Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm looking for a game like Warship Gunner 2. I guess really what this means is: I want a game where I can spend an hour in the designer mode picking the perfect loadout for my ship (or plane or mech or whatever), go out, do some missions, get some schematics, and spend another hour in the designer mode. WG2 was just amazingly great for that because it had like a thousand different components, a bunch of different hulls to put those components into, and a big ol' unlocking system for getting access to new components and hulls to play with. Plus it spanned tech from around 1930s into bizarro futuretech, which is always a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Armored Core, Mechwarrior

I was hoping for a singleplayer game I could play on my desktop. All of these seem to be for specific consoles (my newest consoles are a Wii and a DS), too old, or online-only. :negative:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Okay, let me amend: for an era whose graphics have for the most part aged poorly. I have a lot of trouble replaying most PSX-era games, and even some PS2-era games. But if there were an SNES game that had this kind of gameplay I could play it no problem.

I mean, if there were more modern takes on the genre then that's all to the good, but mostly it's a clarity issue. Low-res 3D often ends up muddy and does my aging eyeballs no favors.

dis astranagant posted:

Starsector, Warzone 2100, Maybe Robot Arena 2 or 3 (super spergy battlebots/robot wars simulator),

Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries is single player and has a free release from several years ago. The PSX and PS2 Armored Core games all emulate well.

The other half dozen games in the Kurogane no Houkou series. Warship Gunner and Warship Commander 2 are in english on the PS2, the rest are in Japanese on various platforms including PC.

Thanks for the recs, I'll have to check them out. I don't suppose by any chance you know if there's translation patches for the Japanese-only games?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Borderlands is kind of in the same genre and lets you respec (at least, starting with 2; I didn't play the first game). But character builds are pretty boring in those games since the vast majority of skills are "+3% to thing you can do".

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

So, you're asking if there are any other metroidvanias? How about Symphony of the Night for one of the founding pillars of the genre, or Hollow Knight for the most celebrated and latest addition.

This read more as "I want a game with a bunch of obscure puzzle-solving", in which case La-Mulana seems a better bet. It also has a bonus postgame dungeon that's a) unnecessarily difficult, and b) hidden behind a bunch of even more obscure puzzles.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

EclecticTastes posted:

I'm looking for a specific kind of RPG. It needs to be party-based, with the player creating the entire party (the more options, the better, within reason), and a focus on dungeon crawling (either first-person or isometric will work). However, it also needs some sort of overworld, it can't be one of those dungeon crawlers where you just trudge through one long dungeon (like Etrian Odyssey). Bonus points if it has variable dialog based on choices made during character creation. Basically, I want a game where I can create the party, and then sort of invent personalities for them and imagine the party chatter as I go through the game. Here are some examples of games that fit the bill that I've already played:

You might check out the Avernum series. Avernums 2 and 3 add a couple more options during chargen (two additional races you can play as).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
This is kind of a long shot, but you might check out Nongunz. It's a very...strange game, and I haven't made it all that far, but if you want mysterious it has you covered. I don't know so much about the "finding a secret leading to a completely disconnected/strange part of the game", but there is a screen where you can pilot a humanoid blob about a small, colorful apartment (while the rest of the game is a mostly-monochrome 2D run&gun). All I've figured out how to do from the apartment is quit the game. :shrug:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Stanfield posted:

I used to love playing the Knytt games years ago and was wondering if there's any similar chill platformers that are mainly focused on exploring Like a Metroidvania without the combat I guess? I loved Celeste and it's kinda what i'm looking for aesthetically, and I enjoyed looking for the collectables, but the platforming itself was too hard to be relaxing.

If you haven't played Knytt Underground, that'd be the first thing to check out of course. And there's a bunch of fanmade content for Knytt Stories.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Voidspire Tactics is 100% about using abilities to interact with the environment outside of combat.

Along those lines are Lufia 2 and Alundra. Alundra's a pretty straight Zelda clone, while Lufia 2 is like using Zelda items but having JRPG battles.

But I'm guessing that's probably not what Cheshire meant by non-combat skills and abilities.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
You might look into Prey. It basically slightly misses every single one of your criteria. :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Any adventure game? Pick up a Zork and go to town.

If you're going to play interactive fiction, the genre's still alive and well and there are a lot of high-quality puzzly entries these days that, unlike Zork, benefit from 30 years' worth of improvements in understanding the genre. I recommend Spider and Web, Counterfeit Monkey, and Lost Pig.

EDIT: have a top 50 list

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 6, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Simiain posted:

Specific but also vague request and kinda ridiculous request here, so I have no huge expectations but I'm definitely curious if there's anything I dont know about out there.

We suffered a (relatively) big windstorm up here in Ontario, tree's toppling over and such, and it made me wonder if there is a game where the weather is a tangible element in the game-play and atmosphere of a game. Mostly I enjoy the contrast between steel grey/green storms with howling winds and lashing rain and the remarkable peace of the immediate aftermath, sunshine and scudding clouds atop the storm-damaged wrecks.

I'll recommend Ori and the Blind Forest here. It's not exactly weather, but it will definitely give you a feel for the awesome and terrible power of nature.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Backhand posted:

Anything good out there for games where you upgrade your army?

I'm not looking for hero-based games with distinct squad members in a pseudo-RPG style, like Dawn of War 2.... but you know Global Conquest mode in Command and Conquer 3, where you could build / upgrade custom strike forces on the strategic layer and then take them into tactical battles? Or Raynor's campaign in Starcraft 2, where missions and bonus objectives rewarded you with money you could use between missions to buy permanent upgrades for your units? I really enjoy that feeling of investing in my army and seeing that investment pay off in concrete ways.

Would XCOM fit the bill here? Troops gain experience to learn new skills, and you can research and equip better gear to them. You're dealing with squads, not armies, though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I should try Card City Nights 2 at some point.

I've played it, it's pretty good fun. It's a vast improvement over the first game, certainly; having both players on the same board does wonders for improving interactivity. You're not going to find the levels of depth and fine-tuning that you'd get from a game that was designed from the ground up for competitive play (it has PVP but I gather it's a little degenerate), but as a singleplayer experience I definitely got my money's worth.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Radio Free Kobold posted:

i want a game where i can design and build my own spaceship(s) that shoot at other spaceships. something like space engineers but not dead.

Check out Reassembly. It's sort of a build-your-own anthive simulator, except the ants are spaceships. You can piece together ships out of basic building blocks, test them under AI control against other similar-cost ships, then take them in-game. If you stick a factory on a ship then it can build more ships itself using the resources it accumulates, otherwise you take resources back to stations so they can build ships.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Seconding that Deus Ex holds up well; I played it for the first time in, like, 2014 and enjoyed it plenty, which is surprising considering I bounce off a lot of 3D games from that era for being too janky.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I bet your laptop can run Civilization 4 just fine.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'd go with Mario Kart in time trial mode, easy settings, first track. No other karts, no items, no real obstacles to speak of.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
You might also take a look at Card City Nights 2. It's a buy-once game; while it nominally has a multiplayer mode most of the fun (for me anyway) is in the singleplayer story mode.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Funktor posted:

The Sega Saturn classic Guardian Heroes. It should be available as a download on XBox Arcade.

Along similar lines, Shadow over Mystara is a D&D beat-em-up originally released in actual arcades and now available in a bunch of online shops.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Check out Evoland 2. It's a genre mashup game (literally, like, there's overhead Zelda, 2D platformer, turn-based strategy, top-down shooter, street fighter segment, etc.) but the majority of gameplay is the Zelda view and it's more of an RPG than anything else. It's a pretty fun little romp, and while it has its serious moments it keeps things light most of the time.

For that matter, if you haven't played Ittle Dew or Ittle Dew 2, they're both worth checking out. The first is basically a big series of Zelda-style block puzzles (except actually good and requiring substantial thought), while the second is a lot more action-oriented. If the puzzles don't sound like your kind of thing, you won't be missing anything of importance plotwise if you skip the first. But it's short and IIRC the really tricky puzzles are reserved for people trying to skip nominally-required items. Both have really goofy writing.

Uhh...let's see. Sam & Max Season 3 is good. Classic adventure game, reasonably polished. I don't know that I'd call it cheerful necessarily, but it's pretty funny.

Yeah, that's all I got.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Gravy Jones posted:

Tales and Nino already mentioned. Grandia I and II (haven't played any of the later ones but they may be similar), Breath of Fire III and Skies of Arcadia come to mind. All of them are pretty old so will probably have quality of life issues, but then again so is Eternal Sonata (PS2? I remember liking it, but never finished) so that may not be a problem.

I played Grandia III, and it was pretty clearly rushed to release. It's not terrible, but it feels pretty disjointed, like a lot of content got cut. I also found the characters to be less distinct and fleshed-out than in II. Basically it's pretty forgettable.

But hey, while we're on the topic of game recommendations, has any more modern game imitated the Grandia combat engine? It's a realtime-with-pause system taking place in an open 2D arena. Every combatant has a position on a time bar that looks something like this:
code:
|-------------------|---------------->
WAIT              DECIDE    CHARGE   ACT
They start in WAIT, and gradually gain IP (initiative points) until they get to DECIDE, at which point they choose an action and target (or you choose, for PCs). Then they progress to ACT, with the rate of progression depending on the chosen action. For example, a standard Attack action happens nearly instantaneously, though the combatant still has to run up to their target and swing at them in realtime. Using items from the inventory is also pretty quick. Spells and techniques take longer to charge (though part of character progression is choosing spells/techs to improve, which reduces their charge time). The Defend action happens instantaneously, so if there's a monster winding up to smash your PC's face in, you can still sneak in a block. When you're at DECIDE, you can look at all the combatants that are in CHARGE and see what their chosen action is and who they're planning to do it to, but you have to gauge how long it'll take before that action takes effect, which make include walking and animations.

There's also attacks that have a "Cancel" ability which knocks combatants out of CHARGE and back into WAIT, so at least in Grandia II (which is a pretty easy game), much of the fun of the combat is trying to line things up so that your enemies never get to hurt you.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thanks, will check it out.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

That’s actually exactly the same system that Child of Light uses!

Gravy Jones posted:

FWIW Child of Light is currently 66% off at Humble. And yeah, it's a little on the slight side compared to most JRPGs (not always a bad thing), but definitely fits the bill.

I looked at the trailers and some gameplay videos, and while it does look like a cool game, one of the important things that is missing compared to the Grandia approach is that a lot of combat actions take place in real time. When one of my PCs gets to the DECIDE point, there may be enemies running around on the battlefield, other PCs in the middle of attack animations, etc. When a spell or tech hits ACT, it takes place immediately, but everything else takes some additional time because of movement and attack animations. I really liked the judgement calls of "can I get this spell off before that monster finishes running up to my buddy to whack her in the face?" or "can I run up to that monster charging that spell and whack it in the face before the spell goes off?" Plus there's things like "which AoE spell do I use to hit as many enemies as possible, considering that some of them are moving around?" and "man, my party is really clustered, maybe I should move this character away from the others so we don't all get zapped if the enemy uses an AoE."

And it's always nice to have a PC's turn come up when a monster is just a few frames away from completing their attack animation on the PC. Not only do you get a nice dramatic pause screen, but there's the satisfaction of making the monster whiff as you reposition the PC, or having the PC defend just in time.

Child of Light looks like it still has some judgement calls of "will this spell charge faster than this other spell", but without the 2D positioning and realtime playout of actions I don't think it'll scratch the same itch.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

WaltherFeng posted:

This might be a weird question but are there any survival horror games with puzzle solving / item management but the actual combat is resolved in RPG style battles? For example you find 10 handgun bullets and you have to decide if you are gonna kill the enemy in a turn based encounter.

Does not need to be horror, just the resource management part of it.

This vaguely reminds me of Sweet Home. I've never played it, only watched bits and pieces, but it's a horror game with light puzzles and RPG combat...on the NES.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Nuclear Throne, 20XX, Synthetik.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Have you tried Magicka? I'm pretty sure it has couch co-op support.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Did it restore the credits cutscene that was cut from the Wii HD release? I was bitter about that. It's not a big deal but I liked it in the PS2 version.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Can confirm, 1 has lategame enemies that can one-shot you unless you specifically designed your build with them in mind.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Lol if you think you'll finish DD any time soon assuming you play the post game endgame at all

Honestly one of the reasons I don't play half the unplayed games on my list is because I have a feeling they'll all take like 40+ hours to play through. I wish more games were completable in under 10 hours. Sure, have a postgame or hard mode or whatever, but have the basic experience be designed to be doable in a relatively short time period. There's so many games these days it feels almost greedy to design your game to require such a huge chunk of leisure time.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It is an article by John Walker. That man ignores literally any context in order to prove their point, and gets hung up on the silliest poo poo.

Is there a context that you think makes the quoted bits acceptable? They sound pretty damning to me.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
If I recall correctly, the Quicktime dependency is just for the gambling thing at the bar (it plays a video). It's been years though so I could be wrong.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
If you haven't played Universal Paperclips, it's good for a day or two. It's a clicker, but has an end.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

pun pundit posted:

How is this different from any early access game on steam?

As I understand it, the game is basically about crunch time in game development. So it's different because it's meta.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Seconding the Antichamber recommendation. It's a very different kind of game from Myst in many ways, but it's really quite good.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! for the Awesome (skydiving/BASE jumping game)
Bejeweled 3 (match-3 puzzler)
Crypt of the NecroDancer (rhythm game roguelike)
NightSky (chill marble/physics puzzle game)
Race the Sun (infinite runner)
Sky Rogue (arcadey air combat)

Those are all pretty simple games to get into/understand. I'd say NightSky is the least accessible of the lot, in that you need to do fairly specific things with pretty tight timing/control in order to progress.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Blast of Confetti posted:

I've been less in the mood to play big commitment open world action adventure games that seems to be the norm and I'm getting more in to roguelikes. What stands out in the genre?

fwiw I like Dream Quest and FTL more than Dungeons of Dredmor or TOME4. The later just throws too much equipment and stats at you and my eyes glaze over because it all becomes samey to me.

Crypt of the NecroDancer is probably the ne plus ultra of streamlined roguelikes. I'm honestly surprised that Tuxedo Catfish didn't mention it, but perhaps they're biased against realtime (or, well, rhythm-based) games.

On the roguelite side of things, which is to say short procgen games that aren't necessarily RPG dungeon-crawlers, there's:
  • Nuclear Throne: a nonstop haze of post-apocalyptic violence.
  • Cryptark: a twin-stick shooter about piloting a mech through ancient derelict alien ships.
  • Catacomb Kids: basically NetHack if it were a 2D platformer. Except that the mechanics aren't as obtuse nor do you have to know the obscure tricks to succeed.
  • Teleglitch: top-down survival horror (zombie-infested sci-fi facility style). The low-fi graphics are a minus IMO, mostly in that they make it hard to differentiate the basic melee enemies from the guards with guns that will kill you dead in no time flat. But once you get that sorted out, it's very well-designed and has the only crafting system in a game that I've ever actually enjoyed.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

TorakFade posted:

No stats at all beyond your own skills (0-100%) and stats

I'm sure you meant something by this, but it reads like a self-contradicting statement.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Spiderweb Software does oldschool CRPGs in a similar vein. They use a top-down / isometric perspective rather than first-person, but they're open-world town-and-dungeon games composed primarily of exploration and sidequests that gradually give you the experience, gear, and clues you need to solve the main quests. If this sounds like your bag, then I'd suggest starting with Avernum: Escape from the Pit, which is a remake of a remake of their first game. Which, in fairness, came out more than 20 years ago. The remakes rewrite and flesh out basically the entire game, as well as redo the mechanics, so it's not like you're looking at 90's jank here.

That said, their games are really light on puzzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Maybe not along the lines of what you're looking for, but Worms Armageddon is IMO a great shoot-the-poo poo/party game.