Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Why do you say 11 games in the X series, but only 10 of the original? Are you counting games things like Xtreme, but not the GB Mega man ones? How about the Mega Man & Bass, or the Power Battles, Soccer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Cabbagepots posted:

....I kind of feel that it strayed in the wrong direction with the Metroidvania-style maps.

Cabbagepots posted:

:words: 3D action RPG
So straying from its roots to metroidvania is bad, but having RPG elements is okay?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Cabbagepots posted:

Um, no. Read it again.

Also I forgot about X7 and X8 which were sort of what I was describing, but they just reek of a half-hearted effort on Capcom's part.

I see, I dunno how I read it like that :doh:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

So Mega Man 10 in March got me thinking:

Mega Man 10... Monday March 2010

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I cleaned up the silhouettes from the trailer, should I post them or is still considered spoiler territory?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Wompa164 posted:

During the trailer, the first stage shown looks like a baseball field, and the first enemy looks like he's holding a baseball. I think the 2nd boss is definitely Baseball Man (Ball Man?), you can see the outline of his cap below:

That's what I think, anyways.

Edit: Yeah ok, that's it. Later on in the trailer, there are giant baseballs on the wall..
Except that's not the robot master for that stage. This is:

Who clearly has a basball mit in one hand and american footbal shoulder pads (and maybe helmet)

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Cellophane S posted:

I love Mega Man but did not own a NES back in the day, and now that I'm 28 I feel too old to learn the reflexes needed to actually beat any of those games. :(

Mega Man 9 was awesome but I can just forget about actually finishing it. I sank probably 4 hours into it total and never finished more than Galaxy Man's level.

I'll be 29 in a couple weeks and beat Mega Man 9 (as well as 1-8 back in the day), so stop making excuses!

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Ichiban Crush posted:

While watching that Mega X episode of the US MegaMan cartoon, I came across this for comparison.

Super Adventure Rockman (Subtitled), a Japan-only series of Dragon's Lair-esque interactive movies on Saturn and PlayStation. Save the number of montages of Rockman readying his blaster, it's watchable, plus you see what happened to the original six robot bosses. Honestly, I'm not sure which version of Megaman I prefer; the American one spouting one-liners, or the one crying over QuickMan's death.

Which had an LP by Oyster

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Ichiban Crush posted:

... according to wiki, there's some reference to Iceman having bipolar disorder.

Can someone explain this to me without breaking my will to live?

I'm going to guess it's just a pun on North/South poles being cold places.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

raditts posted:

What robot master is that for? Sports Man?
Looks like they had the sense to put in hotkey buttons to switch powers this time, thank Christ for that.

Probably that or Athlete Man. As was seen earlier he looks to at least have a baseball mit as one hand and probably football gear

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

LordRanedor posted:

Didn't see this here yet, unless I've overlooked something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgoVZqCsXCo#t=0m07s

Officially:

Blade Man, Solar Man, Sheep Man

Chill Man, Commando Man

Nitro Man, Strike Man, Pump Man
It was supposed to be Chill Woman

:tinfoil:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Orcasword posted:

I think that was just coincidence, those were entered to Nintendo Power so long ago I doubt Capcom of Japan kept a bunch of american kids' entries on file from the early 90's when designing the new 9 and 10 robot masters.

Yes, they just happened to use the same name, color and design as a coincidence
Blade Man MM10
Blade Man Nintendo Power Submission

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Might as well just call him Mega Boy at this point the way they like to draw him.
You mean like how he has always been drawn?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

My God... What are you doing in a Mega Man thread? This is the game of my generation. MINE, MINE!

Go play your lame rear end Halos or whatever while the big kids play the real games.

I know someone a few years older than Mr. Roboto, she saw my AIM buddy icon and recognized him from Mega Man Soccer... she was then suprised to hear he was in other games :psyduck:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

So, here's a fun seasonal fangame on Newgrounds.

Megaman's Cristmas Carol, a game pitting Megaman against the four sprits of Christmas (the three plus Marley) and someone who's obviously not Wiley in a Santa outfit.
Two buttons and he gets them in the wrong order? What is this the GameCube version :argh:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Sade posted:

Yeah I totally remaster the graphics of classic games and convert them to digital format all the time, those lazy shitheels at capcom

The graphics were previously analog?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

If a Capcom doesn't want to do anything with the Mega Man franchise, then why hold onto the rights? Why not just give them to Inafune?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

NTT posted:

:psyduck:

The Megaman franchise that they hold the rights for involves owning all the game assets, such as the official art and names of all the main characters and a lot of the bosses.

In this case just sitting on the IP has the potential to buid up even more value for when it is finally used, even if Capcom decides to just gently caress megaman and never produce another game with him ever again.

Example: If no megaman games came out for 2 years and then all of a sudden one was getting hyped up for release, how many people would purchase it based on the sheer fact that it's the first megaman game released in 2 years?

A different example:
"this lake of fresh water is worth a lot. It's unfortunately their right to just sit on it and ban all development."
retard argument: "How is a lake of fresh water worth a lot if it's not drunk?"

Obviously this analogy isn't perfect, but IPs are worth a loving lot because of their potential, even if they're not being actively used. It's why branding as an advertisement concept is so important.

Right, so it's only worth anything if Capcom uses them. However, if they NEVER intend to use them, then why have them? I'm not asking why they have the IP if they aren't currently using it, I'm asking why have it when it seems they never will?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

I didn't see this posted anywhere in here, so here's some Mega Man Xover gameplay! ... :negative:

As I was watching this on my phone I got an email. My notification tone is Mega Man teleporting in :smith:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I saw Wreck It Ralph last week and as far as I can tell, no Dr. Wily or Mega Man. Honestly this is fine by me. The movie focuses on ARCADE games (yes I know about Power Battles) all the cameos were incredibly brief, often just in the background anyway.

If you play the Wreck it Ralph game on Disney's site, they use sounds from Mega Man oddly enough.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I take it as "we're not going to make a Mega Man game any time soon, but we're not going to give the IP to someone else who would, either."

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Happy 25th Mega Man, we'll make sure our entire site is down
-- Capcom

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Are you, like, referring to things that he didn't authorize and didn't want to make (a la X6-8)? Or what?
That'd be "idiotic", maybe he's referring to things he did authorize and didn't make (a la Legends 3, Universe).

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

That's even less his fault than things like X6-8, though. :psyduck:
That's the joke

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Honestly, I think MegaMan really needs a kick in the pants. As much as people dislike it, I think the formula should definitely be changed up a bit.
What form would this take? Mega Man 11? Another story arc? (X, Z, Battle Network, Legends, etc), or... a 'reboot' of the original? (Powered Up notwithstanding).

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Other M was made by the guy who made Super Metroid such a good game. Think about that for a second. Also, I don't really think Inafune is the only one responsible for the success of Mega Man. In fact, I have begun to become a lot more critical of him.
Good thing the team isn't just Inafune, and includes people who worked on the early ones like 1 and 2 and Inti Creates who worked on 9 and 10.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Wow looks, like the shitstorm of "ugh I cant believe people like {choice}" has started even before the winner was decided.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

You forgot Wily 1 from Mega Man 2 :confused:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

AHungryRobot posted:

Come on, that's the most overexposed tune in Mega Man history. The point of the post was to give recognition to some extraordinary fortress themes that don't get as much time in the limelight.

Oh, I thought it was about the music in general throughout the series, given the new addition. Let's talk abut music since they got the composer from MM2, but don't point out any songs from MM2!

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

AHungryRobot posted:

I'm sorry for sharing some less well-known themes from the series? :confused:

If you want to talk about MM2 music go ahead. I never even implied that was taboo or anything. I just didn't post that one song because it almost goes without saying that it's a good theme.
OK I think we are in agreement then.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

The majority of backers will vote for whichever looks the most like Roll and/or whichever they would want to have sex with.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Dabir posted:

The internet: a global network of comp-

Nintendo: "Wait, wait, what was that first word?"

Global?

Nintendo: "Yeah, we don't like that. Can we... go without it?"
Meanwhile they thought the rest of the sentence was "network of competitors sharing the same TV"

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

We should raise a kickstarter for funds to buy Capcom, then give the Mega Man rights to Comcept :v:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Star Man posted:

The Wily stages really are short. I still can't tell if it was to compensate for how long the Doc Robot stages are or if they really are just a rush job.
Mega Man 3 introduced Rush :rimshot:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

skipThings posted:

A guy named Albert is supposed to be Japanese ?
Always thought he was supposed to be evil Einstein, a German
Wily is evil because he's based on the evil Albert Einstein. Why is Albert Einstein evil? He worked on the Atomic Bomb. Where did they get detonated and what is the country of origin for Mega Man?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Megaman is a cult franchise because Capcom lost money on it.
It remains to be seen, but probably the most popular game where you play as Mega Man won't even be a Mega Man game nor by Capcom

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Two unrelated video series both about Mega Man released in the same week?
Teens React to Retro Video Games: Mega Man
James (AVGN) and Mike Monday: Mega Man II Part 1 Part 2

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Takoluka posted:

Literally give us a single Mega Man game that is constantly added upon with DLC. Basically, an endless Mega Man with constant expansion packs. It'll be perfect.
Upon release, the game has a whopping two Robot Masters, each additional Robot Master is DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Shine posted:

Hahahahaha everything about that Battletoads fight loving owned. Ginyu Force posing, signature stage cameos, the Big Bad Boot, more Ginyu Force posing; they just nailed it. Please tell me the toad gear lets Shovel Knight end combos with a huge shovel hit.

Kratos is a boring rear end in a top hat and they should've used Ratchet & Clank or that guy from Intelligent Qube.
The person playing the game paused it for a split second at 3:36 and it sounds like they even changed that...