Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

The Wildcard posted:

Edit: If anyone has any island/beach stories, which ones are awesome, which ones to avoid, I'd be interested, I'm still trying to decide about that.

I agree with Ringo R and say stay the hell away from Phuket. It's just too big and expensive and crowded. I'd actually say the same thing about Koh Samui too, although it's not quite as horrible.

Koh Phangan was nice if you avoid Haad Rin (where the full moon party is held). Phangan gets a bad rap from the full moon party but it's a big island and plenty of beautiful beaches to visit.

Koh Chang was alright, some decent beaches, but it didn't really blow my mind like some of the quiet beaches on Phangan. I stayed on Lonely Beach for pretty cheap though, like 300 baht ($9US) for a bungalow.

Koh Lanta was pretty nice if you don't mind seeing Swedish families everywhere. I spent New Years there but I didn't get to see much of the island because of the SEVERE FOOD POISONING I got.

Out of all the islands I went to, my absolute FAVORITE by far is Koh Mook. It's a little touristy, but completely empty compared to places like Phuket, Samui, Phangan, etc. The easiest way to get there is to make your way down to Trang (I took a $5 minibus ride from Surat, but you could take the train from Bangkok or maybe even fly). Once in Trang, it's only $8 or $9 to get a minibus to the pier + a long-tail boat ride to the island. There are two main resorts on the island, one on the little eastern peninsula (Sivilai) and the big Charley Beach resort on the western side. They can be really expensive, but we stayed on the eastern side at a little place called Koh Mook Gardens (400 baht a night for a double). They offer free rides to Charley Beach every day, which is a really beautiful beach. I went with my girlfriend and another couple and for a full day boat tour around the island (4 stops, including amazing snorkeling and the famous Emerald Cave) it was only 800 baht total, 200 baht each.

Just imagine those tall limestone cliffs falling into the ocean, and your own little longtail boat just dropping anchor at what seems to be a random place near that cliff just so you can snorkel for as long as you want. There are few boats around. Then you head to the Emerald Cave, which is a cave in the cliff that you have to swim through for 80 meters. I believe we were lucky in that no one was there when we were, but the cave leads to a small beach that's completely surrounded by these giant cliffs. It's beautiful but I believe the cave would get pretty touristy. Then the boat brings you around to other, quiet, beautiful beaches where there's not a soul in sight. THIS is what I wanted to experience in Thailand ever since I got here a year ago. Throw in some delicious seafood and a couple scary motorbike rides and it was the best time I had in Thailand so far.

I only have two months left, but I plan on going to one of Koh Tao or Koh Libong, or maybe both. Or maybe I'll check out one of those islands far south on the Andaman coast. I'll post more later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

First off I have an unlocked iPhone so I would like to get a prepaid with a couple of minutes. Where is the closest place to buy a card once I get out of the airport?

Whats a good place to go to visit outside of Bangkok for a day trip. My friend who I'm meeting up in Bangkok told me for day trips I could goto Pattaya or Hua Hin. But I've read in guides that there's not much in Hua Hin besides shopping.

You can buy SIM cards at booths at the airport and some of those booths are open 24 hours. You can also get them at any 7/11 or Family Mart or most other little shops.

As far as a nice day trip, I'd recommend Ayutthaya. There are some nice ruins and temples and it's only about an hour outside of Bangkok.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

mental jipsee posted:

I lived in Thailand a bit a while back. Is getting a job teaching English there still as easy as it was several years ago? What about with schools on the islands/near the beach? I assume everyone would want to teach there so they'd be the hardest.

Well I'm in Surat Thani teaching English now. I have some friends teaching on Koh Samui and Phuket. So while I don't think you'll be teaching on a beach, you should be able to find something with nearby access to the beach. From my experience, it seems that there are a lot of job possibilities in the area, but then again, the pay isn't that great. I get about $800US a month which isn't too bad. Of course, I'm not here for the money.

But yeah, it's not too difficult to find a job if you look semi-respectable and treat it with a bit of professionalism.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

Ribsauce posted:

Is that 800 a month plus a place to live? How do you survive on that salary? What are your expenses like?

Do those islands have high speed internet access? I feel like such a goon for asking. I'm sure phuket does, but Koh Samui?

What is teaching english like? Is it cool? A coworker's son just dropped everything (at 29) and jumped on a plane to Japan to do it. I'm curious what his life is about to be like

Yeah, it's $800 a month plus the school pays rent for the place I'm living at (not utilities). It's not a super luxurious house, but it's nice enough. I'd be surprised if I ever paid $10 in one month for utilities. $800 doesn't sound like much, but it's more than enough to live here in Surat at least. Plus it leaves plenty of money to take some weekend trips. I could get by on 1000 baht a week easily, including gas for my motorbike (which only cost me $350 to buy and I'll sell next week for the same amount) and cell phone credit. Of course that means you're not getting drunk all the time, but that estimate includes a couple beers from 7/11. When I'm teaching, the school even gives us a free lunch, so if you spend 200 baht a day on food while you're living and working here, you're really trying to spend money. If you get drunk every night, you might run into some troubles on that salary, but even then you should be fine. You'll definitely feel the pinch when you go to places like Samui or Phuket, but you can just avoid going there. There are plenty of other beautiful, quiet, fun places in this area. In general, I'd spend about 1500-2000 baht a week and that would be eating and drinking whatever I want (not a huge drinker but enjoying several beers).

You can pretty much find high speed internet anywhere that's not a really remote island. It'll get expensive on some islands though, like 2-3 baht a minute. Right now I'm at a tiny coffee shop in Surat getting some good speeds on this high speed internet.

I love teaching here. I'm with a language school that pays a little less than others, but gives you a lot more freedom and a lot less paperwork. I was teaching P1 students (6-7 year olds) and I loved it. There was always a Thai teacher to help with discipline and interpretation, and it was by far the best and easiest job I ever had. I also taught a few hours a week at the nice hospital here in town. All in all, I worked 21 hours a week. Maybe 25 if you include planning and stuff for my classes. So that's something to consider when you hear what your wages are. Most schools require a lot more of your time and don't really pay you much more. Not to mention, Surat is within a few hours from every major beach and island in the south (Samui, Phangan, Tao, Phuket, Lanta, Krabi, etc.). We went to Koh Lipe last weekend, which is as far away as you can go from Surat in southern Thailand, and it took us about 8 hours.

edit: I guess I should mention that I'm living pretty basically compared to most other people. $10 a month in utilities because we don't have an air conditioner. It can get hot but whatever, it's usually not too bad in the house and we've got plenty of fans. We don't have any pay-TV service (it would suck anyway). We don't have internet in our house because our language school has free wireless and every other restaurant or coffee shop in town has free wireless too. Also, there's no water during the day, but that's just unique to my house. Just let a giant container fill with water overnight and you have more than enough for the next day. Most places aren't like this, but I just wanted to paint a clearer picture. I spend about $10 a month on gas for my motorbike, unless I take it out of town. $15-$20 on cell phone credit. If you really like cheese you're kinda screwed, although you can buy a 2kg block of good-enough supermarket mozzarella or cheddar for about $18. I pay more than $3 for dinner if I feel like splurging, but if you feel like eating out and drinking a couple beers, it'll still be only about $10. Of course, this is all Surat-specific, but it's probably not too much different in other similar, not-touristy cities with a very small expat community.

LosMein fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 10, 2010

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
All this red shirt news... I've got a flight from Bangkok on the 19th and I was taking a night train from Surat to Bangkok next Monday night (15th). I was around for the Songkran troubles last year, but I was in Chiang Mai and we didn't feel any of the effects at all. Are they expecting it to be worse than that? I don't really have a grip on Thai politics because I don't really like to discuss it with the locals.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

Steve. posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for good diving islands off the west coast of Thailand? We're as keen to party as we are to dive, but since we can do that on Koh Tao I suspect we'll be more interested in the diving.

I've checked out Wikitravel and so far Koh Lipe looks good, but... any suggestions are welcome. We don't want to leave Thailand as we'll have a 60 day single entry visa.

I don't dive, but I went to Lipe last week and did some snorkeling and the water was amazingly clear. I just came back from Railey two days ago and I didn't do anything of the sort, but it seems like there were quite a few different groups offering diving tours of a bunch of islands in the area. I don't think you could go wrong with Lipe. There are a bunch of islands in that group too.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
So I'm coming back to Thailand in May. I've mostly been lurking, but I'd definitely like to meet up with some goons for beer in Bangkok when I get there.

Completely random question - since I'm coming back on a semi-permanent basis and I usually pack extremely lightly, I think this time I'd like to take advantage of my full luggage allowance. I am friends with a Thai family and they have younger children. If I brought my old (US) Gamecube over for them, would it work on a Thai TV?

I could just travel with a carry-on, but considering the airline gives me 100 lbs to work with and I'm going directly there, I figure might as well have some fun with it.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting up at the beginning of May and sipping on a nice cold Leo.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
I'm headed back to Thailand next week. I was there for a year a few years ago, and I've been dying to go back since then. So I'm heading back to teach English down in Surat.

I'll be in Bangkok for a few days next week - May 1 to 4. I'll be staying at the Suk 11 guesthouse... on Sukhumvit Soi 11. Normally I'd look into other parts of the city, but I'm going to be meeting up with a friend that works for the US Embassy and his family lives nearby. Plus it's close to a lot of mass transit.

So if anyone wants to meet up for a few drinks next week, let me know. I don't have too much planned other than a dentist appointment during the day. God, I can't wait to be back in Thailand.

PS Sorry Sheep-Goats - I really did want to meet up in New York to go to Chao Thai but the time got away from me. Hopefully next time.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Well I'm at the airport waiting to start my voyage back out to Thailand. In about 32 hours I'll be landing in Bangkok. I'll be there for a few days before going down to Surat. If anyone is up for some beers/food I'll be available Wed or Fri.

Last time I was in Thailand was before smartphones took off. Since I'll be there for a while (Surat in particular), is there any particular company or service to recommend? I have a crappy little Nokia to hold me over at first, but I figure I'll head over to MBK to get some kind of smartphone. Will it even work down in Surat? I'm a bit out of the loop. Thanks.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Does anyone know of a good, CHEAP place to stay on Samui? I'm just going to be there one night. I'll have my motorbike (driving to the ferry myself) so it doesn't really matter where on Samui it is. Just as long as it's cheap (preferably less than 800 for a double room).

Thanks

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Has anyone here ever been to Gunung Mulu National Park in Malaysian Borneo? I met a few travelers a week or two ago that mentioned it to me, but I was wondering if anyone here knew any good details about it. I know the best way to get there is to fly in, but the 12 hour boat option sounds like it could be fun one way. We'll be going at the very beginning of October.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunung_Mulu_National_Park

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

Tomato Soup posted:

Oh hey, I'm right by that right now in Kuching. I'm sick as a dog but if I recover quickly, I might go check it out.

Ferries doesn't seem to be a viable option for transport to East Malaysia and with the fare wars between Air Asia and Malaysia Airlines, flying is dirt cheap.

Sorry, I should've been more specific. We actually bought our tickets from KL to Borneo - we'll be there from 10/1 to 10/9. I just meant getting to Gunung Mulu National Park from Miri/Kota Kinabalu - they recommend you fly, but they say that taking the boat up the river is an option.

Anyway, I'd definitely appreciate any information about it. Thanks.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Hello there, does anyone have a recommendation for a nice little guesthouse in Kota Kinabalu? We'll be there in a week and a half. I booked Dillenia in Miri on recommendation of this thread, and it looks pretty nice.

Thanks.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a place to stay in Chiang Mai for a week including New Years Eve? I stayed at one place a few years ago in the Santhitham area, and it was really nice, but I'd prefer to spend not too much money and be closer to the center of town.

Thanks!

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

duckmaster posted:

Just had a tooth taken out by a Cambodian dentist.

He gave me some painkillers to take when the anaesthetic wears off, "if it still hurts".

I'm not taking any chances on that one.

I had a dental emergency in Siem Reap almost 5 years ago and knew that I'd have to get a root canal. I went to a dentist as soon as I could and his two attempts at injecting novocaine failed. He injected my cheek, not my jaw. Then he told me to come back the next day because he ran out. I just flew back to Bangkok that day and took care of it there. It was $300 in Bangkok as opposed to $68 in Cambodia, but it was well worth it.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

Play posted:

In the "old city" (bordered by old walls and a filthy moat, a perfect square) there are hundreds of places. Julie's is pretty popular and I liked the common room but the accomodations were pretty poo poo. I found a really nice place that embarrassingly enough I can't remember the name of. I actually got to stay there for free for loaning money to the landlady, sketchy but she did pay me back. My advice is just to go walking in the old city, when you see a place, go in and ask the price and ask to see the room. You could probably hit 15 places in an hour or so, at which point you will probably have found something that suits. Unless you're a fancy pants.

My pants aren't too fancy, but I'll be traveling with my girlfriend and another friend, so it might be kinda hectic to find a place at the end of December. Or maybe not? I dunno, the only times I was in Chiang Mai my accommodation was already sorted or it was a slower time of year. All the full bookings on Booking.com are starting to make me nervous already.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

Play posted:

Sorry man I can't really answer this except to say that there will ALWAYS be something available in my experience. That being said, I have never visited Chiang Mai at that time of the year, nor have I traveled with two girls of indeterminate squeamishness. I'm almost positive you'll be fine. Plus making reservations over the internet in asia is really hard unless you're going to the super nice places. Sorry I can't be of more help, good luck!

It's OK, I appreciate the advice. I'll try to book something in advance. We'll probably book something in advance to spend Christmas in Pai and New Years in Chiang Mai or something like that.

On a completely different note, has anyone taken advantage of the new 72 hour transit visa/visa on arrival for travel through China? I just found out about it and might check it out on my way home in March. Is Beijing expensive? Is it hard to find a hotel near the airport for a decent price? Is transportation from the airport to the city relatively cheap? Is there a facility for holding luggage at the airport? Sorry for all the questions about China in this thread.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Is Facebook down for anyone? The Nation and Bangkok Post say that it's inaccessible because it's been blocked by the military but I can still access it for now. Does anyone know what other websites might be down?

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Hey, I'm headed to Phnom Penh in about a week and a half. How is it to travel from Bangkok? Is it worth the 2k baht to fly from Bangkok or have the conditions improved to the point where a bus is OK? Any advice on where to stay or what to do? I'll be in Cambodia for 2 weeks or so and you guys have made it sound like a fun place, but I don't mind going to a quiet little town somewhere for a few days.
Thanks.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

Tytan posted:

Depends what you are into and what stuff you want to see, but for a quiet place I always recommend Kampot and Kep down by the coast. Both are very pretty and quiet little towns about 3 hours drive from Phnom Penh, and from there it's easy to rent out a bicycle/moto/jeep and go exploring the countryside or hop over to one of the islands. You can get some great food down there too (fresh seafood + Kampot pepper is an amazing combination).

For a 2 week trip something like Phnom Penh/Siem Reap/Kampot/Kep would be great, again depending on what you want to do.

Thanks for that. Yeah I did Siem Reap a few years ago, so I'll probably pass on it this time. Kampot/Kep sound like fantastic ideas.

Has anyone ever taken the bus from Bangkok? I'm guessing it'll be a really long bus ride. I was also looking at heading to Koh Rong too - a friend of mine said it was fun there.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Wow thanks for all that info. That actually sounds like really pleasant way to go and much more interesting than flying in. Is that border crossing as annoying as Poipet/Aranyaprathet? Either way, I'll probably do that. Thanks again.

By the way, if anyone finds their way to Surat Thani without just going straight through and wants to grab a beer or dinner or something, let me know. I still have a few months here.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Oh looks like Ban Pakard isn't supported for the eVisa. Is it still OK just to walk up without a visa there?

Surat is nice. Pretty chill, though there's enough to do. I'm living on the opposite side of the river from the city, so it's even quieter there in the semi-jungle. There's a decent sized expat community here and the beaches aren't too far away. Plus it's pretty cheap here. I really like it here though I'm going to be ready for a move after the next semester.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Yeah I love it down here. It's gotten really popular the last few years it seems, for teaching at least. There's a Central here now with a McDonald's and Starbucks. Not far from the islands or beaches. The food is great, but there's not much of a Muslim or Chinese influence at all. You should definitely come by for a visit. There's enough to do around here to keep you busy for a few days - Tairomyen National Park, Chaiya, the Monkey Training College, Khanom beach, etc.

Thanks for the Cambodia information - I'll definitely be doing that.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

ReindeerF posted:

If you take the earliest bus from Mo Chit to Rongkluea Market (the border market at Poipet) around 05:45 then you can be at the border by about 09:00, give or take, as you'll miss all the Bangkok traffic. Depending on conditions, it can take from 15 minutes to 2 hours to cross the border, but figure on about 30 minutes. Once across, you can catch another bus to Phnom Penh that will take about 7-8 hours with a couple of stops. I find Cambodian buses to be unbearable for more than a couple of hours, so I'd get a taxi.

That said, the route I always recommend is this:

1) Bus or van to Chanthaburi. Bus from Mo Chit (3.5 hours), Van from Victory Monument (3 hours).
2) At Chan, catch the "rot pakard" sawngtaew from the market in town to Ban Pakaard border crossing (1 hour). Alternate, take the van from near the River View Guest House, I prefer the sawngtaew.
3) Cross the border into Cambodia, get a moto into Pailin (15 minutes).
4) Have lunch in Pailin and either decide to stay for the night (interesting for one night) or continue to Battambang (2.5 hours).

Personally I really like Chanhtaburi and Battambang, so this route is perfect for me and it breaks up the trip. Pailin is still quite a ways from Phnom Penh, because you have to take the highway up to the junction and then head back Southeast, but Battambang is a great old provincial capital and reminds me of Cambodia 10 years ago when it was sleepier. Also some great food there.

EDIT: If you want to do the Kampot/Kep stuff Tytan mentioned, then it's probably best to cross into Cambodia at Koh Kong via Trat. It's a scammy loving crossing for sure, but it's at the water, so it's where you need to be. For that one, do bus or van to Trat, get a tux tux or sawngtaew to the border crossing and taxi or bus from there varying by where you want to go.

So I went the route you suggested to Battambang (didn't stop in Pailin) but it was surprisingly uneventful and lacked any ripoff opportunities. I also haven't seen another westerner since the middle of Bangkok. Thanks for the advice, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Any specific recommendations here in Battambang - eating, drinking, or sightseeing? I only plan on staying two nights but I could stay longer if I want. Thanks again.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

ReindeerF posted:

Great! I've always found that to be the calmest, most ripoff-free way to go as well - also pretty.

On eats, I'm usually looking for Western food, so my Khmer recommendations aren't too hot, but I usually go to White Rose, which is in the middle of town. It's got a good cross-section of Khmer standards like loc lac, amok and other things. I also recommend the lemongrass chicken. Outside of there, I sometimes go eat stir fried noodles at the old market in the morning (dry, not wet). It's a more authentic experience, heh (you'll see). Also, Khmer BBQ will be good wherever you get it - mix the pepper and dried rice powder with fresh squeezed lime and go to town.

Aside from Khmer food, there are these really good spiced up cheese wontons (YES, I KNOW) at Gecko Cafe in the middle of town. Most of their stuff is good, but give the burger a miss. The Huevos Rancheros at Cafe Eden on the riverside are the bomb, as is much of their other food. There's a new place on TripAdvisor that's shot to #1 called Jaan Bai - haven't been, maybe give that a try and report back? I almost forgot to mention Patrice's places, Madison Corner and Pomme d'Amour. The latter is trying to be upscale and ends up feeling kind of corny and is a bit overpriced for what you get, but he's such a character that I usually go once anyway. Madison Corner, on the other hand, is a great place for breakfast, fries and sandwiches (and late night beer). Many of the Western places are run by missionaries (Gecko, etc) and Patrice will proudly tell you if you talk to him long enough that his restaurants are atheist (or something similar) which cracks me up. Other than that, just explore!

As for sightseeing, the Killing Caves is a bit dreary and your typical poorly guided tragedy tourism in Cambodia. It's a very interesting thing to see because of the old temple and the gun emplacements with monkeys crawling all over them - also, it's on top of a hill so you get a great view of the countryside. The bamboo train is gimmicky, but worth doing once. Don't make the mistake I made and start your tours in the afternoon and then end up coming back down dark, dusty farm roads in the cold rain way past sunset. There are also some art galleries where they train local artists and then sell their stuff and those are sometimes pretty cool. Once place also sells old Khmer antique signs and posters and things they've found, pretty interesting stuff.

Mostly I just go jog around the countryside and check out the people and places. It's a very quaint old colonial capital on the Western side where the old town is. Other side's kind of newer and forgettable. Have fun!

EDIT: Please try this place and let me know!
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g303666-d6712221-Reviews-Red_Chili_Mexican_Grill-Battambang_Battambang_Province.html

I love Mexican food ^__^

Wow I kinda wish I was staying here longer now. I got in Saturday afternoon and walked around the city a bit. I ate at white rose, which was delicious. Today I went around with a tuktuk driver and he took me to Banana temple and the killing caves with the temple/monastery on top. I could've sat at that temples for hours. It was so peaceful and beautiful with an incredible view.

I ate at that Mexican place - Red Chili. Oh my god it was set up EXACTLY like a Chipotle restaurant. Choose your type of meal (I got a burrito in a spinach wrap), then choose your rice, beans, protein, salsa, toppings, etc. As long as you're not expecting a completely authentic american burrito experien , you'll be pleasantly surprised. So thanks for that suggestion too.

I stayed at Battambang My Homestay. Out of the dozens and dozens of different places I've stayed in SE Asia, this has got to be one of my favorites. It was a little outside of town, but it was really comfortable, especially the bed. The owner, Mr. Kun, teaches law at a college nearby. He and his family were extremely friendly even by SE Asian standards. I know not many people will pass through Battambang but if so, they should stay here.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
I've found myself "stuck" in Kampot since Monday. I love it here and I don't want to leave. And actually I just extended my stay until this coming Monday. Everyone's right about driving in Cambodia. It's slower, but more stressful than driving in Thailand (to me). A combination of worse roads, much more fluid traffic activity, and the dogs seem crazier here, if you can believe that. I've met so many expats here too and I totally understand not wanting to leave. I haven't even done much, mostly sat around by the river drinking some Angkors and eating some awesome food.

The ribs at Rusty Keyhole are a bit overrated though.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

Tytan posted:

This is basically how I spend my time every time I go to Kampot/Kep.

Are you coming to Phnom Penh? Aeon mall is the only one that comes close to the malls in Thailand. We do have some pretty cool markets though, if you're interested in those.

I'm heading to phnom penh tomorrow... will be there 3 nights. I'm booked at the tea house hotel near the palace. Any suggestions on what to do? For the record I have no intrtest in seeing any more skulls. Seems like it'll be quite different from the past week here in Kampot.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

Tytan posted:

Yeah it's a definite change of pace. Phnom Penh has a fantastic eating/drinking scene so I suggest taking full advantage of that. Most places are within a few blocks of the riverside so it's pretty easy to get around. The riverside street itself is pretty touristy and can be kinda meh, but an afternoon beer at the FCC is nice. The variety is pretty huge for a small city so happy to give you some more specific recommendations if you let me know what you're into. Or let me know if you wanna grab dinner one night even, I work during the week but am usually free in the evenings.

Other than that, just go and explore the city, have a wander around some of the markets etc. Or if you want something a bit more structured, there are architecture tours you can take which let you see a few of the less well-known sights.

EDIT: And just cos I know Reindeer will suggest it - Go to zeppelin bar late night, order a beer and some dumplings, and try to get the DJ to smile.

That sounds great. I sent you a PM with my number.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
So first of all, I met up with Tytan (Matt) a couple weeks ago in Phnom Penh and that was a blast. Thanks again. The western (non-Asian) food in Cambodia was pretty drat good. So is the beer.

Beginning next week Air Asia is starting direct flights between Chiang Mai and Surat. It might not sound like a big deal (and it probably isn't to most people), but I'm looking forward to it. There are already direct flights to Bangkok and KL, but it's nice to have an option to bypass Bangkok completely. It's too expensive to fly from Koh Samui and it's annoying to fly to Krabi or Phuket and then take a bus/minibus to this side of the peninsula.

Again, if anyone ever finds themselves passing through Surat, let me know. It's actually a decent little place.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

Tytan posted:

Great to meet you dude, glad you had a good time here. Like I said give me a shout if you're back in town at all. And apologies for the crazy bar staff, although it was pretty funny... I've confirmed my theory that she is a lot better behaved when the boss is around haha.

Yeah I definitely want to head back to Phnom Penh and Cambodia in general. I really loved it out there. No need for apologies, even if her attention wasn't 100% genuine, it was still entertaining.

Completely off topic, do any of the Thai-based goons here know if there is some kind of decent online shop for getting Western products delivered to you? My friends and I make (semi-)decent beer here and we usually order our stuff online. It would be nice to order something like, I dunno, some American potato chips or shampoo from home that you can find in Bangkok but not Surat. Thanks.

LosMein fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 28, 2014

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

Gail Wynand posted:

Wait, is that law actually enforced? Do they check your IC at bars and such to make sure it doesn't say "Muslim?" If so, lol Malaysia.

Yeah Malaysia is awesome but weird. In Langkawi, the signs at all the duty free shops said that Muslims aren't allowed to buy any alcohol there. And my friend was telling me that in Penang they were trying to pass a law that only Chinese people could cook Chinese food, Indian people Indian food, etc. (Yes, I know that's not a religion.)

Langkawi sucks and is not worth a visit, despite the appeal of an entire duty free island.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

I don't think private rooms are still a thing even near KSR for 300/night. Maybe I'm wrong / maybe without AC.

Yeah that sounds almost impossible to find a single room that cheap near public trasportation.

My favorite place to stay in Bangkok is Suk 11. It is located.... on Sukhumvit Soi 11. It's actually pretty popular, but it's also really nice and cheap for Bangkok. It's located in Nana (haha), but it's right next to the sky train and a short walk to the subway. There is wifi, but not in the rooms (last time I was there, like a year and a half ago). It's quiet and comfortable. A single room with AC and private bathroom is like maybe 600/night? I think you can get a room with a shared bathroom for 500 or so.

https://www.suk11.com

If anyone sees a better deal than that, let me know.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Leaving Thailand in less than a month now... I will miss it here greatly. That's what I said 5 years ago when I left the first time too.

Surat's a pretty nice little town. I definitely could've lived in worse places the past two years. There's a Central Plaza now... with a McDonald's and Starbucks.

I posted in the China thread, and caberham kindly responded, but I figured I'll post here as well. I'm thinking of going to Hong Kong for a few days next month to see if I can find a job. I've heard that it'll be much easier to find a job in person. Does anyone know a good place to start? Maybe a good location to be in? I only ask because there seems to be a little cross-pollination with the China thread occasionally. I'll check out Hong Kong jobsdb like caberham suggested.

So if anyone passes through Surat in the next 3 weeks, I'll be happy to meet up. Otherwise, I'll be in Bangkok some time after that.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
It's pretty curious that it happened at the same time a fire (and explosion?) engulfed a co-op in Phun Phin owned by... Suthep.

If it is the southern insurgency, it would be a huge departure not just geographically, but strategically as well.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Hope all you bangkok goons are ok...

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
So I'm going to Bali for 3 days next week and I'm just really looking for a super quiet place with a decent beach to hang out in. I'm not looking for expensive resorts or hippies or partying or anything like that, just some place quiet. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'll probably have to stay near the airport my last night since I fly out rather early but as long as I can have a couple days' peace and quiet I'll be happy.

Also, I'm living in Singapore at the moment. It's cool but definitely the weirdest place I've been to in SE Asia. Who else is in Singapore?

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Well maybe my flight to Bali will be cancelled... Too bad I won't find out until I'm in the air.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Singapore has it's own thread, I always mention it since I didn't realize it either for a while

Huh.. imagine that. Well, it doesn't feel like SE Asia, so I guess it's appropriate.

Hey how's it going?

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
The Singapore thread is quiet and boring and I want to hang out here. Metaphor for my life.

I was legitimately disappointed that the bumgun is virtually nonexistent in Singapore. That more than anything else reinforces how little it feels like southeast Asia there.

The food is good but I miss Thai food so much still.

Also I'm going to Hong Kong for Chinese new years. Bad idea or terrible idea?

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
I met Tytan in PP last year. We had sushi and a bunch of beer. drat good time.

I also met up with caberham and a bunch of other goons in HK earlier this year. Nothing but great things to say about all of them, and Abe is a great tour guide.

I'll be back in Singapore next week. So far I'm batting 1.000 in meeting fun and friendly goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Some random thoughts:

I spent a week in the Philippines just 2 weeks ago. 5 days in Malapascua and 48 hours in Manila. Holy poo poo why didn't you guys tell me how awesome the Philippines were? I know you typed words into this forum and I read them, but someone should've shaken me by the shoulders and told me sooner. The beaches were great and everything was cheap. Plus the red-light district in Manila was pretty fun too. The food was... there. I'm already looking forward to the next time I can go back.

I also went back to Surat Thani for a very short 3 day visit. I don't care how much Anthony Bourdain raves about Singaporean food, you just can't beat the food in Thailand and Surat in particular.

My mom and cousin are coming to SE Asia in June for 3 weeks. They got tickets to Bangkok from Miami on Qatar Airlines (3 hour stop in Doha each way) for $860 US round trip each ticket. That's a pretty good deal and hopefully there are still prices like that for anyone that's looking to fly out to this part of the world.

Speaking of which, I'll have 10 days to spend with them. They're going to spend a few days in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, but I will go to Siem Reap with them for a few days to check out Angkor Wat. I'm trying to think of other places to go with them for 5 days or so (preferably in Thailand) but I keep getting stumped. They suggested visiting Singapore but I told them it's not really worth it if you only have a few weeks in SE Asia. My mom mentioned the Petronas Towers, but I definitely shot down a trip to KL, especially just for that. I should bring them someplace beachy but my mom isn't the most physically able person. Phuket would probably be a decent compromise but I was never a big fan of that place. Maybe I've just forgotten what it's like to be here for the first time. Any suggestions?

Last, but not least, if anyone wants to grab a drink in Singapore let me know. My schedule sucks, but I'll make some time. Especially you, Caberham and Tytan, if you guys ever come into town. I still haven't forgotten the good times you showed me in HK and PP last year.