Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Malalol posted:

For you intuos guys...how long have you had 'em..I swear, my first tablet was an Intuos..it lasted about 3 years.. then I picked up the Intuos2 and that lasted about 3 years Id say.... now I have an Intuos3 and well. Assuming the trend continues...

I don't even bring them everywhere/drop them/whatever... the signal from pen -> tablet seems to futz out so maybe its a different problem?

I've had a lot of problems like this at work, and buying a new pen fixed it every time. New pens are ~$70 or so if I remember, but that's way cheaper than a new tablet. Also, that's how I found out that you can have multiple pens for each tablet, with different settings stored for each one!

Space-Bird posted:

Anyone have any recommendations on where actually find an Intuos 3? They don't seem to manufacture it anymore (It looks like it's been replaced with the Intuos 4)..

Also..I'm considering the 6x8 over the 9x12... my old graphire 2 was 4x6, a bit small for me..anyone notice any difference with the larger sizes, or is 6x8 enough?

I have a 9x12 at home and a 6x8 (or whatever the medium-size widescreen version is) at work, and the 9x12 is just too huge for me to be really comfortable with. It's too big to sit next to my keyboard on the desk, and that means I have to keep it in my lap while I draw which is a hassle. The 6x8 was just about perfect so I can use the keyboard and the tablet at the same time.

Muttonchop posted:

I've recently started drawing again, and decided to dust off my old Graphire 4, which I never even actually used (it was an impulse buy).

One thing that prevents me really from using it, is that when I draw, I have to look at where my hand is actually moving. It's hard to have my eyes focused on one space, and my hand moving on another.

Are there any exercises for that, or ways to get over this?

Draw more digitally. Eventually, you get used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Jet Ready Go posted:

I want to create my own font now (seems simple enough right?) but it seems like the only programs that allow you to do this cost hundreds of dollars. It's something so simple and I can't wrap my mind around how it could cost so much. Is there a free solution somewhere that I'm missing?

I think we tried this site at work a while back:

http://www.yourfonts.com/

and it worked out OK. There were some tracking issues and inconsistent baselines and such, but that may have been the dude who filled out the template. Also, I found this link that lists a free program you can use along with some of the paid ones. I've never used it before, so I can't vouch for it, but free stuff is out there.

http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Create_Your_Own_Font

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Jet Ready Go posted:

Thanks, your fonts was the only thing I could find but I'm not 100% keen on spending the $10 just yet. By far though they seem the most simple, I checked a lot of other programs which made you use tracing tools to trace around the font you already wrote.. and it's kind of like OH MY GOD what the gently caress are you guys doing? Haha.

If it's 10 bucks to do it then that's not the site we used at work, the one we used was free. Sorry, I only really saw the end result. I can ask at work tomorrow what free one we used and post it.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Yes it is pretty nib hungry. However the pen holder has a removable base that comes off to reveal a handy dandy nib holder so you won't lose all of them like I did with the intuous 3.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Octopus Magic posted:

I have a really really old first gen Intuos. It works well (aside from the aspect ratio being different on my monitor vs. the tablet) but are the newer gens worth an upgrade over say, buying a bigger monitor (I know, abstract comparison, but my 20" is getting a bit crowded)?

Buy a second monitor for your menus and stuff, you have no idea how awesome having a second monitor is.

Also you can open the settings for your tablet and force it to use the same aspect ratio as your monitor. It'll stop using a small portion of your tablet, but it's worth it if the aspect ratio thing bugs you (like it does me). I don't know if this option is available in the old intuos models, but it's been available from the graphire2 onwards, I know that much.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

FLX posted:

Concerning a second screen: it always felt weird to me, using a tablet on multi-screen setups. If you force the aspect ratio thing, then your tablet is only used half and thus precision is halved too. If you don't force the aspect ratio then ... well ... that sucks. I'd go with a single, big screen.

I actually set my tablet up to only work on the primary screen, and just use my mouse to navigate any menus / windows / whatever is on the second monitor. I can understand concerns about the aspect ratio, but having an entire monitor dedicated only to the drawing part of your program is so nice, a 20 inch monitor is plenty big when all you have on it is a full-screen photoshop file.

Obviously, I'd try it out before hand so you don't go wasting money on a second monitor that you end up hating, but once I got a second monitor I wondered how I ever did any work with just one.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
I think they're saying the eraser isn't pressure sensitive, only the main tip is.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
The one with the spring is meant to emulate a felt-tip marker, don't know specifically about the others. They give you so many because the intuous 4 eats stylus tips for breakfast.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Oh, that makes sense. The intuous 4 seriously does eat nibs like crackers, though.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
intuous 3 tablets will only work with intuous 3 pens.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

EatinCake posted:

Yeah! That worked perfectly. Tutorial was unnecessary, but I appreciate the extra effort. I figured there must be a button somewhere to do that.

You can also hit apple+H or ctrl+H to hide the marquee while things are selected, as well. Just remember to unhide it when you're done.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Baldbeard posted:

I just set up my computer desk so I have 2 widescreen monitors side by side. Ideally I want to be able to extend the display across and have a reference photo on one monitor so I can paint on the other. But when I extend the display, it makes it so my wacom tablet also extends across, making it nearly impossible to paint/draw.

A google search tells me that there is a setting in the tablet driver where I can select which part of the desktop the tablet works with, but my tablet definitely doesn't have this setting. Must be too old.

So I guess I'm looking for a newer tablet that will allow me to get the setup going that I want. Anyone have any recommendations in the 200-300$ range?

Do you have a wacom? In wacom tablets it's called "mapping" in the preferences panel (found in the control panel on windows, or system preferences in macs).

As far as recommendations, uh, whatever Wacom you can find in that price range I guess - most other brands have pretty spotty reviews.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Modern Pragmatist posted:

So basically the situation is this. Currently, we use the mouse to place points around the boundary. This is ok when the boundary isn't too convoluted, but in some instances you have to click a TON. Mouse clicks are the dots on the line in the image:

The idea behind using the tablet would be to draw the green line directly. So it's not really a straight line, but it just seems like it would be a heck of a lot easier to get the line to go where you want it to go.

Interesting point about hand getting in the way. I wish there was a way to loan a tablet for like a week...

What software are you using to draw these shapes? Do you know if it has tablet support or not? Because if it doesn't have support for the special features of the tablet, you could still end up having to click and drag control points whether you use a stylus or a mouse.

I'm assuming you're using some kind of specialty software, if what you're using is something common like Photoshop then you're good, but it's a point to consider.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Modern Pragmatist posted:

It's some specialty software as well as some in-house stuff. It doesn't have explicit tablet support but it does have a continuous draw mode where you click and drag to create the continuous green line which I was thinking could be done with a tablet?

I may ask around and see if anyone I know has a basic tablet just to make sure this is even worth it. You all bring up some good points I didn't consider.

If it lets you click and drag to make a continuous line then you should be fine, I'd just hate to see someone end up with a multi-thousand-dollar tablet that didn't do anything differently from the mouse :)

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

I decided to get a iPad Pro rather than spend $500 to $700 on a Huion or bottom-end Wacom. As far as I can tell the Apple pencil works as good or better than my Wacom Intuos pen.

I'm trying out Astropad so I can run Artrage and Photoshop on the iPad. That's working really well too except for some wasted space due to the aspect ratio.

Size might be an issue, especially with unused space. But I was using the smallest Intuos before so a regular iPad seems spacious.

One of my illustrator friends is using Procreate with her new iPad, and she's looking at using it as her primary drawing station from now on she loves it so much. She still needs Photoshop for all her painting brushes but she loves drawing on it. I've always been skeptical of using an iPad for any professional stuff but her recommendation has me rethinking that.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Ample posted:

Can someone recommend a entry level tablet for me? I am an absolute beginner and am interested in exploring digital art as a hobby. I have photoshop elements and a modest budget of $100.00. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated!

A small Wacom Intuos (NOT the Intuos Pro) was around that price range when i purchased one two years ago. I found it in Best Buy, you might be able to find better deals online.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

neonnoodle posted:

Get a used Intuos3 on eBay.

Intuos 3 is the best intuos. Although you can order replacement Bamboo pen directly from Wacom, their store is organized terribly but the pens are there.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
I think I've had that same error message for every Intuos I've ever owned. I tried everything, and nothing worked until one time I uninstalled and reinstalled and it just worked. Sorry that's not much help but that's been my experience with the Intuos 3, 4, and 5.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

dividertabs posted:

I'm also having a really infuriating issue with Photoshop and my drawing tablet (but I don't use other setups enough to narrow down the culprit). About every few minutes, while in the middle of making a brush stroke, I'll see my cursor change to the loading/spinning cursor. I can continue making the brushstroke, but when I finish with it, another straight line will be added from where the stroke began and where it ended. Has anyone ever seen this happen before? It's driving me nuts. Windows flicks are disabled.

So, I had this problem with the 2017 release of Photoshop CC on my 2013 Macbook Pro. However, there was also a 3 second or more delay when making new layers, making a selection, and more. I tried every setting I could find, updated all my other drivers, and in the end had to roll back to Photoshop 2015.5.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Battle Pigeon posted:

In the standard Pen Properties/Tablet Properties, with the thing that shows you the current pressure, I do have to press really hard to get the maximum. Apparently my usual use is only around half pressure. Not sure at the moment what the pen feel options do/the benefits of changing them. If I'm apparently only pressing around half to two thirds of max pressure for painting, and tend to just increase brush size rather than press harder for pressure sensitive brushes, do you think it's probably still better to increase the sensitivity and get used to it? I'm a little wary of playing around and breaking anything, since this tablet hasn't had any issues since day one and you sometimes see a lot of complaints about constantly having to restart programs or drivers etc.

Adjusting the pressure sensitivity was the main thing that turned my tablets from a weird tool into an indispensable part of my production. If you click on the customize button, you can adjust the pressure curve manually, including changing the values for min and max pressure. Lowering the max pressure threshhold helps a lost, especially if you are already only using about half pressure or so.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
My professional illustrator friend recently switched almost entirely to an iPad Pro as her creative workstation. She still uses photoshop and such for final touchups, but the iPad Pro with the apple pencil + procreate is good enough for the majority of her professional work (https://www.instagram.com/aja_mulford/).

Not sure how it stacks up for "concept art" in the Mass Effect/Final Fantasy sense but procreate can let you create some great stuff that transfers easily to Photoshop on the desktop.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Most Wacoms, even my Cintiq, have a problem registering really fast, repeated strokes. On mine, the problem manifests itself by not interpolating the curve between two points, leading to tons of short, straight lines.

If this isn't the problem you're having, my suggestion would be to work at double the resolution of the final dimensions. I found that shrinking the drawing down will often help visually with shaky lines.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Koramei posted:

Stupid question, but I've never even thought about financing for electronics stuff before (also I am young and dumb), but now I'm noticing they have a financing option for the Cintiqs on the Wacom store- normally I just considered them out of my price range and left it at that, but now I saw this I'm starting to get tempted. Is this something I should consider? Any of you tried it?

For that matter, how are the Cintiq Pros? I'll do a readover of the past few pages of this thread tomorrow assuming I haven't realized this is a stupid idea, I suppose, I never really absorbed what people were saying about them.

If you need to finance something, whether it's a car, a wacom, a computer, or whatever, it is almost always universally better to get a loan from your credit union or bank rather than from the people who stand to make a profit off of you buying something from them. Wacom has no incentive to give you the lowest interest rate, since any interest they make off of your loan goes directly into their pockets in addition to the profit from the cost of the item.

Unfortunately I have no insight into the new Wacoms to add, but hopefully you and some other younger artists will find the above useful.

gmc9987 fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Mar 31, 2017

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Chedranian Girl posted:

Hi guys! I'm getting a new laptop soon and I'm considering getting a Cintiq 13" to go with it. At the moment I have an old Bamboo that I'd like to hook up until I get some pennies saved for the Cintiq. Would it be possible to have both of these installed and use them interchangeably or should I uninstall the Bamboo when I buy the Cintiq? (I already have a Yiynova 19mspu attached to my desktop which is ace but I know there are wacom compatibility problems so I'd keep the Cintiq on the lappy).

Just keep the drivers installed unless there's a conflict, no need to uninstall the bamboo drivers if there's a possibility you'll use it again when you're on the road. I have an Intuos Pen & Touch and a Cintiq 13HD, haven't had any issues switching between them (I am not running Windows, though).

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
It's a matter of preference. The big issue is that with a smaller tablet, a tiny movement becomes huge on the screen. If you're making detailed linework or paintings this can lead to a lot of jagged edges and weird artifacts because any imperfections in your strokes get magnified onto the larger screen. Think blowing up a 300x400 .jpg you found on google into poster size.

If you're just doing basic photo touchup and nothing super detailed you should be fine.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
I just use the CIntiq as my drawing monitor and have Photoshop or Illustrator's preview panel on my main monitor, I found the color calibration capabilities of my cintiq 13HD to be pretty limited.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
I used a sub-$100 bottom-of-the-line Wacom as a professional freelancer for 2 years, it wasn't ideal but it was fine until I had enough money to upgrade. If you can afford an $80 Wacom, it will definitely work well enough until you either decide to upgrade to a slightly larger size or stop drawing digitally entirely, in which case you are only out $80.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Koramei posted:

I know everyone raves about the iPad Pro as a drawing tool, but how is it for other stuff? I've been thinking about getting it + one of those keyboard cases instead of a laptop, any thoughts?

I find the iPad to be very clunky for any sort of serious stuff (not talking about drawing here, but more stuff like writing, file management, that sort of thing). Also if you need to use any peripherals you're probably out of luck.

If you just plan on using it for entertainment and surfing it would probably work just fine.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

The Dregs posted:

My daughter got an Intuos Draw for Christmas. Not one with a screen, just a pad. We're both trying to figure it out. There isn't much of an OP, and the first few pages aren't very helpful. Can someone point me to some good advice on using these things, especially which (free) software I should be using? I downloaded Krita.

Autodesk Sketchbook has a pretty decent free trial, you're limited to not making custom brushes and only 3 layers in the free version. Other than that, what kind of advice are you looking for? Settings? Troubleshooting? Fine-tuning?

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

KingKalamari posted:

So, a few months ago my Wacom 4 from 2010 finally gave up the ghost and I've since been saving up for a replacement. I've done a bit of research and the Wacom Pro seems to be the best I can get in the way of screenless tablets. That said the price tag is sort of turning me off of it but at the same time I worry that going with a cheaper alternative is going to bite me in the rear end in the long run as all the cheaper alternatives I've looked into have way lower levels of pressure sensitivity.

The main things I'm planning to use this thing for are:
-Creating the art assets for my web design portfolio. I'm a web designer by trade with some skills and training in illustration and wanted to create a portfolio that reflects that.
-Starting a (hopefully) long-running webcomic project
-Doing some commission work on the side to hopefully recoup some of the costs.

So yeah, I'm not really going to be using this on a fully professional level but want to get the best value for what I'm going to spend. Is going with a cheaper alternative to the Wacom Pro going to be worth my while or is ponying up for the more expensive model going to be worth my while in the long run?

I made a living doing solely freelance art/illustration/design for 2 years on a $90 Wacom Bamboo, the main thing I noticed between it and the other higher-end tablets I've owned was that the drawing area was too small for my liking. I'm sure that the extra pressure sensitivity is an improvement but unless you're going directly from 512 to 2048 or so you probably won't notice the difference.

I would purchase a medium Wacom Intuos 3 again in a heartbeat if I could find a driver for it on Mac OSX. Right now my wife has inherited that tablet on her Windows machine and despite being over 12 years old it's still in perfect working order.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Not strictly tablet related: I am going to need a new computer sometime soon and finding out through this thread that Apple ditched USB was the final nail in the coffin for me, I guess I'm gong to have to go back to Windows in the next laptop.

What bullshit.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Koramei posted:

This has been bothering me for a while and it just occurred to me I could just ask some other opinions. How many different brushes do you guys normally use? Because I've got like 300 or something from brush sets, many of which I purchased with genuine money, but when I'm actually drawing seriously, 95% of the time I just fall back on the most basic of all round ones and a couple that are essentially slight variations on the same thing. I love that brush and it's super versatile and it's not like I can't do what I need to do with it, but I can't help but feel like I'm missing out. Do you guys have a way different approach?

Corollary, every now and then I do try to branch out but tend to feel uncomfortable with other stuff, and one of my things is that I still haven't settled on THE RIGHT pressure curve; I tweak it constantly, and some days it feels just right but other days it doesn't at all. Right now in Clip Studio it's like this:

Do you guys change yours a lot, or have something really different? The main thing I find is if I'm trying to do lineart (which used to be my staple but definitely isn't now) I need a different one than when I'm painting. I definitely ran into the same issue on iPad though and my old tablet so I know it's not just faulty tablet drivers or something. I'm doing a reinstall of my computer in a few weeks (for unrelated reasons) so I figure I'll start settings from the ground up to see if I can get more comfortable but I figure it wouldn't hurt to ask. Also I illustrate professionally (albeit sometimes maybe I shouldn't be) so I'm pretty sure it's not that I'm just like, crap, or something.

somewhat relatedly, what internet places do you guys go to for art discussions these days? much as I love our fair SA, the art talks are not as alive here as they once were so I feel like I miss a lot of stuff

Can't go wrong with a hard round. For painting and coloring, I pretty much exclusively use a hard round an mess with opacity to layer. Linework, though, I tend to branch out a lot more. My favorite right now is an ink brush I downloaded from some free photoshop brush site a long time ago, it splotches and bleeds a bit like a real pen on softer paper and I like the random imperfections it adds to my linework. I've also been experimenting a lot with Kyle's brushes lately, some long-term contract work I'm doing has needs of lots of tiny marker or watercolor images and using those brushes has made my job a lot easier.

mastodon.art seems like a pretty cool place to chat art.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Hi, I have a question that's been asked a lot, but I haven't seen a recent answer.

Where's the best place to purchase digital paint brushes for Photoschop, Illustrator and other CC programs?

I'm used to painting with watercolors and gouache, as well as acrylics, so I'd like brushes that emulated those textures, but I'm open to more variety.

I'm using a HUION 1060 Plus, if that helps.

If you have a subscription to Adobe CC, you gain access to all of Kyle Webster's brushes for free.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I've been wanting to get into digital art for a while now, and am the most newbie of newbies in regards to it, so I don't really know how much I will really get into it. (I tend to get hyper-focused on something for a few months then get bored/frustrated and drop it). Looking at the price difference between one with a screen and without, do you think its really worth it? I'm more than willing to grab one of the $100 ones, but investing $300+ into one with a screen seems like a pretty heavy difference.

I've shared my experience before in this thread but there's a lot of pages to go back through so I'll just say it again. I worked full-time, professionally, making art on a $99 entry-level Bamboo tablet for about two years or so. My biggest complaint was that it was too small for my normal drawing style, but I also had no room for a bigger tablet at the time so it worked out fine. A $100 tablet is a perfectly fine way to jump into digital art, and I'd 100% recommend that over a more expensive screen-based tablet for someone who's just starting out making digital art. If it ends up being something you want to continue, then start looking at what you want to upgrade, but a $100 tablet paid my rent and utilities for 2 years so it'll for sure be competent enough for your needs.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

lofi posted:

Does anyone have any tips for desk setup? I find working on my Intuos just not comfortable, and I'm not certain if it's poor physical setup or if I'm just a luddite and it's psychosomatic. It feels like I'm hunched over the thing, having to press really hard, and generally become gollum.

Depending on what model (and driver) you have, in addition to what doctor fruitbat said you can also adjust the max pressure point to be less, so you don't have to press so hard to get max pressure. Goes a long way towards fixing those hand cramps.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

This is probably an insanely basic question but I keep getting hung up over it: I usually rely on black lines to color within when I digitize a piece of art, and I really want to move past that. What is the secret to replacing those black lines with something more organic looking?

Assuming you're painting digitally: Get rid of your line brush and only use a fat brush with opacity set to pen pressure. Pick a minimum brush size that's too big to do lines and just start painting shapes. No way to ease into it, you just gotta take the plunge and pick a tool that forces you to change.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Eschenique posted:

I have a problem with my Wacom. I have it connected, and I set my computer to duplicate the monitor so, I can use the mouse and do stuff like surfing in between drawing. But I have to set either the tablet or the monitor as "Main monitor" and whichever I choose the other one's interface ends up really bad. Is there any way to fix this?

The problem is that I will get an idea for something I want to do and it takes like 5 minutes to get the tablet set up to start drawing and that effort ruins the spontaneity of it.

I tried setting up a separate computer for just the tablet which works okay-ish but then I'm moving pictures and files between them on google drive which breaks the flow a bit.

Tablet as primary monitor:

monitor as primary:

Maybe I should just try to learn to use it as a screenless tablet? Though the screen makes work feel really good (can wear a bit on my neck though)

I'm confused, are you setting up the monitor to extend the desktop, so that your desktop is now 2 monitors wide, or are you duplicating (mirroring) the desktop, so that the same image and desktop is shown on both screens?

What is the native resolution of your Wacom, and your main monitor?

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
I'm sure there's an option in Windows for this, in MacOS you can just right-click on the app and specify which monitor you want it to open in from then on.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Listerine posted:

I have an old Intuos, whatever model was current back in 2007. It's still chugging along fine and I do more work on it than I do on the cintiq I got in 2010 or the Surface Studio at the office, and I can't think of any complaints.

I'm curious if Wacom has updated their Intuos line in any way that I would notice. Have any of the model releases since 2007 added any features or made any ergonomic changes that are actually appreciable? Or is it mostly just new names and pricetags?

Assuming that's an intuos 3 based on the year - that model is unkillable, the best Intuos product line ever made. Nothing will stop it, and any improvements on later models were severely handicapped by the fact that every model since then has been more and more prone to breakage.

New features since that model came out:
  • higher pressure sensitivity
  • more readily-available widescreen tablet ratios
  • wireless tablet models

new "features" since that model came out
  • more fragile USB cable connection that degrades and breaks easily, rendering the tablet mostly useless
  • textured surfaces that eat through pen tips in a matter of weeks, meaning you need to order new ones from Wacom regularly
  • Overall more fragile designs that are more prone to breaking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Listerine posted:

Thank you so much, since I don't care about wireless and or increased sensitivity, it doesn't seem worth replacing until it breaks.

I got my Intuos3 back in 2005 or so, I've since upgraded to a Cintiq so I can draw directly on the screen but that original Intuos3 is still in regular use by my wife, it won't stop and hasn't needed any replacements other than when I lost the pen a few years ago. When I die I want my body lit on fire and set out to sea on top of my Intuos3 in a graphic designer viking funeral.

Futaba Anzu posted:

i dont know if it's just me but i always experienced the opposite of this with my intuos4 in that the surface basically gets smoothed out of its texture which is very annoying since the underlying layer is slightly tacky and ruins my tactibility doing slight penwork.

The end result seems to be that most "improvements" to the Intuos line just make it more expensive to maintain.