Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You are forgetting about all the free alternative energy money Tesla got from the Stimulus free money giveaway. That is enough cash for them to burn through until they can unload enough shares to fund a golden parachute for even the janitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Radd McCool posted:

I knew I should have picked up a DOW 10,000 hat.

My dow 10,000 hat options are going up like crazy!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think most of the valuable KMart properties have already been sold or scam sold leased back from the bankruptcy.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Baddog posted:

I do. Buy and hold in regular account, at least past short term cap gains. Frequent trading and high dividend stuff (mreits) in my ira.

Pretty counter intuitive, but it makes tax time a whole lot better.

Yeah any short term stuff I want I just use the 401k to make taxation easier since you don't get any savings from your regular income rates anyway on short term gains. You get to keep the tax until you withdrawal so theoretically you end up way ahead. If you lose all your 401k on gold options don't cry to us.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Dolphin posted:

Thanks, I'll check it out.

And does anyone know of any decent backtesting software that's free (or cheap) to use? I've done searches but can't find much, and I have trouble believing that there aren't any backtesting sites or open source programs around.

The trading model builders I know use SAS, or at least they did the last time I asked. It is not free but you might be able to get an academic version. Statistical modeling is not really something you can just pickup in your spare time though.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I read that retail investors are starting to panic into the market, and they are probably buying 50% APPL so ride the train to 1000.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Well your loses are not really capped except by the fact that your broker will liquidate your assets when your account reaches zero or your margin borrowing limit for you. If you had enough assets in the account this could never happen.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
As soon as Cummins gets natural gas fleets that are cheaper to operate then diesel, demand will be fine. The commercial fleet gets replaced around every 7 years. I love natural gas as a power source. Eventually Israel or Iran will nuke the other one too so it has that going for it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You should have contrarianed off all the Apple and bought up Nook.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Will day traders make more profit tomorrow then Facebook every has?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Hasn't the boat already sailed on zipcar and all this future growth is already priced in?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think the game is GM, no longer managed by idiots.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Facebook should adopt the SA business model and ban users at random then charge them 10 bucks to get access to their friends.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

nebby posted:

It's hard to imagine how this is *not* going to come to pass, and once it does, anything using Facebook's technology and data will have to pay for it.

At least facebook has over taken APPL in this forum as far as post count goes. I sure hope to hell I don't have to sign up to facebook ever to take a poo poo. Please enter your facebook id to lift toilet lid. Status, pinching a loaf.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Cheekio there are plenty of low fee mutual funds that will expose you to stocks and allow fee free automatic weekly purchases. I would start with one of those. I like Schwab/Options Express as a broker.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Robotic killing machines is where it is at. Who builds them? The problem with space is it is only valuable if you have to leave this planet, and if it gets that bad down here money won't be worth anything. Defense robots are what the future holds.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

I love Baddog's posts because you can't tell if he is posting in PITR or BFC just by reading them.

Edit, actually the PITR posts are logical and BFC's are all gambol voodoo.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Hey now don't blame us poor CPAs because your 100(0)% annual return stock ends up being a bubble. Sue Deloitte if they issued material misstated statements and said they weren't.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Computers love a bubble growth stock, until there is a bad earnings report and it crashes to sanity.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

QuarkJets posted:

I want to do some day trading with some extra cash that I have. I can easily put about $5k into this safely (as in it could become $0 and I'd be okay financially, just upset that I lost $5k). Is this dumb? Do you need to start off with a lot of money in order to get anywhere when it comes to day trading? Would I just be wasting my time reading the literature if I didn't start off with a much larger base?

I'm approaching this in the same way as I'd approach gambling; ready to lose whatever I put in and walk away, but also ready to learn the odds before putting down money.

Your account won't have enough assets to be allowed to daytrade unless you have more cash in it that you are not actively trading.

Can I interest you in option trading if you want some nice risk reward?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Most loans are based upon a 6 months moving averages so specific days rates don't really bother anyone that isn't betting on that days rate. We already know all bankers are to incompetent to make money without being crooks.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

bam thwok posted:

First you've gotta understand the four financial statements and how they relate to each other:
http://www.quickmba.com/accounting/fin/statements/

The information and format of these documents are standardized across most firms in the US based on what are called Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. Because of this, you can compare similar companies using the same metrics to pick out which are the riskiest or best performing. There's about a million different ratios people use, either alone or in tandem, based almost entirely on personal preference or specific to the industry in question being examined.

Cash and cashflow is the only thing that is hard(er) to manipulate. Read the footnotes even if they make your face fall off. You still have the problem that the market already has experts doing this and they are probably better at it then you. The game is rigged, just ride the bubbles to bankruptcy!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
People think Viacom is winning the showdown.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

PRADA SLUT posted:

Professionals sell options, amateurs buy them.

There are crazy high prices on puts and calls all the time. I think hedge funds abuse them somehow. I love selling puts for stocks I want to own anyway.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
MSFT is great if they would just stop buying other companies. I think they will survive the next 6 months. No one will know windows 8 office 2014 is garbage until then.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Harry posted:

It's been a while since I've heard anything good about them.

Intel will have a hard time keeping margins up with the decline of the PC. AMD will suffer a worse margin squeeze.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Dolphin posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they were gone Monday. 440 million is a lot of money for them to lose.

Chase passed on extending them credit supposedly.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Turkeybone posted:

Ehh they still suck and this sad old man seems to be the only one interested in buying this lovely company, I think they're gone in five years (but I'm not going to put any serious money on it).

How do you bet against a private company? Buy its competitors. Short its creditors?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Office costs me $100 a year on average per user. Office 365 is slightly more but lets my users put it on their home machines as well. Training these idiots is impossible. I will never switch if the payoff is only $100 a user per year.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Dolphin posted:

Other than a minimum wage increase in China and no QE, can anyone think of a reason why STX has dropped 12%? Because it's getting attractive.

Plus the PC is dead. I mean I guess servers will have to store most data now, but I think the number of units being sold will decline.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Yeah there aren't any good forums for that since if a successful strategy gets, it's effectiveness greatly deminishes. So really there is no reason for people to share there ideas since they would just be hurting their business and helping their competitiors.

For value investing, this forum is amazing from what I hear. That is, if you can get in. https://www.valueinvestorsclub.com

Even a small trader will ruin your returns as they will cherry pick your best positions, making them more expensive. You could easily lose 10% of your return to a small day trader running a similar strategy.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Turkeybone posted:

Just bought a Macbook Pro w/ Retina with (part of) my Apple proceeds. :smug:

I bought a tank of gas with my Exxon dividend check, I can't lose!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

mindphlux posted:

lol are any of you actually buying or selling apple stock based on your guesses about the future direction of the mobile market and the ability of different companies in the same sector to capitalize on eachother's misgivings

because

No everyone is just buying Apple because everyone else is and that is the new normal. Ride the bubble to the burst! I called 700 when it crossed 600, I am calling ride the bitch to 800 now. (Note I don't own any Apple because I am stupid.) What happened to the guy who had everything in Apple. Anyway don't short peoples vanity, you will never win.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Dr. Eldarion posted:

I imagine it'll work exactly the same as it does now: insurance.

IIRC, they say the only accident their self-driving cars have been in were when the car was being manually controlled.

They are probably programmed to drive conservatively, plus I think if they can't see they pull over and stop where as cabbies or anyone else just crosses their fingers and hammers it down.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

What can I expect to happen to Sprint stock tomorrow morning?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49408877

Should I set up a limit sell price right now? I bought in initially around $4.75 to hold long but wouldn't mind getting out on a spike.

You can expect it to go up to $7.30 a share? Is this a trick question.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So Google, Amazon and Apple all miss? Which tablet do I bet on? It must be a case where too much supply kills everyone. Shorting blackberry if it is above zero forever.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
That reminds me I shorted a fake 25K of AMD on a mock trading simulator 2 years ago. Time to collect my fake profits. Losing a greater share of a dying market is not the way to make money.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You can just tell your broker that you make over $200K. They will let you open the account. Once you have the account open making 200k a year will be easy! There is no way you will lose all your money. Security laws only allow certain securities that don't follow all the reporting rules to be sold to informed investors only, that is why there is a limit because they don't want you to get ripped off. making 200k a year means you would never invest in Madoff or GM or Enron and get swindled out of everything.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

scavok posted:

I'm hesitant about Tesla for one fundamental reason: lithium ion batteries.

Built in obsolescence will drive sales of new units. This is probably a plus. Why do you think you get a new laptop every 3 years? I am hesitant because I don't think they have a competitive advantage or net income? (Not sure on that one) Tesla buyers are like Iphone buyers, they will have to have the latest version. Buyers of $100k cars don't care about resale. They normally corporate lease them and replace them yearly for the tax savings and ability to screw the passive investors out of profits. The stock probably has priced in that they will sell a million cars a year or something though, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Baddog posted:

Are they subsidized at all by the car companies/govt? How much do they charge?

Yes and yes. 30% federal tax credit to install charging infrastructure, and Nashville, (Nissan leaf USA headquarters), is subsidizing a $10K per unit DC quick charger. There are companies, like Chargepoint, that are trying to monetize electric charging. They have a good business plan as they operate like paypal, they take a cut of the fee the owner of the equipment charges for payment processing. I have paid $2 to charge twice, but the alternative was a $12 parking space rental. The market doesn't really know what to charge yet. Most chargers are still free in Indiana. The main problem with the charging infrastructure is that there are 3 different plugs and no one is going to budge. It is beta max vs vhs with Tesla super plug as the elitist we will build our own standard on the side. Most of the equipment manufactures have built in connections for whatever standard the owners want to implement though so converting them to the winner won't be a problem. I charge at home 99% of the time. It would be nice to be able to drive on longer trips but I just keep a spare ICE powered car around for that. That would be the only reason I would want pay chargers available.