Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Star Man posted:

His videos are good poo poo, butagnus is the first person I've come across that calls the X-Hunters the "Cross Hunters." They hunt X, that's why they're the X-Hunters.

also keeping up that slip where people call Time Stopper the Flash Stopper

At first I thought he just knew something I didn't and it was what they were called in Japanese but no, I looked it up and in Japan the X Hunters are called the far less cooler sounding "Counter Hunters". I guess he just thinks "Cross Hunters" sounds cooler :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Larryb posted:

Even though he’s not playable I’m curious if Copen’s going to have some kind of role in the story as well (since based on the end of the last game if Joule’s back somehow that would mean something probably happened to his sister).

I'm not sure how they're going to handle Copen in GV3. He clearly had a character arc that wasn't quite finished yet, and on top of that, it's heavily implied that GV3 comes after a major timeskip because the website says Gunvolt stopped aging altogether when his powers evolved further. I guess he could (LAX spoilers) be an immortal cyborg in the main timeline too?

As for Lumen's appearance, Kirin and Gunvolt have the ability to call in bosses from previous games as assists, apparently drawn from Gunvolt's memories. It's heavily implied but not outright confirmed that Lumen in this game is (GV2 secret ending spoilers) the glaive/pendant made from the Muse septima that Xiao and Copen's maid made in order to ensure Mytyl/Joule could live a normal life free of being harassed for her power being mixed in with Kirin and Gunvolt's combined summoning power to summon Lumen back.

Larryb posted:

Thanks, speaking of do we know if Kirin has some form of pervasion as well?

Yeah, when she uses prevasion it consumes one of her talismans, which can be reloaded by double tapping down like pre-iX2 Copen's Bullits.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

A good poster posted:

One of the Steam screenshots for the port of the first Gunvolt game looks like they didn't do anything to adapt the game's UI from the two-screened 3DS to playing on a PC with a single monitor. Does the Switch version do the same thing, or did they update the game for that?

When it initially released on Steam, it was like that, a two screen display running at 30fps like the 3DS version. In 2018 it got a major update that made it closer to the Switch version of the game and it now runs at 60fps and has its UI all on one screen like on all of the console versions.

Larryb posted:

How does the stuff that was originally on the bottom screen work in the Switch version then (like Copen’s various weapons in ASG2)? Is that all moved over to a pause menu or something?

Gunvolt's Active Skills get mapped to the Right Analog Stick, as does Copen's Shred Storm. The added triggers due to being on console allow you to cycle through Gunvolt's different shot types and Copen's subweapons.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Larryb posted:

Ah yes. I forget what it was now but I do sort of remember liking that word the censored version made up to replace swearing at least

Getting jockblocked is some real horsejitt.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Larryb posted:

Also can Kirin get purchasable upgrades like GV and Copen could in previous games?

You roll a gacha at the end of a stage depending on how many collectibles you got, some of them are active assists where you call in other characters (This is also how Copen and Lola cameo in the game, they never appear in the story, only as assists), others are passives you can equip to Kirin. You also get some form of currency you can use to upgrade the effects of 3* assists/passives.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Larryb posted:

Also I’m about halfway through the former at the moment but is it ever explained how GV and Kirin somehow managed to create a perfect copy of Lumen complete with all her memories despite her essentially just being an Image Pulse?

Just, "Oh she must have been really close to you." "I mean she was basically my Stand during the entirety of Gunvolt 2." When she first pops up. Not a single mention of the pendant or anything that came of GV2's secret ending. I guess Tsuda (The creator/ head writer) forgot about it or something lol

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
So it turns out Gunvolt 3 has a secret ending, you have to collect every single Image Pulse and then beat the final boss on Merciless difficulty. You can find it on YouTube if that sounds like a big ask.

I was wrong and Tsuda did remember about GV2's secret ending... and the payoff is a gag ending. Dude's just trolling at this point, lmao

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
Yeah, I really enjoyed GV3's gameplay, it would be a shame if they stopped here. I would be surprised if Inti had just decided altogether that they finally all got Mega Man X-esque gameplay out of their systems entirely.

The first iX was made specifically because of Tsuda's writer's block holding back GV3 from going into production since he's one of the company founders, the franchise is his baby, and they can't make a game in the main series without him. I'm sure they'll find something to do with the franchise's gameplay even if Tsuda himself says the main series is complete (Which, to clarify, he hasn't said).

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Larryb posted:

Well based on 3’s endings GV either dies or regains control of himself just long enough to leave earth with the parasite still in his body, but I suppose you could handwave some excuse for him to come back again if you really wanted to.

That said, I wouldn’t mind an IX3 or a full Kirin solo game after this at the very least

The good ending has at least the framework for a future Kirin solo game, whether it's part of the main series or a "Gunvolt Chronicles" spinoff title.

Gunvolt could just return from space for the sake of plot convenience, or heck, they could just give him a new set of abilities altogether and put him on some wacky planet-hopping adventure of his own, or have him mentor another new protagonist altogether.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
I also get the feeling that the reason Copen just became a non-entity in the main series was because the iX series got made. Now that he has his own spinoff games, there isn't much point in keeping him and his gameplay in the main series, especially when Gunvolt and Copen play so differently that certain bosses in GV2 just felt weird fighting as one character vs. another (Milas wields Gunvolt's weakness and can't be approached the same way as most other enemies, but to Copen he's nothing all that special, Gibril's short height makes her tricky for Gunvolt to hit without any alternate shot types, but Copen can easily just dash into her to tag her without issue and has the agility to make most of her attacks look like a joke in comparison, etc). Having his own games means every boss can be tailored to being challenging to him.

It means his character arc gets dropped because the iX series Copen is a different character entirely at this point (Main series Copen was a huge prick anyway, so I'm not too bothered by this, but it would have been interesting to see if he was just in denial about being down a slow path to realizing the error of his ways, or if he was just going to double down on them anyway and eventually just lead himself to his own self-destruction), but it is what it is.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

KingSlime posted:

Did you guys like luminous avenger? I just bought it and the stages/ platforming themselves are pretty decent, but the bosses are pretty badass

It's a solid mega man successor but definitely turn pervasion off If you want it to feel old school

The first one was a lot of fun but I didn't like how shoehorned the melee combat was in the second one, just felt like they nerfed Copen for the sake of keeping the formula fresh without adding anything that made the melee combat rewarding because at the end of the day airdashing from enemy to enemy still gets you the most points. Glad Kirin turned out so much better in GV3.

And then on top of that they locked restoring something closer to the original gameplay behind one of the $6 DLC bosses, which just felt like "pay us more money to fix the game" which felt especially cheap since it was the most expensive game in the series to date (Though to be fair, it was probably to pay for the English dub cast, which I enjoyed enough to not feel cheated in that regard). They really should have just introduced Blade as the melee character and kept Copen the way he was.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
Something something Biometals something something Model W

World's flooded, moon's haunted because Volnutt's stuck there forever

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Larryb posted:

Has it been mentioned at all what you need to do to unlock this epilogue chapter once it’s out?

No, but I can't imagine it'll be any more complicated than "Get the good ending," considering that it probably builds off that.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
Everyone knows the best gacha game Capcom ever made was Gotcha Force, anyway.

And now I'm imagining that if that game got brought back, it would an an actual gacha with all of the terrible baggage that comes with. Perhaps some things are better left dead.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

hatty posted:

The purple one is cool, wonder how it’s soul form looks

Ask and ye shall receive...

https://twitter.com/reversiblekiss/status/1567576516766351362

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Boxman posted:

Bit of an old post, but hunt down a copy of Phantom Dust for the OG Xbox. Gameplay is entirely different - third person action - but the collection and deck building aspects are 100% there.

Edit: oh poo poo apparently it got a re release for modern consoles and PC.

Not only that, said re-release is completely free (Apparently as an apology for canning the sequel/soft reboot they were making). If you own a Windows 10 PC or an Xbox One or newer you have the means to play it and pay nothing to do so.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
Don't expect a new Gunvolt any time soon.

https://twitter.com/GoNintendoTweet/status/1656413455459516416

TL;DR: Series isn't dead but they're not in a hurry to work on a new one.

Between the negative reaction 3's story got and the divisive gameplay shift of iX 2, the series probably needs a break anyway.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Larryb posted:

I’m curious if there will be a way to port over your save data like the Kingdom Hearts mobile game did when that went offline only
Found this on the official site linked in the video.

Augus posted:

people who don’t spend money on gacha games stay winning

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
Really weird that they couldn't include collabs when the only ones they ever did were with other IPs Capcom owns. Were the Monster Hunter, Street Fighter, and DMC teams that ashamed?

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Hyper Inferno posted:

Has anyone here played 30XX? 20XX was fine but I didn't like the Flash art style which the sequel has completely changed up. It looks like it's getting a complete release on Switch soon so I was wondering if anyone could share some impressions of the EA version on Steam and how close it already feels to being complete.

I never played 20XX because I was put off the the art style and I don't usually care for roguelite stuff. I put like 20 hours into 30XX when it first launched in Early Access after playing the Steam Next Fest demo they had the year before. That's how much I liked it when it was at its most barebones. I decided to hang it up until full release, though, just so I'll have stuff to look forward to. My Steam news says it's at like version 0.55 as of last week. They seem confident they can release this year going by the Switch trailer. Looking forward to it.

Movement is really on point which is extremely important for me in a MMX-like, and there's some nice quality of life/accessibility stuff like automatic charging and being able to chain dash jumps by just keeping the dash button held instead of having to press it for each subsequent jump.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Kurui Reiten posted:

What's the amount of death pits like? I remember that was kind of a big issue with 20XX, where they just sort of had entire stages taking place over death pits, or lava pits, or the like. It was pretty annoying.

Pits aren't an instakill (Because that would be hell in a roguelite) but the level designers love 'em, yeah. I remember the cathedral tileset in particular having some really obnoxious platforming. That being said, getting your hands on the double jump or airdash (Which lets you also dash upwards, and is essentially another jump) upgrades made it easier to deal with, as does Ace's (Great Value Zero) shoryuken he gets from beating the gorilla monk boss, that thing was an awesome mobility tool when I was playing it.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
The Gunvolt series might be on a hiatus but I guess that doesn't stop spinoffs from happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI1u4GMy-gk

A rhythm game is pretty on-brand given all the vocal tracks and the whole "music power-up" thing.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
Capcom's doing a survey, the questions include telling Capcom your favorite Capcom game, favorite character, and picking from a few series you want new games of, including options for Mega Man, Okami, the Vs. Series, and Ace Attorney.

https://captown.capcom.com/en/super_elections

Keep in mind that they render Mega Man as Megaman in all their searches, the lone exception being Mega Man: The Power Fighters.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Also, I saw this being talked about online the other day, and I haven't gotten to try the demo myself, but based on the little gameplay snippet it shows it certainly seems to wear its influences on its shoulder.

https://twitter.com/VRS_VUP/status/1754435945993245042

"Igavania divekicks" was not something I knew I wanted in a Mega Man Zero-like until now.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
There's a better chance of Mega Man 13 releasing in the next decade than ZX3 or Legends 3 ever existing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPVn90CfKKw

New trailer for Card-en-Ciel and a release date, October 24th.