Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Trouble Man posted:

Did anybody ever actually play Flames of War Vietnam, or did everyone do what I did and sperg about how cool the models were?

I don't think they're out yet. Totally cool models though. I don't see many people wanting to play the Viets; there is literally no draw when you look at the awesome choppers the Americans get. I understand it is historical etc. and I'm up for playing any side but most people (including me) will buy a few choppers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

No Pun Intended posted:

The rules were in Wargames Illustrated 266 (Dec '09)

Yup, I knew that already. The models aren't out afaik.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Anyone pick up Black Powder! yet? I really want to check it out but $53!

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Sorry, I think I read the first post when it didn't have the BP info in it yet.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Flames of War is basically WW2 arcade, whereas most historicals are charts and tables and 4500 morale rules

We have at least 12 people playing regularly at my club... great stuff!

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

I'm thinking of picking up FoW.

What kinda stuff should I buy to field a nice german panzerkompanie?

EDIT: Hi muggins, didn't know you were a goon?

Yup, not sure I recognize you though

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Those look awesome. I have about 200 Perry minis to paint as well.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2014/05/bolt-action-i-shall-return.html

I wrote up some initial thoughts on Bolt Action. Trying to get my group into it. Another 85$ 40k hardcover will help :)

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Ropes4u posted:

I have been considering hitting the local (2 hour drive) bolt action group to see if I would like this game.

Do you think there is some longevity to the game? I have not played a miniatures game and this one looks affordable.

Sorry I didn't reply earlier. It is published by Osprey so I think it'll definitely have legs, and warlord seems to have their poo poo together.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Dirt Worshipper posted:

The vikings are coming (it's time for some SAGA baby)

Those look amazing! Great job.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Ropes4u posted:

Thank you, I was being patient .:)

They also have a Tank War and D-Day expansions or campaign packs planned. They're on Amazon is you're looking for info. Gonna play this weekend, hope to get in a battle report.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I put up some thoughts again on my progress with Bolt Action. I signed up to be a Sarge, basically their version of press ganger or street team. I demo the game and if I do enough I get 25% off orders with Warlord. I wouldn't do it just for the discount, I really want to get friends into the game. You also get a demo assault on Normandy kit.

http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2014/06/bolt-action-promoted-to-sarge.html?m=1

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Flippycunt posted:

I've never really heard of this before. Just curious, how did you end up signed up for that? How do they track how many demos you're doing?

I'll put up some info later. If you Google bolt action Sarge it should show up. Basically you email their dude here in the USA and get going. I think it is US only.

My descent into historical is maddening. I ordered a PDF of rules from Too Fat Lardies.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

This thing: http://www.boltaction.net/2013/06/warlord-games-sarge-program.html ?

They're based in the same town as both GW and Mantic in the UK, so there's no reason they wouldn't have it available everywhere. I know ex-GW staff get a discount on their stuff too, if that applies to anyone here.

Yeah I realize they're in Nottingham but I recall reading somewhere that it's only available in the US? Could be totally wrong. The dude who's email that goes to is in Arizona I believe. It is not super well organized yet but I realized bolt action is very young and warlord is still getting things going.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I'm not super worried about the tanks supplement for BA. BA is still an infantry game with tanks thrown in and I think Warlord will continue in that direction. Maybe I'm just rose colored goggles for them right now though.

http://historique.weebly.com/store/p3/Bolt_Action_Pin_Marker.html

This dude sells some pretty sweet affordable pin markers for BA. Customized for your country.

http://deartonyblair.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-perry-twins-leave-games-workshop.html?m=1

Didn't see this mentioned but the Perrys have left GW. More time for historicals

Over my vacation I put together some really sweet 1/56 tanks made by JTFM and Company B. Can't recommend them enough. Also picked up some stowage from Value Gear and Company B, and transfers. BA has a huge hold on me.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I read the last few pages and I was thinking about it and I do understand people's frustration with automatic turn off towards more complicated historical games.

Unfortunately many of the Bros I'm trying to convince to play historical games are used to the high production quality of things like GW. They want to be told what models to buy where to buy them and that kind of thing. Even though they bitch about the prices of army books they want those books to tell him how to play.

They also do not want to have to navigate amongst dozens of websites of companies overseas to find the model they need. Warlord and Battlefront make it really easy. They're also sold in shops whereas many historicals are not.

I realize bolt action is definitely World War 2 arcade but all of these things plus the more simplified rules really make it attractive to get people's feet wet in historicals. Once I get them interested in historical games I can force them to play musket and tomahawk saga etcetera which admittedly are again arcade games . But at least it scratches the itch

Edit: who knows maybe in 10 years when g_w is dead we'll all be wearing jorts and Hawaiian shirts with mandals and playing the original johnny reb

muggins fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 9, 2014

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I only played v2 of FoW and I liked it a lot but there were a lot of wrongo rules interpretations. Combine that with a ton of theater lists and people got confused fast. I liked their combination of abstract but sometimes complex and strategic rules.

Right now for my club I have to focus on simpler more arcadey stuff as the gateway. I watched a video on Chain of Command and while it seems cool there also seemed to be a hangup from the get go; there was some sort of early metagame where you move around hidden stuff to represent fog of war then make jump off points or something. That kind of stuff I think would turn people off coming from 40k, pp, fantasy etc. The language TFL uses is a bit too British too. I do intend on trying their Sharpe Practice at some point but trying to explain the draw of black powder games to nerds... They just start spewing 4chan memes and yell dakkadakka

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Trying to get my buddies into historical games and all I get is oh yeah that is like ______ in 40 k universe. Not everything has to be related to 40k bro. Being too groggy will turn people off though

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

We did up a Bolt Action battle report. I narrated so sorry about my shaky rear end cam. Hope you like it.

I was looking through BTDs character models last week and saw some German dude who seemed cool. Checked him out on Wikipedia and apparently he gulaged a lot of people. Not sure why they chose to make a model of him. I guess there is a market for everything.

Fresh Coast Gaming Bolt Action Battle Report #92: http://youtu.be/qKqB002D2qU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Any historigoons going to GenCon? I'd like to get some Bolt Action in but if you have something else I can try it . I'd prefer skirmish stuff as opposed to 4 hour Flames of War games

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I've ordered from 'Warlord US' and it still comes from Britain unfortunately. They told me they'll have a warehouse here soon. Not a bad turnaround time even then. I've ordered some modeling stuff from Poland and it takes forever.

I think my favorite site is Offensive Miniatures. Such amazing models and a great branding style. I've ordered a few times and they show up fast.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Found this little guy in my box from Foundry. So awesome :hellyeah:

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Forums Terrorist posted:

Yeah the neat thing with Flames is there's a check on Battlefront shittery in the form of WW2 being public domain, so even if they decide to go Maximum GW I can just not buy from them.

I love being able to purchase lots of 28mm WWII stuff from tons of companies

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Its not a super great scale for tanks but a lot of bros won't look at a 15mm game.

I posted up some thoughts on my planning and research for my Fallschirmjager army for BA. Check it out

http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2014/09/regiments-of-renown-month.html?m=1

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

We put up another Bolt Action battle report, this time trying out Tank War. Check it out! http://youtu.be/nXRDvE0fFTQ

Also, Black Tree Design is having a 50% off sale

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

As the scenery in the vids is mostly historic I thought I'd post here.

Lindy Beige: Making scenery for wargames

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_qDkJFFNtE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VTTUyXOIAI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOYotmflDzE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl9PUJfRJTg

Some of his techniques seem downright quaint compared to what some people do for scale model stuff; but I think there is good info to be found.

Ahh god this guy's videos are amazing. Love the intros, lol

edit: All dis Chain of Command talk. Is there a place to order it in real book form in the US of A? I'm a Bolt Action guy but I like reading other rulesets sometimes

muggins fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 26, 2014

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I'm working on a seawall for our Tarawa board. Super super cheap

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 6, 2014

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Sorry guys I post from my phone and always forget about big imgs

lilljonas posted:

The basic rules are the campaign supplement for CoC, which I could elaborate on if anyone is curious,

Please do. I bought it and printed it but haven't read yet. Gonna adapt it for BA.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

This is a pro click zone right now

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I knew I was deep in the grog when I ordered this 400 page book from Amazon

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Ensign Expendable posted:

Spielberger owns and the Pz38(t) owns, you made a good life choice. Free up some shelf space, you can't ever buy just one!

Haha, I have purchased a ton of Osprey books this last year, but not a ton of the super in depth grog ones for WW2. Most of my ACW books are groggy though.

I bought a book on Slovakias participation in WW2 so I could see myself doing Slovak eastern front and National Uprising forces for BA. The national uprising was pretty sad I guess, so mostly partisans and inexperienced army dudes

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

We did another video battle report, this time 900 points USMC vs Japanese in Bolt Action. http://youtu.be/7dh46paMoLQ

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Is Easyarmy gonna get a cease and desist for FoW? That would suck for those players. It is really nice for BA.

Is there a FoW library for BattleScribe? I love it for BA, 40k, etc.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Springfield Fatts posted:

My brother picked up the D Day Bolt Action set recently and wants me to try it with him. Coming from (mostly) 40k, but also having played Infinity, DzC and Warmachine how is the playstyle of this ruleset? I know nothing other than "turns are diced by drawing die from a bag."

It is similar in many ways. The main differences:

Each unit generates an order die. These go into a bag and you pick them out then activate your units individually - they move, shoot, assault etc. Unit by unit. No alpha strike

Negatives for cover etc are in hit vs cover saves. Makes a lot more sense

Morale matters a lot more. If you get hit by a squad you take a pin. When it comes time to activate you pass a morale test if you want to do anything. Pins subtract from your to hit rolls

Everyone is a human, the weapons are similar. 40k is very much about how many special rules you can throw on the table. BA is more about force morale and strategy

Assault is super super deadly. Generally the losing side is wiped from the field.

Morale check failures remove your squad from the table. In general broken morale meant a group would be non functioning for a while, not fifteen minutes

http://www.warlordgames.com/guide-to-bolt-action-for-40k-players/

muggins fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 13, 2014

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

Has Italeri started making those 1/56 scale models for Bolt Action yet? I need an excuse to ship things other than Gunpla to my apartment.

Yep, I believe they've done a Cromwell, Panther, T34, PanzerIV and Sherman.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Springfield Fatts posted:

Thanks, this was exactly what I was looking for. First game this weekend, looking forward to it.

NP! Hope you like it. Bolt Action is the game I've been most excited about in a long, long, time.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Southern Heel posted:

I bought a whole bunch of paints for my Warmachine models in Wehrmacht/Panzer colors and I've got the bug for some Bolt-Action too - I've seen a couple of people using the WGF or Perry Miniatures to put together a 1000pt force. Has anyone got a link to some well produced video batreps which don't involve a) beasts of war b) cosplay?

We have done a few batreps so far for BA on our club channel. About 15 mins long, no cosplay or BoW. They're not super well produced as I just take the video then add a few things in - not a whole lot of time to do overlays etc.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLd4hZWIDTpYc84HuPwMR-hSsJM3vx95gN

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

BA is definitely WW2 arcade, but that makes it much more appealing and accessible for my friends, which is good. Chain of Command is barely even available for purchase from US retailers =/ I think I can get it from Brigade Games but I'm not sure

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Serotonin posted:

CoC is typical Lardies. They love what they call 'friction' in their games, the idea that as a gamer you havent got a god like over view and control of your forces, that command and control is important rather than just combat dice going your way. I guess if you come from a GW stable it is closer to something like Warmaster, not in terms of mechanics but in terms of the idea that your forces might not always do what you want them to do when you need them to do it.

Theyve written some good blogs on the topic as well as done some good podcasts via Meeples and Miniatures. If you are interested in the intention its worth having a look/listen

http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/?p=508

Holy poo poo that is a manifesto. I have Sharp Practice (their campaign thingy?) but nothing else. I need to get CoC and try dat although I'm all in on BA.

Do you have a link to the pcasts they did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I got myself a Christmas gift of Chain of Command. I imagine I'll still be a BA guy but I like checking stuff out. Thanks Historicals thread for making me get it!