Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The Sphinxster posted:

Writings are generally collected in books and there's a track record there.
Some kind of an Achewood... book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Beef and I have the same workaday and unexciting taste in fixed-width fonts :shobon:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Leroy Dennui posted:

It also took me a couple years to realize Teodor and Little Nephew's conversation at Ray's Toilet Party was a convluted weed deal, but I was also 13 when I first read that storyline.
This can't be the one about a hundred and fifty dollars in the hall closet, which other one am I forgetting?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tarranon posted:

Did you people that didn't get it honestly think Teodor was paying one hundred and fifty dollars for oregano? Walk me thru it
This is why I was incredulous. I mean, it took me a half-reread, in that after I finished I went back and noticed how stilted the first half was as well, but what the hell, goons.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

High Lord Elbow posted:

Did Lyle's IQ rise 300 points in the penultimate pane?
That's exactly the kind of thing Lyle would have encyclopedically specific knowledge of. Probably learned it from a guy in prison.

e: oh poo poo, good call, the Cookbook.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I had a Tinder date with a lady whose favorite author was some Latin American magical realist I had never heard of. Sadly, he wasn't Mexican and I almost slipped up and said "Mexican magical realism" immediately.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Toebone posted:

Gabriel Garcia Marquez?
I never claimed to be a cultured man :shobon:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I enjoy (but don't like) Nice Pete. I wish there was more written in his voice.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Fingers McLongDong posted:

You know, I never appreciated how incredibly dark a lot of these strips were when I first read them. It's weird how a dumb comic about cats really nails some of the emotional things in life.

And then there's hot tub brawls.
Two strips forward is the one where a young Beef takes a letter for a vagrant, and I never noticed the "and [linebreak] and" typo in its last panel before. I sympathize with young Beef watching the timers on the dryers but man is it ever depressing.

e: oh man early 2009 has "damned if this money don't have square edges and a certain legal tenderness", which I have regrettably used on occasion

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 31, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I'm not entirely certain Onstad isn't writing wikipedia pages for literal rodeo bulls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodacious_(bull)

quote:

Bodacious was dubbed "The World's Most Dangerous Bull" due to his habit of jerking guys down and then head butting them.[1] Many cowboys tried to ride Bodacious in his career. And many of the ones who did attempt a ride fell victim to his head butt and no longer had the face God gave them. Unfortunately, statistics were not as well maintained at that time. Generally, records show that Bodacious was attempted more than 130 times. Some say 8 and others say 10 times did he give up a qualified ride.

quote:

The first man known to own Bodacious was Bill McCann.[5] He would always laugh when he recalled how he sold the most famous bull in bull riding history for pennies on the pound. McCann was in the business of buying calves from Merrick Ranch. He and his co-owner, Bill, owned Geary Livestock Auction. They would buy from Merrick and then sell from the auction. Merrick Ranch was well known for its high value Simbray bulls and the robust calves they produced. When he and Bill got the call that there were 300 head available for purchase, they reacted swiftly. It was steer cutting time. McCann loaded his trailer up and drove to Oklahoma's Arbuckle Mountains. Bill culled about 16 of the fattest Merrick bull calves. His buyers wanted smaller calves, that, when castrated, would not drop a lot of weight. Plus, he liked their looks. These were eye pleasing cattle with gray-blues, creams, and one yellow. His buyers would want these calves. Well, those were good days; now the Merrick Ranch is no longer in existence.[5]

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I've been thinking about this a lot more for the past year. For no real reason, of course. No reason at all.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
That bullshit little man ain't my brother! He just a crappy little bullshit man!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Simian_Prime posted:

He is, but he also tends to overextend himself and let his mouth write checks his talent can’t cash (see Roast Beef’s wedding)
He could stand to learn something from the toilet at the airport.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
This random tweet came up over in PYF:
https://twitter.com/botnikstudios/status/940627812259696643

and now I'm sad that Onstad didn't use the phrase "Magic: it was something that Harry Potter thought was very good" at some point, especially since he literally had Harry Potter fanfic appear multiple times over the years

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

MMAgCh posted:

Man, even Hermione's on to him now.

Denise

your hams are large and unfasionable but I am down

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mr. Squishy posted:

The comics have all been transcribed so they're searchable, but i don't know how easy it would be to scrape.
Does ohnorobot have some sort of API or something so you can scrape it easily? Might be worth a look.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Not all of them, the "we've got manes dogg" would have worked just fine even if they were in fact other species, as evidenced by them trying to get Cornelius to wear one.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Going home for Christmas as an adult always makes me think of Philippe’s father :(

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Safety Dance posted:

Rap music, my droogs!
I read this post and it stuck in my mind and then I quoted Philippe to someone in a semi-relevant context and they most assuredly Did Not Get It and I felt bad.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

The contents of your history on the Achewood search box: cashier, gusano, droogs, magic gravy, boring, asunder, football, hot tub, jaime the science friend, mile high, trouble fake idea, queen bee, tickle harvest, star wars, comedian, palindrome
lol if you also don't have "padrig" in there

(There's a random cop named Padraig in Xenoblade 2 who is relevant for the first like two hours and every single time I thought of Padrig-Faced Padrig)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I still have enough money left over for a large Dr. Pepper and Lesotho.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bust Rodd posted:

I came to that conclusion some months ago and a helpful goon offered a bookstore in Portland that had some used copies for cheap. I’ll try and dig up the link
Things From Another World had at least volumes 2 and 3 for like $8 each back in August. I don't know if they still do or if that was the post you saw.

edit: that was this post:

DNA Cowboys posted:

Will this do? I make an order from TFAW every month or two and haven't had any problems.
back in late August

(it's actually where I got my own copy of vol.2 back in 2014, searching my gmail)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ryonguy posted:

There's a color edition, but gently caress buying color comics that were originally published in black and white because they always look like rear end since they were drawn and laid out specifically with the lack of color in mind.
The only thing worse than a color edition of B&W is a recolor edition of colored things. I agree with this sentiment.

(img-moebius-recolor-comic.jpg) (img-that-girl-in-flex-mentallo-who-went-from-black-to-white.jpg) etc

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Jerusalem posted:

God drat I wish he'd continued making them. The extra content was icing on the cake, but even just having the strips accessible in hardcover was so nice.
Yeah, literally just strips+existing alttext would be more than enough to get me to pay unreasonable amounts. I'm surprised he hasn't Kickstarted them yet (and this is not intended as a cookbook joke)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ryonguy posted:

I imagine it probably has more to do with the fact Dark Horse didn't sell as many as they would have liked, so they bailed on future volumes. Who would have guessed a niche medium-brow webcomic wouldn't have as much popularity draw as internationally known sci-fi franchises?
That's why I would have expected crowdfunding to work for once. There's an established actual-publisher relationship, they could collect money from the small but intense fanbase in advance, and no new material is even required.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
interview with Onstad

important part:

quote:

What plans are currently on the table, or even just floating around your mind, concerning Achewood? Aside from Achewood, are you currently working on anything?

I am excited to tell you that I can’t tell you about my current Achewood project, but that means there is one, and it’s fairly large, and it’s in a very familiar vein. I should have an announcement by summer.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
The list of things I would be willing to buy from Onstad is very long but I think the size of the intersection with what he'd ever actually do is not that big.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

...and the pitch! posted:

Are Ray, Roast Beef and Pat id, ego and superego?
No, because Roast Beef is superego but Pat is clearly not ego.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Halloween Jack posted:

Everyone in the Onstad House is definitely part of Ray's entourage.
I feel like the only two who would even try to say otherwise are Cornelius (who is retired and fairly well-to-do by his airs) and Roast Beef (who totally is, and knows it deep down, but dude does not want to be dependent as a result of Circumstances, and has his pride).

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Javid posted:

Remember when he was tasting different kinds of booze in Onstad's kitchen with Teodor as though he hadn't been drinking since the 1930s?
Man, I had zero recollection that this was the strip where "WHOO! I am DEFINITELY not afraid of the loving POLICE right now!" came from. That's just such a Ray-ism that I had mentally retconned it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Saoshyant posted:

What's the kickstarter link so I can throw money at this?
I still don't know why Onstad hasn't Kickstartered more books, it's not like there are licensing issues or anything cause it's just him, come on man we need it bad

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Nope, never did, still a running joke here. I thought about alluding to it but I figured someone else would.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Chickenwalker posted:

Onstad hanging out with Bill Oakley + his comments in that last interview mean we're probably going to see another terribly voiced achewood cartoon (or at least pitch reel) soon.
He did promise a thing this summer that has yet to materialize.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

NoneMoreNegative posted:

You can't bugger a child online, not even with Flash.
They can call me crazy, but they can't call me guilty! Not with millions of hands on the blade!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Johnny Aztec posted:

I just bought the "Worst Song, played on Ugliest guitar" hardback off ebay.
If you want A Home for Scared People" to go with it, I bought mine from a comic book store in Portland for a hair over ten bucks and it was in minty fresh shape and everything and they still have it in stock. They used to have at least one of the others in stock, but now they don't, so if you want Great Outdoor Fight ebay is your best bet still.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

MikeCrotch posted:

In my experience the most useful Achewood phrase is "rough chuckle".
in my opinion, second to "is from circumstances", but it's close

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

GigaPeon posted:

Bill will be holding the Hot Pocket, but he’ll be passing it to Chris. Both totally smiling...
We'll get a picture where one of them is from America's Test Kitchen and the other one has been interrupted from a phone call where he was trading Russian teenagers for soda syrup.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ryonguy posted:

Same. Hell, just put it up on a POD service or something.
I still do not understand why he hasn't done this. It's literally free money.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
didn't even need to click to finish "simply because we were able to escape starvation in the richest nation in the history of the world"

is there an actual implied tune for that line, feels like it's too long to scan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Deathlove posted:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01302007

I was trying to remember the phrase "that drink's delicious, but it's not permanent" and never noticed Molly in the last frame.

it is a celebration of the english language.
Molly rolls over, but the bulge in the sheets stays in the same place. Unless she's rocking wood the size of her tail, what exactly is that bulge?