Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Looking for recommendations to fit the following
    Proposed Budget: up to $15k but ideally $10k
    New or Used: clearly in the used category here
    Body Style: hatch or wagon. Can be a 2 door hatch (or if you find one, a two door wagon :dance:)
    How will you be using the car?: Long trips (8+ hours), regular commuting, winter driving
    What aspects are most important to you? the only three things I really care about here are: comfortability for long trips, relative reliability, and if possible, fun to drive
    MY ONE MUST HAVE: heated seats. It need to have the option for heated seats.
    Dont recommend me: a Subaru.

I’m not going hardcore about drive types, but AWD if possible is high in the secondary aspects, with RWD and FWD respectively coming in that preferred order.

I’ve mostly been looking at Volvo C30s because they are in the price bracket with under 100k miles, look cool/goofy as hell, and are essentially a mildly hot hatch. Other options are the shared platform V50 in AWD, but those are much rarer.

It’s gonna have to hold up well to Michigan winters, but that’s really gonna be down to washing the salt off and running winter tires. The winters are why my must have is heated seats.

So let’s see what you got, thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

They could always illegally import a Mexican Jimny

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It sounds like you want a minivan. You should buy one of those instead. If you get one with fold flat seats it’s more practical than a lot of trucks for hauling stuff too.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

There’s also the Honda Odyssey; but specific features are all gonna be based on model year. Either way, it’s a Honda engine and the whole package will be incredibly reliable.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Crosstreks are just lifted Imprezas, so consider looking at those too.

But for real, congratulations on your new Prius. Subarus aren’t bottom tier for reliability, but they sure aren’t as reliable as everyone seems to think.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

DildenAnders posted:

How inadvisable/ how easy would it be to verify the starter is truly the only thing wrong here?
https://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/d/stony-brook-1997-bmw-z3/7680981985.html

You could show up with a multimeter and check the starter wires, but as advised upthread, do not willingly buy into a BMW with electrical gremlins

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

UPS stores notarize poo poo. Could just bring it there when you sign it as the buyer.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Grumpwagon posted:

Proposed Budget: up to $15k or so
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Hatchback -- subcompact or compact
How will you be using the car?: Usually 2 people, but somewhat frequently use the back seats for adults. Primarily city driving, but we (tent) camp a lot too, and I like being able to throw my bike in the back, so rear cargo space is nice, insomuch as it can exist in a small car.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? No. Heated seats would be nice, but we're probably looking at southern cars to avoid rust, so unlikely. Bluetooth audio and keyless start still count as luxury to me.
What aspects are most important to you? Small vehicle. Reasonably low cost of ownership. Good cargo space, and the ability for adults to use the backseat. Manual transmission is nice, but are getting rare and isn't essential

Prius is definitely an option. We prefer a manual, but that might be the thing to go this time.

I was primarily looking at 2012-2014 Fits (post facelift, pre-refresh), which I like but definitely still have a Honda tax, and are on the older end of what I'm looking for.

I really like the 2015 era 2.5L Mazda 3, but the cargo space/back seat situation is pretty bad there.

My guilty pleasure car would be a Volvo C30, but the practicality aspects (and TCO) seem lacking, plus they're getting pretty old at this point.

I love driving GTIs, but my impression of them are that they are great to drive, but suffer from German stuff (more expensive parts/maintenance, weird things going wrong), more about fun to drive, less about cargo space/practicality. I'm willing to be talked out of that impression though.

I'm mostly looking for other things to cross shop that I'm forgetting. I liked the Elantra GT, but I spend enough time in Milwaukee (original home of the Kia Boyz IIRC) that that seems like a bad idea. My current car is a Nissan Versa Hatch, which with the manual gearbox has honestly has been better than it's reputation (I'm well aware the CVT blows), but I have a bigger budget this time than I did last time, so I'm not looking at a newer Versa.

What up dude, you and I have similar tastes. I also want a C30. The age has unfortunately steered me away from them, though they remain on a back burner for now.

If you can find an unmodified Focus ST that would be my pick. Do some research, but most of the issues seem to be common maintenance items like spark plugs or folks revving their engine to WOT from low RPM and getting low speed pre-ignition, damaging their engine. Don’t do that. Change the oil.

Re: GTIs, they have some of the best cargo space of their class. For reliability, there are different things than just oil changes for regular maintenance, but if those things are done they seem to be pretty drat reliable. This is entirely dependent on what year/generation and mileage though. I’d look into forums for single generations (presumably Mk7/7.5) to find common issues.

Imprezas could be on your list, and while I don’t care for Subaru’s boxer engine, they’re generally (semi)reliable if unmodded and have regular maintenance. CVTs and all that, but you’re already hardened against it.

Don’t forget about the Chevy Bolt! Those suckers can fit a bunch of folks and all their poo poo, are relatively sporty, and are largely criminally cheap.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Right totally agree 100%. I'm treating the money I've put into the leaf as lost. What I'm getting at is should I treat a car like a utility that I pay monthly for the privilege using ie a lease.

See, my only argument against double payments is I'd rather take that extra $390 a month and toss into my savings account where it will get 4.3%. Yes it's lower than the rate on my auto loan, but I have ready access to that cash while it earns interest.

A few other points that I may have overstated: There's nothing wrong with the leaf per se. In fact it's been a fine second car in the household, but that situation has changed where the leaf is now the primary mode of transportation and going any farther than say 150 miles becomes a little dicey due to the crappy fast charging capability. Not a huge deal but an inconvenience I'd rather not have to worry about.

Sure, I'm not trying to justify anything other than "my current car is a bit more inconvenient than a newer car". What I'm trying to figure out is at what price point does it make sense to lease vs finance said new car. If I can significantly reduce my payment and put those savings into an interest bearing account why not? It's all money down the drain anyway effectively.

You very well might be right on that, but my plan is to ask around at a few lease brokers and see what I can get around the end of the month. If they get desperate enough I might snag a deal who knows.

The other key factor here is my state's EV incentive program. I'm waiting to hear back if the program is still funded that way no matter what I do lease/finance I can lay out the cash and then get a check from the state in a few months which is what I did last time.

I’d still be paying the car off sooner than putting it into savings. The numbers are close but not negligible, and you’re guaranteeing months more of having $CARPAYMENT less in your pocket.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Here’s a cost-friendly option for anyone looking at a crosstrek: buy an Impreza hatch and put a 2-3” lift on it and slightly larger tires. It’s the only difference between the two (besides the $3k up charge for the crosstrek)

You can certainly get a lift and tires for under $3k.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 7, 2023

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Seriously do not buy an Impreza and lift it :wtc:

That’s literally what a crosstrek is.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

FWD rally’s are mostly Fiestas from what I’m seeing. You’d need the manual version though. The auto is not an option unless you love replacing transmissions

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Twerk from Home posted:

I was about to make a comment about transmission health towing at a minivans limit, then I realized I have no clue the CVT in the Sienna even does under heavy load.

I did check and Toyota says it's a lifetime fluid, you never change the trans fluid.

Lifetime fluid always means “until end of warranty”. Change your fluids, folks

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Jon Irenicus posted:

I've done the final repair on my current car (a used 2009 Volvo XC70) so it's time to think about what the next one will be

Proposed Budget: 20k-30k
New or Used: I've only ever bought used, but now that I have some cash saved up I wouldn't be against new.
Body Style: my partner has an SUV already for the family, I would prefer a sedan. However: I am 6'6" tall and have struggled to fit into some of the smaller styles. For example, I didn't fit into my father's Prius years ago.
How will you be using the car?: My daily commute is about 20 miles on the interstate with variable traffic, sometimes bumper to bumper. A few times a year we visit family in Upstate NY (roughly five hours away) or my hermit father via car ferry
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?
What aspects are most important to you?: I want a car with enough room to fit me comfortably for my commute and good MPG - hybrids would be great. Some of the newer things I don't have in my old model - backup camera, Android Auto connectivity, etc.

2020 Lincoln MKZ 3.0 AWD. 400 hp, 400 ftlb, AWD system out of a focus RS. Just change the torque converter fluid ever 30k miles. They’re incredibly cheap, you should be able to find one cheap near you with under 50k miles. They’ve got all the modern poo poo, like adaptive cruise, plus Sync3 is bulletproof, and beyond that it’s very new. Do regular maintenance, including the torque converter, and enjoy your perfect car

e: upon closer review you actually want a fusion hybrid. Sorry, thought you wanted a fun focused, not economy focused car.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 29, 2023

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Loan Dusty Road posted:

I found it funny Ford was willing to do this but neutered the SHO to 365HP. Nothing that a tune doesn’t fix but still.

Lincoln is still trying (and failing) to find a reason to exist, and this was one of those futile attempts. They didn’t realize their primary market segment is 70+ retirees, but it works out in my favor, because those $70k cars are now under $25k with super low mileage.

Keep in mind they are heavy as poo poo, but everything is nowadays, so who cares. In the end I can get a supremely equipped Grand Tourer for the cost of a Mirage

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Motronic posted:

I can never forget this was a thing nor understand how it wasn't the end of the brand:

I drove one of those, and while it was cool, it sure was Just An F150

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Shipon posted:

Dealership called me this morning saying the car's arrived. Spent about 2 hours in there, they tried the "here's 8k of warranties" but I pushed back pretty easily, didn't give too much fuss (I let them have the tire replacement plan, it wasn't too much). Didn't even try to sell me on gap or whatever (mainly because I put 30% down). Ended up paying ~43k before tax and registration, well within my budget (650/mo at 5.79%)

Now to figure out how these drat infotainment things work

Neat!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The best deal on that list is the Fiesta ST. They’re insanely reliable, cheap to drive and insure, and offer the same or better handling and power to weight than the SI or the BRZ. It’s a Miata with a hatch.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

DildenAnders posted:

Are they reliable? I was under the impression the 2.0l in the Focus ST was a better bet long term (not much more expensive and more space too).

The 2.0 has more issues in general, but I’ve heard of less for the 1.6 in the Fiesta. Post 2016 they had a new head and gasket that addressed coolant sneaking past the gasket, but previous gen’s are up for a warranty replacement if not already addressed iirc. I’ve got a 2019 and have had no mechanical issues at all.

The big reason I’d tend away from the Focus is that you’re more likely to run into one that’s had previous owner abuse, as these tended to be tuned and hooned by younger drivers by a bigger margin than the Fiestas I was shopping.

That said, they’re both pretty solid and there’s tons of support and stories taking em into the 200k plus mileage. The fiesta feels zippier in turns though, and is closer in feel to a sports car than the focus, in my mind.

Either way, for any hot hatch, try to find a low mileage unmodified version and you’ll have a hell of a car for a long time to come. They’re all built on econobox platforms, so there’s tons of parts and engineering to force long term reliability, since ford/honda/whoever needed their focus/civic/fiesta platform to be dead reliable at baseline.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

SporkChan posted:

Proposed Budget: 6k preferred. Can go up to 8k, but would prefer not to.

New or Used: Used

Body Style: Sedan? My last car was a Buick Century, which did well for me for years. Family car was a Toyota Corolla. Something roughly that size.

How will you be using the car?: Grocery shopping, and subburb driving in the NorthEast United sates. I'm fully work from home, so no regular commute.

What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability and low cost of maintenance

My Century finally died, cracked head gasket wasn't worth repairing, and now I'm in need of a new car. Haven't bought a car in 20 years, and I don't even know where to start, so turning to goons for advice. Really the only thing I need is something to get me from point A to point B reliably. Is there any make/models to be looking for? Avoiding?

Yeah, Prius. Maybe a hybrid Fusion.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

DildenAnders posted:

This is really making me want to buy a Fiesta St honestly.
Please stop.

They’re sooooo cheap and reliable. It’s impossible not to smile while driving one.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It’s a high mileage manual economy sedan without any of the standard tech ppl want, and is before Mazda tried to move upmarket. It’s not sporty, not particularly economical vs competitors, not luxury, and doesn’t have the implied reliability of Toyota or Honda. Nothing about that car is what regular people want to drive.

Also it’s manual. People only want manuals in sports cars nowadays. Old Honda shitboxes can be modded to hell and back. Old Toyota shitboxes can drive for a half million miles with no oil. Newish/oldish Mazdas that aren’t mazdaspeed or miatas don’t even enter the conversation for most folks, and certainly don’t have the rep of the two mentioned.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

TheBacon posted:

Counter point, 3rd gen is when they started moving up market. That’s the 2L instead of the 2.5L but the the Grand Touring was the too trim and even had adaptive cruise control (though not sure about with a manual). Nice leatherish heated seats, pretty tight interior quality, no rattles or squeaks, the things that makes it feel like a solid car.

Counter counter: Mazda moved upmarket but buyers didn’t recognize it until the current gen.

I’m not bagging on Mazda 3s though, quite the opposite. It’s a huge boon to have all the leather and heated seats in an economy car while the price doesn’t reflect it. It only sucks if you have to sell it, but it rocks if you’re trying to buy one.

Regarding Fiesta STs, buy one, but beware the PO. Fists don’t seem to have been as abused as the Focuses, but as mentioned above, the greatest downfall of any hot hatch is the previous owner.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Backno posted:

https://www.carmax.com/car/25224833

Is there something I'm missing on this car? I see what looks like recall fixes in California, but not much else. It's in my price range and low miles but don't want to pay to ship it closer if there is some glaring issue I'm not seeing.

It looks fine, but it’s dirty all over the interior and isn’t worth the price they’re asking.

Here’s my arguments: all four tires shoulda been replaced; not just two. The seller should have shampooed the interior or at least wiped poo poo down. Non recaros means the price is inflated for the year, even considering the low mileage. It’s also a 2017, so a year before all fiestas got a backup camera. That’s another ding on the price.

That should be $17-18k.

FWIW I bought my 19 FiST from carmax with 1337 miles for 20k in April 2021. What they’ve offered to buy it back has slowly dipped, mostly in the past few years. They probably bought that car for $15k. That means you can buy one for $16-17k privately, or 17-18 from a dealer.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yup, the answer is Chevy Bolt. Rent something for trips. They’re pretty nice inside, too.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

If he doesn’t have kids, why not just get a compact now and sell it when they’re pregnant? All the wants/needs point to a compact, and buying used means he won’t see a massive drop in value even if they’re pregnant this summer or next.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Ahh yeah missed that, only read the Chicago part.

My point about getting a car for a lifestyle they currently don’t have still stands though.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I don’t have the energy to get into a long post, but Hondas are very reliable for the money, hold their value well, and aren’t overpriced for what they offer. They are a perfectly cromulent car.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It sounds like they actually want a minivan

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I guess I’d recommend the SUVs that are minivans with worse ergonomics like the Chevy Traverse or a Toyota Highlander

I don’t have much to offer in this, apart from steering them away from any “sporty” three row vehicles or that have truck-like driving dynamics. Basically you just wanna stick to the larger midsize market with lower ground clearance.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 15, 2024

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You better believe I was redlining my EcoBoost mustang rental

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It depends on what number they’re using. VantageScore 3.0 is different than 4.0 is different than FICO 8 is different than FICO 9 is different than … (there are 16 different FICOs).

It’s just a different score is all. They are all as equally made up. Your equifax or transunion or credit karma is checking the same data but using a different scoring system.

Personally I put no weight in a numerical credit score, and neither does any lending agency worth their salt. They check the credit reports, not the scores (beyond a cursory glance). They’re a semi-useful shorthand in very specific contexts, depending on which score is used.

Fun thing: they don’t exist in most other countries. Our system is not transferable to other countries, save maybe Canada. They didn’t exist before the 80s. We got bamboozled as a country into accepting that any of this poo poo was important.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I loved the 96 regal. You could get it with a supercharged 3800 and you get all the bodacious good looks of a massive American luxury coupe.

Anyway, enjoy your new Prius.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You don’t need an suv

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Probably a van with fold flat seats. Vans aren’t small however. A used Dodge Caravan would work and they can be found pretty much everywhere.

e: actually, a used Sienna or Odyssey would probably work even better on the reliability front.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

ethanol posted:

I don’t need a small rear end Prius

I’m sorry to tell you that your car isn’t a Prius like you asked. With a heavy heart I must now tell you about the existence of the Prius V.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

ethanol posted:

I don’t have an hrv I have a rav4 which has more cargo space

In sadness I must tell you that the Prius V has only two less cubes with the seats down, and up to three more with the seats up. I take no joy in this, nor the higher economy numbers.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Everybody that hauls poo poo wants a van with fold flat seats. Everybody that commutes wants a Prius.

Everyone regardless of status wants a station wagon. This is the way of the world.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Lots of fleets use full size passenger vans, like shuttles and the like. Probably don’t want a fleet vehicle, but simple spec full size passenger vans are out there if you look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

:corsair: in my day they would just rap about the number of spokes they had!