Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

wolrah posted:

Counterpoint: When I was like 8 a friend and I were riding our bikes to my house and I decided to race him. Right at the end of the run I had to cross a 45 MPH road outside of my neighborhood, and while I did check over my shoulder before crossing I apparently waited too long for the traffic coming at me and the traffic coming up from behind caught up. I came within inches of becoming a hood ornament on a county sheriff's cruiser.

Two decades and change later I haven't even come close to getting hit by a car since, so there's at least one example of a stupid kid learning the lesson from having the poo poo scared out of him.

Wow this mimics my story pretty well. The cop even had to run off into the ditch to avoid killing me.

Kids are shockingly stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Breakfast Feud posted:

Do they serve beer there? There's a guy drinking some in the promo but nothing under the drink menu. I can't see how beer and power tools are in any way a good idea to have in the same space.

What is this evil bullshit? Nothing gets done in my garage sans beer.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Also screw cars where you have to drain half the coolant, put half in, mix it up, drain half, put half in, mix it up, drain half, etc., because nobody at the factory thought it was cool to put a plug in for the block.

Either that or I just don't do enough coolant changes to understand what I'm doing wrong.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Oh poo poo I just got it. This is brilliant.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

It's a pretty slick ad.

Thanks, dad.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Darchangel posted:

They're also, like, the smallest ratchet straps you can buy, suitable for tying down motorcycles at most.

The trailer is only full of motorcycles though so it's the perfect solution.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Yeah I've had it happen in a couple of cars, a first gen Neon and an early 90s 328is. It surprises you then... well you fix it. Either you pop the gas pedal back up with your foot while putting it in neutral or just putting it in neutral. You could also use the brakes. Or just turn the car off.

People really need to learn how to be drivers, not steering wheel operators.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

InitialDave posted:

The problem is people are too gentle with their brakes, and cook them, so they're useless.

You need to really lay on the anchors properly right from the get-go.

Not even on the race track. I was at an HPDE over the weekend and everyone seemed to be babying their brakes big-time. People just don't have any idea how hard you can lay on those things.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

IPCRESS posted:

Stuck throttle chat got me thinking about the best (worst) film I think I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9-KxGdGtrU

The whole thing was about 90 minutes long. There was a 'drama' scene in which a baby is being helicoptered out of the car but OH NO AN OVERPASS.

On a related note: If you're a nurse in 1998 and you habitually put on daytime TV for patients who have books and magazines to read, but no remote for the TV, you may technically be a war criminal.

So neutral wasn't an option? They broke the ignition key, okay maybe (but not really) but neutral? DID THEY TALK ABOUT NEUTRAL!??!?!

Edit: The whole movie is on youtube and you made me skim it to find her frantically wiggling the column shifter to no avail. I'm mad now.

Dave Inc. fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 21, 2018

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
I've always remembered to get the distributor back in properly and not out of phase 180, so of course it wouldn't take me several days of troubleshooting, parts replacement and backfires to figure it out.

Also installing fuel pumps has always gone well for me, so I've never had to worry or get angry that my car wouldn't start because I had reversed the polarity on the pump.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

StormDrain posted:

Pop the plug you time on and stuff a glove in the hole. Crank it and when it shoots out that was the compression stroke.

But you see I had done it so well and with so much thought that the distributor couldn't have been out of phase. It had to be something else, it wasn't even worth checking the distributor.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Oh.

OHHHH

A catalytic converter. Wow. I had some crazy ideas going through my head there.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Weird, the only issue I've ever had with shipping has been when I had my operational car transported from Texas to Michigan and it decided it didn't want to start anymore in freezing weather. I knew the starter was on its way out but it just straight died. Thankfully they were able to play with the ramps to get it off.

The other time a nice man and his son transported two of my cars from Texas to South Carolina for $1500 in a closed container. Flawlessly. Guess I'm lucky.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
It's me. I was spraying goof off on old weatherstrip adhesive yesterday and that poo poo flew right back into my eye. Of course I wasn't wearing eye protection, I'm just squirting some poo poo into a parabolic recess what could go wrong. Thank god it's not really that bad, and the SDS just says to rinse it out for fifteen minutes--no doctor's attention required.

I almost always wear eyepro in the garage but... I don't know I guess I'm just loving stupid sometimes.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
I just came up with an awesome idea that I need to patent immediately.

Never mind a spring-loaded breaker bar, while maybe cool in that it would prevent you from over-turning and blowing up your knuckles when a nut broke free, would likely kill somebody if they slipped and let it smack them in the face.

Well it was a neat idea anyway.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Hey the fuse-bolts haven't blown yet, it's operating fine.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

BloodBag posted:

Worst I ever got was trying to push a lawnmower spark plug lead further down the plug because it was slipping off, while the engine was idling. :science:

I was once testing for spark but I didn't have a remote starter hooked up. The plugs were too far to see from where I needed to stand to hold the key so I picked one up, held it against the block and turned the key. I don't know what I expected but it was certainly making sufficient voltage.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Easier to work on from the other side of the head? Just pull the whole dang thing off. I think whatever you do now is going to end in tears and a cylinder full of shavings anyway.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Why does the sheave even go out so far on the shaft? Did they do something to just make it work?

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Bajaha posted:

They are! Due to the relative ease and speed of stealing them due to not necessitating opening the hood, high value / quality, and apparently being a decent grow light for your other enterprise.

Is the latch that easy to break on them? I remember the 996 (and a lot of other VAG vehicles) has the same exact release mechanism and it wasn't ever a theft problem. They were a little finnicky to get back in properly, though, is that what makes them easy to steal? Hey everybody, learn to install headlights!

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Space Gopher posted:

You can accidentally stash a bunch of stuff in an engine bay. Most of the moving parts are fairly well shielded, and things tend to fall into little crevices in non-moving parts or splash shields or whatever. I've definitely found sockets an oil change or two after I've done some work, and once a used car came with a bonus Snap-On mini breaker bar.

Aerospace mechanics are obsessive about tool control. Outside of that, though - there's a reason this multipack of 10mm sockets exists.

I have a pretty good 11mm ratchet that came with an engine replacement in my old S40. Not bad.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

xzzy posted:

Even a modern Subaru bay has a surprising amount of air in it. It's not enough to store a toolbox in there but compared to other cars built in 2018 it seems extravagant.

Like you open a Toyota or Honda hood and you start hunting around for a 4 year old kid to fish stuff out that you dropped.

Volvo S40 T5. The ECU is in the air filter box and the connections are zip tied to it several times. Great little car but man gently caress this engine bay, never worked on anything so difficult and frustrating.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

The Door Frame posted:

I've heard Volvo was one of the worst offenders of "bizarro European engineering", but the entire ECU? Not just the fusebox?

It's the actual ECU.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?336713

Step 3 is disconnecting the ECU harness. Step 14 is removing the hidden torx screw that holds the harness to the airbox. Step 18 is disconnecting the radiator top mounts to give the airbox clearance to be removed.

Step 19 is unbolting the engine mounts and sliding the engine back an inch if you still don't have enough room to pull the box.

It reads worse than it is--only takes about 15 minutes if you can manage to brute force the box out instead of giving it nice, easy clearance--but still. I really liked that car but I absolutely hated working on it.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

"Our ECU is overheating!"

"Yes, Åke, but how will we solve this?"

"I have an idea."

I know an Åke, and this is just the sort of poo poo he would pull.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

BloodBag posted:

It would also appear that in order to change the oil filter cartridge, one also has to go through this rigmarole. Lame.

It would make it easier, but you can get access by just removing the boot on the side of the airbox where it connects to the fresh air intake. I always remember hating that thing, though, because you had to push and turn with a bellows duct against a flexible hose to put it back together, so it was like pushing one rope with another rope.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

The Door Frame posted:

I thought I was the only one, since all of the car shows I watch talk about Allen head screws as though they were just as good, if not better than normal bolts

They're awesome when they're brand new and shiny, or you have great access.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Javid posted:

Crossposting a THING I found whilst working on a vehicle I bought a couple months ago.

Spoiler alert: it contained a resistor and I had to reattach it. At least it's zip tied to something so it's not slapping around in there freely anymore!

I like the wires nearby that are tied in knots for reasons.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

STR posted:

If it's anything like the trailer I had from Penske, you don't have a choice. The front wheel straps are way up front, and there's no way to move them further back. And they're nylon, so you have to check them regularly.

The only attachments on the rear of the trailer I had were chains to wrap around the suspension or axle. They had enough slack that the best case scenario on a twist beam FWD car like mine is the entire axle gets torn off when the car departs.

Every time I've towed with uhaul I've used my own tie-downs in addition to the front straps. It's just not designed right in my opinion; even my 944 loads up the hitch way too much but for my old 911 it's perfectly balanced.

Everyone should just tow 911s I guess.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Cojawfee posted:

Gendered nouns are stupid as hell. How do you determine that a chair is male but a door is female?

I'm learning German. Three genders, and the pronouns change based on the case. Churches are feminine, except when they're near something in which case they're masculine.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Sagebrush posted:

Also, this research is making people take a long hard look at arterial plaque, where it has been noticed before that those same gingivitis-causing bacteria are always found, but everyone until now just kind of shrugged.

If it turns out that not flossing gives you both Alzheimer's disease and heart disease, the dentists are never going to shut up about it

See?! We've always been just as important as those other "doctors"!!!

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Krakkles posted:

Yeah, that may be an implementation or specific issue - the ones I've driven are all started and running before I push the gas. And I say this as someone who tends to aggressively accelerate.

I know what I've run into in a lot of cars that really bugs me is throttle desensitization - I.e., it's drive-by-wire, and they have logic built in that maybe you didn't really mean to push the gas that hard and we're just going to wait a bit or cut the input in half because it's better for gas mileage.

In extreme examples, you can tap your foot (as in, depress and release the accelerator) to the beat of music while the car is moving without changing the speed/acceleration of the vehicle. What you describe kind of sounds more like that, to me, at least.

One of my absolute favorite things about having pre-DBW cars - despite the advantages DBW can confer - is the instantaneous and direct response. I'm pushing the pedal exactly as much as I want, thanks.

My wife had a 2012 Jetta for a while with the laziest DBW. I could jab the throttle all the way to the floor and up and the car wouldn't respond. I never got used to it and abhorred trying to drive it quickly. My '82 911 has a mechanical linkage all the way to the throttle, no cables, and it is an absolute joy to play with--it's like it reads my mind.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Friend just had a minor heart attack and had a stint put in. Feels great. I'd say go for one every few years as a PM task.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Beach Bum posted:

It's not a mechanical failure but there's certainly enough potential here for a disaster. Click for big.

I replied with "Oh gently caress no you are absolutely mental. I wouldn't be within 100 feet of that death contraption."

What in the world? Is he trying to straighten out the frame?

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
That is extremely metal.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Horrible Brain Failures?

There was a fast section of road where I grew up with a nice sweeping 70mph curve with decent visibility. I came around it one night after being gone all day only to discover that they had scarified the asphalt for repaving and left a ton of loose gravel and stone everywhere. I immediately went sideways after hitting it and did a nice 180 before sliding to a halt. Stayed on the road, though, so call it a win?

I was stubborn then, and stupid, this was not my last incident.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Yep, recently replaced two bad 19" wheels on my Alfa. It actually appears that the previous owner did the damage, ground the tires down through imbalance until rotating masses were "balanced" and then sold it the car. I put another 7,000 buttery smooth miles on the car until I replaced the stock run-flats and the wheel balance went hay-wire. Tried to balance them but they were so out of round the wheels were visibly traveling up and down at speed while balance at the steering wheel felt decent.

So combining lovely bent wheel talk with "people don't fix poo poo" talk. There you go.

Though for sure now I avoid potholes like death. Surprisingly the wheels were only $500 each new from the factory.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Acid Reflux posted:

This is less "funny submission" and more "for gently caress's sake please go check your jack stands right now", but -

Harbor Freight Recalls Jack Stands That Could Suddenly Collapse

Heh. Can't be one of the bad ones if you can't read the labels anymore. :smug:

I have eight stands of varying heights but they're all duralast or autocraft so not in the recall but...probably from the same factory.

God damnit I can't wait to move into a house to have a loving lift. Not having a garage is the worst. THE WORST.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Beach Bum posted:

I was subscribed to this channel (probably from one of the AI chat thread YT sub exchanges) but I have only just now started watching some of the videos. As someone who firmly believes automatic transmissions are black magic, this kind of stuff is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiV3cUG2N-o

Is this the guy that writes book times for services?

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

FatCow posted:

After moving from NJ to NC I don't know why anyone in the NE buys a used car in the NE. I have a 2006 Forester and bolts that were tightened in Japan come right off with a 3/8" ratchet.

Yep. I was replacing headers on my 35 year old car for which they sell rigs for drilling out frozen studs. Mine came out by hand. God bless Texas-only ownership. :patriot:

Meanwhile my Ohio based 35 year old car took a sawzall. I could barely identify the nuts on the original exhaust so I just took it out in sections.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Darchangel posted:

Agreed.

edit: touch screens as a primary control system, anyway.

Wasn't the SpaceX dragon capsule going to be decked out with touchscreens? I'm sure that's fine, rockets are known for producing minimal vibrations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

MrOnBicycle posted:

I love how the drivers of cars like that are always super leaned forward and with the seat at its lowest and/or super short.

I'll never understand this. At what point is it comfortable?