Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

You need to add “cyber” in there somewhere, and I think you’re on to something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

fresh_cheese posted:

Tactical Umbrella Road Debris Enhanced Repellent

TURDER?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

Tubing cutter

It just...popped. one piece of it flew under the car somewhere.

Mmmm, there's nothing like quality... and that's nothing like quality.

Wonder how you cast something that badly?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

no, his decision to sell a car with bare metal was

70% first year engineer "stainless steel is the best, make everything out of stainless steel, i don't need to know about any other materials"

10% "if we make it out of stainless steel, no more paint! saves money bing bang boom"

20% "lol back to the future delorean le meme flux capacitor lololo"

Any money saved on not painting it was lost in, you know, using stainless steel and then deciding that it needed to be bulletproof to rounds that no one uses (and arrows!), so know it's like 1/8" thick and weighs 10K pounds...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Some pics were posted with dents that were supposedly from bullets but they were all suspiciously too similar and there was no lead or copper residue anywhere to be found. Something that would be found if you were shooting actual bullets at a piece of metal.

Well we do know it's arrow-proof, thanks to Joe Rogan.
edit: because that's definitely a thing you need in today's world.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

it's intended to show that it's durable in an evocative way, and it's worked because here we are talking about it

it's no different than when they cut a can in half with a ginsu knife, because you totally use your kitchen knives to cut cans in half

e. like it's stupid, of course it is, but it's not that different from something people have been doing in product marketing forever: a stunt to demonstrate how durable/strong/sharp/fast/whatever it is in a memorable way

Well, yes, but the Ginsu thing is just using the tool in a way you normally would, but in the most extreme version, if you follow. I mean, "it's a cutting utensil - here's it cutting things tougher than anything you will ever need to cut!" And part of the Ginsu thing was that it could cut that unreasonable object, and then still be sharp enough to use normally.
The Cybertruck being bulletproof is just flat out stupid, and conveys nothing about how it performs in a way anyone needs. The supposed bullets dented it, so it still dents...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

that's ok, in the future the car's ai will just decide when you probably meant to be in park, reverse, drive, etc.

OK, Elon.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

I want a tiller for steering myself.

Do you really need to steer yourself?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I wonder if maybe the engine seized at speed and did that rather than exploding the transmission?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I really hate those cheap aftermarket wheels. Not only do you lose the airbag if your car had ones but they’re basically sheet tin covered in foam.

Yeah, I briefly had a cheap wheel on my RX-7, and removed it when it bent every time I used it to brace myself getting in or out of the car.
Nope, no thank you.

I believe it was the Hoonigan guys who demonstrated this my basically bending a no-name wheel back and forth enough to fatigue fracture it within about 3 minutes.

Leperflesh posted:

no seatbelt
passenger airbag goes off with no passenger
steering wheel comes off
it's a poo poo box driven at speed by an idiot, guys

Yeah, pretty much.

edit: I love that he pulls the handbrake when getting out. That, and the cell phone going off after he gets out is comedy.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Large Testicles posted:

i've seen it a handful of times before and never really watched the hoonigans so i'm guessing that was a kinda common video

May have been someone else, but I know it was a cheap versus brand-name thing building a race (or "race") car.

This is not the one, but Donut did one as part of a series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq8ItdWKvEQ&t=152s
(about 2:35 if it doesn't start there. The previous part was knockoff wheels, next is racing gloves.)

This one is great, because he wasn't trying to find out, but did anyway:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBYmtMJ-ylk&t=262s
4:22 - he's trying to get the hub adapter to break loose to change to an actual quality wheel. Note that when they show the wheel afterward that the ends of the spokes appear to be anodized, meaning the spokes were never welded to the ring.

edit: I'd also like to note that these idiots have apparently never used a steering wheel puller - or at least didn't have one available.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 27, 2024

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

PhotoKirk posted:

Ever watched the videos from Australia where the cops get super-duper-excited about catching a driver who has modified a car?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt6eCFGYR5A

Nothing like giving cops more arbitrary laws to enforce on a whim...

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/03/mad-max-interceptor-replica-deemed-cool-looking-but-unsafe-by-the-australian-police/

Yeah, ironically, the Interceptor, a cop car, has never been legal in Australia.
It's always amused me that blowers through the hood and zoomies are completely illegal on the street in Oz - and how many cars still do it.

I'm not thrilled that Texas is removing the safety inspection requirement in 2025. There's enough junk on the road as is.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Platystemon posted:

The front fell off.

No more cardboard or cardboard derivatives.

It looks like they completely failed to fully impregnate the glass cloth/mat.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Pull out game good af.

LOL

Platystemon posted:

The OEM charges eight thousand dollars for a replacement.

🤣

Clearly worth it for the quality of OEM. Oh, wait.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

They're cops. They can park anywhere they want. Who's going to ticket them.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

What is it about spray foam that makes people think it's some sort of heat resistant structural magical material?

CommieGIR posted:

Even with my worst failure, I'd never go for spray foam. It just seems to add to the work than remove or even delay.

Definitely. The penalty for it not working (having to remove and clean that ridiculous poo poo up. Holy poo poo it is tenacious - which is why Gorilla Glue is just a very low expanding form of it.) outweighs the cost of just doing it right in the first place.

The Door Frame posted:

The difference between applying "enough spray foam" and aplying "way too much spray foam" is smaller than I'd want for anything that isn't insulation

It's amazingly difficult to judge how much it will expand, and where.

Even without sound I can hear that right-side rear tire howling.

Cage posted:

So another $240 and he could've had a new wheel?

Yeah, I'm reading that to the effect that he charged someone almost a $1K for a weld that I would be embarrassed to publish. And for which he will get sued when the wheel comes apart again. Did he even take the tire off to do this?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Phanatic posted:

It's a joke page with a lot of posts that are fodder for this thread.

Oh thank god.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

No. 6 posted:

Love to sticker-bomb my windscreen

You'll note the ironic "I Can't See poo poo" sticker.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Now it's just normal for companies to set aside the money they think they'd need to pay out for lawsuits and invest it ahead of time so they come out ahead.

Fasttrack to the Cyberpunk dystopia.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

When compressor turbines go, they go hard.

Those bad boys a spinning something fierce at anything above idle.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

In the video he shows when the engine broke free from the dyno, it revved to 12,000 rpm. The impeller rated for 65,000 rpm spun up to over 100,000.

Jesus. I didn't have a moment to watch the video until now.
So, I don't know about you, but I would have at least had a sheet of diamond plate if not steel between me and the console, and laminated safety glass or polycarbonate in the window. Definitely not plain plate glass.

So, I'm only partway through the video. Did the dyno break, which let the engine over-rev? I can see that the pillow-block broke, as well as all the flywheel bolts. Impressive carnage.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

It is to help some stupid people.

Can they perhaps help the stupid people who think DRLs + always-on dash lighting means their lights are on when they aren't? Why in the gently caress does any car with always-on light up gauges not have automatic headlights?
I suspect that most of them do, and the idiot driver managed to turn them to manual off.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

I hate that it became legal to drive with headlights/DRLs and rear lights off here in Europe. Lights are not just for visibility, they're also to let the surrounding know that the vehicle is active.

WAT.
:psyduck:

The Door Frame posted:

Those energy efficient LED's pull almost 3% of 1 horsepower in alternator draw, and that extra gallon of gas used per ~10k miles is really going to add up if the car runs continuously for a century or so :ignorance:

Whoever at GM decided that reverse lights should stay on for a minute after the car is turned off should be taken out back behind the shed. I understand that the extra illumination is nice if you're somewhere with bad lighting, but that should be an optional setting or just an extra set of lights that don't indicate a car is going to move backwards

They also go on when the car is unlocked remotely - leaving you sitting there waiting for someone to back out who isn't even in the car yet. gently caress that bullshit.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ruflux posted:

This also has the "fun" side effect that clueless drivers will just leave their headlights in the off position on DRLs even during inclement weather because it's not dark enough that they need headlights and the instrument cluster and center console are illuminated anyway. But their taillights are not on, and in bad enough weather (powdery snow on the roads for example) they will become completely invisible to people driving behind them. In the exact conditions in which you might need to suddenly come to a complete halt due to limited visibility and increased potential for accidents or pileups or whatever to catch you off-guard.

Yeah, that's the kind of stuff I was complaining about in another thread. Pretty regularly get folks after dark here in Texas with only DRLs on. Hondas at least half the time.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Thank gently caress. It really only became a problem when LED DRLs became bright enough to be mistaken for (bad) headlights, I think.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Unless the power for the sensor for the headlights is physically switched off by setting the headlights to off, the car should know that it is dark and the headlights are off. When it detects that, it should put a "headlights off" symbol on the dash.

Why, so they can ignore that light along with the TPMS, seatbelt, and check engine lights?

ihop posted:

Our Outback is downright schizophrenic in this regard. I think it's tied to the various driver profiles but I have no idea. Sometimes the radio plays until you open the door, sometimes it keeps playing after you close it again. Sometimes there's no door chime, sometimes it won't stop until you exit the car (but only when you're trying to load/unload poo poo). If you unclick your seatbelt while the vehicle is moving it punishes you with an alarm that won't stop until you turn the car off and open the door, regardless of what you do with the seatbelt or transmission.

I am fully sick of seatbelt warnings that act like you are killing a thousand puppies.
gently caress you, I'm adult and can choose when to wear it (I always do on the road, but sometimes you're just moving around a parking lot or something... DINGDINGDINGDINGDING every 60 seconds is amazingly annoying, Ford.)

sleepy.eyes posted:

A lot of parking lot confusion makes sense now...

Yeah, that one was not well thought out. What do reverse lights typically mean, GM?

evobatman posted:

I bought a 2015 BMW 3-series, and it did not shut off the radio until you actually lock the drivers door. It feels very unnatural to get out of the car, close the door and still see the screen on and hear the radio playing.

A bluetooth adapter and a few minutes with a coding app later, and the car now shuts off the radio when you open the drivers door... most of the time.

That seems ill advised on BMW's part, given the history of their electronics tending to do their own thing as the mood takes them. I'm specifically remembering the 2000s 7-series, as I recall, that had amazing issues with power options either failing to work, only working partially, or failing to turn off, randomly. Like the head unit failing to turn off, and the power operated truck failing to open fully, if at all.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Now imagine you have a brother in law who just doesn't want to wear a seat belt.

They make latches without a belt that plug into the socket to make it shut up. Supposedly for cops who don't want to wear a seatbelt for either fitment issues over gear, or the need to exit the car quickly (which they will also do in the case of an accident, unwillingly...)

evobatman posted:

Turning the car off twice, a perfectly normal thing. I restarted it ONCE and decided this wasn't for me.

It's only getting worse.

https://www.carthrottle.com/news/ignition-modern-bmw-doesnt-turn-until-you-lock-it-and-i-dont-get-why

I have cars that won't let you have the keys until you turn them off all the way. I'm OK with that.
except for the AE86, on which the key - singular- is so worn it almost falls out regardless of key position. It took me a week to figure out why the radio was staying on. It's because it's a manual, and you have to do the extra thing to actually get the key to "off", and I was just going to accessory and removing the key.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

`Nemesis posted:

impending

That's impressive. What are the chunks at the second set of tracks?

Closest I've come was to catch the drain plug just right on a gutter going into a driveway on the oilpan in my Cutlass and crack the weld, when I had too low, too soft front springs on it.
Normally, the massive front crossmember prevents that, but I got it at just the right angle, apparently. Came back out to see a line of oil coming downhill from my car. Topped up the oil and drove the mile back home right quick. Ended up disassembling the entire front end of the car to clean and paint, since I had to take the engine out to get the new pan on. Might as well, when you're in there, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

`Nemesis posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CyberStuck/s/Evy3voCDtn

Brand new Cybertruck being driven home for the first time has the windshield break, apprently due to a defect, and Tesla wants $2300 to replace it

That's insane, but at the same time, they bought a Cybertruck...