Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

black.lion posted:

So is everyone still doing 60+ with the filing date pushed back?

Nah, just 50-55s for the next three months. Can’t leave the house anyways so shouldn’t be too hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I like working in public accounting. Work is engaging, difficult, and you get the right balance of client interaction.

I’ve had waaaay worse jobs than this.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Not good news. I can't deal with anything perma-busy season year.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Hellblazer187 posted:

Other people working in tax: Has this been just the worst loving season? Every year seems worse than the last since say, 2017.

I mean in terms of tax. In terms of just like regular life things have been getting worse each year since 2009.

Last year was waaaay worse.

We also told our clients that we were still operating as if 4/15 is the deadline so we wouldn't just end up extending busy season for a full year.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

It’s gotta be just not available yet, because you can definitely efile 5471 (I have a lot of experience doing so, even editing the .xml we get from other providers).

This tax season has definitely been particularly bad. Last year we were able to get the new hires up to speed before we had to go work from home. This year they’re either great or absolutely worthless. Probably also doesn’t help that we haven’t been really able to take a real vacation for a year.

I’ll agree that training newbies has been disastrous since going full remote. It’s almost completely up to them to figure how to prepare a return

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Hmmm. Good luck!

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

azurite posted:

Wonder if this is the right thread to ask this, if not, then I apologize. I bought two shares in an LLC a few years back for $10,000, and my K-1s have been reporting a loss every year since. I've just been tallying them as unrealized "paper" losses, with no impact to my income on my 1040. I held onto the shares, and hadn't bought any more since the initial purchase. However, June of last year, I sold both shares to someone for $3,000. I guess that creates a "realized" loss of $7,000. Can I just slap that transaction on a schedule D, claim it as a loss, and call it done? I'm assuming since we had agreed on the sale price irrespective to what the K-1 losses were, they no longer matter for for taxation purposes.

Am I getting this right?

I don't believe so.

Edit: removed explanation with terrible 4 days before deadline math and agree with the below. Pay someone to fix it

Ungratek fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 13, 2021

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

!Klams posted:

If an accounts manager were to get defrauded in a BEC scam to the tune of £300k, but that money was all recovered, how likely do you think dismissal would be?

No idea, let us know how it turns out for you

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Sat for FAR today and coulda gone worse

Was sure I failed Audit and got a 78 so hopefully this is a good sign

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Crushed FAR. Gotta finish busy season then it’s BEC and REG this winter and I’m DONE

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Hiring someone during busy season just seems cruel

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

black.lion posted:

lol i passed my last exam i dont think ill ever have motivation to do anything ever again

Congrats! Massive achievement.

I've just got REG left next month, and I'm hoping to breeze it since I work in tax currently.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

We are pretty much extending anyone that has this issue. Nowhere near enough time to get our hands around this effectively.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

That’s like a whole different universe to me. We won’t take new clients for under 5k and really look at 10k+ as the goal

My firm fired tons of 3-7k clients the last year or so

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

PatMarshall posted:

That's hardly the biggest scandal at weisermazars, the tax partner I interviewed with once stabbed his wife to death shortly thereafter. Glad I didn't take the job.

My father was a partner in that office. Basically couldn’t answer the phone for a month after that happened.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Not sure what’s going on but there’s a large influx of people coming to me the last week or March asking if I can take them as a client and bring aghast when I say no

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

black.lion posted:

Yall I got my license 🥲

Congrats! I managed the same last month. Feels great having free time again.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

pseudanonymous posted:

When someone applies to work for me and is a CPA I just ask them why they took the exam and what they thought of it, I do the same for people who don't hold it, though a lot less specifically. I think it's a really useful tool for establishing if people can actually reason and reflect.

What do you do when the reason is “to advance your career and make more money”? Which is the answer that all of us here are giving.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Virginia was like that too but you could take it unlimited times and you only transmitted a passing score. Much preferred to any section of the CPA.

The accusation that auditors were scamming CPE is way funnier because EY must have daily courses you can take. Everyone there should be getting enough hours even by accident.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Covok posted:

106 S-corps/Partnerships/C-corps
567 Individual returns
13 Trust/Estate Income Tax Returns

Don’t have my computer in front of me but roughly
25 1120/1065
50 1041s
75-100 1040s
20 709s
Maybe 3 706s
20 consulting projects

Edit: I’m the manager, so maybe prepped 20 of those myself

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

The new trend of buying fractional shares of private planes

People in 145 hedge funds that don’t produce k-1s until 9/15

Ungratek fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 16, 2022

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Good Citizen posted:

It’s in internship, relax and learn what you can. You’re supposed to be poo poo

This but replace internship with "staff"

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Banzai 3 posted:

You don’t, your out of office already responded for you.

Not an empty quote

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Public firms are definitely still hiring - there’s a severe shortage of staff

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Were you the person who was struggling to find a tax job? I’m honestly stumped if you were, most places can’t find anyone to hire

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Gabriel Grub posted:

It's very funny to me because when I was changing careers at 32 and trying to get in at literally any public accounting firm, the partners looked like they wanted to vomit at the sight of someone over 25 trying to become a staff.

I started my career in public accounting at 32 after changing careers. Some places didn’t look at me but others did. I did laugh at Deloitte acting like I had leprosy during my interview.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

I have a friend getting paid on 1099, presumably because their boss is a lazy cheapskate, and mentioned they wanted to form a corporation(like an LLC or S) to better be able to deal with taxes

does this actually work?

California, for reference

They need to rectify having a boss and getting paid on a 1099 since it should be one way or the other.

LLC wouldn’t do poo poo and probably would be disregarded. S Corp could help but doubt they’re making enough to justify the compliance cost if they’re essentially a misclassified employee

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Trying to set up a best way to get paid by this terrible job is a real “missing the forest for the trees” situation. I understand wanting to maximize net earnings but it’s not the actual step to take.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Only thing that matters is that the cover letter has no typos

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Stupid being chickens and just do the CPA

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Hellblazer187 posted:

I wish I was a rapper so I could drop a sick diss track on the IRS large business and international division.

They are being a pain in the butt

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Overall not a bad season. Finally got a fairly settled book and it makes it so much easier.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Looks like it, and the states will probably accept it since it’s not like you’re geographically bound to your testing site anyways. I did all my tests in DC but did VA as my board.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

pseudanonymous posted:

Definitely reach out to other recruiting firms also I’d recommend trying to build a relationship with 2-3 recruiters. I personally dont source from RH even though I worked their as an sps consultant and they just placed me in another CFO role like… they are like the Walmart of recruiting to me.

I worked at RH as well, now a CPA, and echo everything above

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Intern asked me at happy hour if we do these twice a week all year and I didn’t have the heart to tell them it’s just a recruiting tactic

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Submit your transcript to the State CPA board and note that you’ve got the total credits and the specific credits they’re looking for. They should have a checklist online.

I did this in Virginia before sitting for any exam. Undergrad 2009/Masters 2019 so similar situation.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I’ve filed a few protective claims for that at a few grand a pop

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I had a partner ask me if they taught me anything in school during my first month.

It's a steep learning curve.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Sometimes I regret being in public tax and then I see poo poo like that and think it could be worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I can’t fire anyone in less than 12 months. That timing is insane