Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Well, lets talk about that then. If you're looking for a hot hatch, is the Focus ST still a good choice? As mentioned, it is old, but I remember it being well reviewed when it came out. What about the Fiesta ST? Reviews for that were even better.

What's the best choice for a new hot hatch in TYOOL 2017?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

TheQuietWilds posted:

Hello, the OP format doesn't really work for me so I'm just going to freestyle this.

I'm a medical student in a major NE city.

Leasing an econobox would be fine, but really, you're a candidate for this thread's motto:

"Buy a used Prius" (not a C). They're cheap, plentiful, reliable, small enough to park, and are surprisingly good for moving stuff in. You can half your budget easily and still get a decent one.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

TheQuietWilds posted:

I'm sure this has been covered, but isn't buying a used Prius dangerous due to the possibility of having to replace a battery worth more than the car, and as a result also difficult to sell?

Prius battery replacements have dramatically dropped in price (a quick google says $1000-$3000), as other manufacturers have started making them, and the expertise to replace only dead cells (instead of the entire battery) has disseminated. That said, if you have a Prius with a degraded battery, they still drive just fine, you just take a fuel economy hit. It's also rare. They're warrantied for 8 years/100k miles, and there are plenty of taxis with 200k+ on their original battery. I don't want to say it isn't a possibility, because it clearly is, but it's not as big of a deal as it used to be.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

FileNotFound posted:

AWD doesn't help you stop, or spin out - true. Winter tires do - yes true - but nobody who is budgeting a max of 20k is setting aside $500-800 for a set of winter tires and wheels.

I own a $3k car and have winter tires and wheels. Obviously anecdotal, and you're not wrong in saying that most people don't own snow tires, but the person is coming here for advice. We're saying "spend 19k max instead and use the remaining 1k to buy tires." You're saying "Yes, snow tires solve this problem, but no one will do that."

FileNotFound posted:

I admit I assumed that when people refer to having to deal with snow, they are mostly referring to dealing with being stuck somewhere or not being able to make up a hill or an onramp that didn't get plowed yet. AWD helps tremendously in all of those cases - and in PA I see far more cars stranded on onramps, unplowed roads etc than I see spun out. So yes I would absolutely recommend an AWD car for anyone in the mid-west or northeast.

Snow tires also help with this situation.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Helianthus Annuus posted:

Hi thread, my wife and I wanna get another car. I'm not an informed car buyer, please help me make a good choice!

We're in a 2010 Mercury Mariner now, and it's kind of a drag because it's FWD only, and we're in Colorado. It's not cutting it in winter, so we wanna trade it in.

Proposed Budget: $25k
New or Used: used
Body Style: 4 door SUV. Examples: Highlander, Land Cruiser, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Nissan Xterra
How will you be using the car?: City commuting, driving to the mountains
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos: nope
What aspects are most important to you?

* Longevity and reliability
* AWD or 4WD
* Same length as Mariner (176 in) or smaller (we have a small garage)
* Bench seating in the back, room for camping paraphernalia
* Doesn't look girly (her words)

We might do a road trip to to see family in Illinois later this year, so we aren't necessarily constrained to buying in Colorado.

She wants an SUV, I would be fine with some kind of hatchback as long as it has AWD and ample space.

Do you have winter tires for your Mariner? They would cost about $1000 including a second set of wheels, and would fix the winter driving problem.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

BeefSupreme posted:

Proposed Budget: 25k
New or Used: used (certified pre-owned?)
Body Style: 4-door, probably a crossover
How will you be using the car: Daily driver (20ish mile commute each way), carrying all sorts of sports equipment around that basically never leaves my car (I'm a coach), semi-regular excursions, often outdoorsy (but not offroading, and almost never snow), occasionally carry a few extra passengers
What aspects are most important to you: Needs to last a good while, not look or drive like poo-poo.

For the last 5 years, I've been driving a 2001 Toyota Camry that was handed down to me from my grandmother. It's got 150000 miles on it, and a host of relatively fixable issues have arisen in the last 10k miles or so. The brakes need work, the suspension needs work, there are some minor cosmetic issues (and somebody decided to knock off my left sideview mirror last week, awesome). Looking at all that, and considering that it's likely not worth more than a couple grand, seems like possibly a good time to get a new ride. I also happen to be in a decent place to do so financially, with no outstanding debts, low costs of living for the time being, and a stable income.

The leader in the clubhouse as a replacement is a Mazda CX-5, which it seems everybody loves. The CX-3 is nice but too small, I think. I am not into most of it's direct competitors, like the CR-V or the RAV4, mostly from an aesthetic standpoint. Used versions of luxury crossovers (BMW X1/X3, Volvo XC60) are interesting but I imagine the costs of maintenance are much higher.

Let me know what I'm missing, what questions I should be asking. Thanks!

The Mazdas are well regarded. You won't have a problem with those. I'll let someone more AI chime in with other options.

To cover the BFC portion of the thread: You seem like you're in a good financial place to get a new car, and that you want to, but just so someone has said it, a 150k Camry still has plenty of life, and fixing that stuff (and the other stuff that will start to pop up from time to time) would still be way cheaper than getting a new car. That said, as long as you're honest with yourself that you're doing this because you want a new car, not because it's financially ideal, go hog wild.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Thread favorite Prius hits all your needs: Great reliability, cargo space, economy, has all the tech (camera, bluetooth, etc) you mentioned. You can find them at any point in your price range. The driving dynamics aren't very good, but it doesn't sound like that's a problem.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

07 Impreza, is that out of the head gasket danger zone?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i have like 2500 bucks to get a beater car. i don't really give a poo poo what make/model, it'll basically be to go to work and only local driving. is the recommendation to still get a prius?

The Prius is always a good choice for a driving appliance. That said, at that price, the fact that a car has been regularly maintained is more important than a specific make and model.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

How much does significant aesthetic damage affect car sell values usually? I'm going to be selling my current car before buying a new one soon, and forms I filled out online didn't seem to distinguish much between "actually mechanically significant damage" and "super minor damage."

In my case, I have a 2002 (or 2003, forget) Camry with 102,000 miles on it and a really big dent in the rear left corner of the bumper. It would likely be damned expensive to fix, but also doesn't affect anything mechanically.

Ideally I would like to get the most money by selling it myself (as opposed to a trade-in, where I think I'd only get like $1-1.5k), and I was thinking that maybe it's the sort of car parents might want for their teens. But I have no clue what would be reasonable to charge.

https://jalopnik.com/the-incredible-mystery-of-the-camry-dent-1785413530

EDIT: To actually be useful, I'd look around craigslist for similar cars, but frankly a Camry with that low mileage, as long as it's otherwise in good shape and well maintained, I don't see why you couldn't get $3k-4k for it, maybe more. If you're in a high cost of living area and have some time for it to sit, you could probably list it for $5k. The only way to know really is look on craigslist, then list it and see. As long as you have some time, you can always lower the price later.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 26, 2018

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Does anyone know of any long term range tests on electric only cars? I'm considering if it would be feasible to replace our car with a used electric car, but I don't know how much of a range hit a ~5 year old battery takes. I imagine it's different for different manufacturers (and obviously each individual car).

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Is a 3rd gen Prius still the go to for a cheap (well, cheap for this market), low maintenance driving appliance? My sister's car (2008 Suzuki SX4) has just become salvage, and she's looking for something cheap and reliable to replace it with. She doesn't have high standards (see, Suzuki), can drive a manual, and wants something low maintenance and easy to park in Chicago (so, small).

She's hoping to spend something like $5000-$7500, which I realize is tough. We found a 2007 (so gen 2) 1 owner Prius with 100k miles in decent shape for $6500. That seems decent, but $6500 for a 16 year old car hurts (says the guy who hasn't had to look at car prices since pre-pandemic).

What are some other models we should be looking at? I realize at this range, the particular car and how it was cared for is more important than make/model, but I'd like to cast a fairly wide net, so some other suggestions are welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Proposed Budget: up to $15k or so
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Hatchback -- subcompact or compact
How will you be using the car?: Usually 2 people, but somewhat frequently use the back seats for adults. Primarily city driving, but we (tent) camp a lot too, and I like being able to throw my bike in the back, so rear cargo space is nice, insomuch as it can exist in a small car.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? No. Heated seats would be nice, but we're probably looking at southern cars to avoid rust, so unlikely. Bluetooth audio and keyless start still count as luxury to me.
What aspects are most important to you? Small vehicle. Reasonably low cost of ownership. Good cargo space, and the ability for adults to use the backseat. Manual transmission is nice, but are getting rare and isn't essential

Prius is definitely an option. We prefer a manual, but that might be the thing to go this time.

I was primarily looking at 2012-2014 Fits (post facelift, pre-refresh), which I like but definitely still have a Honda tax, and are on the older end of what I'm looking for.

I really like the 2015 era 2.5L Mazda 3, but the cargo space/back seat situation is pretty bad there.

My guilty pleasure car would be a Volvo C30, but the practicality aspects (and TCO) seem lacking, plus they're getting pretty old at this point.

I love driving GTIs, but my impression of them are that they are great to drive, but suffer from German stuff (more expensive parts/maintenance, weird things going wrong), more about fun to drive, less about cargo space/practicality. I'm willing to be talked out of that impression though.

I'm mostly looking for other things to cross shop that I'm forgetting. I liked the Elantra GT, but I spend enough time in Milwaukee (original home of the Kia Boyz IIRC) that that seems like a bad idea. My current car is a Nissan Versa Hatch, which with the manual gearbox has honestly has been better than it's reputation (I'm well aware the CVT blows), but I have a bigger budget this time than I did last time, so I'm not looking at a newer Versa.