Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
Are there any tips for buying car if the model you want is pretty rare and will probably have to be special ordered by the dealership? (Volvo V60 T8 Polestar, if anyone's curious) Seems like you don't have a lot of potential to negotiate in that situation, but I'm hoping someone will tell me I'm wrong about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Nomyth posted:

I'd post on the budgeting thread but remembering advice is hard when my dick or my need to overconform to a nonsensical perceived social norm are driving

Or you could just talk like a normal human being, instead of alternating between tryhard bombast and overdone self-flagellation.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

I have snow tires for the Corolla and drove a 2015 Tacoma so I know I like trucks but yeah I wouldn't buy a camper without seeing I liked it first or a truck just for a camper. Id rent one of those RVs anyways first before doing this. But I'm not going to do this anyways lol. I'm surprised to learn about the red flags though. I didn't think my debt was that....bad?

I don't know why you'd want the camper in the first place. Even if you did have the $30,000 in fun money just lying around, that would probably pay for 6 nice vacations for two including flights, hotels, and restaurants, as long as you don't go too crazy. And you wouldn't be limited to places within driving distance. And you wouldn't have to worry about storing and maintaining the camper.

If you want to go to a place, get a hotel or AirBnB or whatever. If you want to go camping a nice tent and some camp beds/sleeping bags and camp stove can all be had for under a grand or two. Where is it you want to go that you will be going often enough to justify buying this camper? Does this place not have rental cabins etc? Are you morally opposed to sleeping in a tent?

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Explosionface posted:

So I'm looking at a new car. Forcing myself to take my time since it's definitely not a need. Mostly just trying to take advantage of current trade in values. We have 4 kids and it would be nice if both of our vehicles could hold our whole crew. Doesn't have to be comfortable in every seat, just able to haul everyone. My Versa Note makes us do a few mental calculations to figure out our logistics when we change anything from the normal routine.

Proposed Budget: ~$30,000
New or Used: Prefer new
Body Style: SUV
How will you be using the car?: Commuting, mostly
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability is king
Where do you live? rural Kansas

An extra wrinkle is I have a brother-in-law who works at the local Chrysler dealership, so bonus points if there's a surprising reason to give him a commission.

If you're going to be doing a lot of driving with a lot of kids then I would definitely recommend a minivan. Having the three easily accessible rows and lots of interior space is way better than most 3-row SUVs I've seen.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

What, in your wildest opinion, is the best car for someone who hates cars?

PT cruiser, if you're going to hate cars regardless you might as well get one that deserves the hate.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
My dad's old Lexus ES had a ride like a hovercraft, could take speedbumps without slowing down if you really wanted to. Was also delightfully quiet.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
If you like the Volvo S60 you should get the Volvo V60, because it's the same except a station wagon and station wagons are objectively the best kind of car. For real though I've had a V60 for a couple of years and I really like it.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

I think the t8 drivetrain only has the turbo now, no more supercharger, but the two separate motors driving the front and rear axles is supposed to be pretty weird especially because the gas engine has enough torque to generate torque steer, so if you had it you get torque steer and the rear stepping out at the same time, which must be some crazy GM XBody level poo poo for a brand that prides itself on safety.

I have a T8 with the twin charge, but it's never felt unsafe to me, though admittedly I don't go around launching it on a regular basis. The rear electric motor is only 100 hp on mine (160 on the newer models), which isn't enough to get you into too much trouble, and the torque steer from the front engine isn't really noticeable. None of the reviews I read for the car mention those as issues, and the Polestar 1 has basically the same setup only with even more hp in the front and back and Chris Harris liked it enough to buy one. I will say it's fantastic for long highway drives, it's quiet, comfortable, and decently zippy when you want it to be, absolutely eats miles. Also it's a station wagon which looks like pure sex, which is a real achievement.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
We live in a world of $100k+ pickup trucks, all brands get to be luxury brands if they want to be.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
So I have a question about buying v leasing:

My sister lives in NYC and gets around using public transport, does not currently have a car. She's doing her psych PhD and for her 1 year internship was assigned to a hospital on Long Island that she will have to drive to, and therefore will need a car. However she has no idea where she's going to end up after that year and would prefer to live car free in general. The car itself will most likely be a prius or comparable driving appliance. Would this be a good case for a 1 year lease or is it better to buy and then resell after a year?

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
Really says something that the wise advice is to hire some kind of middleman to help you deal with the other middleman who is preventing you from purchasing a mass produced product from a multinational company at a reasonable price.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Motronic posted:

Yes, it's a sad state of affairs due to a broken bought and paid for political system that allows this to continue.

But realistically you know how to negotiate because you have experience doing it and just need to know the parameters of the car buying process and you'll be fine or you don't have experience negotiating and you sure are not going to learn enough here (or anywhere) to buy a car.

I think a lot of us in here have spent years in jobs where we're negotiating contracts that aren't just much higher dollar than cars, but much higher dollars than houses. It's a skill set you're not going to learn buying a new car ever 10 years.

I guess my broader point is that a car like a Toyota is a mass produced commodity product and buying it shouldn't require negotiation any more than the purchase of a new laptop should. The fact that you have to talk to some shitlicker just to get a price in the first place is insane.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

my bony fealty posted:

If you mean plug-in hybrid - those can be charged in a normal wall outlet right? If you buy a PHEV does it come with the charger or does that have to be bought separately?

The idea of a car that can do short trips around town without gas but also have gas range is very appealing. I'm hesitant to go for a $40-50k car with interest rates what they are though :/

We have a plug-in and it came with a changer cord that had both 120 and 240v swappable ends, so I had a 240v outlet put in by the driveway. Takes around 4 hours to charge the battery to the full 20 mile range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
Racecars also do it partly so they can fit bigger brake discs inside the wheel, but that's also irrelevant to road cars.