Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
but only after crying internally for 15 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

incels interlinked posted:

There's a bunch of grade 13 Internal Revenue Agent positions open right now for the IRS's Large Business and International division. One of the few jobs that will hire off the street at that grade level (minimum starting salary $87,252 or more depending on area). If you have business tax experience and are tired of busy season, check it out.

What would you say the odds are for a qualified external candidate (non-veteran) for one of these jobs? I’d prefer not to relocate, so realistically I’m competing for a handful of spots that internals also want. I may also be overestimating the number of people who will even apply!

What happens if I get a spot from the SB/SE posting and then one or two months later get a spot in LB&I? I’d be lucky to have that choice, but it’s frustrating that all of these postings are on different timelines.

I think I need to accept that getting in is more important than getting the perfect role immediately, but they keep adding jobs that are potentially better fits on different interview schedules. I don’t want to piss anyone off, but also don’t want to decline opportunities given how random this process can be.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
Anyone still in the running for the IRS revenue agent positions that opened up in October? Sounds like offers started going out today and may continue into next week.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

SiGmA_X posted:

*7 month* delay?!?!

Yet, here I am still hoping for the privilege of taking a massive pay cut to join the feds! I’ve worked in both public accounting and industry for a while now and I just don’t see myself happily working in that type of setting for another 20+ years, despite my genuine interest in tax as a subject. I had to take a long look at what was valuable to me in a career and commit to the process, as frustrating as it is. Hopefully it works out. It would indeed suck to come away empty handed after so long.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

My professor in college said the IRS is a good job to get.

On the condition that you get a law degree, use that to get a job writing regulations, write a regulation that impacts a very large company (ideally in their favor), and then quit to work for that company/their public accounting firm for six figures as the top expert in that regulation, since you wrote it.

Sounds more like JCT than IRS. I don’t mean to poo poo on big 4 or industry tax. I’ve generally enjoyed both despite their various drawbacks and would undoubtedly make more money if I stayed on that track, and maybe I will depending on how this all plays out. If you like what you’re doing then by all means keep on trucking. Personally I feel that government could be a good fit. I don’t have the same “passion” for business that some of my colleagues do, but they seem happy enough so whatever.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
Public accounting tax: Work a lot. Make some good friends. Mostly smart and motivated people. Insecure overachievers who live to climb the client services ladder so that one day you too can have a vacation home to work remotely from. You will become one of these people, or you won't, and you'll leave.

Industry tax: Work less with less motivated people, which in general could be good. Your boss might be a former big 4 maniac who still lives for client service only the customers are internal now and isn't that awesome whoa cool. If you have enough power you get to sit in meetings and say "No" but management will do it anyway. Hopefully you have a budget and You're the Client Now. RIP if not.

Government tax: You can do things today. You can do things in two weeks. The work is made up and the reviews don't matter.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

Have you considered doing literally anything else with your life? I mean, focusing on tax leads to one of two places; client work forever and ever or a corporate tax/treasury position. So option one you're basically working a customer service position until you die. Have you met customers? They suck. Option 2 you're at least not dealing with clients but now you're dealing with bullshit debt amortization schedules and arbitrary tax deadlines that nobody else in the finance department has any real respect for.

If you're still convinced you want to be an excel monkey computer toucher then consider spending 3-5 miserable borderline alcoholic years in audit filling out checklists before settling into a financial reporting role where you really only work a 40+ hour week whenever a quarter/year close rolls around. Just don't let anyone trick you into taking an internal audit position or joining a start up and you're good.

e: I forgot route 3 which is tax/law, an always in-demand combo that combines the long hours of tax with the crippling debt of a law degree.

I’ll add that after experiencing several years of each of public accounting and corporate tax, I jumped to federal government and am overall very happy and recommend it to all of my tax friends (they don’t believe me and will never apply but alas). If it’s up to me I will never leave.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

Professional acounting positives: crowbar your way into the middle class, no questions asked.

Negatives: Zero job satisfaction as you immerse yourself in endless technocratic bullshit that no one else appreciates or understands, and achieve absolutely nothing with your brief time on earth.

Wow that’s a pretty narrow view of things. It’s actually extremely important that investors know the deferred tax impact of amortization and foreign tax credAHAHAHAHAHAAHA oh god you’re right.

Mush Mushi fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 24, 2020

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

I just entered federal taxation2 which focuses on corporations and I want to kill myself. I understand like every fifth word.

Guess I don't love taxes as much as I thought I did, rip

There’s something I really gotta ask you...it’s why I followed your posting this far. Have you ever... loved taxes? I... I was wondering if even accountants fall in love? Do you think love can bloom, even during busy season?

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
Don’t you dare disparage the fine people at TaxDoctorRelief911Refund not a medical doctor LLC

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
I passed on a couple opportunities like that because I didn’t want to torpedo my relationship with my girlfriend at the time (who is now my fiancé so it was for the best). I do know someone who switched big 4 firms to make that exact move a few years ago and it worked out for them big time when they came back to the states. Good luck!

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
I agree that you didn’t gently caress up at all. Just double check what the education requirements are to be a licensed CPA in your state and have a plan to get those units if you won’t meet them. If you think you might want the CPA license then it’s easier to take care of all of that sooner rather than later. I’ve had friends who started taking the exams only to later realize that they weren’t even eligible to be a CPA. Don’t do that.

My degree did not prepare me for the exams and even if it did there’s no way to retain that amount of information over the course of a degree. I used Becker and Ninja review materials and promptly forgot everything once I passed.

Also, as someone who immediately jumped into a technical consulting based group at a big 4 firm, my advice is not to underestimate the practical things you can learn working in general accounting at your local megacorp. I work with a ton of people who have niche technical knowledge but I wouldn’t trust to run any sort of general accounting program for a business in the real world. Meanwhile, people who started and stayed in corporate accounting are now controllers making more and working less than me.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
The key to getting any accounting job is to specify front and center that you are bilingual. If they ask about it during your interview, you need to say “I speak the language of business” while slowly sliding a piece of paper, face down, across the table with your requested salary. For extra security you can also write Debit knowledge Cr cash. At this point you can give the table a couple quick taps as you get up and leave the room. The number one candidate mistake is not following these steps.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
Unrelated to my last post: IRS hiring over 1000 revenue agents nationwide. These are small business division jobs that start at up to GS-12 depending on education and experience. Large business and international jobs starting at GS-13 should be coming soon.

Working hour flexibility as if you were self-employed, combined with job security, a 40 hour week, and a pension.

https://go.usa.gov/xsPkp

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

I suppose some of the things that made this season bad are unique to me.

For last season I was promoted to "reviewer" or "manager," I'm not sure which. And they were like "you shouldn't actually do any tax returns anymore. You assign them out to staff. Here are the four staff members who work under you." and it took some getting used to, but OK.

For this season from January through the end of March, they were like "hey you're still manager and you're not supposed to do any tax returns. By the way we're taking away three of your staff, they're reassigned. You have the same client load, and you are not allowed to do any of the following: 1) do the returns yourself, 2) assign work to your former staff, or 3) overload your remaining staff. Good luck!"

Brought on two new people at the beginning of the month, and got one of the former staff reassigned back to me. But the workload overhang from three months of literally impossible directives from above has me pretty loving destroyed. The rule I chose to break was 1, but it was too much, I couldn't keep up. I'm getting like, 150-250 emails every day. I'm honestly nearing a complete and total breakdown.

Also not leaving the house for like 14 months is starting to wear on me. I just want to stop working and play MTG Arena all day instead.

This sounds worse than anything I ever had to go through at a Big 4. Survive and get the hell out of there IMO.

Which reminds me: IRS is hiring large business & international agents from the general public again. usajobs.gov, search Internal Revenue Service, then filter by open to public, GS13, and job series 0512. Postings are organized by region. Head over to the federal jobs thread before applying. If you have your CPA and some experience you qualify.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

I think my firm just grew too big, too fast and they weren't able to cope with the growth or manage it properly.

OH AND ALSO we got a new CRM that has many broken features and we implemented it in February.

I've already applied to the IRS and today I spoke to a recruiter at another remote tax prep company.

Funny thing is someone tried to poach me in January and I was like "Thank you, but I'm happy where I am now :)"

Unless you applied literally earlier today these postings are all new, and whatever happened with any other applications doesn’t matter because the federal hiring process is really dumb. Every application could be the one that works out.

One of the benefits of working at an accounting firm should be...like...it’s not also a startup. Unless you have equity.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
Yeah every application is it’s own little silo and no one in HR involved with your other applications will know about any other applications — just the specific one they are assigned to. LB&I just goes off of the application and resume to select for interviews. SBSE uses the assessment. They won’t even be aware that you took the assessment for the other job. They accidentally hired me three times in the span of like 3 months and I had to keep quitting and re-joining because each subsequent offer was better than the one before lol.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
Yes there is a number where the lifetime interest on a hypothetical mortgage equals the income taxes paid on hypothetical gains, and you could probably work out a rough tax cost X for reducing mortgage interest by Y. But I really don’t see how this is helpful information. As someone else already pointed out, what matters is the shift in your portfolio and the rate of return on real estate vs other investments, which no one knows for certain.

If we’re actually talking about crypto gains then my accountant answer is holy poo poo buy the house and be happy.

Mush Mushi fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 13, 2021

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

Blotto_Otter posted:

All the big firms' guidance says this because they actually read the standards and under GAAP (and I think IFRS too) cryptocurrencies don't meet any of the definitions for financial assets that should be booked at fair value, so by default "intangibles" is the only bucket they fit in. This will definitely not lead to a hilarious Tesla Motors 10-Q/K (a PwC audit client!) the moment bitcoin has another price crash.

Who is PwC to question the Master of Coin :smug:

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
I just read a story on CNBC about Jim Cramer paying off his mortgage with crypto gains. I can’t believe he’s in the thread.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Something that occurred to me: how do you quit? I’m resigning today for a new job at another firm, and I guess I just email the partners?

It’s really up to you. Everyone will know soon enough regardless. I think I let the partner that I was working with the most know and then went through HR. I was going to say it’s fun to go around telling people 1:1 just to see their reactions, but it probably wouldn’t feel the same over Zoom. Shame.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
It might just be a whipsaw of post-vacation blues combined with pandemic isolation, but in a way I actually miss working at my old big 4. Yes, it engulfed my life to the extent that my friends, lovers, and colleagues all worked for the firm, but having all of that on autopilot was nice. I thought I had made some lifelong relationships but they only lasted a year or two after I left. I think I just described a cult?

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
Does a 962 election get you the effective 10.5% GILTI rate plus limited FTC on the 70k (but based on the 30k of post NOL foreign earnings)? I haven’t worked with GILTI in a while but that seems not horrible if at least consistent with the spirit of mildly punishing un-American earnings.

You’re safe here, but word on the street is that NOL carryforwards are for bad people anyways.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
Yeah. It’s a funny line to randomly draw given all of the stuff in TCJA.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

Nea posted:

I have two more semesters after this one left I believe, so two summers. I haven't been able to look for an internship this semester because frankly I've been in a huge funk mentally and passing my classes has used up all of my powers. Not to mention i don't have any interview clothes that fit right now on account of being a big gal and then gaining some weight last year.

Am I like, screwed for being able to get a job if I can't nail down an internship? My ideal path is working for the IRS or any other govt agency with a good union doing accounting rather than entering the private sector or getting a CPA.

I think it’s really hard to screw yourself out of an accounting career right out of school unless you are gunning for a specific position at a national level firm or like a finance development program at a F500, but that doesn’t sound like the case. You might have to hustle a bit to get your foot in the door somewhere, but you won’t be screwed.

If you’re interested in the IRS you should really check out the federal employment / USA jobs thread here. It’s a great resource. Federal hiring can be unpredictable, putting it nicely. That said, the IRS just got a bunch of funding and is expecting to hire a lot.

Even if you actively don’t want to be a CPA, you could still look for positions in public accounting and possibly get your EA credential. This could be a means to an end as far as getting on the revenue agent ladder with the IRS and also hedges the risk that the federal hiring process doesn’t work out right out of school.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

Nea posted:

I had to do one (1) business tax return for a class, in a group, and felt like completely breaking down for most of the last week. i'm starting to understand why no one who goes into tax seems happy.

As someone who has worked in public accounting, industry, and gov, I think the happiest tax people are those committed to the public accounting grindset. It’s still a shitshow but at least it’s our shitshow.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

heated game moment posted:

I'm a CPA with almost 15 years of IRS experience at various mid-to high level positions. My current total compensation is close to $200K. Earlier this year I was testing the waters after a friend of mine in public went from a manager role making $120K to $350K a year in her specialty tax area at a non-public firm. The only call I've gotten was for a contract job with no benefits paying $22 an hour.

There are jobs out there but most of them aren't going to pay enough to hire me away, and the hiring system itself is incredibly broken.

Where does one pull 350k in specialty tax outside of public accounting? That’s cool.

I’m a GS14 revenue agent with CPA and big 4 experience. Always figured I could jump back into something tax controversy adjacent if I for some reason wanted back in on the grind. What were you looking for?

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Not sure what that would even look like haha. I'm a mid level finance guy in a huge organization and I just hate it and want to do something very different but I'm in my late 30s and don't have the financial flexibility to go back to school and not work for a few years. I literally want to do anything but accounting/finance for the rest of my life.

Just Learn To Code Bro is basically a meme at this point, but historically tech is a viable path away from pure accounting and finance without going back for a degree and with comparable comp. There are a ton of resources available for self learning, depending on what you want to learn. The tech job market is in the dump for the foreseeable future, but at least you are gainfully employed now and do things on your terms. Learning some combination of SQL, python, and data visualization could also lead to some more stimulating work within your current org. You never know.

I have to say though, my happiness in every job I’ve ever had was determined by the attitudes of my coworkers and the general vibes of the organization, not necessarily what I was doing day to day.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

mcmagic posted:

i don't want to be a midlevel office guy anymore. thats the main issue so i think the other jobs you'd have in mind wouldn't be any better. I'm on the industry side though, not public accounting.

Mid-career ennui is pretty common, but you must’ve chosen the “become a mid level office guy” major for a reason at some point.

I hear cops get good overtime. Only kinda kidding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
Do you know for sure that it’s a seasonal role? Do they do any bookkeeping or other work year round or only a tax shop? Unless you’ve been gunning for the CPA and a specific type of role for the past 4 years, just learn as much as you can and get a good reference out of it if nothing else. For what it’s worth I started out in international tax and I do have some regrets about not getting a wide variety of generalist experience early in my career.

Try not to sweat it too much. The vast majority of people I’ve worked with in tax were nothing but supportive. Of course, there will be exceptions but they are just that. It’s the on call nature of client work and / or a loss of interest in the subject that generally weeds people out.