Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
http://stgeorge.craigslist.org/mcy/4656688185.html

Oh god I have enough broken poo poo around here.

E: missed the second one.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
well theres your problem. He has dog bones in the tranny.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

M42 posted:

don't judge me

I will judge the poo poo out of you if you don't purchase this.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'd ride the poo poo out of it without care.

I've ridden a lot worse than a JBwelded case, poo poo.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

I was thinking about getting a KTM EXC for dual sporting/adv touring stuff but then I downloaded the manual and read the maintenance intervals.

Seriously? at 135 hours non-racing use, replace the piston, valves, valve springs, valve seats, conrod and all engine bearings?

You buy a drz to ride, you buy a ktm to perform maintenance.

I was thinking about buying a ktm last year. a friend was giving me poo poo about it. I come over to watch you wrench enough as is, when are you going to get something so that we can actually go riding. :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Angryboot posted:

Dude if she's responding with "that's a ring" you're gonna have to take care of that soon.

Time to trade her in!

Shiiit my spouse wants me to buy more bikes.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

RadioPassive posted:

Hah, nevermind, he says he's firm at $5000. Good luck, buddy.
gently caress him in the rear end. Theres a NE at a dealer near me for that price.

I paid 1800 for my 2006.

Grease loving everything. most years are ok. avoid the 08-09 ones.

replace the counter balance shaft tensioner set "doohickey" and it'll go on forever.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'd ride the poo poo out of it. but I am lacking in the reasoning department.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Digital_Jesus posted:

20k isn't a lot for a single unless it hasn't been properly maintained.

Yeah mine is screaming up on 20 thou. Its a paintshaker at higher revs.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Here any D/S or something with a plate commends a 3-4k pricetag.

Bay area prices are just dumb in general though.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Grab some drz engines. flip em on ebay for lolll 1500 bucks.

Gorson posted:

Like the North American Moose it is based on, the KLR has not changed in millions of years.

Seriously though, up until the redesign in 2008 nothing changed.

and even then, spokes got a little thicker, some more plastic poo poo to rattle off, and a more modern swingarm

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

Swing-arms that only do one thing, how quaint.

Never used one as a hammer have ya? :D

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Definitely not drz or even dr forks.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Bikes dont require smog here kids.

Inspections only when you go to plate something. lights, mirrors, no 3/C in digit 8. Beyond that? lol doesnt matter, ride your poo poo.

2 smoke is hard to plate but its possible.. I owned a yz250 sm that was ca plated...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

Can you even make a u-turn on that thing, or is the correct answer three right turns then a left?

"peterbilt shuffle"

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
theres Trail Tech too...

Just join the bright side.

yeah at $500 too...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
fyi theres a pair of really nice drz s models on adv rider for 2000 and 2200 respectively. they have ~35k miles. freshish topends. new model plastics.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
They also managed to make it slower than the gasoline model.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Basegasket leak is easily rectified with a 790cc big bore kit. :3:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
434 is 94mm dia which is fine. it'll be as reliable as stock unless he's done some weird fuckery.

if it starts cold/hot and it's full of oil/doesn't pump it out of the exhaust it's p much fine.
It looks like a commuter which is good...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Supradog posted:

Goodbye dream.

:same:
I'd love to own another small fzr.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've seen some people graft in a mountain bike hydro brake master to allow for a lhrb setup. Its plumbed into the rear masters output.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Find an on ramp and punch it in 2nd gear to make sure the geardogs aren't hosed up from being mistreated. Rest of the engine will outlast you.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

MetaJew posted:

Should I sell my 2008 SV650SF and buy a 2019 790 Duke? Kind of would be cool to get some modern safety features like traction control and ABS.

My first bike was a KTM 625SMC, which was a piece of crap and super unreliable, so I'm hesitant to consider KTM again but this does seem pretty cool.

No keep the SV.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

KTM: a royal pain to maintain, will reward your effort by making GBS threads itself anyway. Bike is designed poorly, so if it breaks you have to design and develop a fix to the inherent problem or it'll break again.

If your number one concern is reliability none of these are for you, stick with the SV or get an SV1000 or just accept the inevitable and buy a honda, any kind will do.

Its amazing how lovely the 790A sounds. Like it sounds worse than my clapped out nearly 100k-mile early as gently caress lc8 950. Enormous amounts of rattle and sounds like its eating itself alive. Hardware rattles off it like a RoyalPaintshaker. That and a buddy keeps having abs module failures offroad which drops the rear brake completely and without warning. Second warranty module is already dying. Nevermind 10 pounds of electric poo poo in a 5 pound bucket that is the headlight/cockpit, or the fact you gotta take bodywork off to adjust the ugly af headlamp. Super stupid on an adv where it sees use unladen and laden use often.

I don't know what this loving poo poo is, but I was right in that I didn't want one 3 years ago when I went and bought a 950 knowing the 790 was hitting the dealers soon, I'm still sticking by it now.
I can't recommend those bikes to anybody and I've not even ridden one yet. (Though I'll try one post Fauci Ouchie)

Basically buy a mt07/t7 rather than go 790 anything.

Maintenance? #1-4 + proactively look for stuff actively trying to poo poo itself apart. Aka The KTM Method.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I kinda wish we got the xt660z here in the states, i'd frankenbike one.

The rally is kind of a heavy undersuspended pig for what it is. Its basically the 250l with some fragile bodywork. Some loons on advrider have had good result spooning in the cb500x engine for an increase in 20-30lb. That coupled with some aftermarket suspenders would turn it into a pretty good bike. The cbr300 engine slots right in with zero work.

The only plated crf that's more dirt oriented than the drz is the CRF450L. The 250l and its derivatives is a bit porkier on really really cheap suspension. We're talking the shock has no resivoir, no adjustments outside of preload, and is probably filled with cooking oil its so bad. The SM variant of the drz got some pretty decent mx suspension components for an otherwise ok bike.

Either will do some TET work or multi-thousand-mile journeys. The drz might do it a little better with its better suspension and marginally more power. However he aluminum subframe is welded together by derpy the shitbot and you'll 100% crack it with more than 1/15th of a goon's weight in cargo hanging off it. Its seriously the worst welds I have ever seen a robot fart out. I've seen better using two loving car batteries and jumper cables.
With either bike, pack lightly. The Rally is on the CRF's steel frame, and is known for tearing out footpeg mounts in drops as the frame is pretty thin. Afaik the subframe on those is pretty alright. The suspension isn't really up to hauling everything and the kitchen sink though.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

They drink petrol and oil.

They also sound glorious

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Scam Likely posted:

There are some great deals on used 675R's around here, under 10k. So that seems like a less powerful, less expensive, more responsible upgrade when compared to a $17k+ Italian litre bike.

lol username post combo.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

syzygy86 posted:

I always wonder what the story is behind these things. Someone blew up their DRZ, had too much free time on their hands, and thought, hey, I have this old lawnmower...

To be fair I paid $400 for the fucker.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
having left over parts when installing a big bore kit. (the gudgeon pin clip) I reused gear 4,5, some of the primary drive parts the bare head, and that was about it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
a decade +/- is all that most are obligated to support their product.

Stuff like filters, fork service parts and such they'll probably stock. Especially if its shared with numerous bikes and an engine they produced over several years.
Non stock items bet on week to a few weeks to get. NLA is NLA.
Most of the ancillaries you're quoting is generic as hell and used all over the place.

fuel pumps, generic. bosch, denso, walbro.
engine management sensors, generic lego, used literally everywhere. again, bosch, denso, etc.
steering head bearings, generic tapered roller. skf/nsk/national/etc.

Worry about dumb poo poo like trim, radiators, coolant hoses, fuel pump strainers/filters and stuff like that.

The 636:
Run it hard through the lower gears and wind the engine out. no hickups? starts quickly and idles smooth cold and hot? buy.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
poo poo i wish i fit on one. fuckin' knees are higher than my elbows.

so that i could drop a cr500 engine into it and lollmao

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Russian Bear posted:

This math doesn't make sense.... how can this guy be so far behind? Unless he bought a used 390 for above MSRP and wants to get rid of it immediately.

hahahaha

My dude.

People are bad as gently caress with money and get hosed on finance terms. They're 100% underwater on this shitbike.

They're trying to roll the savings off to some sucker for [checks notes] $600 over a 2022 model.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
hundred feet of elevation gain in a thousand miles.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

yummycheese posted:

does cali let you register salvage titles? where i live its not realistic in to be able to register and insure a salvage title

Yes. Most insurers won't give you comp though.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
there's no way that's not a scam.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Geekboy posted:

(Barring leather lol) I am really disappointed with how straight most gear is.

Same. Even with some bright mf orange gear it's still pretty tame.
One of my helmets is loud as all gently caress, it'd be nice to find matching gear.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
a 'borrowed' picture of an ape.

the only one thing I've worth about that much I'm not getting rid of. Not for any bike.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
you meet the rattiest milk crates on a klr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Seems suspiciously cheap.

Normie models iirc tend to cook the shock.
tft display water ingress issues is still a thing
If it doesn't sound like a bag of broken glass and hammers, run it. Acquaintance of mine has(d?) one with 6k miles and it sounds worse than my 75k mile 20 year old ktm.
The air compressor is kinda hilarious and dumb.

I've done minor things on one and they're kind of miserable to work on.
175-230 min is the book time for the 18,600mi service.

(the 950 has a 320min book interval for the same service, it's spot on if not a little low)