Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

With as light as modern steering electric racks are you can probably just drive with your nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Lol this guy has to explain why a mid engined layout is better.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Under 60k woah.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I've never considered a Corvette as a car I'd want to get until this one (i'm 29) so good going GM.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Plenty capable for driving slowly to the golf course.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If you don't have to have a manual, Lexus is a great option with a ton of engine choices.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I saw an X2 on my dog walk today and i was surprised how much I liked the outside. I hate everything it represents, but styling wise pretty good.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

https://jalopnik.com/dead-bmw-3-series-gt-bmw-6-series-gt-bmw-6-series-gr-1837073188

Best BMW news.

All weird, gross GT car models DEAD.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Also kills the ride.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If acura still made the tsx sport wagon, it would be an AI favorite.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Isn’t that basically the RDX? My neighbor had one and said it was fun. Until he got an X3 with the six cyl...

Wagon always looks better than a slightly lifted fat wagon, ahem i mean small SUV. And the wagon had more cargo room both seats up and down.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Lexus front ends grew on me, I still don't like that the LED bit on the lights is disconnected from the rest of the light. Kind of makes it looked tacked on.

I'm a huge Audi fanboy when it comes to their aesthetic. It's clean (boring to some i think) and efficient design and their headlight/tailight game is always on point. Gimme an A7.

BMW is hit or miss. A lot of the cars look bloat-y to me with some lines thrown in. It starts to look alright when you get to the M versions and the fenders are WIIIDE, but other cars just look like a dented can that's inflated now. The new M4 coupe concept looks A LOT like the Q60 to me.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 11, 2019

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Tekne posted:

I'm hoping the manual G70s get hit with the depreciation bat in a few years.

Sorry but used market for manual is the opposite.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

There's no word on Mercedes ever bringing the smaller AMG wagons here is there?

No we just get the glc or whatever cuv abomination.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The Prong Song posted:

I think they've threatened to sue the auto manufacturers because they've "chosen" to allow CARB to override national law, thereby defeating Trump's plan to get the production costs of new vehicles down by thousands of dollars (which he then assumes will be passed on to the consumer).

EDIT: vvv If we didn't have the Electoral College, then southern Cali would decide the pres. Local political values don't translate across the nation.

Have you heard of this place called Orange County.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Mazdas aren't connected to the internet yet, so if you are concerned about that sort of thing, the answer is always Miata.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Miata. Always a Miata.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Scheduling a test drive ahead of time helps cut through some bullshit.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I feel like if they tuned the torque dip out from factory people would not complain that much about that engine. Not only do they have it, BUT THEY SHOW IT TO YOU ON A GRAPH WHILE YOU'RE DRIVING. This was a very dumb feature to include because that's a huge impact on your feelings and really that's what matters - that's why fake engine noise is so popular. I've always found it strange why it's slower than a Miata to 60.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I never really expected to hear an "it's too heavy" argument for a 2700lb car.

It's not that 2700lb is heavy, it's that the Miata weighs 2300lb, with a ton of lightweight considerations all over the car (aluminum everywhere for instance). Whereas the BRZ has a bunch of stamped steel econobox parts underneath.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

JK Fresco posted:

If they did that then you would complain about the price

How does mazda do it for less money?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

So from all of this discussion so far: Mazda did the thing better and more efficiently; will sell more; can't fit as much stuff.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The 86 may only have a 33% take rate, but the BRZ has a 78% manual take rate. It really just goes to show you how the brands are shopped.

The WRX may actually be the highest take rate in the US as 90% of the cars sold were manuals. VW does pretty good with the GTI/R at 44%.

However, don't forget the sales numbers. Looking at absolute figures, toyota sells about twice as many 86s as subaru sells BRZs. So as far as the number of cars that are out there in the manual, they are closer in total terms.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

There's no way they would kill the manual option on either BRZ or 86, unless they had some trick DCT or fast shifting ZF unit to substitute in. R..right?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If the US somehow overhauled the licensing process it could make things safer. For instance, you can only drive a car as big as the one you took your driver's test in. You can retake the driving portion with bigger vehicles if you want a bigger one. This alone, would reduce car size I'd think or at least make people slightly better at navigating their massive land barge around.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 9, 2019

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Wheeee posted:

this is a forum where pointing out that an F-150 is more dangerous in a crash to other vehicles than a Civic gets you talked down to by people who think that's bullshit because the crash tests are into walls of infinite mass it's just physics duh

58% of collisions are single vehicle.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Regular Avant wagon coming back. :getin:

Edit: god drat it the Allroad. :sigh: maybe it’ll be like a normal car?

You can air ride it down to acceptable height but you still get the dumb plastic cladding.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Average AMG buyer almost certainly doesn't care.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

So any of you who are praising the current Benz V8, would you own one out of warranty?

I'm sure it'll go like a rocketship and they will pump in some fake noise and everyone leasing one of those will be plenty happy.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

High-strung four pots aren't as durable as "unstressed" V8s?

Twin turbo is "unstressed"?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

On keeping cars a while there was a story recently over here that one of our MPs drives a Bentley from the 30s and that it was destroying the planet. He drives it 1000 miles a year and the newspaper was saying it kicks out so much pollution... then a bit later they said it would take him TWENTY FIVE years of driving a fully electric car to offset the manufacture of it vs just driving the Bentley. Who keeps a car 25 loving years??

This calculation is so off because of the very low miles driven. Most EVs can "offset" themselves in 3-7 years depending on the car with "normal" driving. This is a decent breakdown I think https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RhtiPefVzM

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Powershift you should sue: https://jalopnik.com/were-really-doing-this-huh-1839290802

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Well if anyone can make an I4 sound bangin', it's the folks at AMG.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

BuckyDoneGun posted:

I’ve got relatives in Italy and from their descriptions, yeah calling it a first world country is certainly a stretch. Never mind that the various regions all loving hate each other and don’t consider any of the others to even be “real” Italians. One example from my uncle, he’s spent 2 years trying to get a stable internet connection and none of the companies involved really care that much. Currently, he can’t even receive incoming international calls. Can call out just fine, the caller ID we get is the right number, it just doesn’t work when you call it back.

This isn't too far off rural America, granted Italy is tiny in comparison so I don't know why they can't figure out internet.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That person looks pretty short.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That mustang cuv thing looks a little kind of like a discount Macan. Hope Ford designers are reading Powershift's posts because his is better than what the mule seems to look like so far.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

stevobob posted:

Yeah, see, this is exactly what I expected them to do. Especially after Elon saying the truck would be able to carry another truck in its bed (now clearly referring to payload) but moreover that he said it'd be a scaled down version of the Semi.

This is a render I took from this article but I expected something more like this, given that it actually does look sorta like a scaled down semi and have a big-rear end cargo area. Imagine a 10 foot box with the same footprint as any other pickup on the road, or an eight or six foot box with that much shorter overall length.

A modern Kei cargo electric mini truck like this would own.

I hate trucks and think they are dumb, but I like CYBERTRUCK thing for its weirdness and maybe that's the point? A truck for people who hate trucks.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

So really it sounds like it's bulletproof (somewhat) accidentally due to what materials they were going to use anyway. Which is fine.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

CyberNUTZ a $6000 option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The Supra is skewed for the street more so than the track from what I understand. Savagegeese had a good take on it. So yeah under 10/10th I bet with the shorter wheel base it's a handful. But it's not really intended for hardcore track driving (maybe later there will be hotter versions).

I'd get a miami blue Cayman any day though.