Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Endorph posted:

If Cena had beaten CM Punk at money in the bank, there'd probably have been a bit of arson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Cornwind Evil posted:

This is really where Hassan's gimmick failed: his very first video was a calm 'I don't want to be judged by my ethnicity because of what other people did'.

It didn't help when the crowd booed instantly after he said, "Allah u-akbar" during that promo.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

LordPants posted:

Jesus wouldn't even do a clean job to death. And then he brushed aside the Rock aswell.

He put Cena out of action for a bit after stealing Tank Abbot's gimmick.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Gonzo McFee posted:

The son of a wrestler will never be Upper class, not even Ted DiBiase Jr.

Even the sons of a wrestler who has dined with kings and queens?

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Dario the Wop posted:

"Then, the VIGILANTE Sting went into exile..."

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
I wanna see Steiner vs New Jack.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

triplexpac posted:

That would require them to tell a story using vignettes. Why do that when you can just have Michael Cole tell us instead?

"William Regal told me backstage that he is, and I quote, 'going to turn this young chap into a true English gentleman', end quote."

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Say Nothing posted:

Creative T?

If he was called "Booker", everyone would hate him.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

ayn rand hand job posted:

This was an actual angle in WCW.

:thejoke:

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

C. Everett Koop posted:

Vince ends up going to work for Bischoff, politics his way up the ranks, becomes head booker instead of Russo, and when the AOL/Time Warner merger comes still buys the company out for a song.

In the end nothing changes except no XFL or Linda Senate runs.

Vince talks Ted into buying the NFL, Jane into running.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Fingerfood of Doom

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Great White Hope posted:

Words cannot describe how sad I was that Cena didn't come out in a Red, White, and Blue Monster Truck and run over Rusev's tank at Mania.

This, but only because the axle would break on the truck as it tried to mount the impervious tank.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

ayn rand hand job posted:

picture the big gold belt

now picture the letters "nWo" spraypainted in black on said belt

They also left The Giant's faceplate on it the entire time until Sting won it.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
There was also that weird feud between Jerry Lawler and Tom Savini, where Tom was trying to get revenge on Lawler being indirectly responsible for the death of Andy Kaufman. So he used his Hollywood magic to summon every slasher film icon to go after Jerry.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

DrVenkman posted:

They basically tried doing a 'But what side is he on?' thing with Luger. But it never really worked. He ends up just essentially heeling it up behind Sting's back. So Sting would take a bump, then Luger would cheat to win, and Sting would be confused. During this time it has never crossed his mind to perhaps view the replay or just watch a tape.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/sting-interviewed-about-night-of-champions-injuries-27958909

The Stinger posted:

You know, for 30 years I have watched very, very little of myself wrestling, so I probably would not.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Detroit wishes Kevin Nash was its Emergency Manager.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

NikkolasKing posted:

Inspired by the previous few posts mentioning Raven being a nothing Hardcore guy and then the post after talking about WWE utilizing some people better....

Who was the WCW star that was hosed over most in the WWE after the buyout?

Lanny Poffo

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

NikkolasKing posted:

The highlight of his sad little WWF title match with Boss Man was when he "nipped up" or "kipped up" or whatever it is. It's that thing where Shawn Michaels or other little guy somehow magically get to a standing position with...I guess it's leg strength and agility?

But yeah, needless to say, Big Show is a lot bigger than Shawn Michaels or the other guys you typically see do this. It was loving amazing to see him do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0j3vrnq2EQ

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: also, yeah, I'm actually kind of surprised by that because you'd think the overlap between Attitude Era marks and people who were juggalos in the late 90s would be pretty close to a circle.

Neither WWF nor WCW sold methamphetamine, so no there was not a profit to be had from Juggalos.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

oldpainless posted:

I don’t think you understand just how good of a contract hogan got

POS gotta put over the POS, brother.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
"I can't be called "Booker", all the boys will hate me!"

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

shiksa posted:

its one of those things in my mind that, like, of course i know that seal must have had hair at some point but i refuse to really believe it.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
I'M STEVE BLACKMAN!

skeedeedeebahdeebopboop
bahdeebopboop

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

The Cameo posted:

Any move can be a credible finisher, though. All it takes is winning with it enough times, maybe doing it with a little more flair than most guys, give it a cool name, and then suddenly it's established as a killer move.

Like, I forget who - it might have been Jake Roberts - but a guy was asked in a backstage interview once, "hey, what separates you doing this move that's commonly used by other guys, why is this move your finisher when for most guys it's just a regular move?" and he just gave the answer "when I do it, they stay down."

It's that simple. Big Show got a punch over. Edge did a running hug and people bought it.

Paul Heyman in a great interview once discussed how he could book Mark Henry using a headlock as a monster submission.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
The n.W.o.

Is the New World Organization of Wrestling, brother.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

coconono posted:

Hogan not knowing the nwo's name for like two weeks really heightened how crazy the whole thing was when it started.

Highlighted by the fact that he said it correctly the first time, then kept getting it wrong afterwards.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Hogan and Mascaras have a 45 minute barn-burner where they both get over with the crowd and appear to be equally matched in skill, strength, stamina, and respect for one another.

Then Ric Flair shows up with a microphone, saying that he's kidnapped a school full of orphans, and if anyone ever wants to see them again Hogan has to take the fall.

Hogan, being the ultimate babyface, offers to do the favors for the sake of the orphaned children. Mascaras stops Hogan, telling him that he has video footage proving that Ric Flair is lying about kidnapping orphans (this video is not shown). Mascaras then offers to do the favors for Hogan, just to spite Ric Flair.

Dario Cueto appears out of nowhere to announce that the match is now a handicap match, Hogan and Mascaras vs. Flair. Flair is pinned in 5 minutes by both opponents at the same time.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It's similar to that Road Dogg shirt that was eventually banned where it said something on the back like "Roll this dog a bone" when that hasn't been used as slang for joint in decades, even at the time.

Not to defend the d-o-double-g, but bones=joints is one of those things that stuck around even tho not everyone was exposed to it.

Case in point:

Inspectah Deck, Wu-Tang Clan "C.R.E.A.M.", 1994 posted:

Everyday I escape from Jakes givin' chase, sellin' base
Smokin' bones in the staircase

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

SLUM KING posted:

Wait is Damaja like “Damager”

Is that what his name was supposed to be

Yep, and its not original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYYSlCa3xfw

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Red posted:

Did Jerry Jarrett save tapes from a burning car, too?

I seem to recall reading something about Jerry Jarrett being the one to take over if Vince's steroid trial didn't go well.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
I'll admit to being the one guy who popped for the FPoD.

I was a teen at the time, Nash and Hall were my boys, and the nWo was the only thing that got me to watch WCW in the first place.

Prior to Hall first showing up my opinion of WCW was "that hick wrestling show with all the old-rear end 80's WWF guys, plus goofy cartoon poo poo like the Dungeon of Doom" and I was happy to see The Cliq clown on them all with baseball bats while yelling "THUG LIFE!"

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Disco Inferno's only noteworthy contribution to the business

Now now, there's always the duck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4_qmZPdZcI

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

CopywrightMMXI posted:

3) the time mr wonderful brutally squashed Disco for checking out his hair in Mr. Wonderful’s mirror

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Of2QC3-bpo

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Yeah, at what point did we declare Imus as not racist? Have we already forgotten the women’s basketball team incident?

Didn't he also have some stupid rant about it not being fair that he's not allowed to say the n-word?

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Has it really been that long since the last rear end-themed wrestler?

Not really if you count Sonny Kiss.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
something something lariat region of France, something something sparkling clothesline

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Maxwell Lord posted:

Is there a more late-90s wrestler name than Sick Boy?

Syxx

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
I feel so weird that I'm probably the only person in existence that popped for the fingerpoke when it happened. "My team" stopped fighting and became friends again.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

edogawa rando posted:

I think he was an "affiliate," but not actually a member.

Would've made a better Horseman than loving Paul Roma, though.

On his podcast Double J claimed that not only was he a Horsemen, but he was the only Horsemen since everyone else was on the shelf with injuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

I thought Knobbs was in TNA a bunch in the early 00s and then again when Hogan showed up.

And can someone give me a brief rundown on why Disco is an rear end in a top hat? Not defending the guy or anything, I just don't think I've ever seen why he's so disliked.

He likes to give unsolicited condescending advice on how to get over, to people who are far more over than he ever was in his career.