Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

oatgan posted:

Among who?

There's a ton of stories that ICP pay really well, and aren't douchebags to the talent. Those two facts combine basically make them the best promoters to work for in the USA. I've only ever heard good things about them wrestling promotion wise and I can't stand ICP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

The DDP vs Goldberg one is the first time he missed a spear. He literally didn't know how and freaked out when DDP told him the spot.

And then proceeded to knock himself silly by going full speed into the ring post on the missed spear.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Does hulk hogan not have a history of bad business and cocaine mountains that may have put a dent in his finances prior to the divorce?

I remember hearing Hogan complain that due to the way divorce works in Florida, he had to pay for his wife's lawyers in the case along with his own. So the lawyers were trying to drag everything out for as long as possible.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I used to watch Raw and Nitro with a few friends, and we'd flip channels all the time between the two. Eventually we just started watching most of Raw, and I'll never forget when I turned on the next to last Nitro. I had heard about it being cancelled and was curious as to what exactly going on. I managed to catch the ongoing feud between Ric Flair and Dusty Rhodes, in which (and I might be remembering this wrongly) Ric Flair had to kiss Dusty Rhodes rear end. The big reveal was that Dusty's rear end was actually a donkey with Dusty written on it. I immediately flipped back to Raw.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

MassRafTer posted:

Hogan wanted WCW to sign Yoko instead of Hall and Nash.

I'd almost say that's peak Hogan, but in another few pages there will probably be something even more amazing.

I realize it was a few years later, but Yoko was scary (health wise) looking at the Heroes of Wrestling PPV.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Smoking Crow posted:

I legit forgot Mikey Whipwreck was ever in WCW

I might be wrong, but I could swear Paul basically told him to go to WCW because he had an injury issue and WCW had health insurance. Looking at his match history, it looks like he missed 4-6 weeks while under contract.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

and the actual wrestlecrap solo books are like the worst things ever

WRESTLECRAP BOOK OF LISTS (of gay jokes lmao)

Or "Hey what this guy writes isn't nearly as funny without the animated gifs next to it"

Also he's a dick, he got the archives of the old wrestlecrap site pulled because he was selling the old archives.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Wasn't WCW taken to court over one of the theme songs, and the judge decided they changed just enough that it wasn't the same song?

I think it was Dave Grohl over DDPs song, and Grohl lost the case. It was the one thing Jimmy Hart was good at, given his background.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Takuan posted:

I thought FMW DVDs sold by TokyoPop did fairly well.

I think I had 3 of the FMW TokyoPop DVDs, they were really hit and miss. They had a horrible English Announcing team. I think I really liked the first one, which had a bunch of Mick Foley matches. But they seemed to lean heavily on having one or two good matches and a lot of fuller.

I could be remembering wrong, because it's been almost 20 years now.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

MassRafTer posted:

I remembered FMW being VHS, my mistake. Anyway around 2001-2002 there were a few independent projects that flopped on DVD. The one that comes to mind is Wrestling Gold which had done well on VHS and sadly bombed on DVD. A company or two tried to distribute early indie DVDs to stores too and it did not do well.

They probably were. I think all the DVDs released by Pioneer were also released on VHS except for the last one. The VHS releases had 2 less matches.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
WCW was doomed once Turner wasn't in charge. Eventually some executive or some bean counter was going to push for it to be cancelled. I mean one of the CEOs of Cartoon Network thought pivoting to Live Action was the future for a network called Cartoon Network.

Someone would have eventually taken over that wanted Wrestling gone because it was a low class look for the network. It doesn't help that not only do adverts on wrestling pay less then shows with similar ratings, but that certain advertisers will specifically write into their deals that they don't want their adverts to be on during wrestling shows because it's considered low brow.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

BubbaGrace posted:

Was WWF sending guys down there to Memphis in 1993?

WWF had a talent exchange with USWA from 92 till the Monday Night Wars started at least.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Tired: The mortality rate of ECW Wrestlers

Wired: The mortality rate of the fans always in the front row at ECW Arena

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Randaconda posted:

Raven was so good in WCW, so of course they did jack poo poo with him.

WCW.txt

I think the best thing about the smallest indies in the late 90s was that they always had a Buff Bagwell clone, who was just as much of a jackass as him. We all loved Buff, so thought it would be fun to get an autograph from the look a like Buff on the show. Everyone else on the card was signing whatever for free, because who cared. The Buff clone demanded 15 dollars to do anything, despite us sending our buddies 6 year old brother over to get an autograph on a ticket stub.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

JonathanSafranFoer posted:

Sorry that I haven’t had time this weekend to post more. I was tired yesterday from the AEW PPV and have been working around the house. Also, the first time I typed up a long post, I lost it by refreshing my browser.

Please just stop and admit your an awful troll.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

JonathanSafranFoer posted:

Maybe you should admit that you don't know the difference between "your" and "you're"

Adjective
a word or phrase naming an attribute, added to or grammatically related to a noun to modify or describe it.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

davidbix posted:

The case was so strong that at least one wrestler (Rick Reeves) who had basically no contact with WCW got the same massive settlement as everyone else.

Who is Rick Reeves even? When you google him all that comes up is the lawsuit and he's not on cagematch or anything else that I can find.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

I doubt it? The lawsuit says Rick Reeves started wrestling in 92.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

davidbix posted:

I don't remember this...do you remember which doc this was in so I could pull it up?

I was under the impression that he WAS "Hard Rock" Ricky Reeves.

It's from this case text https://casetext.com/brief/reeves-v-world-championship-et-al_response

It says that he wrestled in Mid South Wrestling in the 90s and was also a champion for Boulware Wrestling Association. He apparently showed up for 4 years worth of tapings, and was never used. Also it appears that Terry Taylor and Jody Hamilton both basically told him "We've already got enough of your kind". So I think it's a different Rick Reeves.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Hirez posted:

lol 4 years of catering, that's the good life.

I bet like 2 years into it, he probably stopped showing up altogether and no one noticed

He was never under contract, so he wasn't paid for any of it. But yea, I have my doubts that he kept showing up for 4 years worth of tapings. I feel like he would have been thrown out at some point. I don't think Ole was in charge for that long, so you've got to wonder how he even kept getting the okay to show up.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I know it probably doesn't count, but you had Booker T, Buff Bagwell & Scott Steiner on an episode of Charmed. Kevin Nash was also on an episode of Sabrina The Teenage Witch.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Hirez posted:

I normally hate these sites but this list literally made my day (especially #4 - vague picture spoiler if you care) - and #9 picture - loving lol

I got sucked into the Rabbit hole and had to check out every version of Triple H Ranked, and I was dying at this writeup.

quote:

Triple H kicked off the 2000s by referring to himself as The Game. He wasn't claiming to be the best at a game or in the game. He was the game itself. With Stephanie McMahon by his side, the two would run rampant over WWE for 17 months.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
WCW 2021
Sealab 2021

They are going to reuse 50% of the old WCW footage and just redub it.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
talking about WCW giving away free Hogan merchandise, I'm still amused to this day that when Hogan showed up in TNA for the first time and they had 2 or 3 rows of plants on hard cam wearing nothing but Hogan gear.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I thought Tony had a pretty good ECW run. Plus I enjoyed watching him getting wedged into the security railing.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

collocation posted:

WCW definitely had them before, but the jumps made WWE(F) implement them, iirc.

And the first person they gave one to was Marc Mero

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

TheKingslayer posted:

I wonder what they had to pay Hogan to film the scenes for the game

I thought they just used footage from an episode?

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I was at a house show at Continental arena within a few months of Hogan's return to WWE in 2000 while he was still with the nWo and was still Hollywood. The place was just going absolutely ballistic for him, to the point that he started doing his Hulk Hogan face bits and the place went even crazier. I'll admit I loved Hogan back in the day as a kid, but by 2000 I despised him, but it was still absolutely spine tingling watching him and the place just go crazy for him

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I remember when it was announced that WCW was going to be sold, or specifically sold to WWF, I hadn't watched WCW for a while. So I flip over and it's a feud between Dusty and Ric Flair, and Ric Flair has a donkey he's named "Dusty's rear end" and I didn't last another minute.

Hogan's said in interviews during his divorce that they were basically burning money while he was on top in WCW. So I don't think anything would have gotten Hogan to do something that might have slowed down his personal income for the good of the company.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Lurks With Wolves posted:

It's not as flashy as any of the big stories like the Fingerpoke or the poop feud, but one story I read in a recap of when Nash first started booking stuck with me. It was 1998, and one of WCW's generic large men was starting to get over as a cool guy who does powerbombs. Maybe it was Scott Norton, maybe it was Hugh Morris, it's been a while and the specific guy doesn't really matter. The point is, Nash was in the middle of his feud with Goldberg and he needed to make it look like he could win. So, Nash took this guy who was getting over in a similar niche to him and he beat his rear end, and he cut a promo on how if he could end this guy's streak this easily think about what he'll do to Goldberg. And then that midcard big guy was never over again because he got clowned on, and that's one more act WCW failed to do anything with.

People always talk about how WCW never made any stars, but their real sin is refusing to let 90% of their roster even try to be stars. That's always going to get under my skin.

It was Wrath,

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=1685

I don't think Brian Clark was ever going to get over big time, but he was at the very least getting some traction for once in his career.

The time I stopped watching WCW was pretty much as soon as they stopped opening with the Lucha matches. I swear it felt like nearly every Raw was opening with a 15-20 minute promo that was boring as hell if it wasn't Austin. The friends I watched Monday Nights with, we'd flip back and forth depending on what was on. The Lucha matches were always fun and were a much better way to open shows.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

rare Magic card l00k posted:

what wacky ecw merch is there

The prototype only Amish Roadkill Action Figure.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

MassRafTer posted:

I believe so, I remember Corino talking about how Dreamer completely undermined that in one of his shoot interviews too. Which I guess makes sense given Dreamer's later revelation he wanted to murder Paul.

Dreamer was also owed the second most amount of money by ECW at 100K. RVD was owed the most at 150K, then Rhino, Joey Styles, Shane Douglas and Francine were all at about 50K. And somehow he owed Roadkill 20K?

Plus apparently part of the bankruptcy was a 98 Ford truck co-owned by Dreamer.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Timby posted:

Oh, those ECW games on the PS1 were so, so dire. ECW bolted onto the broken-rear end WWF War Zone / Attitude engine.

In Hardcore Revolution they didn't even turn off count outs and DQs.

Anarchy Rulz came out during the 5th month window that Dusty Rhodes was in ECW, and they decided to heavily promote the fact that Dusty was in the game.

They were the absolute laziest games, and I don't blame Paul for not paying Acclaim.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Also, before watching that video I was somehow unaware that they were actually called the nWo B-Team on screen. I thought it was just the way fans, etc had decided to refer to them over the years.

My memories shot, but I think tbe official nWo B Team thing was post Hogan/Nash split.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Didn't he say he fought the Undertaker in PRIDE, when UT would've been like 7 years old?

Or the time he said a Tombstone Pile-driver hurt his neck but video shows him like two feet off the ground.

He told UT that he had hurt his neck taking the Tombstone onto the chair, and UT apparently felt really bad about it for months since he was new in the Fed at the time. Then he was talking to someone about it and they were like "That's not what happened" and showed UT the tape of it and Hogans head being 2 feet away from the chair and he was pissed.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Does anyone remember like an hour long special that might have aired on one of the networks back in the day about Hulk? It was his biography and I feel like it started with him being a fat kid, and then losing weight and getting buff. Also I very specifically remember that he was so buff that the other parents didn't want him to play sports against their kids. They let him play baseball once and he threw it so hard he hurt the catcher and the umpire.

Also there might have been a black coach or teacher who motivated him to lose the weight, and I swear it involved him running up and down the bleachers.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

wow yea, I knew that was it just looking at the thumbnail cause that kids face is burned into my memory for some reason.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
The Crime in Sports podcast does a wrestler every few months and the last one they did was John "Berserker" Nord. There was some craziness, but the craziest thing to me was he made 100k the final year he was in WCW and wrestled maybe a dozen matches.

Also it's sort of amazing how everywhere he showed up was either just before the company died or during a huge down period.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Lanny Poffo makes at least some sense to me, cause they planned to use him. Plus your already paying Randy multiple millions a year (I am assuming) so what's 150k to his brother.

But yea, the Sheik contract was hilarious because they sent him home because of how out of shape he was and didn't remember to release him before his contract rolled over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

haljordan posted:

There's also another story about his fiancée buying a Jericho-Malenko doll set at a store and it rang up as a Hogan-Sting package on the receipt (which Jericho got no money for). Whether this was WCW purposefully screwing him over, or just incompetence by that toy store I'm not sure.

It's been mentioned in the thread before, but Jerichos cut would have come from when the store chain bought the figures, not when they rung up on the register. The two sets probably went for the same price and whoever entered it probably just tied both UPCs to the same description/price.