Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

autophreak posted:

He's lucky that bumper didn't just break at the hook. Ive seen those tow straps slingshot back into someone.

They shouldn't have even been using tow straps in the first place. That's a job for a loving recovery strap. You need to not have any goddamn metal chunks at the end and for the strap to have some elasticity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

PainterofCrap posted:

That is one lucky bastard.

There's a radio psychologist, Dan Gottlieb, on NPR in Philadelphia. Same thing happened to him on the Schuylkill Expressway a couple decades ago. Killed his wife & paralyzed him from mid-chest down. Think it messed up one of his kids too.

When I saw what that truck tire did I was thinking "gently caress, maybe riding a motorcycle around a bunch of horribly-maintained big-rigs is a really lovely idea". However, judging about the amount of damage it did to that car as well as hearing about Dan Gottlieb, I guess there's really nothing you can do when a semi-truck wheel comes bounding your way, car or not. :smith:

cursedshitbox posted:

That second photo looks like his rear end sucked up part of the seat cushion.

If i was driving by that accident and saw that man with a pants full of his own poo poo and a seat cushion up his rear end, I wouldn't say a goddamned thing about it. I think there are some things in this world that are scary enough to justify a pants-making GBS threads, and this is clearly one of them. :stare:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
They've been talking about this elevated bus since 2010 if I recall correctly. I thought it was vaporware, some stupid poo poo to make it look like someone cared about fixing problems, kind of like how people talk up mag lev trains in the US solving city-to-city transit issues back in 1995 or whatever. gently caress, we must have had a mag-lev train taking you from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh right around the corner for about 10 years in PA, in a "It's totally gonna happen, guys" kind of way.

Here the Chinese actually built their thing, and goddamn I can't wait until some pube who can't stay in his/her lane is blocking the "bus" and causing a whole litany of issues.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Something is either going to crash into it or catch on fire underneath it...

Either that or this motherfucker shows up and the bus meets its match.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

DELETED posted:

The first time you have to slam on the brakes in an icy parking lot to avoid your typical oblivious driver backing out of a spot is amazing

I remember being the weird-as-hell evangelist about snow tires after I bought them for my Fit. I wasn't paying attention as well as I should have on a snowy commute to work in PA, and woke up to realize the car in front of me was at a dead stop on a 4 lane road. Slammed on the brakes, stopped about 5 feet from the bumper in front of me. I figured I would have paid $500 for my insurance deductible (as well as inflated rates thereafter) so the snow tires paid themselves off in that very moment that day.

Snow tires own, if you live North of VA, 4/20 use snow tires every day winter.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Imagine that little thing pushing around the massive hulk that is the Ram 1500 as late as 2012. :gonk:

Seriously, base-model trucks are crazy weak but this took the cake. Chevy had the kindness to put engines with more than 4 liters of displacement in their trucks, and Ford had their 302 HP V-6 from the Mustang in their base F-150 in 2011.

Chrysler asked waaay too much of that little turd.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

eddiewalker posted:

How close did I get to witnessing a horrible failure on the interstate today?

That looks like a U-Haul trailer and probably a U-Haul trailer hitch install. Something tells me that someone forgot to tighten down the ball on the customer's trailer. :stonk:

A couple good bumps and we'd see what those safety chains were worth.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

Girlfriend drives a crew cab short bed Tacoma. It's a great daily driver (MPG aside) but isn't a very good truck and we end up using mine anytime we want to do anything more than hauling a couple bags of trash to the dump.

Lots of these newer short-bed trucks are becoming slightly less functional "masculine minivans", especIally considering 9/10ths of them on the road today will never haul anything more substantial than a U-Haul sport trailer or 4 bags of mulch. Both things a minivan could do without noticing, and the minivan can fit an extra 2 kids in it.

Honda makes a minivan with a truck bed, and it's selling pretty well!

I wouldn't call it a design or mechanical failure, but maybe a lapse in sanity like a 2x4 as a jack stand.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Computer viking posted:

From the imgur discussion: The winemaker who owned the vines made this afterwards: https://www.vivino.com/wineries/louis-hauller/wines/alsace-cuvee-petter-solberg-gewurztraminer-2012

I hate Gewurtztraminer but I'd buy that for the story alone. :haw:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Colostomy Bag posted:

I like how ford decided combining a phillips screw with loctite to hold on a TPS was a good idea.

If I had connections in the industry I’d love to make a book called “Who thought this was a good idea, again?” and fill it with stories behind the loctite’d TPS sensors, Jeep’s pre-corroded windshield screws on wranglers and GM’s penchant for placing oil filters right above k-members.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Pepperoneedy posted:

This is going back a couple of pages but my grandfather was eating his company's commissary with a former Thiokol engineer when Challenger blew up. He said the guy slammed his fist on the table and just shouted, "the loving o-rings!"

Everybody at Thiokol knew it was only a matter of time before it would happen.

The Challenger explosion was in an ethics class that was part of our standard curriculum at school, especially with engineering students. If some dumb-poo poo businessman is pressuring you to act in a way that threatens lives, you tell them to gently caress off or make them strap their asses in instead.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Every time I hear about the new Wrangler being the “best Jeep ever” I always remember they have to score Wranglers in relation to other Wranglers as they pale in comparison to every other vehicle out there except for very specific off-road conditions.

I know that Jeep can strap the letters “Wrangler” to a chuck wagon with a mid-2000’s motor and have it sell like hotcakes, but goddamn they could at least put a little effort into the safety stuff.

Edit:

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I went to the last bastion of vocational courses in high school. ... Two years after I left they: shuttered most of the video stuff, took out most of the welding gear, shut down the restaurant, sold the entire maker shop, and decided not to continue on with the trade certification/placement programs. Bastards.

Yeah the destruction of VoTech schools in this nation is a truly Horrible American Societal Failure. My uncle taught me how to do basic automotive, wiring, HVAC and plumbing poo poo and it’s a priceless education that has probably saved me thousands upon thousands of dollars in simple home and car repairs. No wonder the millennials and next generations of kids can’t afford any basic luxuries or vacations - they have no experience making or fixing anything for themselves and blow all their money on staying alive.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 9, 2018

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Zopotantor posted:

The genitive of "die" being "der" doesn’t make it a masculine pronoun.

That being said, German is insane says the native speaker. I'm currently trying out Turkish on Duolingo, it’s basically the exact opposite. Rules without exceptions, how do they do it?

You guys have 16 different ways to say the word “the” depending on the randomly-assigned genders for nouns, all other languages are civil and well thought-out compared to German :v: says the American who was too dumb to learn your language. Also nobody uses Genitiv, nobody.

Nominativ, Akkusativ und Dativ haunt my loving dreams.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Exactly what it looked like to me (after watching 3 or 4 times). The rear wheel is coming lose as it goes up the trailer, the brake line pops and the system loses pressure, then things go downhill quickly.

Were TJ axles c-clips?

Dana 35c’s, standard on all YJs and TJs (I think you had to buy some additional package to get the rear 44 on the TJ). The worst Jeep axle ever. :haw:

As soon as I saw the shaft pull out with the wheel I knew it was a 35c. They’re rather infamous for that.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Two pistons disappear and the cylinder head survived. :stare: That’s pretty incredible.

Edit: Well, one survived at least. The other is questionable.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 31, 2019

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

started laughing hysterically when it clicked

This is definitely staged but, damnit, I want to believe.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

ili posted:

Gotta make sure you get the waterproof ones but hey.

What do dildos and my brake lines have in common?

they both need flared ends to be safe

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Couldn't watch with audio, did he know that was gonna happen?

I mean there couldn't be any car nerd out there that would be ignorant of how flimsy the Prius is, right?

He didn’t seem overly concerned with blowing it up from a financial standpoint but once it grenades he was lamenting that he chose to do this a few hours before a flight. He claims he got less than a second of nitrous before the block cleaved off its oil filter and sent block chunks scattering, and now I’m wondering what kind of shot he sent in there.

Guessing that it was one of those el-cheap-o 75 HP dry shots and some pretty solid detonation setting a con-rod free.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Hermaphrodite posted:

GM had a long history of using Hurst shifters as oem, probably starting with the GTO in 1964. Olds took it a slight step further by naming a few cars "Hurst/Olds" as a special package. The Lightning Rod shifter was designed to emulate a Lenco transmission that was used in Pro Stock drag racing at the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zx54zjDU4s&t=136s

Holy poo poo, the way all 3 shifters blast backwards during launch. :doit:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Its really weird that any company would want to DISTANCE themselves from Mercedes Benz when using their engines, since Mercedes diesels are basically the kings of longevity.

Watching through it, it feels more like the aviation community is packed with the same old guys who would rather go with the devil they knew than the devil they don't, combined with companies not understanding how the FAA wants a tear-down to proceed. Something tells me that with the eroding middle class and one of those dual-engine diesel planes starting at a cool million freakin dollars, the only people operating these things will be flight schools full of said old guys.

The general aviation industry seems (to me) like what would happen if every single new car sold in America was sold to the same grandpa or uncle that thinks that motors peaked with the 350 SBC running a 4-barrel, and the EPA didn't give two shits either way.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
It's been a long-rear end time since I've been to aviation school (I'm a dropout for various reasons) but I remember that a ton of the people making decisions there were old. Doesn't really surprise me that old men are resistant to any sort of change and look at anything new as a problem.

kastein posted:

Pretty much. That and if GM was building all the airplanes but learned the wrong lesson from the ht4100 debacle: never build anything new ever, keep building those carbed 350s

Honestly, if the EPA and CARB hadn't effectively legislated the carburetor to death, America would still be rolling around with 250HP 4-barrel gassers that get single-digit fuel economy in trucks (and we'd be paying $50k for them to boot).

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Seeing the number of people driving around my area with the front ends of their underbody trays dragging on the ground, it doesn’t surprise me at all that someone drove their F-150 until the insulation caused the driveshaft to split.

um excuse me posted:

I am baffled how insulation does that to a driveshaft.

I hope you’ve never had the displeasure of whacking your hand off that sort of insulation because that poo poo is sharp.

Also your pun made me groan out loud so good job.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Arrath posted:

That is some awesome carnage.

Yeah, looking at the broken rim around the top of the oil pan gave me pause to the point I didn’t notice his shirt visible behind the 9 inch hole in the bottom of the pan. :stare: I mean, if you’re gonna go out, go big.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Zero One posted:

That's not what I meant when I said you should chrome your wheels!

Not gonna lie, I thought someone had put a weird chrome motorcycle fender under their car's fender as a fashion thing. Now that I realize what that is, I wish that was true.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

BlackMK4 posted:

Broke another Subaru BRZ 6spd transmission, 4th again. Yay.

I think these are part of the synchronizer hub

Do you track the BRZ or is this something like a known issue?

I’ve seen multiple transmissions through a Chrysler 300C but that was in their darkest hour when they couldn’t cobble together an automatic that wouldn’t explode in a week thanks to craptacular engineering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

The Door Frame posted:

And it's harder to get taken advantage of when a shop tries to take you for a ride if you already have an idea of how much money and time a repair should take

Had this happen to me with a state inspection and a (mother fuckin’) Ford Ranger. I knew the front driver’s bearings were on their way out so it didn’t surprise me at all when it failed inspection. The shop called and started talking about a $500 to replace the bearings when I told him to just button the truck up and I’d do it myself at home. He told me “I already have the truck torn apart” and I told him I couldn’t afford the $500 and that he should’ve called for authorization before ripping into the hub.

After a 5 minute negotiation on the phone and me looking up prices on RockAuto I had the bearing job done for $160 including parts, which felt honestly super fair at like $70-something an hour for labor (yay 2009 prices). I’d have to have gone to a machine shop to get the races pressed out regardless, so whatever.

Knowing the tiniest bit about vehicle components really gives you that advantage.