be busy with the podcast. The Asscreed games can also be good if either you're in one of the story-lite games or you just plain don't care about the story. I think Dynasty Warriors tries too hard to keep you on edge about falling command posts to veg out to. For newer games, maybe the new Spiderman or Crackdown 3?

And for smaller games I'd suggest roguelikes like Spelunky. FTL is also real great for that sort of thing, because if you can freely pause, you can control the pace of play.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you've played through Steamworld Heist, you might appreciate just playing through Steamworld Digs 1 & 2. It's not a turn-based game, but it's still pretty slow and chill. Just diggin' through the Earth. If nothing else, you might appreciate how...uh...contiguous their stories are.

Valkyria Chronicles might be good for your purposes too. It's a bizarre turn-based tactical RTS hybrid where you control individual soldiers at a time to manually run them to whatever position you want them to fire, and you get to aim a shot. If you wander into the firing range of an enemy, they'll shoot at you (and vice versa on the enemy's turn), so that's kinda tower based as well. There's even non-story missions you can do if you want to just to a little chill grinding, like Fire Emblem has (or used to have? it's been a long while since I played FE). Just be warned that also like Fire Emblem, there's a whole lot of faffing about with menus between missions, and the cutscene plots can get really long-winded. JRPGs have a tendency of not letting you get to the part where you just play.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I really liked Megaman Battle Network for that. Another hybrid turn-based system where you get to pick your attack abilities at regular intervals, but then you have to hop around on a 3x3 grid shooting and dodging. 3 is probably my favorite.

There's also games like Golf Story or Super Paper Mario that try to take the more JRPG formula and just don't do turn-based combat at all, if that's what you're into. Maybe Dragonquest Builders? Ni No Kuni is also supposed to be more action-y.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Deformed Church posted:

Has there been anything good on PC in the past two or three years with age of sail tall ship stuff?

The most recent hits have been Obra Dinn (a mystery-solving game based in the age of sale) and Sea of Thieves (an mmo). If you haven't checked out Assassin's Creed 4 by now, you should maybe give it a chance too, it's not really a modern version of Sid Meier's Pirates, but it can be really reminiscent.

If it's the experience of ship-to-ship combat you're after, I'd recommend checking out World of Warships or maybe some space games like Star Control Origins or Battlefleet Gothic.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If it's just the feeling of progressing through trees of get X to be able to make Y to finally make Z and unlock the next tier of things to make, I'd still recommend Minecraft Sky Factory. You start with nothing (and nowhere to explore) but you steadily build out everything to build higher and higher tiers of things. You still kind of have to choose what higher tiers you really want to shoot for, which is sort of making your own goals, but you can get really far before running out of steam.

There's also Evolve, which is 7 Days to Die but with Dinosaurs instead of Zombies, and no ruins to explore.

Mayveena posted:

Astroneer, it's all crafting and exploration but no combat that I've seen.

I'd second this as well. Technically some plants will fight you, but it doesn't mean much.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well, the first thing that pops into mind when you say that is Fate of the World. Also Paradox Games might count.

Assassin's Creed 2 has a pretty neat thing where you build up a town, but I guess there's a lot of games that throw that in as a side game. If Okami scratched that itch for you, maybe Twilight Princess?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

are there any good stealth games where, isntead of trying to go through the level undetected, the goal is to stealthily murder all the enemies? i want a game where i feel less like a ninja, and more like a slasher movie villian, coming out of the shadows to shank an unsuspecting victim, then disappearing before his buddies can turn around and shoot me

The Sniper Elite series is great for this. You can stealth through most of the level, but the game fully supports and encourages just killing everyone. You can sometimes just murder your way out of an alert. There's something zen about, in the midst of chaos, killing off nazis one by one, especially with slow-motion following the bullet through your enemy's vitals to give you time to reflect on things.

That's also one of the playstyles that Dishonored supports, even if the game tries to get on its moral high horse about it.

There's also the predator sections of Batman Arkham Asylum, although nominally there's no killing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The closest I can think is Last Federation, which is a lot like your standard 4X space game, but instead of controlling an entire society, you control a lone spaceship as last member of a dead race, and from that position you must nudge the intergalactic political system into creating another galactic federation.

Other than that, you might want to jump genres. Crusader Kings maybe?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Portal 2
Octodad
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Astroneer
Any of the Lego games.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think that may have been the ending of Dragon's Dogma.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The ending was very weird.

You get a couple possible forks, either becoming king or becoming the dragon or going down an infinite dungeon to confront god who is also your character and upon beating him you become god, infinitely surveying over all creation unless you stab yourself with a magical dagger to descend and become mortal once more (or your pawn becomes you and descends in your form?) and begin the new game plus.

My favorite part about Dragon's Dogma is the character creation, where you get to edit your character's body type, like height, weight, and muscle tone and it has an actual impact on your in-game stats. It was amazing, but you could only do it twice per-game because of one of many of the game's weird design decisions, only 1 character and 1 pawn per online user identity. Has there been a game since then that did a character creation like that? Because I would play something like that in a heartbeat.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Frostpunk, maybe? A little bigger than just a town. Or if you want a warmer but more chill version of Frostpunk, there's Tropico, but it's also a fair amount bigger than a town, especially with the direction Tropico 6 is going. There's also Startopia, which is a smaller scale, but it's not exactly a town.

There's also a slew of space colonization games out there, but I've never played any of them. A whole lot depends on what you're looking for or what you don't like specifically. Rimworld I think is supposed to be inspired by Dwarf Fortress, and there's also Oxygen Not Included and Surviving Mars.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

prometheusbound2 posted:

I've been playing Tales of Maj'Eyal and I love it. It's my first serious foray into a roguelike, and I'm definitely going to explore the genre more. One feature that I really like is that specific achievements result in specific unlockables. What are other games--not just roguelikes--that do that?

FTL and Into the Breach work like that.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Maybe This is the Police?

Seems like the kind of format that would be perfect for a mobile game, but all I can think of is Tiny Airplanes. There's a mobile game that my mom's been playing for a while that has a similar element, but no customization, and mostly waiting out timers. Maybe King of Dragon Pass? There's a lot of management of people without dipping into a full tactical setup in that game.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Flower, by the makers of Journey is also a game that features a sort of resurrecting the landscape.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It sounds a bit like a thing I heard about God Hand.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You could maybe give Dragon's Dogma a look? It's not exactly dungeon crawling for the most part, but it's got some real nice hack and slash action without exactly reaching Dark Souls difficulty. Also some very engaging and kinetic magic.

Vookatos posted:

Hi everyone! I recently played through both La Mulana games, and I'd like something similar. Simon's Quest in Castlevania Collection also scratches that itch but obviously that game has issues.
Is there something similar I could play? I guess something like an exploration platformer that resembles Metroidvania, but more puzzle-based.

Spelunky feels like it's drinking from the same well as La Mulana, although it's a roguelike, not a Metroidvania.

Wuppo is very light on combat, and it's more about writing and exploring the world you live in. It's very nice.

Blaster Master 0 has a similar feel to La Mulana in that it's a remade old NES Metroidvania, but it's much lighter on puzzles. There's also a sequel that came out recently.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

It makes me sad that this genre feels so loving dead nowadays.

It's not so much dead as different fads have overtaken the old ways. Dark Souls pushed many devs to try developing more skill-based things instead of grinding, while other triple A devs are chasing after other trends. You might like going after some more open-world action games like Shadow of Mordor, or try dipping into other side genres of action like the Arkham games or Monster Hunter.

And since you're open to isometrics, you might have some fun with Kamiko. Indie devs are always there, but it can be hard to find them in all the mess. Also Dragon Age or Jade Empire might tickle your fancy underneath all the layers of story, they're pretty actiony.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Regular Human Basketball and SportsFriends.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Maybe Jalopy?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Berzerker posted:

I'm a lifelong console gamer who recently bought a PC that can actually run stuff. Looking for a few recommendations:

You might wanna check out Valkyria Chronicles. It's a weird hybrid between a shooter, a turn-based strategy game like XCOM, and with some heavy JRPG overtones like with Final Fantasy. VC4 is on sale on steam right now.

Steamworld Heist might also scratch that itch for tactical turn-based combat.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

All I can think of is Graveyard Keeper or Stardew Valley. Maybe Slime Rancher?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you like Mass Effect 2 mechanically, you could try out The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. If you liked it for the sort of RPG story, dialogue, and sidequests, there's Deus Ex: Human Revolution (which also has a fair amount of stealthing like Dishonored). Bioware's other games like Dragon Age or Jade Empire might also be worth a look.

The Assassin's Creed games are definitely worth a look if you haven't tried them already, although I can't speak for the newer games in the series. Batman Arkham Asylum refined that sort of group fighting with counterattacks to an art, and is pretty amazing.

And then there's Bastion, Shadow of the Colossus, and Beyond Good and Evil for some great games everybody should give a try if they get the chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Viscera Cleanup Detail is definitely the top for that. There's also Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor and Serial Cleaner.