Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Stick a large PVC corner-pipe at the end of the cage opposite his house if you want your pig to run. He'll figure out pretty fast that he can do sweet piggy racetrack loops back-and-forth between it and his hut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Fair warning, your pig is gonna start wheeking his fuzzy little brains out any time you open the fridge or rustle a plastic bag once he figures out they bring Treats.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

republicant posted:

I've been keeping some veggies in a Ziploc bag and he's already learned that hearing The Bag is a signal to come running to the cage door. It's adorable. He does not like tomatoes, sweet potatoes, oranges, or anything sugary (except apples) so I hope his picky butt will eat all of these things, although bitter green vegetables seem to be his thing.

Oranges, Tomatos and Sweet potatoes aren't good for them except in very small amounts. Pigs do indeed like bitter greens much more, and you should try giving him celery leaves.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I thought potatoes were a never food

Tomatoes are just a bit acidic and oranges are just a bit too much sugar for often foods right?

Regular potatoes are outright poisonous to them, but sweet potatoes are okay in rare tiny amounts apparently. There's still much better things to feed to a pig anyway.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

republicant posted:

I managed to trim my pig's claws by myself. It took the better part of an hour and he scratched the hell out of my arm but it is done. I'm glad he is not a bitey pig, he never tried to bite once, just vigorously scratched me with his back feet while twisting and writhing and making very unhappy noises. Now he gets to eat yummy carrot slivers as a treat and I get to not do that again for a while.

Try laying him on his back in your lap. He'll lay there and make indignant noises while you clip them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

republicant posted:

Finally got a picture of him yawning! Yeahhh

You can actually get pigs to yawn in reflex to your own.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sirotan posted:

I've got a female pig who weighed in at 1383g about 15 minutes ago. She's not fat ok she's big boned.

She looks pretty ashamed of her weight too :ohdear:.

More pigtures please.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I think all that hair would probably get in the way of battle armor.

Also I just realized that I named a wig pig after a president who was defeated by a whig. Maybe he should have been Harrison instead (those sideburns though).

It's not complete without the majestic piggy helm.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cythereal posted:

Crossposting from PYF.

If that cat isn't named Marc Antony, it should be :colbert:.

Pigs don't sleep so much as slump into a pile of fur :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
How did you bond both pairs together? Group humiliation in the bath?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SmellsOfFriendship posted:

Vincenza says not enough chinchillas

Well then Vincenza should work to be the change they want to see in the thread and not spend all day running around on wheels or sleeping. :colbert:

Vincenza is a very cute ball of fuzz. :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blacknose posted:

He's decided that the bottom of his tube serves as a food store, a urinal and and safe place. The same bit of the tube. Gross. Lucky he's so cute.

I never knew hamsters could grow to be the size of a large dog :v:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

teenytinymouse posted:

UK hams are usually way bigger than US hams, just the way they're bred. I say my girl is 210g and Americans freak out she's obese when she's actually a v athletic little creature.

If you guys don't follow Strong Brew hamstery on tumblr or FB or whatever I would, they're great for large healthy hams in Canada/ northern US.

Look at the guy behind the hamster :ssh:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
That means he trusts you... not to wake him when he's sleeping :argh:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Poor piggie :ohdear:. Give the little guy plenty of hugs. And veggies, mostly veggies.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just out of curiosity, is that a normal age to wean them off their mom and send them off? I thought chinchilla babies were still tiny around that age?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pksage posted:

He's the white (mosaic) one in that picture!

The picture's not showing up for us is what Khisanth means. Try using imgur instead.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

republicant posted:

I'm really sorry to hear about your pig. :( But it is amazing that you gave him such a great, long life, and really to have a human that loves them and takes great care of them is the best thing that could happen to any pet.

I'm starting to amp up the "I want another guinea pig" pressure on my significant other. Hamlet likes us and seems to be decently happy but he needs a friend. My boyfriend's concern is that he might not get along with another guinea pig, but that's why we'll look for one with a sweet personality. They'll be in a huge cage and they can each have their own territory if they need to so I don't think it will be an issue.

This is how the new cage turned out. It has a hinged roof, lockable swinging double doors, and an alcove for the gigantic piggy barn. 17.7 square feet. It'd be dumb to have a cage this size with only one guinea pig:

That is one happy and relaxed piggy :allears:. Pigs definitely do better in pairs, just because they have someone to drive crazy when you're not around to be wheeked at for food and the rare requested petting. You might want to secure the walls on that a little more though, because fat little piggies tend to climb up footholds like those to beg at you for food.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

republicant posted:

I got the pigs one of those crackly hanging fleece tunnels. It's technically for ferrets but they seem to like it.

They're still doing great. Hamlet is obsessed with the baby and follows him wherever he goes. They pretty much do everything together, I always look over at the cage and see them munching hay side-by-side or laying down next to each other. I kind of definitely want to get one more boy, but I'm going to give these two a good bit of time to get comfortable together first.

Hamlet's just happy to have another piggy friend around :allears:. Not to say he wasn't happy on his own with all the attention you gave him, just that he probably didn't realize in his little piggy brain how much better it is with a buddy to wheek at.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

republicant posted:

Oh I definitely see why tons of people are so adamant that you have more than one guinea pig, it's changed his entire life. He vocalizes and makes noises I've never heard before, he runs around and interacts with objects in the cage instead of just laying down and staring vacantly at the wall. I can't even imagine what kind of piggy emotions were going through his brain when he saw another guinea pig after years of never being around his own kind. And a big reason why I adopted Hamlet was because his original owner couldn't give him any human attention anymore, so he had to have spent a lot of time completely alone with nothing to do. I'm so glad I get to spoil him now and make up for the bad parts of his life.

If I did get another male guinea pig is it likely that it would disturb the peace and friendship that these two have, and cause fights? I would like another pig, but only if they all got along and it didn't ruin the bond that Hamlet and Harry are forming. I guess it is entirely dependent on their individual personalities, but does "the more the merrier" tend to apply to groups of guinea pigs? Also considering the option of getting the boys neutered and adopting a girl, but I'd have to see if there are any qualified cavy veterinarians around here.

I'd say you're better off with just the two for the moment. They'll keep eachother happy and entertained all day just fine together.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

teenytinymouse posted:

Cc is still thinking it over

That is the most malevolent hamster I've ever seen. He is plotting something :stare:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pksage posted:

Last time I posted anything I was dumb and didn't rehost to waffleimagesimgur, but here's our chinchilla copier running out of toner:

That is the biggest and fluffiest Chinchilla I've ever seen :eyepop:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pksage posted:

He's a big boy :kimchi: And the mosaic on the left is only 4 months old!

I'm afraid I need further proof in image form to prove he's a big floofy fuzzlebutt :colbert:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I feel sorry for his smaller buddies if he always sleeps on them like that, I didn't think Chinchillas got that big :magical:. How old is he?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Seeing pigs look like they're enjoying a bath is a strange sight. Usually they sit with an expression of utter betrayal and "Why did you do this to me? :qq:"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

republicant posted:

Taking care of five pigs is almost a part time job in itself, but it's a fun one at least. The babies aren't picky and will eat all kinds of things like red bell peppers, Swiss chard, mustard greens and broccoli rabe/rapini, so it's a lot of fun shopping for them. I feel like I really lucked out to get five male pigs who all get along perfectly, aside from the occasional unwanted butt-sniffing.

Hamlet must've lost his little piggy mind at three new friends :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

One of my ~2.5 year old rescue guinea pigs started intermittently pissing blood. Hmm I wonder what the issue could be.

The vet that did the x rays for me gave him some baytril and metacam and a surgery quote of $1400. I contacted the rescue he came from and they suggested I call their vet who has much more exotic experience and is in a price range I can actually afford so as long as I can keep George going he's got surgery scheduled for Tuesday morning. He's in a lot of discomfort even on the max dose of metacam and not eating super well right now :( Just one more day little buddy, I swear you'll feel better soon.

Poor George. Hope he's getting offered lots of fruit and treats until his surgery. :ohdear:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

George made it through surgery just fine and is feeling so much better. The stone had shifted to the neck of the urethra so they were worried they wouldn't be able to get it out and thought they might have to just put him down, but they pried that sucker out of there. He is now a very expensive pig but I'm so glad I was able to get him treated. The techs didn't want to give him back because he's such a good and fine pig :3:

They gave me his stone to keep. They were my kind of people.

Well I hoped you hugged him, and petted him, and...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Guinea Pig logic works like so; Pigloos are Safe Places to hide from The Hands predators and sleep -> Safe Places can be used to safely take a piss and a crap without being grabbed by The Hands eaten by prey.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Khisanth Magus posted:

Will try and get pictures of the little fluff balls to share.

You're goddamn right you are! :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

Say hello to Barry

First I'm gonna get free. Then I'm gonna gently caress you right up, human. :toughguy:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

That is the most cunning and actively-plotting expression I have ever seen on a small rodent :stare:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pasketti posted:

Look at my pig look at my pig look at my piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig

His name is Kirby and he is a good boy

Now, you say this, but two images really doesn't prove much. Indeed, the first one looks like Kirby may have gotten to eat cherries, but he may also have brutally attacked someone. Nevermind the fact he appears to have taken up the violent lifestyle of piracy in the second.

What I'm saying is we need further images to properly verify your claims.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pasketti posted:

How dare you accuse my boy of anything less than perfection!
He is an innocent little angel! Just look how cute he is when he washes his face!

Yep, nothing sinister about dear little Kirby.

Okay Pasketti, blink twice if Kirby is holding you against your will :stare:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Khisanth Magus posted:

I hate chinchilla breeders like that. I breed chinchillas but all of my breeding chins are bonded pairs who live in good sized cages(each pair has a double critter nation) with houses and wheels(did you know chinchillas can chew apart metal wheels? Neither did I!) and shelves and constant sticks to give them plenty of room to run and play, and give the babies plenty of room and objects for exercise and enrichment, which results in babies who grow much faster and are healthier than the big breeders. My breeding pairs are also all pedigreed and several are from show lines.

Of course this does limit how many I can have, no way I could have 200 or something like that. So I don't make much money out of it, but I do get to play with babies constantly.

Why aren't the dozens of pictures of Chinchillas in your post loading? :f5:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Khisanth Magus posted:

Haha, I will try and get pictures of our current babies tonight, will that satisfy you?

In the mean time, here is a collection of random chin pics I've taken over the years.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bKF5EXQnXGcdzckk2

Aww yeah, that's the good poo poo :lsd:. Should keep me going for an hour or two.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pasketti posted:

He really likes to do shake shake.

What an adorable little mischief maker :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Khisanth Magus posted:

In happier news was feeding everyone last night and found this little guy.

Little guy seems pretty nonplussed about existing :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sirotan posted:

Not mine, just cute:

I call fake!

Not one pig tried to steal another's carrot stick! :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"