Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Anyone know much about the Image Tech trade? I'm looking at applying for that, since I have applicable education, but the recruiter said it's hyper-competitive to get in with guys trying to remuster in from all over.

The info on forces.ca says Image Techs operate with all arms of service, so does that mean they can be stationed anywhere, or is it just a "you're getting loaned out from Cold Lake" kind of thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I was talking with my father recently, and he was apparently told he's not able to reenlist in the militia anymore because he never graduated high school, and because of the glut of young dudes who did who want in as well.

It kind of bums me out, considering my own lack of a high school diploma. But hey, some random soldier remustered into my desired trade without even the knowledge on how to use a camera. I have a college diploma that says I can at least do that. So it should help. Right? :sigh:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Mr.48 posted:

How do you have a college diploma and no high school diploma?

Adult Learner Exam. They didn't require me a GED for entry, so I never bothered with that, either.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

acumen posted:

Also if anyone has any questions about Canadian snipers I've been qualified for about three years and operated overseas as one. If you are wondering how you become one, you've gotta be a fit, independently-thinking, quality soldier without an ego and someone higher in the chain of command's gotta recommend you.

Do you have to have really, absurdly great scores in marksmanship, or do they just take soldiers who are as you stated above?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Samu posted:

Why the hell does everyone want to be infantry anyways?

Hollywood.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Really? Any Commonwealth force? That's weird, but kinda cool. Is there a webpage or something somewhere that says that?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I do more PT a day on my own, and I'm just a civilian. That's... underwhelming.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

When I popped into the recruiting office last Novemberish, the recruiter flat-out told me not to consider applying for infantry and to please, PLEASE instead consider a trade.

I... I didn't even want to be infantry.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

So, from reading about things like dudes waiting a long while after bmq for their trade courses, I have to ask what do you do in that interim? Just sit on a base somewhere doing drills?

What is the day-to-day life of a soldier in the CF anyway? How often do you get to flex your trade, that kind of thing?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Samu posted:

If you're considering joining and have questions about the new BMQ course, I'd be happy to share my very small amount of military knowledge.

Before going off for training, were you in a relationship? My girlfriend gets really freaked out anytime my desire to enlist comes up, and I'm just curious to how that works out; being away at BMQ and not really getting to see anyone you're with makes sense, but what about that time spent sitting around after, waiting for courses? (If you don't personally know, anyone else is welcome to jump in.)

e: for clarity, I mean living conditions; while waiting around, are you forced to live on base, or can you live off base with your partner? Or can you live on base with your partner? I'm unclear how accommodations work.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

compressioncut posted:

If by living "on base" you mean military family housing, yeah that's a possibility.

All that said I would plan on living single until you are QL3 qualified - it's just easier. Less paperwork and drama, stuff you really don't want or need at the start of your career/enlistment.

Yeah, family housing was what I was thinking of. My parents lived at Griesbach Barracks when I was a baby, but I wasn't sure if that kind of thing existed anymore; Griesbach is a redeveloped suburban neighbourhood now, I think.

Does all that time spent on training courses at the start count towards your enlistment contract, or do your four years begin once you step foot on your first actual posting?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

So if you want to learn martial arts pretty much at all, you'll have to go find on your own a school in the civilian world? Is there any kind of allowance for that kind of thing, or entirely out-of-pocket?

How long has it been this way? My dad says he learned savate as a logistics driver in the 80's, and I remember watching videos ~10 years ago about people learning jiujitsu at the officer academy; those videos may have been chock full of misinformation since it was a "holy poo poo joining the military is kickin' rad, dog!" kind of thing.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

At BMQ, when it's time to hit the gym, are you allowed to just do what you please in that time, or are you given a workout plan? I'd be a bit chuffed if I had to abandon my routine.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Ruse posted:

When they take you to the gym, the PSP are going to be all over your rear end if you don't follow their retarded work out plans.

Well, that's not too bad, I guess.

The Amputee House posted:

You can work out in your own time (when you get it).

Oh, hey, awesome!

MA-Horus posted:

The work-out plans are mainly for people that think the smith-machine is a great workout for your arms. Plan accordingly.

:qq:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

As I understand it, we use those subs and fighter planes to enforce our borders. Use it or lose it, basically. If we don't make sure people are respecting our territory, they absolutely will not.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Please tell of the recruit who brought a cat to BMQ.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I hope you returned it unwashed.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

The MP video on forces.ca made it seem quite a lot like you could wind up running a metal detector in Lisbon, actually.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

How long does enlistment take, on average? I put in my application at the start of the calendar year for trades in demand, trades which they had actually posted on outside job boards looking for applications for, and it took until a couple of weeks ago for my application to actually make it to the recruitment centre in town. I imagine maybe it'll begin to move again now that the new fiscal year has begun?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Before North Bay sent my application forward, it regularly took them a week or more to reply to my emails. If I got a reply at all, which didn't always happen.

Since they forwarded it, the guy who's handling my application locally gets back to my emails within a couple hours and definitely within the same day. It just took, like, two and a half months for my application to get out of the queue in North Bay.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Qualified for both my chosen trades on the aptitude test today. So excited! :holy:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Wow, fifty years of service? Sounds like the Sea King is a solid, reliable piece of machinery!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Wait, do they not issue boots in BMQ? :ohdear:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

For enlistment? The aptitude test I took in late July was dead-easy, and the LT who did my interview told me I qualified for apparently every trade possible just based off those results. The sample test is really accurate as to what kind of stuff you can expect to run into, so look it over and just bone up on whatever gives you trouble.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

But not real fur trim. That's cruel.

e: uhhhh I thought this was canpoli. Sorry, servicemembers!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

How long does this process take, anyway? I had my interview in September for this application, and it took them until November to even bother calling my references. Is that usual? Speedy?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Bingemoose, I applied for an in-demand trade in June. I tested well, passed my medical and interview, and I'm still waiting. They only got around to calling my second reference this month, ffs.

Figure out something else to hold you over until they call you up, because it won't happen "soon" unless the Bugs drop a rock on Buenos Aires.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Simkin posted:

making offers to people on a Wednesday, enrolling them Thursday and flying them out to St-Jean on Saturday. :getin:

Don't you toy with my heart like this :smith:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

So, given that my background check finally completed recently (why the gently caress is that contracted out to Garda, it took forever :psyduck: ) and April is looming dead ahead, should I expect to hear back in November or 2016?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I'm swearing in this week. I'm elated! I'm terrified! I've read this thread for years, and soon I'll get to bitch about things just like all y'all.

Canadian Forces thread, I'll try not to be a shitbird worth bitching about here.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Why are you joining a peacetime army?

I'll learn a technical trade without going further into debt to do so. That's a pretty great incentive, peacetime or not.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Avionics. It seems cool and interesting. I like knowing how things work and have always liked working with my hands, so it should be a good fit for me.

The money's pretty nice, too.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Hey, is it true I'll learn to drive military vehicles and that'll apply towards a civilian license? That would be pretty sweet if so.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Well, I don't have a license at all right now, so if I can take a course for a few weeks and bypass years of flopping around with various grades of learners permits, that would be awesome. That's how it was represented to me, anyway.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

"No cussing, shitbirds." That has been my experience with it so far.

Maybe it's more involved elsewhere?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Harper did give a gently caress about the military, but in a history nerd way, which is why the only things he really did was bring back rank decorations. To make it more olde timey

Thanks to Harper, I have a different rank name for a while before I'm back to mundane rank names.

Also, a propeller on my slip-ons when I'm qualified :cool:

Aviator is a stupid rank.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

All RCAF ranks should be birds. Chickadee, (Master) Sparrow, Nightingale, (Master/Chief) Vulture.

I guess officers can be condors, falcons, eagles, stuff like that.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I knew I should have gone to Timmy's after the parade today. Instead, I let my revulsion at their disgusting goods keep me away :rolleyes:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

DrakeriderCa posted:

Lol Kingston is kicking out a bunch of RMC bellboys and CFSMI nerds for refugees. This story keeps getting better.

What's happening with them, anyway? Are they just being moved to other buildings or off base entirely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Send in the PAT platoons armed with fire blankets.