Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Seems like SP2 is the go to Napoleonics system around here, but I would assume BP is more popular in general? Do either of those things matter if I just want to buy and paint some 28mm mans? I can just pick a system when the whim strikes me? Is 28mm the most popular size? I'm new to this level of grog mans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Thanks for the tips, all! 6mm looks so good when it comes to showing huge battles, but painting 28mm sounds like so much more fun.

Argh, what am I getting myself into

edit-- hahaha, $14 for 96 6mm figures!

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 2, 2017

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Do you have pictures of your Waterloo game? NWS has the Hougoumont MDF kit for like $129 and holy poo poo does it look nice.

I don't even have any mans to play with it, but I'm reading Cornwell's Waterloo right now and I'm totally in the mood.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Doorstop posted:

Thanks to you and liljonas, these are both kinda what I figured, but thought I'd cast a line. Am looking at SP2 for my big mans, since they do represent like a year's worth of painting.

Yeah this is what I like about 6mm, it's pretty cheap to paint up a march column, an attack column, a line, and a square all for the same units. Having to do the same units over and over again in 28mm would be expensive.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

"Commisar as guy who constantly shoots his own men" is some worn out poo poo in wargames.

Huh, I've been playing too many wargames, I legitimately thought that a commisar was a military officer, but it's actually a political official.

Today I learned, I guess.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Dunno if this is the best place for it, but I've got a BA M4 Sherman that I've never opened, and would be into trading it for some Napoleonics 28mm stuff.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
6mm is so cheap that it gives me crazy ideas.

Hmmm it wouldn't be too much to play out the Battle of Prague with the Prussians vs. the Austrians, even if I have to do it solo because I don't know anyone who plays SYW stuff...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Phi230 posted:

You should base the scene where Wellington comments about an officer getting his leg blown off in front of him

"By God, sir, I've lost my leg!"
"By God, sir, so you have!"

I love that quote.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

muggins posted:

Lol, love all of this. Thanks dudes. I do use pinterest but haven't hit it yet, thanks for the suggestion.

That's a good avatar you have.

(I've had avs off for about a year and just turned them back on)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
It's a new year, I'm single, and I want to get into Napoleonics finally.

Should I just start with Black Powder stuff? Or play around with really tiny fiddly stuff to play Sharp Practice or something? Or should I look around for local clubs to see what people play first?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Thanks for the advice, now I just need to find a group.

I'm in Washington, DC, in case anyone else here is.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Phi230 posted:

Bolt Action [...] in the future

Boy do I have some bad news for you about a war that happened about 75 years ago.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Class Warcraft posted:

wargame and chill

One day there will be a dating site for me...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Is there a go-to ACW system that's prolific a la Bolt Action, Black Powder, etc.? Seems like a time period that Warlord skips over, and I'm not familiar with the other big names as much.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Cessna posted:

ACW gamers love to fight over favorite systems. The biggies that come to mind (and there are many, many more) are:

- Fire & Fury, particularly Regimental Fire & Fury.
- Black Powder with the Glory Hallelujah add-on book.
- Johnny Reb.

Each has their advantages and disadvantages. See if anyone is playing any of these in your area and plan accordingly.

Ah, doh, Warlord makes a system for ACW, but they resell Perry Miniatures instead of making their own line. Now it makes sense.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Triarii?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Anyone have any experience with Pike and Shotte? It seems to be the most prevalent 30YW system out there, which I'm a big fan of. I'm thinking about buying the For God And Country box and just painting up some English Civil War armies.

That's why we got into this hobby right? To find ultra-niche systems and build up armies we'll never play against people?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Is anyone doing historicals via Tabletop Simulator these days? Just from futzing around with it for 20 minutes, it seems like a good option during the lockdown. I want to get into historicals, but I'm not going to build up an army right now since no clubs are meeting. I still need to figure out the mechanics of actually making all of that stuff ... work... in TTS, but it seems like a great solution.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Is there a best entry point into Napoleonics miniatures? Is it just... pick a country, and start buying and painting up regiments for... whatever battle you want to do? Or in y'all's experience do you not care much about historical colorings and stuff, and just say "oh those lot are the 54th Foot"?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

lilljonas posted:

I’ll do an effort post, but if you are completely new to the period I’d google napoleonic uniforms and see if something appeals to you extra much.

As for hsitoricality, you can go al the way from ”these are kind of generic French” to ”this is the 3rd corps at Wagram, with unit sizes adjusted to pre-battle casualites”.

Oh and ask a ton of questions. There are so many things I had no idea about when I started but learned from other helpful wargamers.

An effort post would be great! I'm familiar with the era, I'm just worried if I start painting up some French unit, and then a guy at my FLGS is like "hey I wanna game out Ligny this weekend" I'd have to be like ah gently caress I don't have X corps that was at Ligny.

It's not like warhams or whatever where a unit is a unit and can cut and paste into any fight. Then again maybe I'm overthinking it :)

I'll probably just get a box of French or British or Austrian or Russian line infantry and start painting what looks cool from my Osprey books. I wonder if there are wargamers out there who have every unit from some nationality painted up, I'm sure there are.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
That's such a great post, thank you! I'll probably pick up a box or two of Frenchmen and single base them for now so I can play some skirmish rules (hell, maybe even a box or two of another army so I can just solo play in my game room at home... it is quarantine after all).

And then I can just put them in sabot bases to play larger games until I can phase them out for dedicated multi-model bases.

Sounds like a good plan :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Those Shogun bases are cheap, dang. I guess square bases wouldn't make a difference if I'm playing a skirmish game a la SP?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Apparently a number of guys near me play SAGA, and I just read through the rules and it's a super quick elegant skirmish game :O

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

BULBASAUR posted:

Same here. I've yet to even proxy a game, but the rules seem really neat

Only thing that worries me is that it seems to require a bit of terrain to fully experience

I've been dicking around with it in TTS, and even just a single "woods" and a building on the terrain makes it a fun little skirmish (with 4 points). But yeah, with that small of a map (3'x4'), more terrain would make it more interesting.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
That's pretty neat, and would be really easy to put a strip of magnetic tape in between the two floor tile pieces for a simple magnetic solution,

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

lilljonas posted:

That's pretty much it for now, please feel free to ask about anything.

So, here's a question about troop makeup in battalions and making them somewhat historical.

Let's say, for example, I wanted to base up a 36-model representation of the 33ème Régiment d'lnfanterie de Ligne as they fought at Austerlitz. Is there a good way to research that or do you just kind of make an educated guess? It looks like your batallions have 1 base of grenadiers, then 4 of fusiliers, then 1 base of voltigeurs. If I were playing Black Powder, could I just base up that mix of models and say "that's a line infantry battalion"? For coloring, do you just kind of wing the pompon colors as you like it, or is there a reference out there?

Judging from the Osprey book, looks like the 33rd had pink lapels and collars, which is dope. I've got that much at least. And... I'm just realizing that 1805 fusiliers had bicornes anyway, so it doesn't matter!

I guess if there's one hobby I can be overly obsessive with, it's this one...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
liljonas to the rescue again. Thank you!

I didn't even know you did a 33eme Line, I just went through the Austerlitz OOB until I saw an officer I recognized (Davout), and picked the first line infantry regiment listed after that.

But also in my drunken wisdom last night I ordered the Perry 1812-1815 line infantry box, whoops. No Austerlitz for these guys!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I just spent more on sabot bases than I did on the actual box of models I'm painting up next week.

THATS WARGAMING BAYBEE

Got some SAGA Vikings and some 1812-15 French infanterie de ligne coming on Monday, so that's my next few weeks sorted. Never mind my ideas for terrain on top of that.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
If you mean between agree of Vikings, crusades, magic, etc... I mean you COULD do it, I don't see why not. But I don't think it's specifically sanctioned.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Speaking of Saga, I just painting up my very first Viking, a hirdman. I call him Torbjörn. For winging a free-handed shield I think it's fine.

First time using flocking. I uhh. Apparently I have no idea what I'm doing. How do I coat it with pva after it dries and still have it looking grassy? Won't it just glop it all down?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I did all of the things listed above :/ I think shorter grass is the answer

Though I did add some watered down PVA on top of the grass and already it looks a lot more coherent.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I love that huginn+muninn shield, I may rip that off for my warlord I'm painting :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Just ran out of my trusty Tamiya surface primer... Are there any primers I can get at the Home Depot that anyone can vouch for? I wanna paint this weekend and not wait for more primer to come :(

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
1/5 done with my Viking warband. I'm happier with the grass now, I think I was just overdoing it before.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Has anyone dug into 2FL's newest, "Infamy, Infamy!"? I'm watching videos about it on their Youtube page, and the way that terrain is procedurally generated is really neat.

Between that and SAGA's Age of Hannibal just coming out, I'm really itching to dig into that era, but I have so many Vikings and Frenchmen on my painting table :negative:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Fair point. My Roman history is a bit rusty, so I see "Roman soldiers" and have a bad habit of mixing them all up into one lot :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah I think I've be more keen on 15mm or 6mm Ancients for that very reason, maybe something like DBA or Hail Caesar? Having those huge long lines of troops is really emblematic of ancient warfare.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Does De Bellus Antiquitatum still have a following? Seems like it's been around forever, and it may be large superceded by stuff like Saga and Infamy Infamy at this point.

Might be a good use for 6mm ancients, but it requires special basing sizes, so might not be worth it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

mllaneza posted:

f there's a better game than DBA in the 2'x2' table, fewer than 50 figures per army, about an hour to play category I'm all ears.

Fair point! It's really intriguing. And if a) Baccus opens up again or b) I can find a good US source of 15mm ancients, I'm very intrigued by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Springfield Fatts posted:

Thanks, next question: Can the Infamy deck or whatever be copied from the rulebook and printed out or do they force you to buy the deck of cards also?

If it's anything like the Sharp Practice deck, you can just make up a bag of chips, or make your own cards, whatever.