Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

There's pictures floating around of two front facing child seats installed in the back of challengers with three kids grinning ear to ear - so the Challengers can't be that cramped. I'm seriously tempted - especially since they come is wicked colours like sublime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

they're also considerably quicker. all 3 manufacturers have a pickup capable of a sub-6 second 0-60.

With the Hellcats and Ford pushing their eco-boosts, I'm surprised we haven't seen a resurgence of muscle trucks. Ford did have the tremor sub-model last year but that like the little black express wasn't anything overly special. Just parts bin option packages. I want the RAM SRT-10 and Lightning to make a come back. So I can loving buy one.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Mange Mite posted:

Bonus Murano donk:

I can't hate this. Actually, this one wraps back around to amazing. Kudos to the owner on a job well done. It is possible to make the Murano 'Vert not terrible.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I know Tesla's all in for the electric future, but I bet they'd sell the crap out of a model with a 30kWh pack good for about 100 miles, and the extra space filled with a 5-gallon gas tank and microturbine for extended cruising.

Jaguar had the right idea with the CX-75 concept. Gimme those sweet APU turbines and a torquey direct drive electric motor already.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Huge_Midget posted:

Alfas are the insanely hot college girlfriends of the auto world. Sure they are loving gorgeous and they will gargle your balls while jerking you off on their faces but as soon as you aren't looking they are going through the pictures on your phone and throwing all your stuff into the street and then lighting it on fire.

This is the greatest summary of Alfa Romeo I have ever heard.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Also I'd buy one tomorrow because I'm a sucker.

I wholeheartedly agree. The only thing that I would prefer over a rotary - and if Mazda dug deep and went with the rotary goes "mmmmmmm", would be a turbine. It still laterally fits the rotary ethos of rotational energy only and Jag had a lot of positive response with the first revision of the C-X75 concept.

How's the Mazda 2 / Demio rotary hybrid doing anyways? http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/stories/rotary/newera/

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Aren't the iM's rebadged Mazda 2's?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

It's not just the engine/trans either for the sky active cars. Look at the weight of a Mazda 3/6 vs. the competition as well. They're always the lightest in their respective class now.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Anecdotal obviously, but I am actually quite impressed with the Ford six speed that is in the 2015 Mustang and F150s. Once the factory programmed sport mode is engaged, it's 90% of how I would manually shift in both timing and speed. I think they're called the 6R80?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

They should make a pony car rally series. Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers, etc. in the woods doing the Dukes of Hazzard thing.

AutoX has CAM-C and CAM-T, both of those classes should absolutely be added to all rally governing bodies.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I desperately want it to be the new Fiero.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Mazda absolutely still has a rotary skunkworks team.

I'd bet the next rotary also has HCCI ignition.

Absolutely, there are engineers still working at Mazda who started fresh out of university and have literally only worked on rotaries. That's 40+ years. It's been their entire life. I hope they still have enough pull to steer the R&D ship.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Those fake rear vents make me unreasonably angry.

I hope some tuner makes a kit for auxiliary fluid coolers to live there.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Yes, whoever signs off on those things should be shot into the sun. Or recycled into biofuel.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I'm scheduled for a G70 manual rwd test drive just for shits and giggles next week. $45k CDN MSRP sounds half decent.

I am very much interested. They're a little heavier than I'd like, but everything is these days.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

McTinkerson posted:

I'm scheduled for a G70 manual rwd test drive just for shits and giggles next week. $45k CDN MSRP sounds half decent.

I am very much interested. They're a little heavier than I'd like, but everything is these days.

Update on this; just got a call from Genesis Canada. There are no manual RWD G70's in Canada yet. ETA is apparently Q3 of this year. As soon as the local dealer gets one, I will get to drive it for 24 hours.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

TKIY posted:

Has anyone driven the G70 yet?

I've been trying to for the past two months. Genesis Canada has told me they won't have any manual G70's until Q3. They couldn't even give me a more exact date.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Manual transmission 2019 G70 test drive booked for September 7! Canada finally has some. Well, Edmonton has one....which they took delivery of today.

Will post info if there is interest.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Guarantee every car journo has a reverse obit piece written up already for the spiritual successor to the Aus Falcon, just waiting to pull out of the drawer for that moment.

If Ford resurrects the Falcon along with the Barra, I am in 100%. I want all the Barras.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Update on attempt #2 of trying to test drive a manual transmission Genesis G70.

Summary: Genesis Canada is doomed.

Test drive was scheduled for 1730 yesterday. 1730 rolls around, no car or contact. I wait 45 minutes and say gently caress it and start going about my evening.

At 1930, I get a text message saying they just got the car back from the shop and when would I like to reschedule.
No apology. They didn't clue in why I was pissed off that they didn't call, text or email me when 1730 rolled past and they didn't have the car back. They were willing to share why it was in the shop though. Electrical failure.

For a brand that is trying to be luxurious, they're failing pretty hard.

I'm going to send an email to Genesis Canada and let them know what a disappointment it had been thus far.

I am not hopeful.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

This is spot on. It’s worth two minutes of your time.

What is the contact email for Genesis corporate? All I can find on the companies Canadian site is the generic customer support email and phone number.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Are 350Rs selling for sticker now?

My local dealer has two left over non R's for under MSRP right now.

Edit: Just checked, 2017 GT350 non R MSRP 81k CAD, currently listed for 69k CAD.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 17, 2018

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

In areas that salt or brine the gently caress out of the roads, the F150 wins by default since rear fenders won't have disappeared in 3 years.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

370z Nismo R Nurburgring edition

CVT only

As long as the CVT keeps the revs at continuous peak horsepower, sounds good to me.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

All CVTs are still poo poo, though.

CVT's as a whole belong behind turbines and in front of superchargers. Turbines because they hate changing speed and superchargers because you have infinitely variable pulley sizing.

They do not belong anywhere else. EVER.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

1000hp Hellephant crate engine

It's been a while since we've had the srt-10 ram....I would daily a hellephant ram.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

And if you absolutely need a pickup, here's your Mazda REPU.

Enjoy, citizen.

I see you left a typo in your answer.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

So uh, the new Benz E53 AMG's are magic....I just test drove an E53 Coupe (zero wagons or even sedans in stock) and I am both more excited and afraid about a new car than I have ever been. Time to start looking into selling the daily to potentially make room.

That new M256 is amazing.

Edit: The new E class wagon generation has an deceptively large cargo area. Two large adult dogs can stand up in the back.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 5, 2019

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

to do all the stuff you do in an e class wagon but faster and with better handling and noises

Exactly. I wasn't as clear as I should have been in my post, I wanted to test drive the E53 wagon and am now trying to figure out how to make a custom order happen.

Faster with better handling and a 90% rear biased all wheel drive system.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I guess it adds something to driving to get groceries/picking up the kids from school?

Is the e63 being replaced by the e53?

Both are being sold side by side for the 2019 and 2020 model years, at least on Canada.

The M256 also gets 8l/100km in the city in wagon trim thanks to all the F1 tech in it.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Fuel cooling on return systems isn't that uncommon on super high injection rate vehicles. Doesn't the Dodge Demon also cool the fuel on 100 octane mode?

Edit: phone posting grammar

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 6, 2019

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah, especially the wagon versions. The C class wagon has basically zero extra room in the trunk vs. the a class hatch. The E class wagon has an insane amount of space, especially vertically. Two adult Labrador retrievers can stand up in the back comfortably.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Another reason why the take rate on the manual G70's in Canada is that Genesis Canada is absolute garbage.

Pretty sure I've ranted about my experience to even test drive one a few months ago.

Edit: Phone posting

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

PT6A posted:

If they're going to make ill-advised impractical tech demos, I want a car with on-demand KERS like a Formula 1 car.

Mercedes has got you covered with the new M256. Extra 160ftlb available after you spent some time braking heavily.

Edit: https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/a26907503/2019-mercedes-amg-e53-straight-six-engine-tech/

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

There is no way that the general public had any idea and all decision makers for the auto manufacturers do not either.

We could have electric twin motor RWD coupes with wheelie control that could hold daylight under the front tires and steer until you let off the go pedal. Except no one who has any imagination has access to the purse strings.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Wheeee posted:

what magical batteries will power these electric supercars?

Electric motors have never been the limiting factor, and doing those crazy hard launches puts extreme wear on the batteries

In no way is the vehicle I'm describing a supercar. Nor would it's range exceed that of a motorcycle with a full tank. If the Leaf or similar batteries had a proper thermal management system, you could get away with 200kW of power to the rear wheels.

If EV West can parts bin electric beetles in a shed and VW can can now build a motor for the ID.3 that fits in a gym bag, all the hurdles are dropping quick.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Q_res posted:

The new 7 speed manual is a Getrag unit, it's supposed to be available in 5, 6 and 7 speed variants and is purported to be "hybrid compatible".

If this is put behind the 2.7, that means it will have the right bellhousing bolt pattern to manual swap F-150s.....

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

ilkhan posted:

I bought a 6M Mustang GT, ordered when it books opened and it was the first day's production for MY2016. I don't regret buying the truck that replaced it, but with I could have kept both.

But I loved the V8 growl, and the only car I bothered to cross shop at the time was an FR-S, which impressed me absolutely zero.

Truck lease is almost up, baby is a week out, and honestly I have no idea what's going to replace the truck. Nothing is impressing me in the price ranges I'm allocating. Was pretty dead set on a Y, but I'm rethinking that lately...

Macan with sport chrono (or a Cobb tune).

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

The whole owners manual stating spark plugs are due at 160k km for the first time is a lie on boosted engines. Even if they're iridium, they are absolutely wearing down before even 100k km. This might be more of a "LOL domestics hurrrr", but the new ecoBoost Fords eat plugs at fast rate and idle gets noticeably worse past 60k km. Past 100k km, CEL's for misfires are a guarantee.

Not to mention that all manufacturers have different use case levels. It's almost impossible to end up in the normal use intervals. Depending on the climate, you're by default in the severe and then the maintenance intervals start making a little more sense again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

I would also wait until the Hyundai 2.0T - a slow, inefficient, and unreliable motor - gets dropped for the new 2.5T in any vehicle that has the 2.0T as an engine option.

Do not look into the history behind the 2.0T engine, it will destroy the reputation you hold of Hyundai.