Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Looking for an RTS game with good air units. There's just something extremely satisfying about pointing your units at a target and watching the destruction of their plodding armies, or dismantling the enemy with surgical strikes - C&C: Generals was pretty good about this, sadly the later games in that series dialed it back. Supreme Commander is obviously great but I know it backwards by now. Never managed to get into Wargame.

Anything else like this out there? I prefer games that let me use whatever feels cool as opposed to relying on hard counters for units (i.e. Starcraft 2 is out).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Samopsa posted:

oh this too! I imagine OP has already played TA, but anyways: TA is awesome, cheap, and even the base game is still great to play. SupCom is cool but TA is more fun imo.

There are ton of TA mods and even sourceports / heavily inspired by TA games like Zero-K and Spring.
Yeah, I've played a lot of TA when I was younger. That Zero-K thing sure looks interesting, though...
Anyway, thanks for the recs everyone!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

papasyhotcakes posted:

Hey I saw there is an Stardock sale going on on Steam. Is there any game you guys would recommend? I like RTS and heard the first Endless Space is good but I havent really keeped up with how Endless Space 2 or Ashes of the Singularity did
Ashes of the Singularity is boring to the max and I'm saying that as a perpetually RTS-starved person.
Endless Space 2 is pretty good but it's a turn-based 4X game, not an RTS.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

srulz posted:

Just finished Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.

Initially I totally can't get into it, because people kept on comparing it to Hollow Knight and holy poo poo it's not even close, especially the combat part is way too light & floaty. But little by little I actually am able to actually enjoy the game. And the game's abilities actually ramp up so fast, like by endgame you're so goddamn different from when you've started.

Funnily enough, 1 of the most enjoyable parts of the game for me personally is the food preparing part. For those who don't know, food in this game is not purely healing/mana items, but also grants you a permanent bonus the 1st time you use one. So I'm happily scouring the world searching for recipes & ingredients and such, especially with such good automap. The fact that RNG drops feel fair, and you can actually get whatever you're farming for in a short time with high enough Luck skill feels good as well.

So any other games like that? Bear in mind that I can't actually get into MHW even with trying all weapons and such. I just really need a good story and such to tie it all together, not just pure grinding all the time.
If you're in for more Metroidvania with cooking, get Aquaria. No permanent buffs, though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

khy posted:

Just out of curiosity, I was reading a story recently which involved a race of insects kind of swarming and devouring entire continents at a time. Felt super Zerg-like. Kinda put me in the mood to play a game with a faction similar to Zerg or other 'all-consuming all-devouring' type faction. Wondering what options are available? I know of Starcraft, of course, and Grey Goo, but not sure what else there is besides those two...
If you don't mind it being a turn-based 4X, Endless Legend has a faction just for you.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

PMush Perfect posted:

I enjoyed the mapping and slightly obtuse puzzles and exploration of La Mulana, but the bosses were hard enough that I just couldn't work up the oomph to push through and get back to the parts of the game I enjoyed. Is there anything else that might scratch that itch?
La Mulana 2 is a lot easier. There's still a couple of dickish bosses, but they turned the difficulty down with patches.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of - is there a game similar to OpenTTD without the focus on train mechanics? Just building a varied and pretty transport system to connect town and paint the map your color?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

srulz posted:

I guess I have to start as Strider? So when exactly do I dual wield stuff? Seems like I'm pretty much a full-time archer.
Striders get dual daggers in addition to the bow and you can eventually classchange into Assassin which uses daggers primarily or Magick Archer who uses them for melee spells. Every class (except for Warrior, I guess) switches between two weapons - with assassins, it's daggers/sword.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 27, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There is a 4th Ed ADnD game, Sword Coast Legends. No idea how good it is, though.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jan 10, 2021

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Boz0r posted:

Are there any modern games like Dungeon Master?
Legend of Grimrock 1 and 2?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
For something smaller, maybe try Masquerada: Songs and Shadows? It's bite-sized for an RPG and streamlines a lot of mechanics but I found it thoroughly enjoyable.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 16, 2021

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

How do I not bounce off of E.Y.E.? I've tried maybe 3 times and it is just so obtuse. It absolutely seems like the kind of game just loaded to the gills with trap skill picks and potential to end up horrificly underpowered.
Don't try to understand or metagame it. "Not being underpowered" takes a stupid amount of grinding; constant panic is a natural state when playing EYE.
e: Magic is poo poo, stick to guns.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Looking for suggestions for some Real time strategy games. My buddy would like to get back into them and last ones played often were Starcraft and Warcraft
Last ones I played were.....Dawn Of War 1 + all the expansions and 2 I believe. Ashes of the singularity might be the newest one I've messed with. Various Total Wars, C&C games.

What are some good RTS games these days? We'd likely play mainly against each other. We have a leaning toward scifi and fantasy
Have you tried Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak? It's way better than a spinoff like that has any right to be.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

WTFBEES posted:

Does anyone know of a game like Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II's Last Stand mode? That poo poo ruled and 10+ years later I've never seen anything else like it.

Specific things that were rad about Last Stand:
  • Co-op
  • Horde mode
  • RTS-like interface
  • No base building
  • No resource management
  • No army management
  • Essentially nothing else about the RTS genre but the interface
  • Meta progression / unlocks / leveling up
Thanks.
Isn't that basically the whole hack'n'slash action-RPG subgenre? Y'know, Diablo and stuff?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

I vaguely remember a game that was on Steam that had like faux-8-bit graphics and it had like NPCs that you'd need to manage that would congregate around a fire, and I think there was the implication that if their psychological state was bad enough, they might commit suicide.
That sounds like Gods Will Be Watching. An interesting game, to be sure, just not very friendly to the player.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Aquaria definitely scratches that exploration itch. It's older and a bit basic, though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think one of the best games that's exclusive to the Switch (or Wii-U if you have one of those) is the Wonderful 101, it's an action game where you play as a team of heroes who form shapes to fight with a little like Okami, and it is just an amazing experience. There's bright colors, ridiculous anime sequences, and a full orchestral score along with a theme song with lyrics that plays when the action swells. If you're uncomfortable trying another Platinum game, there's a a demo to try it out. It's really worth a try.
It's on PC now as well. No idea about the port quality, though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

It's that time again where I come around looking for game recommendations. SA's GOTY 2021 FFXIV Endwalker has been sucking up all my time but I'm finally settling into a post expansion routine and am looking for something else to play around with.

I've brought this up before, but I feel like your classic hack-n-slash RPGs aren't really that popular anymore, and that sucks. I want something where I can just roam around and fight stuff with swords and magic. Witcher 3, naturally, is one of my favorite games of all time. I know it is bad, but I also loved Kingdoms of Amalur, just because the combat was fun and mindless. I do not like Dynasty Warriors-style games.

Diablo 3 is fun enough, but I prefer more behind-the-back/over-the-shoulder style gameplay more than isometric.

I didn't like Hades as much as I wish I did. It's a good game, but just didn't have enough variety for me.

Despite really liking Code Vein, I don't like Souls games because they give me intense anxiety. And I'm just looking for some "push button, swing sword, kill goblin" action.

I mean, gently caress man, at this point, I wish another Dragon Age game was out, even though only one of the three was actually any good.

I'm looking for anything on either PC or Switch.
Have you played Dragon's Dogma?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I'm looking for an RPG with deep mechanical systems to sink my teeth into. Something genuinely a little obtuse with lots of character advancement and build customization options, preferably something that requires more than just hitting the Water Enemy with Lightning Attacks or w/e. I love Job systems, especially if they let you get clever with it and do some gamebreaky stuff. I've played what I think most people would say are the big ones (various FFs, Bravely, Octopath) and found them fine but they just didn't quite have the depth I was craving - or they were so grindy that the fun felt locked behind hours and hours of tedium. Optimally this hypothetical imaginary game would also be fairly challenging to make the whole Deep Mechanical Systems stuff worthwhile. One reason I bounced off Disgaea was everything felt like a cakewalk or a level gate. I know all of my examples are JRPGs or Tactics RPGs but that's not a hard requirement or anything, they just seem most likely to have this sorta thing.

Weirdly the closest game in *vibe* I'm kinda craving is God Hand, something about how the moment-to-moment gameplay is always asking you to improve really appeals. don't suppose anyone knows of a magical god hand inspired ludicrously complicated final fantasy tactics clone with a sort of morrowind idealism wrt player agency?
Well, if ridiculously overcomplicated is your thing, I hear Troubleshooter has that in spades.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

grate deceiver posted:

I liked The Council - it's an rpg-ish (there's stats and skill checks, so you won't do everything possible in one run) adventure with slightly branching storyline. It does get a bit weak in the last act, but it's deece enough
This is worth experiencing just for how incredibly stupid the story gets.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

Looking for a PS4 or Switch game with a good story.

My wife loves watching me play games that almost have a cinematic-style of storytelling. Examples - Uncharted, Yakuza, God of War (2018 and Ragnarok).

So yeah, any recs of something in that vein? Some cinematic storytelling and decent gameplay?
Maybe the two Plague Tale games? "Cinematic" is definitely a word I'd use to describe them.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cantorsdust posted:

If you find yourself really liking it, Torment: Tides of Numenera is its spiritual sequel with mostly positive reviews although it didn't make the same splash as its predecessor.
Don't. The writing is awful, the game mechanics are sluggish and all the philosophy of PS:T is reduced to a series of increasingly stupid trolley problems. I'd only recommend if you enjoy the feeling of having your intelligence insulted by game writers. Repeatedly.

It didn't make a splash because the "spiritual sequel" label they advertised it with is utter bullshit.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The way I see it, the main difference between D:OS and Numenera is the intent. Divinity is fully aware of what kind of story it is (i.e. fantasy schlock) and isn't afraid to poke fun at itself (which misses more often than it hits but at least it's there). Numenera is a pretentious slog through a mixture of boredom and banality.

I wouldn't call the writing in either good, but I enjoyed D:OS 2 quite a bit while Numenera dialogue was just pure suffering.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

Not to yuck anyone's yum but every time I see someone say that Oblivion or Skyrim have good writing I physically cringe.
Yeah. Admittedly, there's not much you can do when your entire story is demons are evil and, in a shocking new twist, dragons are evil, respectively. Morrowind can fall back on the wealth of pre-Todd Howard TES lore and really digging into faction politics, but there's absolutely nothing interesting about the story or writing of Oblivion or Skyrim.

I'm gona confirm that Alpha Protocol is, indeed, really good at doing what it set out to do, and the original Deus Ex has some suprisingly relevant commentary for a game about conspiracy theories being real.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 3, 2022

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

can anyone recommend a souls-like that is 2D or can run on a mediocre laptop. I really enjoyed Morbid: The Seven Acolytes but I've played it to death, so anything similar would be awesome. Bonus if its got lots of loot, but that's not a requirement.
Salt and Sanctuary? Generally a lot of metroidvanias have started adopting soulslike mechanics.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Chrono Cross has one of the best soundtracks of all time. I dont recall how long to beat though
While the soundtrack is amazing, the game decidedly isn't. Lots of head-scratching design decisions in that one.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Have you tried Tyranny?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

err posted:

I was playing Desperados 3 and at the end of the level there is a map overview showing your movements around the map and which actions you took. Are there any other features similar to that in other games? Obvious answer is any sports or racing game with a replay feature.
Ace Combat 7.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anyone knows if it will be possible to get your unlocks from previous Hitman games into World of Assassination?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ultrafilter posted:

I'd recommend Ys VII or Memories of Celceta as starting points over Ys VIII. They're shorter games and they follow the formula of the series a little more closely. VIII and IX are attempts to break away from that formula and IMO VIII didn't quite land it.
I'd probably go for Felghana/Napishtim/Origin, to be honest. Not a fan of the party system they came up with for the next set.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hell no.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I know it's a pretty tight list of requirements, but I'm looking for a game that's:

Single-player
Low system requirements (like, laptop-level)
Suited for playing on KB+M instead of gamepad
Small install size
Ideally nothing turn-based

I've been playing a bunch of Vampire Survivors, so sadly that's already taken.
How about exploring the wonderful world of Doom (2) mods?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Prey is basically System Shock 3. Prey Play.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is it safe to buy the steam edition of Sinking City, or is that going to give money to assholes instead of Frogwares still?
Assholes. Not sure if it's ever going to change, to be honest. According to some posts, you should be able to get the Frogwares version via Epic, so maybe try that?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Fighting Elegy posted:

Whats a game I can play while I wait for Resident Evil 4 Remake? Since its supposed to be very faithful, it seems like playing the OG right before the remake would just make it more boring, and I replayed it only 2 years ago anyway.

Horror is 100% unimportant to me. I just want punchy, satisfying action that involves a bit of planning/strategy sometimes. I've played everything in the RE series, so no need to recommend one of those.
If you don't mind jank, Binary Domain goes for a very similar B-movie feel.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Shine posted:

The most powerful weapon is a wicker basket that you set on fire and carry around. You won't take damage and the basket won't burn up, but any enemy you bump into will be set on fire.
The most powerful weapon in Dark Messiah is your foot.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Haven't actually played 2 yet but I think it's essentially more of the same (I mean they've been making the same game for 20+ years so it's a safe bet, but you know)
2's endgame is somehow even more boring than 1's. But yeah, if you like Piranha Bytes' schtick, it's still fun.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

tildes posted:

Any games like Mr Sun’s Hatbox? Other than Spelunky and other really big similar ones. I really liked the straightforward 2D gameplay + the base building/people getting progression loop. In particular, stuff which is steam deck compatible.
Rogue Legacy 2 might fit the bill. Most of the gameplay variety comes from mastering the different classes.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Have you played Yakuza: Like a Dragon? That's a pretty unconventional setting for a JRPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

BigRed0427 posted:

Humm, I've tried to play the Infinity engine games and Pillars of Eternity, but I keep bouncing off the combat. I kind of chalk it up to simply not growing up with it. I mostly played Turn based Jrpgs when I was younger and couldn't really handle the part based real time combat.
You should absolutely try one of the Pathfinder games; they can be set to a very good turn-based combat.
Divinity: Original Sin 2 is is an absolutely fantastic game with the best turn-based combat I've ever seen in an RPG but I wouldn't really call its RPG system "crunchy".