Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Depending on how they messaged each other ahead of time, and whether / how the father confessed, you might be able to suggest issues with the chain of custody. Maybe he made it all up to pretend to be a hero, because actual police work is hard?

Having not watched the movie, nor wanting to, where, how, by whom, and on what grounds was he initially confronted and then same for how he was affected. If this guy shows up at the border and this agent says "There he is, the pedophile I was talking to!" I would imagine you could get a different result than being randomly selected for a search and having this guy Kramer his way in.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What if Hitler actually had a trial and needed a lawyer

:godwin:

... I thought that was what Nuremberg was for?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

blarzgh posted:

Part of the job is to make the State do their job, not just to protect the Rights of this particular defendant, but all the innocent ones who's rights will keep them from being wrongfully convicted in the future. It's so that we never start summarily deciding who gets a defense and who doesn't, because if we get there, then nobody will get one.

I have some very bad news for you about the correlation of someone's wealth with the effectiveness of their defense.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

blarzgh posted:

So, yes, the tree "owns itself" in every sense until some entity with the power to challenge that concept actually does so.

Given how much I seem to own myself on a regular basis I don't really understand why people might have trouble with this concept

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I'm just going to suggest you do a search with "Texas mental incompetent execution" as the relevant keywords and continue to lose any positive thoughts you have towards humanity in general.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Last I heard -- this was many years ago -- dude was just repeatedly cycling that loop. While incompetent he yearns for death, but can't be executed; while competent he wants to live. So while competent he refuses medications, and then decompensates . . .

That's just life in prison with extra steps, so sounds like competent him is getting what he wants anyway.

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Hi, I'm in Georgia and had a question about insurance payouts and what people are legally responsible for.

This doesn't fit with the research I've done on the situation. I believe that since my sister had no estate, her debts will go unpaid. I'm trying to encourage my mom to ensure that my sister's creditors don't come after any payout from that but she seems resigned to it. Who is right?

This post is just begging for the "you should ask a local lawyer" response.

joat mon posted:

He didn't appeal his conviction and death penalty, but apparently was convinced by his attorneys (and perhaps attorneys representing other people on death row) to contest the new drug cocktail and procedures.

To be fair, if the state actually had an interest in doing this painlessly, they have access to a number of things that would work perfectly well. Even if they don't want to switch to a gas chamber and just use nitrogen, they could give a massive overdose of whatever liquid opioids. But, then they might not sate the blood lust of their constituents!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

That's not a bird with a big dick, that's a bird that someone has decided to stick their dick directly under. Those dick pills actually make you want to gently caress birds I guess

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EwokEntourage posted:

why is this sexual assault showing up on my credit report

Sucks, but it goes away after 7 years iirc.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Azuth0667 posted:

What's the next step if a company violates a settlement agreement that was reached via the state attorney general mediating the dispute?

Contact the state attorney general's office? NAL but feels like a reasonable first step if the AG had an interest in the situation.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

pentyne posted:

I was under the impression that a lot of that drug dog stuff was the handler themselves doing something to initiate the dog's behavior as an excuse for a search.

As above, but also, the handler making them perform a hit isn't the probable cause, it's the dog itself. The assumption is that the dog can be considered a machine that will only register the scent of only contraband materials; if that's no longer true, the dog alerting can no longer mean contraband is probably present, only possibly present, which is the level of "officer stated the presence of an odor of marijuana"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

some_admin posted:

A friend mentioned he’s “pretty much the executor” of his friend and former roommate. Is just assuming the role of executor of an estate a possibility for non family member? It sounded like the kids and survivors were all good with it, but I feel like this is opening yourself to incredible liability both criminal and civil. Won’t there come a point in time when he have to commit fraud signing something or is it possible to just skate through it if no one complains or notices?

If you die with no family, no one can be executor of your will, and you get to take it all with you.

Pharaoh discovers this one weird trick. Descendants hate him!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Even if you win the lawsuit, how in the world do you expect to collect?

Remulak posted:

Your friend should NOT go to the embassy.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Bird with burned dick

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

From the Newspaper Spiderman thread

MorningMoon posted:

Peter, love you taking action like this, but why'd you even tip the car then

Let's say that the police arrive to the lobby with Yates (a prominent would-be politician) and Blackie (a known criminal) tied up together, and Spiderman hands them a folder labeled My Crimes before loving off into the night. The folder contains evidence showing that Yates had, and is continuing to have Blackie organize a crime wave so that Yates can get elected on a "Law & Order" platform. Let us assume that the police are able to do some due diligence and the evidence can be confirmed to the extent that can be verified, so it seems to be legitimate.

Could this information be used in a criminal prosecution of Yates, even though it was illegally obtained by Spider-Man?

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 19, 2024

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

CongoJack posted:

Saw a semi with a big sign on the back that says “Caution stay back. We will not be liable for damage to your vehicle!” Is that all it takes to not be liable? Can I put one of those on my car and dump rocks out occasionally from the trunk free from all liability for the damage?

My non lawyer guess is "lol no but it helps keep litigious assholes in BMWs away"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Nice piece of fish posted:

They can at least point to the sign as exhibit 1 and do the legal version of I warned you about the stairs bro, but it doesn't in and of itself absolve them of all liability no.

E: this is a terrible snipe

Let me try: If I clone myself but make a clone without a brain, and I gently caress the (inert) clone, is that rape because it couldn't consent? Wouldn't it be assumed that it would consent regardless? Is it incest because we are related? Is it necrophilia (or attempt necrophilia) if I make the clone without a medulla oblongata, because it functionally can't survive unassisted without one?

I feel like there's bound to be relevant case law for brain dead individuals on life support (and possibly Lawyers :haw:)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Right, sortof. If he doesn't post the bond, the State can start selling off his poo poo to collect the money, so that the money is guaranteed to be there for the victims at the end of the case. Meanwhile the appeal proceeds of he files and requests one. If he wins he gets the money back.

He could avoid having his properties sold forcibly by choosing some to sell himself.

He could avoid having his properties sold forcibly by not directly treating the court with contempt at every opportunity, but here we are I guess.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

bird with big dick posted:

If you had some largely cash based side hustles and wanted to hide the money from a bankruptcy court what would you do with it? Get a safe? Hide it in your house? Safe deposit box? Do bankruptcy courts ever get so fed up with debtors activities that they search their homes or have a PI watch them for a week?

Call Saul Goodman, probably

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Something something Al Capone something Tax Evasion

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

members of the press? or maybe the bailiff

ooh the artist who draws the people in the courtroom, its that guy for sure

Don't throw empties at the court painter, they give us the best parts of courtroom drama.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

To be fair, it's a nice change from "MESOTHELIOMA?!?!?!?" And "INJURED?;?!?!"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Skunkduster posted:

For street level dealers, is there any legal benefit to claiming their profits from drug sales when they file taxes? Like, when it comes to court, is the judge going to offer leniency or a reduced charge because they paid their taxes on the money they earned from selling drugs?

Only insofar as the revenue services can go after them for tax fraud. As I understand it, the IRS doesn't really care where the money comes from, as long as it's properly accounted for in your return. Same with tips, etc.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I remember there was post earlier in the thread about a mistaken identity subpeona. Well,

how does this idiot have a non-zero chance of the presidency :negative:

Racism, and a significant dissatisfaction in the status quo.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

busalover posted:

If I entered the Capitol on Jan 6 as an independent journalist, with no affiliation to a major news outlet, could I be in legal trouble? Let's say I documented the whole day on my Youtube channel.

I would say you've made the prosecutor's life much easier by putting the whole thing up publicly.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Burma Shave

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Grumpwagon posted:

Ah yes, the ancient principle of "two wrongs make a right"

In this case, it sounds like "Too long makes a Wright"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EwokEntourage posted:

bait cars and poo poo are usually publicly disclaimed. DPD always put up big signs that say "bait car in area Dallas PD monitoring"

I'm curious about the reasoning behind this. I cannot imagine that An Reasonable Ordinary Person would steal a car on their own, why would they need to warn about a bait car existing?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Imagine someone abandoned a car in front of your house. One might, conceivably, get in it to drive it away and take it somewhere else. Or call the cops a hundred times about the nasty abandoned car in front of your house.

I remember getting in a huge argument with a boss of mine once when he asked "hey, do we need our insurance to cover driving on unpaved roads?" and I'm like "brother, do you not live in our state, this is the South, we're on unpaved roads every week"

I'm probably not normal, but if someone parks in front of my home and the car has not moved in 24 hours... It's probably still fine? I would leave it for several days getting concerned, and for longer before asking the police to consider it abandoned and please let me have it towed?

Maybe I'm not understanding how bait cars work; are they left for a month in the hope that someone decides that no one is going to miss it if they take a joyride?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

honda whisperer posted:

https://youtu.be/RmxDLAtj6jE?feature=shared

They made a TV show about it. Basically they drop a running car off with keys in the ignition in the most obvious way possible. This does nothing to suppress actual car thieves. It just gets opportunistic idiots convicted of car theft. But number of arrests goes up so ~tough on crime~.

:psyduck:

E: I would not have chosen the Nazi YouTube account for that one.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Atticus_1354 posted:

I'm in Texas. My landlord has an abandoned horse trailer on his property from a previous tenant. Is there a way to legally make it my trailer?

Have you tried asking your landlord?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Nice piece of fish posted:

I should watch that series but I'm afraid it's too much like work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR1m29cNVsc

... This is your job?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The Pirate Captain posted:

I once ordered a watch and they delivered two by mistake. I didn’t do anything with the second and after 3 weeks they emailed and asked for it back. They sent a box and I sent it back and it was done, but I did keep the extra free hat that came with it. Am I going to jail?

Yes, but it's not related to the order or the hat

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

When you attempt to remove a grain that has already been removed, this potentially corrupts the memory manager that handles the heap, meaning that the future behavior is undefined. While a heap technically remains, attempting to put anything else on it may cause unexpected failures.

Please do not attempt to remove sand that is no longer present.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Skunkduster posted:

I thought this type of thing was only in horror movies, but this guy is doing it for real and covering his rear end legally. I guess you can consent to almost anything with a two hour video presentation and a 40 page waiver.

The Something Awful Forums > Ask/Tell > Legal Questions: I guess you can consent to almost anything with a two hour video presentation and a 40 page waiver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

This Mike Dunford, PhD seems like a pretty good dude.