Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Karmine posted:

No it wasn't.

His timing was a little off, and it was hardly a regular thing, but they taped four weeks of Raw at Liberty High School in Liberty, NY in December of 1994.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

That's one of the most mind-boggling things about the Invasion to me. Ok, they weren't able to get most of WCW's major stars. That sucks, but I can sort of understand it. Why then would they use the biggest WCW star they were able to get in an angle that was almost completely unrelated to the Invasion?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I didn't watch enough WCW to say whether they were really any better this, but that has always bugged me about WWF TV since about 1997. The backstage segments don't make sense. The wrestlers are constantly filmed backstage, but they're apparently not aware of it (except when they are) but the other wrestlers may be aware of what was shown on TV (except when they're not). And the announcers (who seem to spend plenty of time interacting with the wrestlers) are aware of everything. It's just so inconsistent.

Don't get me wrong, I'm always able to overlook this stuff when the show is good but it's always been there in the back of my mind.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Nilbop posted:

Was Suburban Commando the one where Undertaker had a role as the bad guy who never talked until the end, and then he had the voice of a 6 year old girl?

That's the one.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Rodney the Piper posted:

Probably went better than this one.

This is fascinating. His responses were bizarre even before the technical difficulties. He acted like a smartass when he got easy questions like, "Who is your favorite wrestler?" but then gave completely reasonable (even somewhat-positive) answers when asked what he thinks about Eric Bischoff and Tony Schiavone.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I remember Dave talking about him in an issue all the way back in like 1992 and saying he would probably become a wrestler eventually.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

What is the general etiquette involving fans jumping in the ring? It seems like Nash and Hall legit stiffed that guy with real punches and kicks. Hall just going to town on the dude's head was disturbing. Is it just a given that if you jump in the ring and try to be part of the action that you're going to get Big Van Vader'd in return? How do they avoid assault and battery lawsuits on behalf of the fans? Because that guy looked legitimately knocked the gently caress out.

That's basically always how they always seem to react when fans jump the ring. I don't know exactly the legal justification, but I'd think you could make a legitimate argument that it's self-defense.

Edit: This is one of my favorite instances: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2216a_wwf-wwe-crazy-fan-runs-into-rings-a_sport#.Ubd76PmG1NI

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

John Cena posted:

why were some PPVs in WCW on saturdays and others on Sundays? The inconsistency was really confusing to me as a kid.

I don't know about WCW specifically, but the tradition of having all PPVs on Sundays didn't really come about until the mid-to-late 90s. Both Survivor Series and Starrcade used to be on Thanksgiving (so Thursday). I remember Summerslam being on Mondays. Then there was the one-off "This Tuesday in Texas" show that WWF did. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples, but those are the ones I remember.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Zack_Gochuck posted:

This might blow your mind, but Kevin Nash was never really seven-feet tall and Barry Darsow can't hit a hole-in-one.

Curt Hennig was actually perfect though, and you won't convince me otherwise.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

triplexpac posted:

I may be getting my stories confused, but I think the original plan was to have WCW on Mondays and WWF on Thursdays, completely splitting the brands and rosters. So they weren't going to do the "Invasion" storyline at all at first, which is why they did that soft run of "Nitro" as the main event.

I think you are getting things mixed up. They did try to get WCW its own show before the invasion, but the invasion was already in progress by the time they did that match.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Is it really so different from WWE sending (almost) everyone to developmental? Well, besides the Power Plant supposedly being terrible.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Rusty Shackelford posted:

The Rock's family is only a close family friend and not actually related.

They're not related genetically, but my understanding is that they are considered family according to the Samoan cultural definition of family.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Is this the game where you do fighting game moves to do attacks? Like QCF-Triangle does a suplex or whatever?

Doesn't this describe pretty much every wrestling game before World Tour? The War Zone/Attitude devs even felt the need to put a cheat sheet in the pause menu, which I think is just about as clear a sign as you can get that the control scheme is flawed.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

He also said that nobody told him how to get to the ring his first time working in WCW.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

omgomgomg posted:

Face paint really isn't he same thing as a mask

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

ayn rand hand job posted:

Mongo left WCW for WWF and Debra followed shortly thereafter around the time of their divorce.

Which of course was run as an actual WCW storyline for a while.

I'm pretty sure Debra left WCW almost a year before Mongo did, and Mongo didn't go to WWF. His brief time in WWF was before his WCW run.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Did WCW use a smaller ring?

Yes, but more precisely WWE uses a bigger ring than most companies.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

triplexpac posted:

They also did some with kung fu toys or something

They were Karate Fighters, and they were awesome.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The American Dream posted:

They may have just wanted to make another black figure since they probably already did Ron Simmons.

29 of 30 are white guys. Guess we need another black guy for series 6

I was about to say that Craig Pittman was white until I googled him and realized I’ve been combining Sgt. Craig Pittman and Sgt. Buddy Lee Parker in my memory for fifteen years.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

Konnan tries to leave as well but gets suspended.

Bruce Prichard told a funny story about this part on his podcast a few years ago, which I just happened to listen to this morning. The same day that they heard from The Radicalz, and were working to set up that whole thing, he says he got a call at the office from Konnan, who was also looking to jump ship. Prichard knew Konnan and knew what a big star he was in Mexico and everything, but on the phone he kept just referring to himself as "K-Dogg" and Bruce didn't know who that was because he hadn't really been following WCW. So he basically just told him to send them some tapes and blew him off.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

62k and 75k for the year in base pay seems shockingly low for a WCW guy even at the lowest level

Then again it was before and after the boom

He spent the majority of both of those years in the WWF.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I remember hearing that Hak was his real-life nickname backstage, so the name wasn’t pulled out of thin air.

Edit: beaten

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Shawn going to WCW is one of the great What if's cause if he did go and join the NWO it would have been big money at first and probably more than Bret due to the Clique....but Shawn would of 100% started to politic and it might cause WCW to start to collapse earlier or faster.

I’m going off a memory of some Observer summaries I read a few years ago, so I could be getting this wrong, but I believe around 99-ish, Meltzer reported that there was some discussion within WWF of letting Shawn go to WCW because the damage they assumed he would cause backstage would help them more than actually having him around would.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

rujasu posted:

99? Wasn't he hurt by then?

Yeah, and if it’s true, that’s probably a big factor in why they saw less value in keeping him, but he was still being used sporadically on tv. Who knows how far these conversations even went though? It could’ve just been one guy’s idea that got immediately shut down.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Red posted:

No no, I'm just blown away that Shawn was politicking to go over Austin, especially when he disappeared for 4+ years immediately after. I'd honestly never heard that; sorry if I was unclear.

I don’t think anyone is saying he definitely was doing it either, just that it’s plausible, despite his injury, given his history of avoiding dropping belts in the ring.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The OP was a user named Coach Tony K and I've never seen it disproven, so maybe?

I believe it’s also known for a fact that he was a DVDR poster, and I seem to remember him bringing up the sleaze thread in an interview, but I might be hallucinating that.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I just looked it up, and apparently the console version of WCW Mayhem came out AFTER he'd already debuted for WWF. Also, Raven was in it despite him already saying gently caress this and going back to ECW. I love WCW.

I mean, this isn’t really that weird when you consider the lead times involved in video games. Bret Hart was still in War Zone, which came out like six months after his WCW debut. Hell, I’m pretty sure Cody is still gonna be in Fight Forever and he’s been in WWE for over a year.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

MrBling posted:

I have a little hypothetical that I've been wondering about.

What happens with Hogan if WCW doesn't re-sign him in 1998? If they just decide in early 1998 that he has run his course and they don't need him any longer, nWo can go on without him.

Does Vince want him back in WWF and if he does go back does that derail the Austin-McMahon storyline then?

WWF was really hurting for heels to go up against Austin after WrestleMania XIV. Credit to (I think) Bix on an episode of Between the Sheets for planting this idea in my head, but Vince bringing in Hogan as his corporate champ to go against Austin could’ve been great.

Now realistically, Hogan probably wouldn’t have let Austin actually go over, so we’re better off that it didn’t happen.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I’ve been watching some 1986 Crockett shows, and I enjoy them getting multiple weeks of story out of Ric Flair promising to wear jeans so the ladies can see what his rear end looks like I’m them.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The best Hogan story is him meeting a sick kid backstage before his big match at Wembley Stadium, noticing a strong death odor, and then finding out later that the kid had died during his match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Angry_Ed posted:

Is this the new version of the story he told about meeting a very ill Make-a-Wish kid, getting him a ticket for SummerSlam in Wembley (to see Hogan wrestle, of course), noticing the seat was empty during his match and thus realizing he died and that inspired him to write Hulkster in Heaven?

Yep, from here, starting at 12:50: https://youtu.be/S3dFvNAYx6s?si=GZapO31g9bVn6Vrr&t=12m50s

The story also is about how he’s responsible for Simon Cowell coming over the US.