Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun
For those who have gone through BMQ, would you recommend getting your own boots before shipping out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

Writing the CFAT next week. For someone who can put their pants on correctly, what difficulty does this test rank as?

Fister Ardennes fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 17, 2010

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

Fraser CDN posted:

6 on beep test
19 push ups
19 sit ups
75 on hand grip
drink a 12 pack and not get arrested.

What exactly is the beep test? Is this like running back and forth from lines with the interval between beeps getting shorter?

I can also drink a 12 pack and not appear drunk.

Fister Ardennes fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 25, 2010

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

compressioncut posted:

I can describe how you are scored by the interviewing officer and what to focus on.

My interview isn't far off. I would love to know what to focus on.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

Also, what should I wear? Should I treat this like any other interview and wear a suit?

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

Looks like I'll be entering as an LCIS Tech. I figure, do that for my first contract then try and go to the RMC to earn a degree.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

LemonAIDS posted:

Got my interview and medical coming up in a few days? Anything I should know other than the obvious stuff like the trade I'm applying for?

I have my interview next week. I keep hearing the same thing "know your trade" and be prepared to answer personal questions. Although I talked to one guy on the day he was being sworn in. He told me one question to be ready for is "why are you good for this job" and "why are you not good for this job".

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

Barrakketh posted:

The interview will be like any other job interview for a major corporation or The only difference being you'll be asked if you're prepared to kill people.
Make sure you say "Yes" to this question without hesitation. The interviewer will think you're hardcore and give you the job.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

Fraser CDN posted:

Learn German, try and get posted over there.
What are the chances of a German who can speak German being posted over there?

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

surivdaoreht posted:

So I'm planning on taking a trip tomorrow, to the CFRC on Yonge St. I graduated college in May of 2010, I studied Aircraft Maintenance. If I'm not mistaken, the beginning of April is prime time to sign up (positions are open)? I went through the whole application/physical/interview process once before, around the same time I graduated. They didn't have any positions, and when the positions opened up in 2011 and they were calling me, the timing wasn't right.

My plan is to bring all of my paperwork from the last time I applied, and to start the process again. From what I recall, I believe I'd be able to join as semi-skilled, due to my schooling.

Do they require my highschool transcript, or only my college one? Any other suggestions so I can make as few trips as possible? I live over an hour away. I plan on bringing all of my typical forms of I.D. and so on.

Thanks guys.

Sup Reapplying Buddy:

They have changed the recruiting process as of October 2011. Now they want everyone to apply online. Then fill out all the application forms, copy them and then mail them to the CFNRCC in North Bay. The CFRC on Yonge can't do poo poo until they get the word from the CFNRCC.

If you applied online before call the CFNRCC and tell them you want to reopen your application. Also the form for 5 references on the website is wrong. Now they only want 3 references, but with their home addresses.

They will want your highschool and college transcripts.

Fister Ardennes fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 5, 2012

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

Barrakketh posted:

Don't join.

The military will not transform you. At most, it accentuates what's already there within you, both good and bad. No one can beat self-discipline into you, certainly not in this "New Army".

If you are a shitpump now, you will be a shitpump afterwards. You'll only be wearing a silly hat instead.

It should be made clear to the general populace that THE CF IS NOT A SOCIAL HELP PROGRAM.
Chances are he wouldn't even make it through the application process.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

AKP posted:

What makes you say this? I'm physically fit, have no criminal record.. lol, I could join if I wanted to but it would affect my music career so I'm not going to.
Because the CF isn't some place you can walk in off the street and join. The application process is highly competitive. Meeting the basic requirements means gently caress all. Currently there are more applicants then they can handle.

Anyone can apply, not everyone is going to join.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

They're downsizing now. Not a wartime military anymore.
The kicker is a lot of people were failing their occupational training in 2010-2011. Cooks were failing for gently caress sake So, now they've changed the entire recruiting phase to further weed out the retards.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

A reserve unit called 38 Brigade Artillery.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

Do you know if it was at WATC or 1RCHA?
1RCHA is in Shilo so probably them.

http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/soldier-charged-with-attempted-murder-for-shilo-shooting-1.897082

quote:

Military investigators have laid charges in a shooting at CFB Shilo.

Canadian Forces officials said a member of the military was shot and treated for non-life-threatening injuries Sunday morning.

Officials announced Monday that military investigators had laid charges.

Master Cpl. Clarence Stillman is charged with attempted murder, said officials. He also faces other charges, including careless use of a firearm and possession of a weapon.

Officials said the gun used was not a military-issued weapon.

Read more: http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/soldier-charged-with-attempted-murder-for-shilo-shooting-1.897082#ixzz22ACshKHE

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

Be professional. Wear a suit, bring a resume and cover letter. Know your trades and what type of individual is best suited for them. Think about the advantages and disadvantages of the CF.

Do the interview work sheet if you haven't already: http://www.armee.forces.gc.ca/34gbc/entrevueen.pdf

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

acumen posted:

Just a warning to anyone getting out/already out and thinking about wanting to get back in - the requirements to join are way higher than they used to, and previous military experience barely helps at all.

I didn't even make the "points" requirement for infantry, even though I finished my infantry career with 7 years in and as a MCpl. Basically you could have three Victoria Crosses and still be ineligible :psyduck: . What they're looking for is apparently community involvement, belonging to clubs, cadets, etc, which add a lot more points to their silly scoring system.

Also, be prepared to wait 2-3 years to get through the recruiting phase and make sure you pick 3 jobs that you absolutely want to do. I spent 2 years waiting to get going, only to be diagnosed with Keratoconus a few months before they called me. :psyduck:

Fister Ardennes fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 1, 2013

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

power klawz posted:

Dumb hopeful question: Does anyone know what the infantry hiring situation is like right now? I swear that both the CF site and the recruiters I talked to a week ago said that it was hiring (and had the most openings), but I checked again today and it's not. And pilot is now somehow hiring and in demand. This is the complete opposite of what I was expecting, really.
The website is notorious for being inaccurate, it's always better to call a recruiter and find out what is still open. The combat trades are always over subscribed and will fill up fast. If you are really determined in joining the CAF be prepared to wait a couple years before getting in. Unless you have some particular skill/trade they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

Barrakketh posted:

I'd prefer Syria to Ukraine. Ukrainians and Russians know how to aim. Your average Haji does not.
I'd rather fight a real army wearing real uniforms with real allies. You're average Russian conscript is going to be just as scared as you are and would definitely not blow themselves up in order to kill a few infidels. Ivan just wants to go home and drink wodka and gently caress his turnip faced girlfriend.