Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
No player character but have you tried Songs of Syx? It's a bog standard no-magic fantasy setting but it's a pretty sweet city/empire builder with different races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

We had started Last of Us a while back and bounced off it. I can appreciate what its doing but we just couldn't handle how loving miserably depressing the game was. It's hard for us to ever be in the mood for a game that basically just wants to repeat "gently caress you, life sucks."

Probably scratch Witcher 3 off the list then

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yes definitely, you get lots of choices to make, most of which lead to either the Very Bad Outcome or the Even Worse Outcome.

I don't mean to poo poo on what was obviously a magnificent and unparalleled game, its theme of "no matter how hard you try to help, life is still going to be horrible for almost everyone" is certainly realistic. It's just that it's maybe too realistic if your actual everyday life is already teaching you that theme and you want to play video games to get away from it for a couple hours.

Obviously that doesn't mean it should be equated to Last Of Us which is on a whole different level.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

kaschei posted:

A friend of mine is looking for a game:
- fantasy, premodern, or at least rustic theme
- build a village, or maybe a few cities - able to control the layout
- not principally a war game
- looks good, or cute, or both

I suggested the Skyrim creation kit but apparently some kind of gameplay should be involved.

Wants less detail than Cities: Skylines but control over more stuff than e.g. Stardew Valley.

Seconding that the Anno games on the lowest difficulty are pretty chill city builder/logistics games and even 1404 looks nice. But they're RTS games at heart.

As suggested you can change the settings on Songs of Syx to pretty much ignore war if you want.

Or hell, just play Simcity 4 with the NAM on extreme settings so they don't have to worry about traffic mangement.

Or if they can deal with a clunky ancient interface, Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom and Caesar III are super interesting city builder games with a lot of charm in their isometric graphics.

tuyop posted:

Can anyone recommend a coop survival/crafting game that’ll run on a(n) Intel MacBook Pro with integrated graphics (2020 Intel iris plus if it matters)?

We love Project Zomboid and 7 Days to Die, but both of those are pretty tapped out for us. Zombie isn’t a big deal, it’s the survival and crafting and RPG elements that are compelling. I thought Raft sounded perfect, for instance, but Windows only.

PS4 is also a potential platform if there are more options there.

I assume you're already aware of Terraria?

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 11, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

For #3 I would recommend giving Songs of Syx a try if 1995 level graphics aren't a deal breaker. The free demo is just the full game from a couple versions ago. It's medieval/fantasy not modern but has a lot of interesting systems and scratched the SimCity itch a lot better than Rimworld and its ilk for me.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Should probably make him aware that you don't get to keep your cities for long in AtS though. It's not really a simcity type of game.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Against the Storm seems good from the twenty minutes I played but I should have done any research at all before slam buying it because I heard "RTS is back baby!!" and thought I was getting the next C&C or Warcraft and oops this is a settler game.

Edit: Ok to make myself sound less like an idiot I watched the Steam add before I bought it, I had just spent the preceding however many weeks or months thinking it was a different kind of game.

You buy games without watching a couple LP videos of them first??

AtS is a game that either won't click with you in the first hour and you can safely just refund it, or will click with you and you will become obsessed with it and it will dominate your life for weeks or months. There seems to be no in between, it does a very specific thing but does that specific thing disturbingly well.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Cicero posted:

There's a bajillion good indie games on Switch. I like a good roguelite like Nuclear Throne or Enter the Gungeon; Binding of Isaac, Dead Cells, and Slay the Spire are also popular in that area..

Is Rogue Legacy on the Switch? Highly recommend that if it is.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I don't know what his standards are for pretty pretty graphics but for someone new to the hobby my first thought is to point him to the classics. Witcher 3 is super obvious and comes with the pretty pretty graphics of course. Fallout New Vegas if he'd be into that is a fuckin' terrific RPG right out of the box, obviously there's a huge mod scene but you don't need mods to have fun with it. Disco Elysium would certainly keep him busy a while. Octopath Traveler is on Steam if he really wants the JRPG experience.

If he's going to get something for PC he should probably do it in the next 2 days before the winter sale ends!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Chamale posted:

Civilization V shows a timelapse of the map after a game.

I'm pretty sure all the Civ games all the way back to the original do this

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Dwarf Fortress adventurer mode is very much that if you can stand the jank.

And yeah I think OP meant where you can like roam a 3D world but the Paradox grand strategy games are such that you can just do your own things and watch what crazy poo poo the rest of the world gets up to. You can play a Civ game in the style of Sullla's "AI survivor" (use map editor to wall in your own civ and just see what the AIs do, Civ 4 is definitely the best for this particular brand of idiosyncrasy).

I would also definitely recommend Kenshi (with cheat mods if you don't want to deal with the extreme difficulty/extreme grind).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I don't think the recently released Pharaoh remake has very onerous system requirements, you could check that out.

Otherwise if recent-ish is a requirement that's a tricky one. If it looking pretty isn't a requirement maybe Songs of Syx? If it is, maybe Foundation?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Evig Vandrar posted:

I'd like to build beautiful buildings. One of my favorite early gaming experiences was building houses in The Sims. Is there something similar I can use that's not Minecraft or a professional 3D rendering tool that I'd have to buy a new laptop for and then study for months?

Honestly The Sims 4 is still the best game in existence for the house building/interior decorating itch. Actually Sims 3 might still be better if you can stand the obscene loading times.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

No Man's Sky is extremely pretty. That doesn't make it good, though. Just pretty.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

And also you only get to actually enjoy the prettiness once in a while because 85% of your playtime is inventory management

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 25, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Valheim with the Epic Loot mod, if it's still a thing (I haven't played Valheim in a couple years now)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Chamale posted:

I'm looking for a game where the NPCs are capable of building and doing interesting things independently, so I can leave some place for a while and then come back and see how it's developed. In games like The Sims, I always find that they're too passive when the player isn't directly interfering. Does anything fit the bill? Rimworld, maybe?

I would love to play this game too, but it doesn't exist.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Pierzak posted:

I assume DRG is Deep Rock Galactic, but what's ONI?

Oxygen Not Included

Also "Dwarf Fortress is too many pawns" is an odd criticism, you can easily set a maximum population cap in the raws and play a microfort if that's your style. But DF is the kind of game that you either fall in love with or you don't.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Terraria?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Have you played Mother 3?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Disco Elysium goes on sale for $10 all the time. Pretty sure it's on sale now with the GOG summer sale.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There's a java shader pack that kind of simulates raytracing in a dollar store way--nowhere near the real deal but still extremely impressive relative to everything that isn't raytracing. I think it's a version of SEUS. My computer can't quite handle it, it runs around 20-25 FPS.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Reo posted:

I really need a fun, single-player time waster. I have a lot of spare brain cycles while I monitor readouts, wait for alarms or processes to finish, sit on conference calls where I never speak, or listen to podcasts. I love games where the physics feel responsive, the controls are simple but satisfying to master, and that encourage playing over and over. Because I'm always playing on mute, sound can't be required, so no rhythm games or the like.

Here's a list of some stuff I've played and enjoyed that worked for this purpose, but I've gotten tired of:

-Rocket League. This has by far the most hours (an obscene amount) I've ever spent on a video game because of this use case. However, with the toxic community and the influx of bots, I had to leave the game behind.
-Dead Cells. A fully amazing game that I still go back to once in a while, but I now get bored of pretty quickly because I've done it all.
-Hades. See Dead Cells.
-Deep Rock Galactic
-Skate 3
-X-com 2
-Desperados 3

Unfortunately, I don't usually care for mining / farming / crafting games like Minecraft or Stardew Valley.

Thanks!

Rogue Legacy 2?

e: if you've never played it you can get Rogue Legacy 1 for cheap and try it out, RL2 is the same thing just more of it and nicer graphics.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Manager Hoyden posted:

I'm looking for a game with a lot of emphasis on character builds and a lot of clever compound equipment/skill effects. Basically Diablo but I'm already playing too much Diablo.

I'm addicted to switching up skills and changing out equipment to either trigger a cool combination or just eke out a little more effectiveness. But not another overhead arpg, which is where this type of gameplay lives as far as I can see. Also the Souls games and soulslikes might fall into the description, but again I've played them to death.

Not at all the kind of game you're strictly talking about but have you ever played Noita? There's no characterbuilding but your wandbuilding is awesome and has all kinds of crazy combinations.

Also way back in the retro world there's FF5. "Clever compound equipment/skill effects" is exactly why it's still the basis of four job fiestas 30 years later

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The old Civilization games are my go-to for that particular use case. Mostly 4 but even 2 is still pretty fun and opens/closes instantaneously, much less alt+tabbing.

The sports management sims, Football Manager and Out of the Park Baseball, are also real good for that if you care about sports at all. They run super slow on substandard hardware though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

We're going a long way back here and maybe into a genre not of interest to you, but believe it or not, EarthBound was designed to be completely playable with your left hand only.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There's one major problem though, you have to reach over to R to ring the bicycle bell, without which the game is literally unplayable

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You could give Urbek a look. It presents like a city builder but is really a puzzle game and won't tax your computer.

Could also look into Terra Nil or Against the Storm, they're all the rage in the management games thread.

Battle Brothers is all about combat but it's pausable on the overworld and purely turn based combat so you can easily drop it and pick it up at your leisure. Might be too Fantasy for your taste though.

There's Rimworld and its eight million mods, of course.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ah so Fallout New Vegas

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I do appreciate how seemingly no matter what kind of recommendations are asked for, someone will always suggest Subnautica.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If you just want to build a cool character and grab loot: Dungeonmans

If you have any interest in turn based tactics gameplay alongside doing mad builds: Battle Brothers

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Farthest Frontier.

Another weird option would be Simcity 4 with the agricultural overhaul mods.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Cicero posted:

Rune Factory (action JRPGextremely anime Harvest Moon)

If you like farming and and like anime, you'll love Rune Factory. Might require more dungeon delving than you're looking for though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Star Citizen is going to implement space trucking with so much verisimilitude it will blow your mind in approximately 2039.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Goobish posted:

Any games like Rimworld that are worth playing? I thought maybe dwarf fortress would be similar but it didn't seem to click for me when I tried it.

gotta be a touch more specific as to what you liked about Rimworld. Rimworldlikes are an entire genre at this point

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

i3lueHorneT posted:

Titles to just vibe to? Looking to listen to podcasts & audiobooks to some games with a chill gameplay loop. Used to do this with a motocross game a minute back.

Truck Simulator

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Malt posted:

I really enjoy games where there is a lot of "game" going on, but I'm taking a back seat to the action. Especially games that require more effort at the start and then become more automated/easier later on through skill trees, town building, upgrades of some sort. Some examples..

Vampire Survivors and all the clones - I'm not having to aim, tons of upgrades and unlocks.
Stardew Valley/Nova Lands - Early on there is a lot to do, but as time goes on it becomes easier through upgrades and unlocks.
Facterio, Dyson Sphere, Satisfactory - Whole game is about automation
Majesty Series - Building a town while the heroes do the work.
Mini Metro/Mini Motorways - Small amount of clicks but mostly watching it play out, at least the way I play.
Idle Games - Probably have played and enjoyed most. Too many to list.

What other games have that type of feel where I may not do much for a few minutes while the game does its thing?

Every Paradox game ever?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

SimEarth was all about the Gaia Theory but then the only way to get robots was to have a big nuclear war. And who wouldn't want to welcome our robot overlords?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If you can deal with the jank, the game you are describing is Kenshi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The jank and the grinding were a bit much for me, but Kenshi is nearly unique in featuring a big, populated, open world that does not give a poo poo about you whatsoever. There is no Main Quest. There is no Final Boss. You are in absolutely no way The Protagonist.