Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

lazer_chicken posted:

90's domestic autoboxes are the worst. The A4LD in our '91 explorer exploded at 40k. I really don't understand it, either. The old 2 and 3 speed autos were rock-solid, and as soon as they added gear #4 they all went to poo poo.

That's true. My big Ford has a C6, and while it's not the world's best transmission, it IS reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Sponge! posted:

Keeping along with the hot-bulb engine theme, I found this in the youtube thread. Not a horrible mechanical failure, but its totally AI and :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCSMOXcTMYQ

This is the most awesome thing.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

M4rg4r1ne posted:

Will them Duke boys be able to get back to the farm with the deed before before Roscoe forecloses on it? We'll find out after these messages.

The best caption.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

More of a horrible aerodynamic failure. This is bird strike 18 for my truck.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

MATLAB 1988 posted:

There's definitely a 'bulletproof' myth about old cars that pops up on car blogs and forums. Sure, a Mercedes or Volvo 240 will run forever, but does anyone mention all the weekends spent wrenching, reading cryptic forums and the thousands of dollars for that to happen? I guess it's similar to when someone looks at an insanely difficult project car and thinks 'that's an easy fix.'

W124 build quality was pretty good for the early 80's, but the car came from the factory riddled with expensive and really stupid flaws caused by German engineerink hubris or something. And all of them on the road today need a rolling restoration. There are a few reasons to buy an elderly Mercedes-Benz, but safety, reliability and low costs aren't any of them.

I am literally buying a 26 year old Mercedes 300 on Saturday in order to drive long distances. It's in pretty good shape!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Those big rear end pieces of cottonwood are a bitch. I've done enough of them that I'd do the same thing. Those guys have to be from around here.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Normally we reserve the finger for ez-out work, but in this case the photo is the culmination of 3 hours of work.

The strut broke internally, which in itself wasn't really the problem. The problem was that the top nut would release no matter what. No matter the tool or combination of tools, no release on it. So I cut the strut and ground flat spots on the shaft afterwards so I could stick it in a vice and turn it, eventually getting off the nut and salvaging what parts I needed.

It was only later that it occurred to me that using a sawzall inside a spring compressor may not have been the brightest idea.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

"Stolen Viper found in parking lot stripped"

No doubt to feed the burgeoning market for fiberglass fenders and bumpers. :saddowns:

Work on the Supperleggera has begun, I see.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

My hand tools are all Craftsman because my father used Craftsman and so did his father before him etc. etc. and they've been good.

But my Harbor Freight Sawzall, floorjack, engine hoist, jackstands, etc. etc. have been holding up for years and years of shop and race abuse. I really have nothing negative to say about those things.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Godholio posted:

How the gently caress? I got a paperclip stuck in a tire and every time it scratched my fender I could hear something. It drove me nuts after about 1/4 of a mile and I pulled over to figure it out (and was mildly annoyed, because seriously a loving paperclip?).

I've got a little collection on my desk at work of the things I've picked up in my tires on my commute. Among the usual collection of roofing nails and drywall screws are a 1/4 20 bolt with 2 nuts, a 10mm box wrench, a total of 6 hand forged nails from the late 1800s, two railroad spikes, and a horseshoe.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Pony Express Trail. :clint:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

And we were seriously considering a new Golf for our next family car. Welp, back to Japan!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Slavvy posted:

You wish. I'd kill for an AE100 series corolla but brand new. 4AFE, manual trans, 500,000km of trouble free motoring. Bliss.

Truly some dreams are just so fantastical......

:angel:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Plinkey posted:

Right there with ya buddy.

My U-Joints have always looked like this when I've changed them. How else are you supposed to know it's time to change them?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

wolrah posted:

Didn't know about this so I went searching.

:eyepop:

While this is actually not a bad system, in that it works perfectly well and has no issues, I'm glad that my W124 wagon is a 2WD and so has normal springs up front. It's not the spring setup that worries me - it's the halfshafts running through the oilpan that I don't trust.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

CharlesM posted:

Search for "household hazardous waste" + name of your city.

I tried that when I dug up the radium containing spigot from my backyard. Nobody would take it, though, so I just put it on the windowsill in my garage as a decoration.

From one of these:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Absolutely on the engine noise. When you're driving one it feels like you've stuck your head next to a front end loader's engine bay.

It is important that everyone understands this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePvi8w22ZqI

I mean, the engine is a good engine. But it's pretty loud.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

So, there not being hail out here, where does one buy these magical perfect hail damaged cars?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Genius, thanks!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

stevewm posted:

I once vaporized a screwdriver...

I did that once, using a screwdriver to jump the starter contacts on a caterpillar DP-40.

And there was that time I dropped the box wrench on the fully charged and unprotected ultracapacitor, resulting in the wrench welding itself to both posts. That was an exciting day.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Nothing good about 16R20s.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

um excuse me posted:

A bung is definitely a recommended load bearing interface.

As a boiler and pressure vessel inspector, I've gotta say: that's not optimal.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Heh, my HF jack stands are 20 years old, the recall doesn't effect me....

Hmmmm........

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

kastein posted:

Turns out pinion bearings really prefer it if you keep the oil topped up

That's a spicy pumpkin.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

BitBasher posted:

Driving around Vegas...

Oh hay, that guy lives in my neighborhood! I see him at Tacos Tijuana sometimes. His vantruck is a cool vantruck.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I think it's fair to say that I am the most liberal and pc poster in this thread, if not this forum. And I for one still love to watch the AvE videos. Sure, his schtick is unenlightened and regressive as hell. But it's also tongue in cheek and hilarious.

Like, everyone should remember that there's a difference between being non PC because you're a caveman versus knowingly trying to be transgressive. Hell, if we couldn't be transgressive on purpose, there wouldn't even be such a thing as punk rock.

My liberal commie rear end is gonna keep watching AvE.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

chrisgt posted:

Almost every aftermarket fan clutch is a pile of poo poo, it's pretty much always better to try and rebuild your OEM part or just replace it with OEM. I have never, ever had good luck with any brand of aftermarket fan clutch.

The best aftermarket fan clutch is an electric fan mod with new radiator.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

kastein posted:

Those really don't move as much air as people think, it's usually a downgrade from the factory fan clutch honestly, despite the marketing to the contrary.

I've never had an issue, on everything from racing camaros and Ford pickups with 460s to little cars with 1.5 litres of displacement in the hot hot desert.

Having a properly big radiator from Be Cool or someone helps tho.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

mischief posted:

50 cal is hilariously fun, you just have to find a place to shoot them.
I can't imagine 20 mm has many ranges that allow it but I would be first in line if I found one.

You can do that at Big Sandy.

But agreed that guns are stupid and dumb and we should quit talking about them in this thread.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

In Phoenix, all the roadside bus stops have the asphalt by the curb rippled outwards like a wave of lava, presumably from buses standing there repeatedly on hot days.

That's more an issue with asphalt liquidity though. It's in issue in several southwest cities.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

How many impact wrench dakka-dakka-dakkas is that? I can never remember the conversion.

About 9-10, depending on air pressure.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Wouldn't have happened if it had been properly disposed of in the ocean.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

As a real life boiler inspector, please let me emphasize that you should not, ever, no matter what, gently caress around with steam. I wouldn't be caught anywhere near one of those kettles until it's been gone over inside and out and been given a clean bill of health by a commissioned inspector.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The biking to work thing is great but doesn't work if you have to wear a suit and don't have a place to clean up and change at the office. I mean I guess you could make it work if you lived in Oxford or something, but it's not tenable in the American Southwest.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

MRC48B posted:

It was the heat exchanger for a domestic hot water boiler.

More info necessary. Boiler size?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I have rear drums in my Mazda2. Someday I'll upgrade to the Fiesta ST discs all around, but with the upgrade I did to the fronts already it's not really necessary. I can already do a stoppie.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Darchangel posted:

I want to see that.

It's...not as impressive as you might think. Just a little chattering from the front wheels under abs, rears pick up just an inch or so. I reinstalled the back seat and it helped a little.

To be clear, stoppies are a suboptimal condition in your daily driver.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

That was a shovel job, no way around it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah right, can't have engines lasting too long anymore can we, gotta sell more cars

I really wanted a new Maverick but Ford is just bad, I'm better off sticking with Toyotas.

Gotta wait for the Stout then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Really torn between the HMMTT, the 5 ton, and the old cabover. Two of those probably have a 12V92 though which would sell it for me over the multifuel any day.