Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So I'm trying to research cars that I never would have ever considered buying.

My grandparents were in a really bad wreck last week. My grandpa, in his 2004-ish Buick Le sabre, was waved on by the lead tree removal truck in a convoy and he turned left - unaware that a driver was using the half-lane to go around these trucks at about fifty. She hit his passenger door, killing my grandma instantly. No side airbags in the car.

My grandpa is home recovering now and soon will need to replace his Buick.

He is thinking something certified pre-owned, and wants something like his Le Sabre but newer. Preferably Buick but he's also open to Ford. So I'm thinking Impala, Lucerne (do they still make that?) or Taurus.

Another thing - he's ninety years old. Many would say he shouldn't be driving anymore, but he's still in good health and other than this accident (which, while being his fault, isn't something I'd say age had anything to do with) he's a capable driver. Slow, and hates interstates, but around town he's fine. But he isn't going to want a ton of modern technology because he isn't going to understand it or use it.

Oh - he hasn't forgiven the Japanese for Pearl Harbor, so anything Japanese is out of the question, even if it's built in America.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

euphronius posted:

He just killed his wife and probably maimed the person driving the other car. maybe he shouldn’t be driving.

The other person was unhurt. Both parties were found at fault (apparently, I haven't seen the report). He turned in front of a bunch of trucks that waved him by (as they were turning left coming from the other way) and his view of the right half-lane/shoulder or whatever you wanna call it was blocked. No markings to indicate there is a lane, but people use it as a lane to go around vehicles turning left. One of those deals. Anyway, he shouldn't have gone but I can't say that he shouldn't be driving based on that accident.

Throatwarbler posted:

Jesus Christ. Maybe teach him to use uber or lyft for a bit.

hah, he doesn't have a smartphone so that'll be hard.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

nm posted:

If he does get a new car, something small will be more manageable to drive and decrease the likelihood anyone else he hits dies.
My grandfather was in the exact same place and it loving sucked, but we eventually got him to turn in the keys. At least see if you can get him evaled by a doctor.

He has just been evaluated by a number of doctors. He was in the hospital. They say he's good to drive and live alone once he's healed, assuming there aren't any further complications.

I'm not about to get into the "seniors shouldn't drive" argument. I don't disagree that they should be tested but my grandfather is in pretty drat good shape for ninety (well he was, before his accident but he's expected to have a 100% recovery). He wants nothing to do with uber/lyft and it's pretty poo poo in our area anyway (not to mention I generally disagree with their entire business model, but that's a topic for yet another thread). He wants a car of roughly equivalent size to his Le Sabre.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

heffray posted:

Just get a new Buick and don't tell him the good ones are German.

He still has a 1991 Dodge Spirit that I'm pretty sure was made in Mexico. He hates anything having to do with Mexico. I don't know if he's in denial about it or accepted it but I always found that amusing.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Something Offal posted:

Racism isn't really that amusing
Oh his racism isn't, and we get into it often about that and other things, it's more his complete cognitive dissonance that allows him to love the car.

quote:

I could be wrong but I don't think doctors 'officially' evaluate fitness for driving in any way outside of physical limitations or serious health problems that could cause spontaneous confusion (e.g. dementia) or unconsciousness (e.g. fainting issues, heart issues) behind the wheel. The fact that your grandpa does not have the aforementioned problems doesn't mean doctors are saying he's 'good to drive' from what I understand. The lower reaction times of even a healthy 90 year old should probably be disqualifying in a rational world, but the medical community is not in the business of making that call.

Oh don't get me wrong, he's old and I'm sure his reaction times aren't that of a twenty-year-old, but I've not seen any evidence that would suggest he's severely unfit to drive. And if I did, I... well, I don't know if there's anything I could do, honestly, because he's pretty stubborn and has been driving his whole life, but I'd at least bring it up I guess? He's a very independent person, always has been, and absolutely hates the idea of being reliant on other people.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

euphronius posted:

He just killed your grandmother !!!

I, uh, noticed.

It was in an accident that can't be attributed to being too old to drive. He was waved on by a truck on a one-and-a-half-lane street and had no way of knowing somebody was coming up alongside the trucks. She was technically on the shoulder but I think still had right-of-way, but it's a scenario that I can't really use as him being too old to safely drive.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Something Offal posted:

A less-than-90-year-old person may have had the wherewithal to make the left turn slowly, stop before front of his car moved to the right of the truck, and slowly inched forward like making any other blind left.

He didn't have the wherewithal, and your grandma paid the price. Do you want a stranger to be next?

You can literally use that argument on anybody. Nobody should drive because accidents can happen.

This isn't a debate I want to have right now. He is old and has been involved in a fatal accident but neither myself nor anybody else in the family thinks that he's unable to drive. Strangers on the internet are not going to be able to make a decent evaluation of his abilities. If nobody has any suggestions re: my original question I'll let it drop.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

So in addition to being 90 he is a bad driver.

Honestly I don't know if I can even say that. He's put a million miles on more than one car (he used to be a travelling salesman) and until last week still drove pretty frequently (no further than a few states over) and this is the first accident that I can recall him having, ever. I know he hit a deer once in the sixties but that's it.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 6, 2019

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

euphronius posted:

Old people making dangerous turns into oncoming traffic is routine thing. They can’t see, their reaction time is real slow, they get confused etc.

Look. Here is the intersection.

(if the img code isn't working, look here: https://imgur.com/0XnnQs3

Jefferson is one lane but wide enough for another car to go around. We had a bad storm and there were trees down. There were tree removal trucks, a line of three of them, big trucks, that can't be seen through. He trusted the lead truck's driver (which he shouldn't have) and assumed (which he shouldn't have) that nobody would be going around them. Reaction time wasn't an issue and confusion wasn't an issue.

The road has literally been an issue for some time, and they're going to restripe it (or something) in the future. It appears as though it is technically one lane each way, meaning the woman that hit him was making an illegal pass on the right.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 6, 2019

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

KillHour posted:

Someone waving you around is also NOT an endorsement that the road is clear, just that they want you to go around them. The police specifically said your grandpa was partially at fault.

That's... literally what I said. I did not say it gave him right of way. He made an incorrect assumption and paid the price.

It is two lanes. Here is a quote, literally from the director of public works:

quote:

"It is two lanes," says Eric Horvath, the city's Director of Public Works, "It is striped as two lanes. It is just confusing for people cause it is way too big for two lanes."

It's true. Horvath says each lane is 22 feet wide -- much too wide for a local, residential road. Federal recommendations call for just 12 foot wide lanes on highways. That has made the road confusing for everyone. And most drivers speed well over the limit.

It is why she also received fault.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

plester1 posted:

I think the question is way outside the scope of this thread.

I don't disagree. I really just want to know what's out there that's equivalent-ish to his old car and maybe about that they'd cost. He has the money to buy new but he doesn't want to spend $35k on a car. Probably more like 15-25k. It isn't a segment I'm familiar with at all.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

KillHour posted:

Yes, but we've already lost that line of argument because the OP is stubborn and insists his grandpa has the god-given right to pilot a 2 ton steel missile through residential areas. We aren't going to change his mind on that, so now we have to resort to damage control.

I mean, we've had the talk. He still feels capable. Everybody else in the family feels he's OK to drive. The doctors are OK with it. It isn't that I'm stubborn, it's that literally everybody thinks he's OK to drive for the foreseeable future. Even if I disagreed, I can't take his keys away. The argument is lost because a bunch of people on the internet that don't know the guy don't think he should be driving.

I don't think he has very many driving years ahead of him but he isn't ready to hang up his keys yet.

KillHour posted:

He doesn't. It's racism.

Don't get me wrong, he's racist as gently caress. He isn't allowed over at Christmas and I limit my kid's exposure to him.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Something Offal posted:

Hmm alright, looks like some states are better than others. Illinois requires a license renewal + road test annually after 87 years old. https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/illinois-driving-laws-seniors-older-drivers.html

I'd bet my hat OP's grandpa wouldn't be able to pass. And with that I'll drop it. :)

It appears in Indiana it's every two years.

I don't know when it was renewed but he has a license right now. I'm pretty sure at least before the accident he'd have been able to pass, his vision is fine and he's sharp as hell. Right now he's laid up due to the accident.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

euphronius posted:

Also the alleged fact that the construction worker waved him into the turn comes from the 90 year old so.

Unless the construction worker admitted it which I doubt. Maybe.

Even if he did, it doesn't grant right-of-way.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

The OP may be spinning a yarn cause apparently he has no ability to prevent his Gramps from driving but is also responsible for getting him his next car.

Oh I'm not getting it for him. I'm just looking at what's out there and what it costs.

Throatwarbler posted:

With the advent of modern technology like uber and even before, not having a car is probably not a meaningful impediment to his personal mobility. Since he probably isn't commuting 100 miles a day to work like the other nutjobs in this thread it will probably be cheaper than a new car plus gas and insurance. If he can turn a key and put a car into gear then he can operate a smartphone, if he can't then he shouldn't be driving. If smartphone screens are too small get him an LTE enabled tablet. Or just tell him to call you whenever he needs to get somewhere and you can do it for him.

Hah, I couldn't do it for him. I've never in my life used uber and lyft and don't plan to, partly out of principle because I think their business model is poo poo and partly because I think they're stupid.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Something Offal posted:

drat, never gotten a dealer to agree to a solo test drive. Any special trick there or you just asked? Salesperson in the car is a downer and drain on the actual 'test' part of the test drive.

A few years ago I showed up at a local dealership to look at a brand new Dodge Challenger R/T, manual transmission The only one they had was the one in the showroom. The salesman backed the car out through the big doors, threw me the keys and said 'don't wreck it.' Their trust in me was the main reason I went back several months later and bought one from them.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
My mom wants to get rid of her huge Lexus SUV (RX350 I think?) and replace it with something smaller, easier to handle and without the crazy levels of tech that she doesn't know how to use. She has her eye on a Mazda CX-5. Those are a decent pick, right?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

CornHolio posted:

My mom wants to get rid of her huge Lexus SUV (RX350 I think?) and replace it with something smaller, easier to handle and without the crazy levels of tech that she doesn't know how to use. She has her eye on a Mazda CX-5. Those are a decent pick, right?

Following up on this, tonight we're going to go look at a couple of cars. A CX-5, which she likes the look of, and a Lexus UX 250H. Fairly far apart, but price isn't an issue for her. She wants something smaller and easier to use than her RX350. She really likes how Lexus treats her, which is why she's looking at another Lexus.

What should I know about these two vehicles before we go drive them?

I'm also hoping to get her to drive a Mercedes (whatever their new smaller CUV is called, I hear it has really good reviews).

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I guess this is the best place for this post, crossposted from AI:

I need some help with a lease you guys

my dad leased a 2019 BMW 330ix last summer here in Indiana. Payments are $500/month and I believe he put $12k down. My mom is on the lease as well.

My dad drove it maybe twice before going to the hospital and he passed away in November. The car has maybe a thousand miles on it.

My mom doesn't want it. She has a new Lexus and enjoys that and the BMW reminds her of dad too much. She wants it gone.

We turned in the BMW to the dealership last night. Gave them the keys and everything. I think we did this prematurely though... I called BMW financial services (who the lease is through) and they told us we have three options:

1. Turn in the car and pay the full remaining balance of the contract (like $12k)
2. Turn in the car and pay a balance based on the current value of the car (I don't really understand this one but it sounds like it's roughly equivalent to 1)
3. Go through a third party website and see if anybody will take over the lease

Has anybody been in this situation? I don't know what the best answer is other than taking the car back into our possession for the time being. She'll still be paying insurance on it (full coverage on a brand new BMW, ugh) but at least she'll have a car to show for paying over $500 a month.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Ultimate Mango posted:

If the lease payment is relatively low, you can try swapalease or similar to see if someone will take it over. Might be better than paying it off or buying it out...

Does anybody have any experience with these? I created an account on leasetrader.com and somebody from the site called me immediately.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I've been thinking about replacing my Challenger, now that it's pushing 75k miles. I love it, it has a big V8 and a 6-speed but I don't drive it in the winter and it's a little cramped on long car rides for my backseat riders.

Wouldn't be until next year at the earliest, maybe even never... but if I did, I'd like to know what I'd buy.

Proposed Budget: Under 40k should do it, I hope. Preferably under 35k.
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Wagon
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, year round, road trips. No towing.
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style) I want something fun to drive while also pleasant to live with. I'd like a manual transmission but I'm aware that's going to be pretty impossible in a modern wagon, so I'm OK letting it go. AWD would be nice, though I'd get snow tires for the winter. I don't care about any kind of autonomous stuff beyond standard cruise control - ideally I wouldn't get any lane detection, radar cruise, or self-driving stuff, but I'm aware it's 2021 and that may be hard to avoid. Basically a fun-to-drive wagon is what I'm looking for. I'm in Indiana by the way.

I have driven a Volvo V90 and it's pretty high on the list. I don't care much for the drivetrain, though. I don't think it was a T5 that I drove, so maybe that would make things better. Still a big fan though, just don't know how they hold up, and there isn't a Volvo dealer near me. Closest one is maybe 60 miles.

I also really like modern Audis. I don't know much about them other than they're pretty, though.

Modern BMWs and Mercedes don't really do anything for me (and I used to be a big BMW fanboy too). I've driven modern BMWs and they're nice enough, so they're not off of the list, just not high.

I drove a Buick Regal TourX and I loved the functionality but it drove like hot garbage. I was really disappointed because I really liked it otherwise.

Anything else I'm missing? Any suggestions out of those? I think the thing that scares me the most out of all of them is the complexity - my Challenger has an iron block fairly low-tech V8 and a manual, and not much else in terms of drivetrain complexity. I feel confident driving it long distances knowing that even for a Dodge, I don't have to worry much about breaking down. I don't feel as confident in any of those other vehicles.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I'm half-assed thinking about replacing my Challenger, and am considering an Audi Allroad. (Not that one, but one kinda like it - same generation). AWD, wagon, reasonably high tech - those are the key things I'm looking for in my next daily driver. Not happening anytime soon (unless something happens to my Challenger) but is there any reason why it would be a terrible idea? I don't know a lot about newer Audis, just horror stories about older ones.

(Also on the short list are Volvo V70s and V90s but they're a lot more money and the nearest dealership is two hours away. There is at least an Audi dealership locally. Still on the list, though.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 10, 2022

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

PCjr sidecar posted:

If you’re thinking about buying a used audi (or volvo) and dealer proximity is something you’re considering, you shouldn’t buy a used audi or volvo.

If it's just a couple of years old and needs either warranty work or recall work, that's where the concern comes in. There are plenty of 'European Car' shops around here and I even trust a couple of them, but they're not going to do warranty work.

The nearest Volvo dealership is 101 miles from my home. There's an Audi dealership literally in town. I do think this is something that should be incorporated into my thinking.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 10, 2022

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

I kind of feel like I need to turn in my AI card now because for the same price, I actually like the Volvo more than that Jaguar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Inner Light posted:

FWIW I have a decent amount of experience with Audi (have owned one for several years and driven several service loaners) and I would recommend them. I do not think the internet wisdom about reliability is much more of an issue than any mainsream brand when you talk 2017+ MY. What is true is that when you will need service, the parts/labor will be ~25-50% more, but if the gods smile upon you it won't be much more often than if you bought a Camry.

Modern Audis are nice and solid, it's a good brand, and their corporate design language is up there with the top of any mainstream make right now. BMW ruined it with the nostrils.

BMW M340i is still probably a more compelling package than an S4, though, even with the nostrils. That's my favorite realistic dream car right now.

I'm used to expensive parts and labor - I drove BMWs for quite awhile and loved them. Did most of the routine maintenance on them myself, though I don't know if I'd want to do that on a newer car.

How annoying are they when it comes to simple maintenance? A friend has a newer BMW and after he replaced the battery he had to take it to the dealership so they could 'program' the battery to his car. Apparently it's a thing. Are Audis similarly annoying or are they more reasonable when it comes to stuff like that? I know a lot of modern cars are going in that direction so I guess I wouldn't be surprised if VAG was leading the charge.