Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

less_than_one posted:

I finally got my thumb out and scanned my grandfather's collection of late '30s postcards from the US sent him by a friend or relative who had moved there. Too bad I can't ask him. They seem to be hand colourised photos, between 1937 and 1939. They made it all the way to good old pre-war, pre-commie Czechoslovakia. Most of the cards were never sent, maybe because of ze war?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hellcanwait/sets/72157623868186352/

Are you sure these are photographs? There seems to be an extreme lack of detail but I guess that could come from how the artist colored them in.

Edit: I should say it is most noticeable in the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Here are some images of a thesis project from one of the MFA students I worked with.
He takes model ships and train sets and stuff like that, breaks them up, then builds aquatic installations out of them to construct scenes from a future post-apocalypse.

I think his work is pretty damned awesome.

Agreed, I think this is an awesome idea. Had I seen these and not been told the method, I definitely would have written them off as not being photographs.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

The sharpening style didn't really bother me here because of the strength of the concept and execution. I think it overcomes the nitpicks. When I try to add some wacky editing to my photos they still just suck because its a bad photo to begin with.

It's also good to keep in mind that for commercial photography you need an image that people will notice. Obviously asthetics are important but consider the target audience. I think he does great work.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

poopinmymouth posted:

Gorgeous work.

http://www.guidomocafico.com/se17.html

Neat idea but drat that's a lot of pictures that are very similar.. after 7 or 8 photos I started quoting Samuel L Jackson, angrily stating that them motherfuckin snakes need to get out of that motherfuckin box.

Also that site is a slow piece of poo poo... that might have contributed to boredom settling in faster.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Back when I was getting started one of the biggest pushes to try out portrait photography was a fella I found on flickr named Merkley. I love his style... .it consistently interests me, makes me laugh, etc. Even his photo names are funny.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/merkley/ - NWS

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I have a feeling that digital issue thing isn't going to catch on.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
It's hilarious how good those mugshots are.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
"Yo, look at this loving monkey. Please buy my medicine now."

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
That'd be perfect for that lovely online edition of Vogue they did. I do like the photos/animations though... very well done.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I think that series is a loving mess, and no, that first photo doesn't really fit in at all.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

onezero posted:

from National Geo's Pictures We Love, October edition.

I would like to see how he took that shot... graduated filter on the lower half of the lens?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
If that's really from a wedding and I had taken that picture, I would poo poo my pants for two reasons:

#1 That shot looks great.
#2 The bride could be a model and is wearing a bitching dress and these photos are going to add so much advertising value to my portfolio.

That said, I'm pretty sure it is from a photoshoot and not a real wedding.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Is that even legal? I'd think you could easily distract someone with a strong flash.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

dukeku posted:

Noemie Goudal

The first image on her website is really awesome, too.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
It looks like they hold interrogations in my Grandmother's apartment.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I like this... infrared shots taken in Congo that don't feel gimmicky.

http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2013/07/mosse-infrared/#slideid-21994

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRmc9IPGmiA

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

David Pratt posted:

Post awesome photos from other photographers: Your opinion is wrong and your contributions are unwelcome!

Square cropped 'surrealist poo poo' is tired as hell.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I find laura williams' work to be awe-inspiring:

Untitled by laurawilliams▲, on Flickr

Transparency by laurawilliams▲, on Flickr

Wow!!!:

Night Reading by laurawilliams▲, on Flickr

Untitled by laurawilliams▲, on Flickr

I think this one is my favorite:

Looking Through Time by laurawilliams▲, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Spedman posted:

Fair point now that I have a think about it. But I think it was knee jerk response to seeing the sponsors tab and thinking "eww, you're doing this to make some serious money?". It comes back to the point if you have money from these people and it doesn't have any conditions on what you can/can't do, then all that money does is give you freedom to do your work 24/7, rather than doing lovely work in between your day job and sleeping. I think we'd all be pretty stoked about getting cash to take the pictures you want to full time.

And here I was getting all uppity about thanking sponsors while writing a loving research grant proposal, naming anything or anyone that has ever supported me. :ironicat:

It happens; everyone my age got mad at Blink 182 for "selling out" back in the late 90s.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

somnambulist posted:

At least someone gets it. I dont want this thread to turn into a back and forth every time someone posts something that appeals to them. Some people dont find editorial photography interesting, why piss in their cheerios when they post that? A lot of people like Brooke Shadens work, and because the photography police on this forum hate it isnt going to change those opinions.

Anyway, I just wanted to clarify, im done discussing this.

I think that as long as people explain why they think something isn't good it's fine. I should have been quicker to do that, and been more in-depth about it. If a bunch of people explain their opinion on something it's possible that it could change your opinion.

Since he hasn't been mentioned with accompanying photos in a long time, I am going to reintroduce Gregory Crewdson to the thread. I think a lot (if not most) of his photos could be described as surreal, and yet I think his work is amazing.

If you are interested, there is a great documentary on him up on Netflix: http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/70251860?strkid=310411174_0_0&trkid=222336&movieid=70251860

The main reason I think his photos are leaps and bounds above the 'flickr superstar surrealist photographers' or whatever you want to call them is content. His photos invite you to fully explore the work, to just stare at it and get lost in the moment. There are usually cues that let your mind fill in the blanks on what has happened, and/or what is about to happen. You immediately make up stories in your head about these characters which, for me, can call forth a surprising range of emotions.

Of the photos that were posted earlier, especially Brooke Shaden's, I don't think they elicit any positive response beyond "that looks pretty cool." Normally I don't have any sort of problem with photographers making pictures that look cool, but since this is a rather popular 'photographic movement' it's showing up everywhere and it is really starting to get repetitive.

Frankly I am fairly impressed that she isn't bored of her own work yet. How many square-cropped centered-subject images of a woman in despair in a dreamlike setting does it take to get to the center of a total artistic burnout / psychotic loving meltdown? Who knows, she's done at least 300 thematically similar images and apparently she is still going strong. I guess I probably would be too if people were paying me money to show them how I do it... it beats an office job.

The cherry on top is how much momentum this style is getting which is really starting to make obvious just how similar all of these are. How many different artists are doing something thematically and stylistically similar and beating our loving heads in with it? I could make a bingo card with different elements that all of these photos contain (a strange contorted pose, long flowing fabric, hair blowing in the wind, floating, books, floating books, mirrors, a pack of birds, sinking into something, the use of flour in some nonsensical fashion) and get a loving bingo every. single. time.

TL;DR I think these photos aren't awesome because they are all style and no substance, which gets old after a while. I could probably make a car analogy if that would help, or maybe an analogy about marrying someone just for their looks.

Somnambulist, earlier you asked me to tell you with a straight face that this isn't a good photo.

the falling of autumn darkness by brookeshaden, on Flickr

My challenge to you is to tell me why it is a good photo.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

William T. Hornaday posted:

This is the same dude that has ridiculously elaborate setups for a single shot that rival those of a full-scale major motion picture, right?

Yeah that is correct, I don't recall where I read it but I'm thinking that average production cost is something like $40K.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

try it with a lime posted:

Crewdson's approach is kind of neat and while I respect the dedication he has to his vision, the final pieces just feel like emotionally vacant versions of Hopper paintings. I think Di Corcia executed this sort of stuff throughout his career far, far better and without Crewdson's budgets.

I think Di Corcia did awesome work for sure but I also think that his photos, while visually similar to Crewdson's work, are on a much different (smaller) scale which makes direct comparisons a bit tricky. I do think the amount of money that Crewdson spends is insane, but he has a much more perfectionist attitude than myself so I am not really willing criticize that.

Edit: I am curious to hear why you think the pieces are emotionally vacant though. Are you basing that on the subject's expression, or other things as well?

RangerScum fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 27, 2014

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

xzzy posted:

Or you know, it's art they don't like.

Though when that happens I tend to just shut my mouth but we all know how restraint works on the internet. :haw:

While I think explaining why you like a work of art is hard to do, I also find it really interesting to read why people like different types of art, so you shouldn't shut your mouth. There have been plenty of times where I didn't appreciate a certain photograph or painting, but after reading someone else's explanation of the work, and what it meant to them, I found myself enjoying it and similar works to a much greater degree.

David Pratt posted:

Oh no you didn't.

Word, I don't know how effective trying to define "what a photograph is" is going to be here since it's such a murky grey area of objectives and subjectives. For the purpose of this thread it's probably best to just leave it at "images that were produced using photographic equipment and software" or something.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

BrosephofArimathea posted:

Hey now, you guys converted/bullycurated me from saturated sunsets to #teamdeadpan.

None of your examples are deadpan or banal or whatever the gently caress you wanna call it. (I generally don't enjoy really banal stuff)

RangerScum fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 20, 2014

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Hido might not want you feeling sorry for him but I don't think it's wrong to feel bad about whatever situation led him to express himself in the way that he does. Life can suck, but I think it's nice to be able to appreciate the poo poo that sucks as a part of the human experience. Ditto for the "pretty", "empty", "hollow" poo poo.

For me personally I prefer to enjoy a mix of the two. I like Hido's work, but I don't limit my taste nor my aesthetic preferences to him. I don't think he's someone that you have to subscribe to in order to enjoy. Enjoy his work, then go jerk it to some pics of some cats to cheer you up. That's what I do anyway.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Here are some people on flickr that I follow and consistently put out good poo poo.

1. Bart van Damme - relation to JCVD? Possible. He's a dutch dude who takes cool photos of some of the pretty unique landscapes that area has. Takes a shitload of photos that are all at least interesting at the worst.

Maasvlakte by Bart van Damme, on Flickr

Maasvlakte by Bart van Damme, on Flickr

's-Gravenzande by Bart van Damme, on Flickr

2. Matthias Werner - German guy, I think he mostly shoots MF with a blad. Lots of real interesting compositions / scenes. Works that square format like a son of a bitch.

Untitled by matthiaswerner, on Flickr

Markus Lehr - another German, this dude shoots mostly night industrial stuff, which I dig.

Let the games begin by Markus Lehr, on Flickr

The moments before by Markus Lehr, on Flickr

I begged you by Markus Lehr, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

deaders posted:

Those are either really badly scanned or digital shots with really bad "film" filters.

vsco is the voice of a generation man

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

I'm kind of bitter that they tore that down. I wish I could have visited it.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

8th-snype posted:

I fuckin' love this guy.

lol owns

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

those look like lovely pics taken by a kid in high school... let me guess, you were on homecoming court?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Never go back to the carpet store.

• Locked thread