Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

i'm going to play fallout 4 as a chilled out run around shooty game. are there any other good ones people can recommend? I'm not big on spooky games.

I guess as some reference i've recently played deathloop which was pretty fun, but didn't get hooked by dishonored. ut2k4 was good when i was younger but i don't think i can do twitch/super fast paced shooters anymore. I'm the guy that plays call of duties but only for the single player. maybe a deus ex? I played the first 2 but can never remember which of the newer ones people say are good.

or I'll go play sleeping dogs or xiii again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Shine posted:

Please immediately play theHunter: Call of the Wild. It's incredibly chill, like ridiculously so. Tracking an animal and making a clean shot taps into that same sense of satisfaction as pulling off a clean snipe in Hitman or Arma, except with no real consequence for missing beyond whatever annoyance you feel with yourself. Whatever, go find another deer. Man, these trees are loving pretty.

Don't let the amount of DLC put you off; the base game has many hours of content, and the DLC is basically "I'd like to mess around with niche weapons or new locales or have a dog" stuff that is neat, but not essential. I played the base game for a good 15 hours before I delved into the DLC.

I'll look into this.

Fallout 4 seems okay so far. I got the dialogue mod since I heard that's important, and someone mentioned a settlement attack mod or something. How do I take power armor off or use vats? I just got the power armor so maybe I don't get vats yet

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Dunno about the pick up and play aspect, but Sky Rogue has split screen multiplayer that works with Steam Remote Play Together.

Sky rogue is a lot of fun flying around blasting stuff until the boss level, like a lot of run based games

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

excited for the steam sale so i can get the chilled out hunting game that goon recommended.

might buy dead cells on pc since i don't play my switch anymore

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Shine posted:

Please immediately play theHunter: Call of the Wild. It's incredibly chill, like ridiculously so. Tracking an animal and making a clean shot taps into that same sense of satisfaction as pulling off a clean snipe in Hitman or Arma, except with no real consequence for missing beyond whatever annoyance you feel with yourself. Whatever, go find another deer. Man, these trees are loving pretty.

Don't let the amount of DLC put you off; the base game has many hours of content, and the DLC is basically "I'd like to mess around with niche weapons or new locales or have a dog" stuff that is neat, but not essential. I played the base game for a good 15 hours before I delved into the DLC.

weirdly enough looking into this there are 3 different bundles on sale (i saw a comment saying the atv dlc was worth it?) but they all have different bits that overlap :psyduck:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Shine posted:

this has been great and thanks for the rec but i haaaaaate trying to hunt coyotes.

Okay these goddamn ducks could shut up while I'm waiting for a deer

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 29, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

grate deceiver posted:

This one is a must. To this day there has not been another game that does branching story like it. It's jank, it's unfinished in places, but you absolutely have to try it. It might not seems much on just one playthrough, but if you play again and try to do the opposite of what you chose before, you'll see some crazy poo poo.

It's one of the few games that's a lot of fun to come back to.

That and sleeping dogs. I haven't played sleeping dogs for about a year, it's time.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Blasphemous was a really fun game. Extremely hard at points but very cool

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Banished? Build a village and watch your population yoyo like mad because of a housing crisis

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

BrianRx posted:

I played an EA version of a mech game last year that reminded me very much of MechWarrior that I am surprised has gotten no traction so far. Big robot, customizable loadouts, heat management system, fly/jump real far, good sense of scale. I don't have a VR system, but it's designed to simulate a person in a mech, so you move your view to look at rendered control surfaces and system information (as opposed to a HUD). I liked it, but I can't for the life of me find it now. I'll check back in when I do.

There's mech merc company that's trying to be mechwarrior but that might not be it

https://store.steampowered.com/app/984610/Mech_Merc_Company

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ut99, ut2k3 and ut2k4?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

magic cactus posted:

I've been playing a lot of Post Void and Star Wars Episode I podracer. I like the feeling of speed or flow or whatever these games give me, where if you click into a run and focus everything just happens so fast you barely have time to register it. I'm looking for more games where the feeling of speed is both the primary focus and done well mechanically (e.g. Podracer is a racing game so the speed there is built in, Post Void has incredibly forgiving enemy hitboxes so it doesn't require pinpoint accuracy when shooting.) I'm open to any genre, I honestly just wanna go fast. I was thinking Neon White, but from what I see watching playthroughs it feels more mechanically geared to a speedrunner mindset of like... micro optimizations or something and I'm not sure that's what I'm looking for exactly.

Any genre, PC preferred, extra points for small/indie titles. Thanks for any recommendations!

Distance is a driving game where you dodge some obstacles and have to do a bit of platforming at high speed. When you get a flow going on certain levels the game feels amazing. Can be frustrating if you keep dying though. Levels tend to be short, but there's a few "story" modes (only 1 car), a track generator, online stuff.

Maybe redout? It's like an fzero successor. I didn't like the camera angle in it but it's pretty drat fast.

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Dec 19, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

ninjewtsu posted:

i am going on a 3 week trip and my only form of personal entertainment will be my nintendo switch. i have almost never touched my nintendo switch. what are good games on the switch that are easy for me to pick up and drop down frequently as my adhd addled brain demands? also, i'm unlikely to have internet access good enough for online gaming.

games i've got:
-hollow knight
-oxenfree
-stardew valley
-triangle strategy
-breath of the wild
-mario odyssey

Yoku's island express is pretty fun as a pinball-metroid

Super mega baseball 3 if you're into baseball. You can quit and resume a game between pitches, it has a season and franchise mode if you want something long term, has separate 0-100 level customizable difficulty for each of pitching/fielding/hitting/running, and is a pretty drat good baseball game in general.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Shine posted:

Super Mega Baseball is fantastic. Granted the last baseball game I'd played was probably Frank Thomas Big Hurt Baseball for SNES, but SMB3 it basically the baseball game I'd always wanted to exist. It's the baseball version of a sim-lite racing game, where the intent is to capture the feel and strategy of the sport without actually simulating every detail as realistically as possible. It's fantastic. Also I appreciate it having a 1990s Japanese arcade game title as a sincere title in 2020.

I have all 3 of them and the improvements in each sequel were really good. The game is fun to play without ever being too crunchy. The only bit I didn't like about franchise mode was the offseason, but even that was manageable and I don't know how they'd improve on it.

Oh I also accidentally removed the blowfish from my game by customizing them to be a sunnyvale trailer park team. The modifications get saved for online and the blowfish were permanently gone. Can't copy/paste custom players to other teams at will either :(

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 26, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Chamale posted:

Darkest Dungeon on the Switch plays extremely well. Each expedition is about 20 minutes.

Dead cells is pretty good as well, and a heck of a lot less punishing

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

err posted:

Weird request but are there games that show a timelapse of your actions, like a replay back to you?

I was playing Desperados 3 and at the end of the level there is a map overview showing your movements around the map and which actions you took. Are there any other features similar to that in other games? Obvious answer is any sports or racing game with a replay feature.

Superhot did this sort of

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Rogue Legacy and its sequel show the path you took through the map, and your kills/major finds, but doesn't actually replay the game in the regular view.

Tangentially related: a bunch of old console emulators support recording your gamepad inputs into a "movie", which can be replayed to recreate the gameplay. This is the basis of most tool-assisted speedruns.

I have been extremely disappointed by rogue legacy 2

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

:shrug: To each their own. For me, it was an excellent game. If nothing else, compared to the original it greatly improved on run variety, and made it so that there was more than one viable class once you're in the late postgame.

The class variety is a great improvement, definitely agree with that. Can't really pin down exactly why but it doesn't click for me. If it scratches the itch for others that's great!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Waves of Steel came out last week* and is an action war game that takes place in the real world...kind of. It's doing alt-history and also has what can be best described as a loose relationship with reality.

* Disclaimer: I made it.

Every clip you posted of this is hilarious

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Which is better, rainbow six vegas or vegas 2 as a single player shooty experience?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Cantorsdust posted:

Sleeping Dogs? More GTA-like but good story and mechanics.

100% sleeping dogs. The combat is really fun melee often against multiple enemies with occasional guns. the story is a hard boiled undercover cop that's decent enough for what it is. the city feels great to explore. it'll probably be my game of the year 2023

looking assassin's creed odyssey I see there's a sale on steam so I go to the page and am presented with Standard, Deluxe, Gold, and Ultimate editions.

Steam very helpfully doesn't say what's included in each

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 5, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

John Murdoch posted:

If you scroll down the store page they have full explanations of what each edition includes.

I went looking on the steam page and couldn't find them :(

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

John Murdoch posted:

Dunno if something's getting blocked or if you're using Enhanced Steam and that gets rid of it for some reason or what. :shrug: Unless it's some dumb mobile thing? I can see it both in-client and in-browser.

Huh, yeah I think it went from the dlc list to the comment section or system requirements for me. Maybe it is getting blocked, or maybe I'm blind? I'm curious now

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

ZeusCannon posted:

The steamworld games were surprisingly good metoridvania

specifically the steamworld dig ones, since the steamworld games tend to jump genres!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

bloodstained: ritual of the night is a good metroid/exploration kind of game yeah? what's the combat like?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Have you played Symphony of the Night? It's the same deal. In other words, pretty basic platformer melee, with more of a focus on the wide variety of ways you can fight, rather than on any individual way being particularly polished. Most enemies die pretty quickly, and while bosses can be tricky, you can also just spam healing items to get through them.

haven't played either. i'm looking for exploration/metroidwhatever type games. just got through haak, played islets/hollow knight etc. I like the exploration and powering up side of things but can't really hack really tough combat like hollow knight/salt and sanctuary anymore.

I did really like blasphemous though and the combat in that one felt pretty tough

Maybe Alwa's legacy for like 4 quid?

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 2, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

cool, thanks for the suggestions. I'll give ori a try since it's cheap on gog and looks like it's a lot of focus on an interesting world to explore. Cool style is part of what I liked about blasphemous despite the difficulty.

I did play yoku's island express, it had so much charm.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Sway Grunt posted:

FWIW these two are in this Fanatical bundle at the moment so if you can find a third game in there you can get them super cheap.

nice one, I picked them up to have a go later, thank you

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Battletech

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Got it, love it. Unless you can recommend any particular mods?

Apparently bta and roguetech are the two big ones. I played a bit of bta and it was alright, roguetech sounded wayyyy too crunchy for me.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Isn't the doom style roguelike Jupiter hell? Or the original doomRL?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Osmosisch posted:

There's Etherlords and its sequel.
If you don't mind the Gwent system, there's Thronebreaker.

Etherlords was fun, but hitting the end of a campaign just as you get a good deck together was frustrating

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I would recommend: sleeping dogs

There's a big focus on melee combat and the environmental attacks are very brutal. The player character regularly breaks limbs and fights packs of dudes. Occasionally you get a gun (a few missions are very short based) but most of the fighting is melee.

The story is good, the fighting is good, the open world is a lot of fun and feels lived in. I suspect it'll get a few goty nods for 2023.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I would recommend sleeping dogs. There are a lot of fists that come at you, and it can be a bit of a fisty hell, where you have to properly counter the fists coming at you.

Occasionally there are guns, which you counter by shooting the source of the bullets

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Fighting Elegy posted:

drat played all of those. God Hand is an all timer for me. I've contemplated playing Resonance of Fate again, but how are the cutscenes?I

'm not a huge fan of Yakuza personally. Wish I was but I ain't.

Generally the games I'm looking for take place in a day or two, like most action movie's do and Yakuza's story is longer. It gives the whole thing a less urgent feel.

However, if you have an intro level where the main character's best friend dies and then do a "1 year later" thats awesome. Bonus points if the villain of the game is secretly the main character's dead friend.

Sleeping dogs tells the story of one man trying to balance his experience in america with his new life in Hong Kong. Admittedly not a Japanese made game, but it tells a good story and the gameplay is top notch.

I think the entire story takes place over about 6 months? Certain parts feel very urgent

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Art of rally? It gets even better with the sound on, but can definitely play it with sound off and there's a lot of love that went into it

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Walked posted:

Ok. Been mostly out of gaming a long time.

Last game I beat was Soma before returning to gaming, but also enjoyed a bunch of RPG-style games of the time (mostly JRPGs which I dont seem to have the patience for these days) and the Resident Evil series.

I've tried (and built a new PC for) Dead Space, which was fine but didnt capture me deeply and I never finished it. Same thing when I tried the RE2 Remake - captivated me for about 3-4hrs and then kinda lost interest.

I happened upon Diablo 4, which I immensely enjoyed through campaign - and some of the post-game content (up to mid 70s, WT4). That said, the seasonal model isnt really my thing I'm happy to say I've gotten my money's worth. I'll probably return at some point, but I got my time.

I've also enjoyed (but lesser as the metaprogress only keeps me interested so long) Vampire Survivors, Slay the Spire, and Brotato.

What I'm finding I'm liking is:
- Not super twitchy-gameplay, I'm slow and old I guess
- Stats and/or abilities that matter and divergent strategies to explore
- Depth of gameplay that becomes more apparent over time while maybe seeming simple at the surface some have said D4 is shallow, but I've never played anything from the series so it was a new gameplay experience to me
- Ability to play in somewhat truncated sessions (family life entails I sometimes gotta shut it down with little to no notice)

Multiplayer on D4 hit a sweet spot too, as it's very drop-in, drop-out friendly. But is not a strict requirement.

My dude have you played sleeping dogs??

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Slay the spire fits into that as well

I sadly cannot recommend sleeping dogs in this instance :(

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Banished? It's a city builder.
Football tactics and glory maybe, if you like football. There's an LP on in the forums if you want to look a bit at how it works

Sleeping dogs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Shine posted:

Immersive Sims are puzzle games where you don't necessarily have to solve puzzles by shooting everybody with rockets, but it's fine if you do.

Sleeping dogs has grenade launchers, I reckon that counts