Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Palladium posted:

As a local, depending on your schedule I might be able to offer myself as a free, very open-minded, non ripoff (and bored) tour guide in Singapore.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kru
Oct 5, 2003

ReindeerF posted:

Singapore is EPCOT Hong Kong, yes. Mechanical birds, dyed water, speakers hidden in rocks, etc. You are correct.

Lol

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Cabe :(

kru
Oct 5, 2003

caberham posted:

Man Singapore goon meet was super fun

What Singapore goons??

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Yeah, let's catch up when I'm back from Scotland. :hellyeah:

kru
Oct 5, 2003

caberham posted:

Travel advice from 5 years on is mostly irrelevant

Reindeer with his grandad advice. Keep it real, jackass!!!

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Lol, if you want to buy the best vapes and/fidget spinner this guy LITERARY has no clue.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Shnicker posted:

Some more advice solicitation... I'm going to be doing my CELTA in Bangkok in September. Any recommendations for a long-ish term place to stay near the Sala Daeng BTS station? After being in Singapore I kinda forgot what Thai prices are like. Maybe 15-20k baht for a month sounds reasonable? It would be nice if it had a pool and a gym too, but I've been spoiled.

And hopefully I'll FINALLY be able to meet some Bangkok goons there.

Singapore goons out own Bangkok goons day in, day out, sorry friend

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Depends where. It's absolutely doable - assume you will be working/studying. Give me a location, and I'll give you places to look at.

Also, is that total per month or just rental? (Utilities etc can be a pain here)

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Okay, so -

2-300 is about right, just making sure that's not going to gut you.

For 2k you are looking at a studio, out of town or geylang like you say. I wouldn't recommend the geylang approach, as most of those condos are tiny.

You might actually be better off around where I live (west coast way) there's a load of studio apartments up for grab at the 2k mark, near MRT and nice to live. It's not centre of town, but that's literally 7 mins / 6$ in a taxi so, who cares.

If you need help, I can set you up give you a hand etc.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

LimburgLimbo posted:

Hey sorry I never responded here but wanted to thank for the offer of help.

Ended up taking a pretty nice small 1 bedroom around Little India. Got it for 1600 but I definitely should have lowballed a bit more on my offer haha. I really wanted a place a bit closer to the center of the city with decent late night food etc and so far this place seems to fit the bill.

Awesome. Give me a shout if you want to meet up for a few beers or so - I'm goon verified!

:hellyeah:

kru
Oct 5, 2003

caberham posted:

Holy poo poo no amount of traveling will fix your world view, you are as bad as the tourists who need to eat McDonald’s everyday

Didn't you literally take cup noodles to Europe for workmates, etc?

:thunk:

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Grab is Uber, they bought them out.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Back in Bangkok for a couple of days. This city is getting increasingly fancier every time I come back here. They are streamlining taxis at the airport and have these new machines that direct you. I took a 90-minute traffic choked taxi ride for a mere 400 baht on the meter without a peep from the driver to rip me off. I felt bad for the guy so gave him extra. Also went to the new Siam Icon since it is next to my hotel. The place is pretty nuts, even by Thai/Asia megamall standards.

This may also be an illusion as I have progressively upgraded my accommodating every time I visit here. Ten years ago it was a dump at Khao San; now I am at a riverfront Hilton. The ironic thing is that so many places near Khao San have gotten expensive that the price difference isn't that much.

Is that the place with the wee boat you can take to the MRT?

kru
Oct 5, 2003

BizarroAzrael posted:

Funnily enough, I can to ask about Grab. I'm planning how to get from Singapore Changi airport to my hotel, probably on Orchard. It's an hour by public transport, or Google maps offers 20 minutes via Grab for under 15SGD, us that the way to go? It seems like good value, maybe it's exploitative or bad in some way I don't see?

It will be more than that, but probably the cheapest option. Cab will be 25 odds and much more convenient.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I lived in Singapore for 8 years, so any questions please give me a shout.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

ReindeerF posted:

Best Scotch restaurant in S'pore plz.

There's 2 and they are both awful my friend, let me tell you!!!

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

I've never been and have been lazy about traveling since my son hasn't been a great age for tourism plus covid. I'll need to get over there in a year or two.

How in gods name have you never been to vietnam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Hoi An is way, way better than Da Nang, but yeah you can easy see both, it's a cheap taxi between them.