Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
$500 per is a big number in vehicle cost accounting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's pretty much a necessity in the entry level sport sedan market in the US to offer AWD, and most AWD variants have some unique parts.

edit: the better question to ask is "why offer the IS in the first place" if you're looking at it from a bean counter perspective

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 4, 2024

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Japan is pretty hilly and snowy so it makes sense to offer some little Haldex systems on various JDM cars.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

basically no cars are running on a centralized architecture other than Teslas. Poking around in a non-tesla EV I learned there are 72 separate control units. ICE cars aren't really better in this regard either. CANBUS is a mess.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Good

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Franco Caution posted:

So everything is going to be loving expensive going forward?

what do you mean, "going forward?"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

theres gonna be cash on the hood no doubt and i feel like most of those cars enter the market through Enterprise et al anyway

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

harperdc posted:

If that's accurate, the "big rigs" isn't even close and probably just a truck driving without a trailer -- that works out to 8t metric, which is a GVW range that doesn't require CDL in most of the U.S. to my knowledge.

meanwhile actual semi-trailer/U.S. Class 8 trucks fully loaded are that up to 44t metric GVW range, CDL is (I believe) 11t metric GVW and up.

18k lbs is not unreasonable for axle loads. steers are like 12k. but the other vehicles are not axle loads so it doesn't make any sense.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The R3X has some Delta vibes

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I dig Rivians. The R1s, the R2 looks cool, and my wife digs the R3 as well. There's no set dimensions on the R3 yet, but apparently the wheelbase is 5" shorter than the R2. If the length follows the wheelbase, that would put it at about 180" long, which is CX-5 sized. The pictures they've released of it make it super hard to get a sense of scale.

Edit: Only picture I've seen that includes a person:

And I think the wheels are 20" so you can probably extrapolate some length with a decent profile shot.

The rear seats are really far back, if you look at the interior shot the headrest is somewhat screened by the solid C pillar. There's only a vestigial cargo space under that hatch. Pretty annoying, although you do get a frunk I guess.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

darnon posted:

Then just get the R2 if your complaint is the R3 is too short? :confused:

My complaint is not that the R3 is too short, it appears to be a great overall length! it's that the packaging is kind of annoying and diminishes the utility of having a hatchback.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Just get a Canoo pickup.

A R3T is more likely to exist than the Canoo pickup and I put the odds of the as-shown R3 seeing the light of day in the low single digits.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

tetrapyloctomy posted:

LMAO I spoke too soon, I see

I have my fingers crossed, I'd like to see more smallish trucks and vans on the road.

Yeah the Canoo is super neat and it would be great if it succeeded but... yeah. Building cars is hard.

That Army contract is for a singular LTV that is functionally a homebuilt prototype. It's meaningless unless there's a major production order, which there won't be, and if there is, Canoo ain't gonna win the contract to actually build it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 8, 2024

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

drat that is a good post

edit: It's also not like Ford is the only OEM to do this, Subaru famously had those cool little rear facing seats in the bed of the Brat to try to get around the rule. I suppose they stayed installed to the customer, though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

wow that is not an attractive car

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

For the windows, yes, I mean all the other ones on the separate panel. They seem to be flat, maybe with some ridges separating some of them

they look like the buttons on the og motorola razr flip phone which is honestly pretty rad

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the i4 and the 4 series is not the same

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

kill me now posted:

They literally are, its an electric 4 series gran coupe.

weird, i had in my head that they were different

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

fknlo posted:

Having hated it at first it has grown on me and I still have yet to see an aftermarket "improvement" actually improve the looks. It looks fine on the M cars while still awkward on the regular versions.

agreedo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the front of the 2 series looks bad

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

honda makes stupid money in NA and a lot of the platforms are shared with non-EU ROW including China

CR-V is 3rd in total sales, Civic is 7th, Accord 11th, HR-V 14th.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

That's not a car, that's an NFL playcall.

:hai:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I am willing to eat my hat - M5 Touring officially coming to the US per BMW USA

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Just get an E60 M5 right now

no, we were hoping for better reliability and lower cost to own than the $185k twin turbo hybrid Bavarian monstrosity

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Is the "enthusiast requested product" a 2.5 ton AWD automatic hybrid that's the size of a school bus?

This used to be a forum. A proper AI forum.

its a kind of lame forum if we can't find a 700 hp wagon cool

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

no lube so what posted:

its healthy not to be blinded by HP numbers when considering the holistic coolness of a whip

2.5 tons will never be that cool

are you saying that the Mercedes Benz 600 and the Lincoln Continental are not cool

I would much prefer that we have essentially an E39 wagon but modern but that is not possible in 2024

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

its not like earlier incarnations of the M5 were some paragon of affordability

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Keyser_Soze posted:

Yeah, people just wanted a normal BMW 330-340-540 wagon like Audi still somehow manages produce, although the A4 is plastic cladding cursed only. If BMW's rationale is "that will steal SUV sales!" they are dumb and lazy as it really wouldn't impact X3/X5 sales much at all.

It's very hard to tell since Allroad sales are rolled in to the respective A4 and A6 but the A4 does fewer than 15k units a year so I don't think the Allroad is much of a seller. I agree that a hypothetical 330 wagon wouldn't cannibalize X3 sales because it wouldn't actually sell.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

front end has tundra vibes and I don't mean that as a compliment

it's certainly uglier than the current one and it's a lot uglier than the new US market LC

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

that is ugly and its got China domestic market only vibes

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

What the gently caress is that badge?/grille? thing.

thats like the best part

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sab669 posted:

They don't mean in the literal, "What is it" sense, but more of a "jesus who ever thought to cut out your emblem into the bumper" sense

its got hard core early 80s vibes, we love to see it

the rest of the car is nasty but that parts cool

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

this is like people in 1985 talking about hyundai lol

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Muscle Tracer posted:

Hyundai as a name at least means something, if not in English. Chery and Exeed feel all the weirder because they are clearly English-inspired, but with weird mispelings evocative of, like, Tumblr.

what about like... acura. or camry

feel like people really need to look a bit inward about why they think that this particular iteration of Strange Names is bad

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

root beer posted:

Camry is the romanization of kanmuri, making it yet another goddamn Toyota called some variant of Crown (Crown, Corona, Corolla).

[edit] ninja’d

Muscle Tracer posted:

they've at least gone whole hog into making something up entirely, a time-honored tradition. spelling things wrong on purpose has a much more "local HVAC repair guy" vibe, or "insufferably twee 2010s internet" vibe.

boys it literally is exactly the same, Chery is a romanization of their name.

edit: i suspect a bunch of you would be sitting around saying some pretty dreadful poo poo about the Japanese brands when they came to the US

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the hybrid 4 is a great powertrain for a family sedan and those of you longing for the V6 camry should get better dreams

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

What is this doing for me that the Q3 wasn’t nominally doing already?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Yea, that's what I don't get is why they changed it up. IDK, it's like they're just giving up even trying to suggest that their 'Allroad' models can go Off road. Call it all street, because really it is just for the streets.

i mean yeah modern crossovers aren't designed to go off road

The original Allroad was somewhat capable but it would almost certainly break, stranding you up a forest road to be eaten by bears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah I was gonna say I don't mind an extra few mm the way :wrongcity: streets are these days (and in the past)